Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futaba Todd Hey there, I know that field! Apollo, my home away from home. Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Futaba Todd. Sharp work on your vintage UA livery! Who shot the photos... Ken?
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Beautiful livery Todd. I'm not sure if we've met. I'm Winston Brown former Valley Flyers President 2016-2018. I now live on the Eastcoast.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        If you can get the proper travel on the flaps and ailerons, it shouldn't matter what they look like. They may not even look like what mine looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.JPG
Views:	1358
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	237426
        Ok thank you i mounted right...

Comment

• OK I'm ready for the maiden tomorrow i have two options for lipos a FULLPOWER 6S 35 C 4200 and a TURNIGY GRAPHENE 5000 45C with weigh more and is bigger tan thee FUULPOWER...Any suggestions with picture where i can locate the lipo in a safe position for the correct CG in the direction of a little nose heavy.Also do i use exponential like 30 % on all channels except of course trootle and flaps...100% dual rates ? Thank you i'm really scare for tomorrow...Wheather sun with 5 km wind...

Comment

• Speaking of flaps, why in the instructions does it state to mix up elevator with flaps? I have never needed a mix with flaps on any model, warbirds or the airliners.
            I'm thinking a misprint.
            Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredardi View Post
              OK I'm ready for the maiden tomorrow i have two options for lipos a FULLPOWER 6S 35 C 4200 and a TURNIGY GRAPHENE 5000 45C with weigh more and is bigger tan thee FUULPOWER...Any suggestions with picture where i can locate the lipo in a safe position for the correct CG in the direction of a little nose heavy.Also do i use exponential like 30 % on all channels except of course trootle and flaps...100% dual rates ? Thank you i'm really scare for tomorrow...Wheather sun with 5 km wind...
              With a plane this large, I wouldn't be worried about the added weight of the Graphene. I actually would welcome the added weight (it may aid in some stability in the wind) the Graphene would provide, as well as the added capacity compared to your other battery and likely better power output (likely improved voltage under load). There is plenty of room in the battery bay for the 5000mah 6S or larger capacity.

I would not base your LiPo placement based on visualization within the battery compartment to achieve the proper CG. Instead, it is always best to check and confirm the actual CG with your fingers on the provided CG marks once the battery is in place. If the aircraft doesn't balance on the recommended CG, move the battery either forward or aft until you achieve balance on the CG. After a few flights at the recommended CG, then you can fine tune further if needed to personal preference of flight character.

I don't own this aircraft, so others can chime in on their rates and expo . However, this aircraft will likely not be overly sensitive on the flight controls, so I wouldn't worry much about higher throws, and it will likely not need a lot of expo. Others can verify.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

With a plane this large, I wouldn't be worried about the added weight of the Graphene. I actually would welcome the added weight (it may aid in some stability in the wind) the Graphene would provide, as well as the added capacity compared to your other battery and likely better power output (likely improved voltage under load). There is plenty of room in the battery bay for the 5000mah 6S or larger capacity.

I would not base your LiPo placement based on visualization within the battery compartment to achieve the proper CG. Instead, it is always best to check and confirm the actual CG with your fingers on the provided CG marks once the battery is in place. If the aircraft doesn't balance on the recommended CG, move the battery either forward or aft until you achieve balance on the CG. After a few flights at the recommended CG, then you can fine tune further if needed to personal preference of flight character.

I don't own this aircraft, so others can chime in on their rates and expo :). However, this aircraft will likely not be overly sensitive on the flight controls, so I wouldn't worry much about higher throws, and it will likely not need a lot of expo. Others can verify.
                Thank you i will consider your advises !

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredardi View Post
                  OK I'm ready for the maiden tomorrow i have two options for lipos a FULLPOWER 6S 35 C 4200 and a TURNIGY GRAPHENE 5000 45C with weigh more and is bigger tan thee FUULPOWER...Any suggestions with picture where i can locate the lipo in a safe position for the correct CG in the direction of a little nose heavy.Also do i use exponential like 30 % on all channels except of course trootle and flaps...100% dual rates ? Thank you i'm really scare for tomorrow...Wheather sun with 5 km wind...
                  Go with the Graphene. I have the 5000 Turnigy Heavy Duty, 60-120C that I'll interchange with my Revolectrix 5000, 70C which weight slightly more. This plane will take a huge battery load (6000mah+). As for where to put your battery, everyone will have a slightly different position so seeing a picture isn't going to help you and you really shouldn't go by those pictures anyway. Use the CG marks already on the plane and put the battery wherever it needs to be to achieve that balance point (a little bit more forward if you want it to be slightly nose heavy). 30% expo is not excessive for a plane like this, but it depends on your experience level and personal preference. Most TXs allow for dual rates and some can give you triple rates. 100% is generally the max rate you should try but if you have 3-position switches for rates, 100% can be your middle rate and something lower for the low rate. Since it's been said that this plane has a very slow roll rate, you can also dial in a high rate of more than 100% if you want to do more spirited, passenger puking type of flying. Start with medium or low rates on everything and change each one as you get a feel for it in flight. I have each axis on a separate switch so I can change the rate/expo for each one as it suits me.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

