Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there rigid connectors for the wing wiring or pigtails to connect? I prefer the latter so the connection has strain relief. Connectors that mate as you attach the wing worry me with vibration.

Comment

• Originally posted by petefoss View Post
      Are there rigid connectors for the wing wiring or pigtails to connect? I prefer the latter so the connection has strain relief. Connectors that mate as you attach the wing worry me with vibration.
      Any pic I've seen of the FW A-10 had pigtail connectors at the wing joint. The FMS has solid bullet connectors attached to a control board at the wing joint.

Comment

• Correct, we're using pigtail connectors in the Freewing 80mm A-10, the same as we've used in the FlightLineRC F7F Tigercat and Freewing 90mm T-45. Bullet connectors themselves make excellent connections to each other, but as Petefoss suggested, the lack of strain relief at the solder joints on the PCB becomes a potential hazard when that PCB is at a wing joint. Early prototypes of the Freewing 80mm A-10 actually used bullet connectors with pre-aligned hard mounted PCBs behind them. But we almost lost a prototype when one of the solder pads became separated from the PCB during heavy maneuvering. At that point we went back to a flexible pigtail connector. This is too large of an aircraft to risk a connection break.

Although technically, I have flown the Freewing 80mm A-10 with only one aileron, so it would be possible to fly and land, just without that wing's landing gear deployed :D

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• If I had a test one, I would love to try that. Hahaha. However, I'm not trying it with one I'm going to spend the dough on, unless it happens to me and then I'll have to deal with it when the time comes ;).

Comment

• Thanks, glad to hear it's pig tails.

Comment

• Regulus #04 has served us well as a test platform. This week we're evaluating different coating on the metal and the foam, as well as finalizing the paint molds for the ordnance. Not shown in these photos are the final markings, arrows, warnings, and other verbiage on the aircraft. These will be waterslide, numbering between 50 and 60 in total. Currently the aircraft only has half of the decals applied. A-10's carry many stenciled markings and we want to include as many as we can. I'm thinking of leaving the waterslide decals in a separate sheet, in case people want to paint and detail their models first. Any objections?

Note for those reading along, the model shown is detailed by hand; it's what I use to, among other things, adjust the scale effect colors that we eventually use on the final production model, derive correct proportions for decals and markings, test decal layout for fit and alignment over 3D contours, serve as a photo reference for factory workers regarding placement, decide which scale details we can and cannot include for the target price point, etc. The final production model customers will receive will be factory painted with the colors and markings shown here. From there, it's up to each pilot to detail his/her A-10 however they see fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08140.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	61496

Name:	DSC08132.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	61497

To those curious how the Jethangar.com resin 1/10 full scale pilot figure looks in the Freewing 80mm A-10, here is a side photo. The final production model will use include a vinyl bust that is about 1mm smaller than this pilot in overall proportion.

Name:	DSC08153.JPG
Views:	752
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	61494

I've also included a photo of the layered painting method I'm using to simulate fading along the upper spine of the aircraft. While factory paints are opaque, we are always looking for ways to possibly innovate in a mass production environment. Perhaps one day we'll be able to delivery pre-painted distressed areas on future projects. Tests continue...

Name:	DSC08142.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	61491

We're also making progress on the magnetic crew ladder. I'm curious if there are enough people out there who are interested in an accessory kit of something like this, or if it's a component most modelers would likely just construct themselves.

Name:	DSC08127.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	61498
              Attached Files

Comment

• Man that weathering looks great Alpha. That's it. I'm pushing the buy button for an airbrush system this weekend. Enough's enough. Time to weather my models! As for the waterslide decals, definitely count me in as wanting those on a separate sheet. I know I will be painting mine in the arctic camo scheme and I suspect a good number of folks will be repainting there's at some point. Cool:
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                  These will be waterslide, numbering between 50 and 60 in total. Currently the aircraft only has half of the decals applied. A-10's carry many stenciled markings and we want to include as many as we can. I'm thinking of leaving the waterslide decals in a separate sheet, in case people want to paint and detail their models first. Any objections?
                  First off that plane is gorgeous! The FLRC planes were adhesive based decals, but the FW plane will be waterslide? I personally have no objection as long as I know how to apply them. :)

As simple as it sounds a little video showing how to put the decals on (not all of them) would be helpful for new guys like me. I'm sure it's about as simple as getting them wet and then sliding them into place but a video is always nice.

