X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2FewDaysAtFlyingField View Post
    Here is my P-47 in the "Toots" livery in honor of my Mom who has the same nickname.
    I finally got a chance to fly "Toots" the other day. I'm running 5800mA Revolectrix 6S batteries in her and managed to fly for 11 minutes of pretty spirited throttle (75%+) and still had about 40% left when I landed. Its not a pylon racer with the stock setup but it does fly very scale which I liked. While I was flying her, one of the guys at the club queued up some 40's big band "Glen Miller" and was piping through his stereo making the flight even more fun.

Rolls were axial and slow, negligible ballooning on flap deployment, perfect 2 point scale touchdowns upon landing. I'm running a Eagletree Guardian in her and it really made my landings in 10-12mph crosswinds seem uneventful. Full throttle yielded some nice big loops, rolls, immelmans, etc. I'd give her a 5 out of 5 but the foam does seem rather soft to the touch. I already have a few finger impressions in the wings surfaces from assembly. My next flights will be with full ordnance!

Comment

• I am liking what I am hearing about this bird for sure!! Mine will be here this afternoon(Mar 23, 2017) and I am sooooooo excited. I have the Top Flite kit in the same livery as the model, and wanted to see how they compare to each other. I have never mounted an engine on the Top Flite, though it has been completed for about, oh, 8 years now!!! It will be nice to finally have a nice, scale Razorback in the air!! I was either going to use the Admiral 6S 5000 in it, or a pair of Turnigy Graphene 3S 6000 65Cs in it. Hearing that you are getting 11 minutes with a 5800, I think I will go with the Turnigys. They are a brick and a half though. I guess I will make the decision tonight after she is together and on the balance stand!! Thanks for the review, and I will be posting mine very soon!! Happy Landings!!

Comment

• Kloverzero if those packs are any larger at all than the admiral 5000 pack you are going to have to carve. Some people have posted they have to carve to even get that pack in but ive found if your patient and you reach in and hold the strap against the side of the battery you can slide it right in for a nice snug fit.
        Dewey l

Comment

• Has anyone replaced the fake radial engine with something a little more scale looking? If so, what did you use? What scale is this plane? I did a search on "radial" and could not find anything in this thread about it. Thanks, Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by J Mitchel View Post
            Has anyone replaced the fake radial engine with something a little more scale looking? If so, what did you use? What scale is this plane? I did a search on "radial" and could not find anything in this thread about it. Thanks, Jeff
            Hello J Mitchel and welcome to the Squawk
            Here's a nice little thread that can help ya determine the answer ;)
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Has anyone got this to balance at 90-955 super tail heavy
              AMA 1102566

Comment

• I got mine to balance at 95mm with the tank busters on
                AMA 1102566

Comment

• So after a quick flight I am left baffled. After trimming and it needed some it kept trying to rise or elevate with the nose. Leaving the rear end like dragging around in the sky if that makes sense. Was a handful to get down. Was like it was tail heavy. Even though its not and the 6s 4000mah admerial is all the way forward to the stop behind the radial.
                  AMA 1102566

Comment

• I think your still tail heavy. I fly with the 5000 on the tray as far forward as possible. The plane balanced level and flies great. Mind that the 5000 is so wide that it causes the straps to hang on the foam and the tie wraps for the esc. Being patient and reaching in you can get it to slide inall the way to the back of the bulkhead. Also move the straps to the inside slots on the tray. In Ryans video he shows he stood his on its side but i dont see it going all the way beacause it cant get in the recess up frount. A little trimming on the left side would help but i haven't done it because i can get mine in. Ill try and post the pictures. Hope this helps. Also remember the instructions tell you to balance with the drop tank on.

​​​​​​​
                    Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
                      So after a quick flight I am left baffled. After trimming and it needed some it kept trying to rise or elevate with the nose. Leaving the rear end like dragging around in the sky if that makes sense. Was a handful to get down. Was like it was tail heavy. Even though its not and the 6s 4000mah admerial is all the way forward to the stop behind the radial.
                      AK,
                      Check your CG with gear up, it does swing nose heavy when down.
                      Gotta suspect that you were slightly tail heavy if you established you CG with gear down and especially using a 4000mAh which is almost 5-1/2 oz lighter than the 5000mAh battery spec'd for it at the 90-95mm CG.
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I always balance inverted gear up. I added 2 oz to the nose balances better. I did not know it was speced for the 5000mah. Mine came direct from FMS so I guess I did not catch that. That would explain it. Wonder if my elevator trim is gonna need to be reset now again since its not tail heavy. Although I think lots of that was just new plane setup. It was going up and would almost indert if I let it lol. I did drop a gear door cover lucily it was 10 feet after take off. That would have been lame. Funny because on the t28 you need a maul to get them out.
                        AMA 1102566

Comment

• Also it has a nice bearing TWACK when you crack the throttle. I never like that and to me its a sign of sloppy tolerances. Shear pinion shafts in 4x4 SCT like that lol.
                          AMA 1102566

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9204.png
Views:	423
Size:	872.8 KB
ID:	70109
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (76).png Views:	1 Size:	641.3 KB ID:	70110

Great day for a photoshoot!

