X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IFlyAtlanta View Post
    Had an interesting issue during setup. One of the screws for the fixing ring on an elevator just snapped in half leaving part of it in the fixing ring. I don't see how to easily get it out. It's tight but I am nervous about how it will hold up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Might try this or a similar set purchased locally....
    They have saved my life several times. Could likely save the collar and insert a new screw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VFM3Q5Y..._am6AFbK8W38C9

-GG

Comment

• Were you bearing down on the screw pretty good when it sheared off? If so the shaft is soft enough that I doubt you will able to get the collar off if you do drill it out. I snugged mine down slightly as a test and then tried to remove the stab and the scoring on the shaft hangs on the bearing and I could not get it back off. If I were in that situation and I knew the screw was tight when it sheared off I would put a drop of CA on it and call it done. Just my opinion so don't blame me if the the screw isn't tight and comes off during flight #13 hitting a large truck causing it to run into a school bus......

Originally posted by IFlyAtlanta View Post
      Had an interesting issue during setup. One of the screws for the fixing ring on an elevator just snapped in half leaving part of it in the fixing ring. I don't see how to easily get it out. It's tight but I am nervous about how it will hold up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        When you splice the two wires together and install that into a plug, there's only one pin that's used?
        If you are using an old servo extension lead I suggest cutting the other 2 leads off and keep the pins in for a more solid connection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

Why do you say that?
          Just not used to that much stick movement. I learned to fly without expo or dual rates many moons ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post
            I would put a drop of CA on it and call it done.
            ...me too. You can not only glue the screw in place, but you could glue the collar to the rod (carefully). Worst case, if you ever need to change out the elevator, you can just unscrew the two holding screws in the fuse, and throw away the rod and the elevator.

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post

Just not used to that much stick movement. I learned to fly without expo or dual rates many moons ago.
              You may want to reconsider that the moment you get a more neutral CG and start using full throws, more so if you enable tailerons.

Originally posted by IFlyAtlanta View Post
              Maybe contact MRC customer support?
              They may send a replacement part.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Remember how you said not long ago that you weren't going to "nit pick"? You haven't stopped, have you? Many here have long since stopped caring. I'll use "nose heavy", "tail heavy" as I please. Almost everyone knows what it means.
              I'm just trying to instill good practices to prevent confusion about a topic that is crucial for our jets to fly well.
              Sorry, not sorry.

Thanks goodness I asked for forgiveness in advance.

And no, 'most of us' clearly doesn't accurately reflect reality.
              "Many" do NOT understand.

It is not a sin to not understand, but it is pretty condeming to not want to learn... at least for pilots that pretend to fly safely a 170kph 6kg jet.

Comment

• I posted this on RCG, but might as well throw it out here for what it's worth.

Flew the third flight today. The flight was normal...takeoff, 3 min of flying around, drop the gear, turn to downwind, drop the flaps, and start a big wide base turn to final. Just as the plane was about lined up on final at 100 feet altitude the plane suddenly rolled hard to the left. I tried to correct with full right aileron but the plane wasn't responding. At this point 60 years of flying took over and I was just fighting to get the plane level again. At some point I realized that the plane was inverted at 50 feet and about to crash. Somehow I had a quick thought to try rolling left. The plane responded so quick it rolled 360 and was inverted again. I rolled left again and managed to get level upright and chopped the power and just fought the plane down to a pancake landing in the tall grass.

Walking to the crash I was somehow thinking that the radio had failed. But, looking at the plane I quickly saw the problem....split flaps. The right flap was extended, but the left flaps was retracted...actually a little more than normal retraction location. The damage is relatively light....broken nose cone, broken nose gear, banged up wing tips.

Here is video of problem with flaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

You may want to reconsider that the moment you get a more neutral CG and start using full throws, more so if you enable tailerons.

Maybe contact MRC customer support?
                  They may send a replacement part.

I'm just trying to instill good practices to prevent confusion about a topic that is crucial for our jets to fly well.
                  Sorry, not sorry.

Thanks goodness I asked for forgiveness in advance.

And no, 'most of us' clearly doesn't accurately reflect reality.
                  "Many" do NOT understand.

It is not a sin to not understand, but it is pretty condeming to not want to learn... at least for pilots that pretend to fly safely a 170kph 6kg jet.
                  Nah, still going to fly with almost no expo.

Comment

• Here is what I know so far. The left flap wasn't working after the incident. I disconnected the flap servo from the cable going to the blue box and checked the servo with a servo tester and the servo worked. I plugged the servo back into the plane and it still didn't work.

Later, I called MRC and went through the problem on the phone. Only, now the servo was working. Go figure!

I'm sending the flap servos, connectors/cables, and the blue box back to MRC for them to check out.

