X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darius,
    I used a gloss clear coat on mine. It looks really good in the air.

Comment

• Thanks Waconut,

I was just worried about the imperfections of the foam showing up, but I'm guessing, like you, that most people have used a gloss clear coat.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Anyone calculated the Wing Cubic Loading on this plane?

Comment

• From the manual....

The 110g/dm^2 is calculated with the weight of the battery included.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	062FFDD7-578B-4447-A540-9DD9B2418B28.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	281048

Comment

• I'm actually just trying to confirm my calculations. My plane has come in at 4962g all up flying weight, and with the wing area of 36 dm2, gives a wing loading of 138 g dm2 (44.37 oz/in2 !) or a CWL of 22.9. This seems astronomical considering how nicely it flies. Anyone else do the calculations?

Comment

• Works out to 0.313 oz / sq in

Based on the following:

1 dm^2 = 15.5 in^2

28.4 g = 1 oz

wing area = 36 dm^2

4962 / 36 = 137.8 g / dm^2

137.8 / 28.4 = 4.85 oz / dm^2

4.85 / 15.5 = 0.313 oz / in^2

Comment

• Logged 4 flights till now on the AL37.
                Moved the battery aft from the recommended CG by 1,5inch. This has a positive impact on the flying characteristics
                but still does not allow me to flair during the landing (stick full up!!!!!! and can’t get the nose up) with the recommended throws on the elevator. Also, TO run takes a lot of the length of our runway.

This makes me believe that the CG is still not OK.
                As requested previously, is there really nobody willing to share their CG position, measured on the wing?
                I presume I’m not the only AL37 pilot, struggling with this.....

Already many thanks for helping,

Eric

Comment

• Mine is balanced right on the marked CG and I can touchdown and roll on the mains for a long distance before the nose comes down. Take offs are not excessively long either. You don't say how you are balancing this plane. The CG marks are on the underside of the wing. That's not where you hold it. You hold it upside down. Balancing it right side up is somewhat hard to do as it teeeters too much and you usually get it wrong.

Comment

• +1 it's one of those rare instances where I set the CG according to the manual and left it there. Plenty of stick left to flare with assuming you're carrying power down to the threshold, but she will come in like a javelin dead sticking lol.

Too much flap/ele mix perhaps? Using take off flap setting? They're pretty effective on this thing.

Comment

• I too am flying at the recommended CG, I tried moving it back slightly and it had adverse effects.
                      My plane takes off on grass in about 250ft and I have no issues flaring on landing.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                        Works out to 0.313 oz / sq in

Based on the following:

1 dm^2 = 15.5 in^2

28.4 g = 1 oz

wing area = 36 dm^2

4962 / 36 = 137.8 g / dm^2

137.8 / 28.4 = 4.85 oz / dm^2

4.85 / 15.5 = 0.313 oz / in^2
                        Yes, that is the wing loading, and in sq ft it is 0.313*144 = 45.16 oz / sq ft. wing loading. the wing cubic loading is 22.9 which seems really high. just wondering if anyone has got the same results? this is almost twice as high as a scale war bird, which are beasts to fly at times. this plane seems to be so gentle. lol

Comment

• Has anyone successfully matched the white paint? I've tried a couple of different times at Lowes and Home Depot and it's not really close. Can you post the paint codes?

Comment

• civil airliners - gloss for me.

Comment

• Lowest chance of solvent attack on foam with these.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_63268.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	281189Click image for larger version

Name:	image_63269.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	281190Click image for larger version  Name:	JP Hobby Brake modification_Page_3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	281191Click image for larger version  Name:	JP Hobby Brake modification_Page_4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	281192

Comment

• For an admiral 6s 6000, the battery is half off the wood plate, so I made a fiberglass extension with another strap retainer. The backend of the plate rests on the bridge holding the wing tube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tray.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	281197

Comment

• My son, Ryan, is starting to rack up some flights on his AL37. He has his flying great on an Admiral 6000. He moved his battery back about an 1.5". I think he has it where he wants it at this point, it's flying perfect. It's amazing how realistic it looks in the air, he's having a ball with it. He flew it at dusk last Sunday, the lights looked fantastic.

Comment

• JB - can Ryan take photo of where your 6000 is positioned?

Comment

• Oh yeah, would be great such a picture!
                                        I’m also flying on the 6000mAh packs!

Regards,
                                        Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by Straightshooter View Post
                                          JB - can Ryan take photo of where your 6000 is positioned?
                                          Sure thing, no problem.

Comment

Working...
                                          X