X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Hey Alpha10, there's quite a bit of wiggle room for different batteries. We've tested from 6s 4000s to 6s 6000s. The 6s 4000s is nimble and quick on the stock 80mm. Even the 5000s, in Xplaneguy's videos back on Page 16 or so, shows how agile the plane is. The weight allows the plane to penetrate without feeling too heavy, and light enough to maneuver like the real A-10 without needing full throttle all the time.

Thanks, Mike, we appreciate the support!
    Oh PERFECT! I'm super pumped to finally be able to own an A-10 of this caliber. Thanks a lot! : )

Comment

• Can't wait for this one..........finger on the Buy Now button!! : )

Comment

• Alpha,

I plan to use the Stinger 90's 90mm EDF 1450kv power system in this A-10. I'll be using 890g (each) 5000mah 6S batteries. They're heavy, but from the sounds of it they may allow for CG achievement since you've used 6000mah 6S batteries before (although that purely depends on their weight as well). I figured the tiny bit of added weight of the 90mm power systems will help make it even easier to get the recommended CG. It is also a lower current set-up in comparison to some of the other Freewing 90mm systems, so will allow a good combination of thrust, performance, and flight time. How does the jet fly on the Stinger's power system loaded with what's considered to be heavy batteries like the ones I described?

Comment

• Hi Christen Eagle 1, welcome to Hobby Squawk :)

T-Cat, it's going to be subjective, really. Flying the stock 80mm PNP setup, which is our best overall balanced setup for the plane, is what we recommend because it captures most of the overlapping benefits of 80mm 6B, 80mm 9B, 80mm 12B, 90mm 6B, and 90mm 12B (plus their plastic/metal shroud iterations). There isn't one clear winner that is massively superior to the others... otherwise that's the one we would have selected for the PNP. The Stinger 90's power system will give you a bit more thrust on paper over the stock 80mm setup, but again the differences are so minor that it becomes less about power on paper and more about flying style. We flew the stock PNP A-10 versus the Stinger 90's setup at the same time, and also versus the old Eurofighter's setup, and I could make all three fly aircraft very similarly to each other just by using energy management and judicious throttle input to take advantage of the aircraft's inertia. Flying head to head, it's difficult to discern which is which, except the sound.

This is of course what we want in a base PNP platform, a setup that has the potential to perform as similarly to other power systems, while sitting at the nexus between cost, weight, sound, efficiency, and *actual* *perceived* flight performance. Beyond that, the 90mm nacelle option simply gives people the flexibility to experiment and install whatever power systems they have on hand to save themselves cost, but I wouldn't say it's an automatic eventuality that the Stinger 90's setup will fly this aircraft markedly better. While there are some performance adds, the main value of you installing your Stinger 90's setup is primarily that doing so will save you some money in only having to buy the cheaper ARF PLUS, and not the PNP.

Loading the plane down with the max 6s 6000 will make it fly heavier so some of that will be burned up in cruise, but again depending on throttle management, the extra mAh could be burned up with throttle use at inefficient times, or it could be used judiciously to effectively extend a model's actual flight duration. It just depends. I can fly my MiG-21 on a 4000 as long and hard as someone flies a 5000 --it's not magic, it's throttle management.

Anyway, I know you know this, I'm more stating it for the record. If you can make it to Apollo this Saturday before noon, you're welcome to fly the A-10 and Avant if you bring your own 6s 4000s and 5000s. A couple guys are coming up to do the same. I'm leaving at noon though, so come early!
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha, It's this sort of design and real world testing that has taken MRC to the head of the pack. This generation of product isn't just designed on paper, produced and shipped for the customer to work out the bugs. It used to be that if you had a "foamy", you were looked at like you drove a Yugo. Now with the new offerings, we can have a great looking bird with options to fit a pilot's budget, and desire to upgrade or customize. All in reliable package that flys great. I, and I'm sure we, really appreciate what you and the MRC team do. Thank You!