Comment

Again, keep in mind that rates and expo are two aspects that reflect one another. What amount of expo feels right (for you) depends on your rates and the model in question. Also, how much expo feels right on any given model, with any given rates, will often vary greatly from one axis to another. Typically, most pilots fly way less expo on rudder compared to everything else, while most pilots who have the channels to spare for separate nose wheel steering prefer higher expo on that for better tracking on the ground.
                      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                        QFT

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Hi radfordc - Can you confirm the roll occurred some time after you lowered the flaps and not as you lowered them? Good job getting her down!

My flap induced roll experiences typically happened as the flaps were being lowered. Then it’s a matter of UNDO WHAT YOU JUST DID that initiated the upset.

A side story....my dad lost a friend and this friend’s instructor in a B-25 training accident when the B-25 lost a flap on final approach. Same effect as one up and one down. It rolled over and right into the ground.

What is the reason the left flap is so much negative as shown in the video?

-GG

Comment

• Successful maiden today! Flight was with the replacement servos installed. Only got 2 flights on her. Needed some up trim at factory CG but not too bad. Seemed really "twitchy" to me in the roll channel at factory throws so I reduced them to half of recommended for the second flight. That was much more to my style of flying. Second flight, I moved the front battery a 1/4" aft and took out some up trim but it looked tail heavy in the turns so I'm going to go back the original CG. Seems like a pretty honest flyer overall. Lands well and isn't a handful to fly. Definitely a keeper!​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1257.JPG
Views:	1101
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	276264Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1256.JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	276265

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                              Successful maiden today!
                              V, What a gorgeous repaint, Sir. Impressive livery choice and quite well executed. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                Hi radfordc - Can you confirm the roll occurred some time after you lowered the flaps and not as you lowered them? Good job getting her down!

My flap induced roll experiences typically happened as the flaps were being lowered. Then it’s a matter of UNDO WHAT YOU JUST DID that initiated the upset.

A side story....my dad lost a friend and this friend’s instructor in a B-25 training accident when the B-25 lost a flap on final approach. Same effect as one up and one down. It rolled over and right into the ground.

What is the reason the left flap is so much negative as shown in the video?

-GG
                                The uncommanded roll occurred 15-20 seconds after I flipped the flap switch. Lowered flaps early on the downwind leg and the roll happened while turning onto the final leg.

Don't know why the flap was "negative". Possibly due to the crash. Plane pancaked into tall grass and flipped over.

Comment

Nah, still going to fly with almost no expo.
                                  Whatever floats your boat!
                                  (But you'll miss a lot on it!) ;)

Comment

• I don't see any mention of ele mix with flaps in the manual. Did anybody find a mix necessary (or unnecessary)?

Comment

• As I noted I have a tiny amount of up...

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                                        I posted this on RCG, but might as well throw it out here for what it's worth.

Flew the third flight today. The flight was normal...takeoff, 3 min of flying around, drop the gear, turn to downwind, drop the flaps, and start a big wide base turn to final. Just as the plane was about lined up on final at 100 feet altitude the plane suddenly rolled hard to the left. I tried to correct with full right aileron but the plane wasn't responding. At this point 60 years of flying took over and I was just fighting to get the plane level again. At some point I realized that the plane was inverted at 50 feet and about to crash. Somehow I had a quick thought to try rolling left. The plane responded so quick it rolled 360 and was inverted again. I rolled left again and managed to get level upright and chopped the power and just fought the plane down to a pancake landing in the tall grass.

Walking to the crash I was somehow thinking that the radio had failed. But, looking at the plane I quickly saw the problem....split flaps. The right flap was extended, but the left flaps was retracted...actually a little more than normal retraction location. The damage is relatively light....broken nose cone, broken nose gear, banged up wing tips.

Here is video of problem with flaps.

https://youtu.be/O7-FqhXpLX8
                                        Well unfortunately it sounds like the mysterious roll left or right issue, I had two of my F-18 Hornets do that, the BA version did it on the maiden, almost lost it, was able to save it, it was a flap issue, sometimes they both came down or sometimes 1/2 way or just one, my gray version decided to roll left on its own after several flights, another flap issue, bypassed the blue box on both and never had anymore issues, my L-39 rolled over one day as I was raising flaps after take off and climb out, was able to save that one as well, it never did it again and I only bypassed the landing gear on the blue box and its still flying today with no issues that I know of from its new owner. Not saying its the blue box for sure but I hate those things and that stupid gear delay, don't know who's idea that was.

Oh by the way, does the new MIG have a blue box.??

Comment

• Flap/ele mix not necessary like it is with some planes, i think more of a personal preference in terms of how you like the plane configured with sticks neutral on final approach. I havent dropped flaps at speed so cant comment on any pitch reaction in that condition.

Comment

Working...
                                          X