Comment

• Yeah my weather took a turn back to chilly today so I did not get back out. Nice pictures as always. Waiting for that 4k 60fps footage ;)
                              AMA 1102566

Comment

• If you've never seen it the movie "Thunderbolt" by the U.S. Air Corps is on Netflix, I highly recommend it. The original "Memphis Belle" is also on there now.
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Anyone have issue getting this bird down? It just kept floating forever it seemed and would not touch down. It did fly better with the weight in the front. I noticed it had a higher stall rate in the banks than I am used to. No biggie there but the landing has been wondering. I need to make a sharp 90 at either ends of my field so I cant really cut lots of power with this bird in the turn.

Also good lord is this foam soft.
                                  AMA 1102566

Comment

• Yea your right its a floater and is soft. Ive found with any wind much i have to force it down. Ive been putting a couple of clicks down in to help. Its not the ideal method but at least your able to come in with some power and elevator management. Ive also found that the rough field conditions at our field no matter how soft you set down it still wants to try and get back up. I even got our vice president of rhe club to fly it and he was taken aback trying to get a good landing. Anyhow not much help. Hope to fly it off something smooth soon and see how things go then.
                                    You would think with the weight it would settle right in but the reports of light wing loading are spot on.:Confused:
                                    Dewey l

Comment

• Came down a little hard and poked a hole right through the wing with the retract. I stil cant get this plane to fly right. It crabs all over and the rudder is straight dead even. Its like the frame is twisted on a car.
                                      AMA 1102566

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

OK Pilots...........the results are in for the 550 motor with the 16" Raider prop and a ZTW 85A Gecko ESC on default settings in a static test.

I did a 100% throttle for 15 seconds using an Admiral 2200 4S 45C fully charged to 100%. Results are:
                                        10% used with 90% remaining capacity on battery. Temps on motor and ESC were insignificant(read warm)
                                        Vm = 12.43 ; Ah = .164 ; Ap = 88.85 ; Wp = 1142.3 ; Wh = 2.1
                                        Next was 75% throttle for 30 seconds which used another 30% with 60% capacity remaining. Temps cool
                                        Vm = 13.04 ; Ah = .329 ; Ap = 45.52 ; Wp = 618.1 ; Wh = 4.3
                                        Last was 50% throttle for 30 seconds which used another 10% with 50% capacity remaining. Temps, didn't even bother to check
                                        Vm = 14.66 ; Ah = .213 ; Ap = 28.64 ; Wp = 433.6 ; Wh = 3.1

So based on the above readings I can expect about 4-5 minutes on a 4000mAh 40C Admiral with mixed throttle management and I also have a couple 6000 which would add another couple minutes to the total.
                                        At full throttle with 1100+ watts I should have no issue going vertical past the FAA ceiling(or my eyesight :p ) within the 5-15 sec burst.
                                        So now I just need for this upstate NY crap weather to go away to maiden the Razor, Tiger and a handful of others.

The prop shaft that comes on the 550 is the thinner base adapter so I swapped it with the 650 P-40 motor that I put in the F4U and now both aircraft props look appropriately spaced.
                                        Here's how the prop and motor look on the Razor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0548.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	60573Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0549.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	60574Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0550.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	60575
                                        After waiting and waiting for this BS upstate NY weather to get better the Razor finally got its maiden today with the above quoted power upgrade from almost 3 months ago.
                                        (I probably could have done it yesterday when Twowingtj invited me to fly at his clubs field but I had another commitment.)
                                        So the result of this upgraded in one word is.............AWESOME :)
                                        So go and do it Aros.......you'll be happy with the results. ;)

I was using a 6000 40C 4S which put the CG perfect @ 93mm when the front of the batt was flush with the front of the tray.
                                        No elevator or aileron trim was required but did require 8 clicks of right rudder trim to straighten out the left crab it wanted to do swinging that 16 inch Skyraider prop.
                                        Got my flaps @ 15 and 30 degree settings but don't see the need to use the 30 cause it was stupid floaty at that amount. The 15 degree flap got her down gentle in 10 mph winds in what I have to believe is the slowest touchdown speed I have ever experienced on any of my warbirds.
                                        The CG is spot on cause the inverted position required no down pressure to maintain level flight.
                                        Our grass runways are still pretty rough until I get the final roll done later this week but those oleos handle it very well.
                                        Had to use high rate 100% elev for taxing and takeoff to keep from nosing over but once in the air the low rate of 60% was very capable of doing Cuban 8s.
                                        I got 8 min of flight using mixed throttle management which averaged 60% throttle with several full bore passes and big loops.
                                        Speaking of full bore passes, this has the same impressive speed and air shredding sound as my HSD Skyraider............NICE
                                        Had anywhere between 17% to 28% remaining in the tank with the higher IR level batteries seeing the lower percentage.
                                        The stock power plant from this bird got put in the P-40B and can't wait to maiden that in the coming days.
                                        Best regards, :Smug:
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Great news CB, good to hear you finally got to open the season, and sounds like you did it in style my friend. So your going to run 6s in the tiger! Interesting, of course both these planes will be blistering the skies over Muncie I gather!!

Can't wait!!!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X