Comment

Hi Christen Eagle 1, welcome to Hobby Squawk :)

T-Cat, it's going to be subjective, really. Flying the stock 80mm PNP setup, which is our best overall balanced setup for the plane, is what we recommend because it captures most of the overlapping benefits of 80mm 6B, 80mm 9B, 80mm 12B, 90mm 6B, and 90mm 12B (plus their plastic/metal shroud iterations). There isn't one clear winner that is massively superior to the others... otherwise that's the one we would have selected for the PNP. The Stinger 90's power system will give you a bit more thrust on paper over the stock 80mm setup, but again the differences are so minor that it becomes less about power on paper and more about flying style. We flew the stock PNP A-10 versus the Stinger 90's setup at the same time, and also versus the old Eurofighter's setup, and I could make all three fly aircraft very similarly to each other just by using energy management and judicious throttle input to take advantage of the aircraft's inertia. Flying head to head, it's difficult to discern which is which, except the sound.

This is of course what we want in a base PNP platform, a setup that has the potential to perform as similarly to other power systems, while sitting at the nexus between cost, weight, sound, efficiency, and *actual* *perceived* flight performance. Beyond that, the 90mm nacelle option simply gives people the flexibility to experiment and install whatever power systems they have on hand to save themselves cost, but I wouldn't say it's an automatic eventuality that the Stinger 90's setup will fly this aircraft markedly better. While there are some performance adds, the main value of you installing your Stinger 90's setup is primarily that doing so will save you some money in only having to buy the cheaper ARF PLUS, and not the PNP.

Loading the plane down with the max 6s 6000 will make it fly heavier so some of that will be burned up in cruise, but again depending on throttle management, the extra mAh could be burned up with throttle use at inefficient times, or it could be used judiciously to effectively extend a model's actual flight duration. It just depends. I can fly my MiG-21 on a 4000 as long and hard as someone flies a 5000 --it's not magic, it's throttle management.

Anyway, I know you know this, I'm more stating it for the record. If you can make it to Apollo this Saturday before noon, you're welcome to fly the A-10 and Avant if you bring your own 6s 4000s and 5000s. A couple guys are coming up to do the same. I'm leaving at noon though, so come early!
              Great info! Just curious, and I'm not sure if you can tell us yet, but are the PNP 9 blade 80s outrunner driven in a metal case? It sounds that way if I had to guess.

Comment

• Do it T-Cat, we'll all live vicariously through you man :cool:

Comment

We really appreciate ALL of your & MotionRC's efforts to bring us the best flying model aircraft we can possibly have. It's wonderful and refreshing to have a company that's willing to give us plane nerds a peek behind the curtain, so to speak, and also keep us in the loop about development and WHY things are the way they are. The way your planes fly really show that a lot of development effort goes into them, and we modelers are rewarded with a great-looking and great-flying model. Thank you once again!

That being said, I've 2 x 5000 and 2 x 5500 that are itching to be powering an A-10, and if I were on the West Coast, I would be more than happy to take you up on your offer. Alas, I'll have to wait for my own to arrive on my doorstep in the next few months. ;) Get plenty of pics and video!

Comment

• Thanks for the Welcome Alpha. Always wanted an A-10 and this one being the size it is will be a perfect compliment to my hangar of Yellow F-18 singles. Glad I found this forum.

Jim

Comment

• I'd love to get a closer look at your Yellow Aircraft F-18s, Jim, if you had some time to create a new discussion thread about it? I have the same aircraft in my "To Build" storage room. Any tips and tricks before I get started would be most welcome. I've built a couple other Yellows in the past (Starfire, Stingray, Spitfire), but haven't touched the F-18.

Comment

• Good idea! Welcome Jim! Always had my eye on those YA F-18s...Might have to spring for one. A thread about them might help coerce me! :)
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Can't wait! Most of my fleet is Motion RC. Just put the p-38 in the cart gonna need to add the Tiger Cat as well, sadly to replace the gap left by my corsiar.

