Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The left side, top and canopy are finished. I will knock out the right side tomorrow. I am happy with how it’s turning out.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Looking GOOOOD!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• After 4 days all the rivets are finished.

I am ready to start applying all the graphics. I purchased the nomenclature set from Callie. Does anyone have any info that shows where all these decals go? Any help here would be appreciated.
        Thanks!!
        Anthony

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
          After 4 days all the rivets are finished.

I am ready to start applying all the graphics. I purchased the nomenclature set from Callie. Does anyone have any info that shows where all these decals go? Any help here would be appreciated.
          Thanks!!
          Anthony
          WN, A decent single reference is not out there best I could find at the time. I can only explain how I worked it out as well as I could. When I saw Callie Graphics Nomenclature Sheet, it looked as though it had been designed like a plastic model kit decal sheet. So I bought a decal set for my VF-111 Phantom online that had as much of the nomenclature as I remember and more. I used the placement sheet in an Academy kit I bought online as well for reference finding the marking on Callie's nomenclature sheet to the corresponding on the Academy kit sheet. I then marked Callie's sheet with same number from the kit sheet and then referenced only the Academy kit placement sheet with I applied Callie's nomenclature. This was no easy task, but based on your rivet detail you've done so far, this method might work well for you. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Waconut, This was most helpful, I hope this helps. Rcvd you PM and I will put some photos a PDF and send those to the email account you provided. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 Caricature.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	249626

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
              Waconut, This was most helpful, I hope this helps. Rcvd you PM and I will put some photos a PDF and send those to the email account you provided. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 Caricature.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	249626
              Photo looks like it went long on the carrier landing and ran into the tower, only to compress. On second thought, looks like one of my birds after landing and hitting "The Wall". Sorry, getting a little "Cabin Fever".
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Now it’s starting to look like an F-4. I will finish up the graphics tomorrow.
                Attached Files

Comment

• WN, Lookin' sharp, Sir. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I still need to install the RC Geek double afterburner and add some more nomenclature. I have been burning the candle at both ends on this thing for 2 weeks. I think I will give it a rest for a couple days.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Waconut, She is a gorgeous thing. Love the livery and of course the extra details. Bravo Zulu, Sir, and it never hurts to take a little break. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I still need to install the RC Geek double afterburner and add some more nomenclature. I have been burning the candle at both ends on this thing for 2 weeks. I think I will give it a rest for a couple days.
                        I second LB's comments, outstanding. You'll love the new double burner, but don't forget the aluminum foil and dark sunglasses.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I second LB's comments, outstanding. You'll love the new double burner, but don't forget the aluminum foil and dark sunglasses.
                          I have the foil tape waiting.

Comment

• Waconut Just beautiful Bro!!! Congrats! Excellent work! Jerry

Comment

• Hi guys,
                              I am getting ready to program my radio for the F-4. I remember reading in this thread that the recommended elevator trim of 8mm up needed to be more like 12 mm up for level flight. Is this correct?
                              The first thing I did when I received the plane was to install a 4-40 ball link rod on the elevator and I checked to assure the elevator servo was secure.
                              I plan on setting all the throws per the manual.
                              Thanks!!
                              Anthony

Comment

Hi guys,
                                I am getting ready to program my radio for the F-4. I remember reading in this thread that the recommended elevator trim of 8mm up needed to be more like 12 mm up for level flight. Is this correct?
                                The first thing I did when I received the plane was to install a 4-40 ball link rod on the elevator and I checked to assure the elevator servo was secure.
                                I plan on setting all the throws per the manual.
                                Thanks!!
                                Anthony
                                Waconut, this may not help and be somewhat confusing so first let me apologize if it is.