I don't own this aircraft, so others can chime in on their rates and expo . However, this aircraft will likely not be overly sensitive on the flight controls, so I wouldn't worry much about higher throws, and it will likely not need a lot of expo. Others can verify.
                    True. I took my expo out except for the rudder. It helps for better control on rollouts and takeoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by LowandSlow View Post
                      Speaking of flaps, why in the instructions does it state to mix up elevator with flaps? I have never needed a mix with flaps on any model, warbirds or the airliners.
                      I'm thinking a misprint.
                      Any thoughts?
                      I rarely use an elevator mix for flaps because I go with a slower flap deployment rate (3 to 4 seconds) and like on the real jet, I don't deploy flaps until the plane naturally begins to slow down in preparation for landing. Those who don't use a delay and those who slam on the flaps before they even begin to slow down, will likely see the plane "balloon" or take a sudden dip. Real planes don't slam on their flaps at the beginning of the speed decrease. Why would you do that to a model? Don't worry about whether or not it's a typo. Go fly the thing and see for yourself (with some altitude) on a fly by what the plane does when you deploy flaps the way you have it set up and the way you deploy them. If you've got it set up right and deploy them at an appropriate time, you may not need compensation at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by LowandSlow View Post

True. I took my expo out except for the rudder. It helps for better control on rollouts and takeoffs.
                        If you find the plane is a bit of a roller coaster ride, then maybe you should put some expo back in, especially on the ELE. "Touchy" (or too sensitive) control doesn't always translate into "better" control.

Comment

Go with the Graphene. I have the 5000 Turnigy Heavy Duty, 60-120C that I'll interchange with my Revolectrix 5000, 70C which weight slightly more. This plane will take a huge battery load (6000mah+). As for where to put your battery, everyone will have a slightly different position so seeing a picture isn't going to help you and you really shouldn't go by those pictures anyway. Use the CG marks already on the plane and put the battery wherever it needs to be to achieve that balance point (a little bit more forward if you want it to be slightly nose heavy). 30% expo is not excessive for a plane like this, but it depends on your experience level and personal preference. Most TXs allow for dual rates and some can give you triple rates. 100% is generally the max rate you should try but if you have 3-position switches for rates, 100% can be your middle rate and something lower for the low rate. Since it's been said that this plane has a very slow roll rate, you can also dial in a high rate of more than 100% if you want to do more spirited, passenger puking type of flying. Start with medium or low rates on everything and change each one as you get a feel for it in flight. I have each axis on a separate switch so I can change the rate/expo for each one as it suits me.
                          Ok thank you for your help ! I'm flying actually a BAE HAWK FMS A FREEWING F16 70MM AND A SUPER SCORPION 90MM FMS...With the BAE HAWK wich i love i have done at present time more than 250 flights...

Comment

If you find the plane is a bit of a roller coaster ride, then maybe you should put some expo back in, especially on the ELE. "Touchy" (or too sensitive) control doesn't always translate into "better" control.
                            Thank you...!

Comment

• I agree with XViper and flap to elevator mix. I personally do not use any mix unless I feel a plane absolutely benefits from it. For maiden flights and even the second flight, I do like programming any flap to elevator compensation mix because I want to see exactly what the plane does upon each stage of flap deployment. Additionally, as he said, using appropriate airspeed when deploying flaps will provide a more accurate depiction of pitch changes that may or may not occur. I've also seen some instances on maiden flights where a pilot has the opposite direction of mix needed for the flap to elevator compensation and/or too much compensation mixed in, and that can be an unpleasant surprise.

Also, if enough channels allow on the receiver, separating the nose steering from the rudder can be beneficial, as you can then allow more expo, separate throws, more easily adjust steering, etc. to provide a more fine tuned steering response than would occur from keeping the rudder and nose servo being on the same channel.

Comment

I rarely use an elevator mix for flaps because I go with a slower flap deployment rate (3 to 4 seconds) and like on the real jet, I don't deploy flaps until the plane naturally begins to slow down in preparation for landing. Those who don't use a delay and those who slam on the flaps before they even begin to slow down, will likely see the plane "balloon" or take a sudden dip. Real planes don't slam on their flaps at the beginning of the speed decrease. Why would you do that to a model? Don't worry about whether or not it's a typo. Go fly the thing and see for yourself (with some altitude) on a fly by what the plane does when you deploy flaps the way you have it set up and the way you deploy them. If you've got it set up right and deploy them at an appropriate time, you may not need compensation at all.
                                I agree. I am using two three position switches for four flap settings with 5 seconds for a delay. I always deploy flaps 1 and 2 on the down wind after lowering the gear and I slow enough to feel the need for elevator input. As the plane slows on the base leg I set flaps 3 and on final I slow for full flap. Never a need for a mix.
                                A lot of people I hear mix in down elevator but that would tell me the plane just has too much air speed for that particular setting.
                                On approach and final your throttle should be used more than the elevator (except for flare) to maintain atitude.

Comment

• I have what may be an odd question. I have been asked to static display my AL37 at a show. I thought it would be neat to have the lights on. So my question is, will it hurt the ESCs or the servos to have the plane sit for an hour or two with a battery plugged in so the lights are on?

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                                    I have what may be an odd question. I have been asked to static display my AL37 at a show. I thought it would be neat to have the lights on. So my question is, will it hurt the ESCs or the servos to have the plane sit for an hour or two with a battery plugged in so the lights are on?

JB
                                    Probably not but just to be safe, I would get an external BEC that puts out 5-6v, plug that into the RX and power the BEC with a 2 or 3 cell LiPo. That way, there's no chance of any juice going into the ESCs and no chance of accidental engine power up. This is my set up for powering up RXs for binding before installing into a plane and also to power a servo tester.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.JPG
Views:	960
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	237689
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Freewing AL37 flying in South Africa at IRF (Irene Radio Flyers)

Comment

• Pierre Du Plessis (Flysafair Livery) Daniel Ralefeta (Kulula Livery)

Comment

• P-8 Poseidon conversion. Continued.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X