Comment

• Hi Warhammer34, welcome to the Squawk!
                            Sounds like some great winter projects! Just finished rewriting the P-38 online manual, so keep an eye out for it as well as the great comprehensive build video that Motion R/C produced. Great plane, great price!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Warhammer34 welcome. Sorry to hear of the loss of the corsair. I'm a corsair freak so I couldn't live without one in my hanger. I have 3 and one day hope to have a giant scale and then I'll be happy. But for right now I'm just waiting patiently on this A10. Finally an edf that can handle grass. Bring it on.
                              Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                That second shot is sick. I am definitely painting mine that very livery.
                                That is a beautiful color scheme. This would be a must buy if you offered that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                                  Warhammer34 welcome. Sorry to hear of the loss of the corsair. I'm a corsair freak so I couldn't live without one in my hanger. I have 3 and one day hope to have a giant scale and then I'll be happy. But for right now I'm just waiting patiently on this A10. Finally an edf that can handle grass. Bring it on.
                                  Thanks guys, as a former navy guy, I have a thing for naval birds. I'm a big believer in great customer service, so when it comes to electric planes, motion gets 100% of my business.

Comment

• That's awesome warhammer34, we sure appreciate that, and thank you for your service!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Thanks a ton for the great information and explanation. One of the primary reasons I enjoy purchasing Freewing products, especially ones in which you play a large part in designing is the thorough examination of all the various components of the jet from many different standpoints to find a fine balance of what many customers would consider a great balance of all factors (price, performance, endurance, weight, battery choice, etc.). Anything additional can be left up to us customers in which we want to alter one or more of the various components to our preference, and that's also a great option to have (for example, the additional nacelles for the 90mm option, the large battery bay for folks who want to use larger capacity batteries, etc.). I always appreciate a well thought out design, and that keeps me spending money on products I feel have been produced with attention to detail.

Thanks a ton for the offer! If I could have been there, I would have. I'm hoping I can catch up with you guys the next time you're all out there and all of our schedules mesh. I hope the flights went great. I'm very excited to spend some time looking over the new jets, and take some flights too. I can bring more batteries for us all to use too, so others can get more flights in as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by warhammer34 View Post

Thanks guys, as a former navy guy, I have a thing for naval birds. I'm a big believer in great customer service, so when it comes to electric planes, motion gets 100% of my business.
                                        I have to agree with you on that. I might not be former military, but Motion tends to get all my hobby dollars when it comes to RC aircraft.
                                        My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Thank you for your service to our nation, Warhammer34! Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

It's too bad you couldn't make it out today, T-cat, but there will be many other opportunities to take a test drive in this bird. We had a good time today even though winds were 10-15 with gusts up to 20mph. No reason not to take the A-10 and Avanti out for some fun. Tony rang out the A-10 with full ordnance. He'll probably chime in at some point but we all agreed the difference in feel between empty and full ordnance is not massively noticeable. Even in 15+mph wind, you'd think the aircraft would be hugely impacted by the drag of eight munitions, but it wasn't so. Evelyn captured some nice video of the Hawg tearing up 300 foot loops with ease. According to my log, this particular bird past 110 flights today. That makes 260 test flights on the various test aircraft, which surpasses our usual 200-220 flight test regimen.

Speaking of which, Motion RC will be participating in the 2017 Arizona Electric Festival as a sponsor and we plan to have the Freewing 80mm A-10, Freewing 80mm Avanti S, and FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk.IX there for show n' try.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7552.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	59977
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7548.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	59978

Name:	DSC07845.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	59982

Name:	image_7550.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	59975

The Avanti was fun, too. We were hovering it, sometimes inverted, alongside the MiG-21 in the strong wind. Good times.

Name:	image_7549.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	59974
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X