I set up my transmitter for Flight Modes assigned to the flap switch which then allows me to trim, in flight, any surface I choose at each flap position. No guessing what the elevator trim is in the Flap System menu elevator adjustment trims and having to land, change them and see if it works better. I use those estimates as just a starting point and refine and trim in flight during the maiden and it's set for good after the first flight (and you can change it in flight at anytime if conditions change). I'm a huge proponent of using the Flight mode with all planes that have flaps. Setting the transmitter for it is easy and takes about 30 seconds. For those that don't use it, you should, makes flying a plane with flaps so much easier. To set it up, go to the second menu page and under F-Mode Setup just select your flap switch (in my case that is D). You can also go to the menu under that called Spoken Flight Mode and set that. Then go to Trim Setup a couple menus below that and change Aileron and Elevator to F Mode. Your Done. That's where (the Trim Setup menu) you assign any surface you want to be able to use the trim switches in flight. I do the elevator, which is a must, and also the ailerons (but you don't have to). If you get each flap to deflect the exact amount, it won't change the "roll" of the jet when using flaps, but if it's not exact, you'll find the plane may also develop a slight roll when changing flaps. Adding aileron adjustment then is a great tool. I must say that virtually every plane I have flaps on end up with a couple of clicks adjustment on ailerons with each flap setting. It also allows you to trim when at different speeds, for example, I trim flaps up with around 60% throttle for level flight. Then, with take-off flaps, at around 50% throttle (with the thought that the plane is flying slower on take-off). With landing flaps, I'll trim it for level flight around 35-40% throttle so the jet stays level at that throttle on the in-bound glide slope but actually begins "losing" altitude.

With all this being said, my elevator adjustments on my camo F-4 ended up with the servo travel shown on the Servo Setup menu at 0 for flaps up, -20 for take-off flaps and -25 for landing flaps. These numbers do not correspond exactly to trim clicks or % on the Flap system settings, but are a more exact correlation to how far the servo itself has actually traveled. (For example, if your starting point is say -3 because you adjusted the 0 point of the flaps in the transmitter sub-trim section, then use -23 and -28, as long as the relationship between the 3 positions is the same). Oddly enough, the amount of travel for my blue angel F-4 is actually less than the camo, maybe because of the extra weight the repaint caused and the lead I had to put in the nose to CG correctly from that added weight).

I hope this helps, but no matter what compensations you put in on the Flap System menu, do set it up for Flight Modes. I always start for the maiden with more up elevator than I think it will need as for me it is easier to trim down elevator in flight than to fight a bird that wants to go down, point it up, quickly add some up trim and rush to get your fingers back on the elevator stick. With the Flight mode set up, it's a lot easier to correct in flight than to have guessed wrong and have to fight it into landing to adjust then.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Elbee
                                  Elbee commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Hugh-b-doo-b-doo, Which TX/RX do you use? Best, Steve

• Hugh,
                                Thanks for taking the time on the explanation. I am an oddball I fly with a Hitech Aurora 9 radio, have been for the last 8 years. Anyhow I have the plane setup per the manual on the throws with the elevator set at 8mm up trim in the neutral position. I have flap/elevator mix set per the manual as well.

I did get the double burner installed and I am working on installing the aluminum tape now.

I just need to pick up a small 2S battery to hook up the burner.
                                Later!!
                                Anthony

Comment

• @Ebee, I have a DX9. It works on a DX6/7/8 etc, but I don't think the DX6E or DX8E has it. I've been trying to talk Aros into using Flight Modes in the F-16 thread and my written explanation got a little wordy and was awkward to follow. He then found this video which describes it well. This is a must for all of us, I have this on every plane with flaps and it makes the initial trimming so easy and lets you make any corrections whenever you like WHILE FLYING.

https://youtu.be/wdbDLKbwd_o

Sorry, should have uploaded the video instead of the address.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I have a DX6 I bought for foam park flyers. All my bigger and more complex planes are all on the Hitech.

Comment

• Here it is:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                        Here it is:
                                        Hugh, I appreciate the video; however, I fly Futaba 8J with Futaba RX's. There is decent programming, though I don't know if it's as versatile. I have not done much mixing, just the normal Rates, Expo, End Points. I will research this more. Thank you. Best, Steve
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X