I keep saying I cannot wait to get my hands on this plane and it's the truth! :)

Comment

• Aros, BUY ONE!! So much of my equipment is in storage, so for now I'm just using a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush, and a cheap Master airbrush compressor, both from Amazon. Airbrushes are critical for color grading a prototype. The initial prototype was too blue, proving that colors on 2" square color swatches can potentially perform much differently when applied to a huge model. So the airbrush allows me to increase different colors gradually, taking measurements as I go until we arrive at the hue and sheen we want. We're going for almost matte on the A-10.

Comment

• I too vote for the decals separate, that way I don't have to buy another sheet of them after repainting. :)

And I would love to be able to purchase a crew ladder as an optional accessory.

And here's a document I made for when I was selling kits with water slide decals. Hope this helps Dave!
                      Attached Files
                      Pat

Comment

• Looks fantastic Alpha, I'm stoked!

Comment

• I vote for separate water slide decals sheets as well and if you produce a crew ladder I would rather buy one than have to make it myself. I am already planning enough custom mods to keep me busy for awhile so I would gladly pay for a ladder. The detail on your plane looks great. I hope I can achieve something close. I have an airbrush but have yet to try weathering with it like you have done.

Comment

• Your weathering looks amazing Alpha! I'm so ready to weather one up, I can't stand much more... ;) Need to order my driver yet. So he will be well briefed andmission ready! :) I also would like to have the crew ladder be an option for us. I'm going to leave mine in the Blacksnake trim. It looks like you have also added rivets, can you briefly explain your process? Thanks. Jim

Comment

Hi Mike,
                              The included decal sheet features markings from Indiana's 163rd Fighter Squadron "Blacksnakes", Louisiana's 47th Fighter Squadron "Termites", and the 23rd Fighter Group "Flying Tigers" stationed in Georgia.
                              Are you still looking at decal sets for these?

Comment

• Yes, the final production model will arrive to customers factory painted in matte three tone gray. We will have those three aircraft liveries available, Blacksnakes, Termites, Flying Tigers. The text markings set will be unapplied as well at this point, to support the trend of personalizing before decaling.

I'm working with Callie to have a range of other liveries available separately from her website. We like supporting a Statside small business and I know many of us here have experienced the quality of her work and promptness of her service.

Xplaneguy provided info on a beautiful Euro I (green woodland camo) A-10A. That's on Callie's list, as well.

Legman, if you had pictures of your bird, I'd be happy to have a set offered in it as well.

Speaking of which, what are the two tubular cockpit components over the left should of the pilot in the photo you posted? I'm guessing the two rings are for the thermos/helmet bag holder, just empty in this picture? The Acog-looking device in front of and outboard of it puzzles me, though. I can't place it. I can identify instruments like CDU, SAS, HARS, UFC, MFD, TISL, etc but for the life of me I can't place what that device is. Please enlighten me?

Comment

• You guys are doing an awesome job. Keep up the great work. Here is the livery that I would like to do with the A-10 once I get my hands on it. I am and will always be a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan. The 115th FW (1993-pres) in Madison, WI was formerly the 128th TFW and FW (1981-1992) and had A-10's from 1981 to 1993. I was a member of the 128th ARW for 8 years. We had KC-135’s not as cool but you can’t go anywhere without the fuel. The Front nose is my Microsoft paint rendition of a Badger and the tail with motion "W"isconsin is what we had on the KC-135's at the 128th ARW. I will never forget when I was on a 3 base tour as a new member of the 128th ARW. One of the stops was at the Hardwood Range in WI. I fell in love that day watching an A-10 from Michigan do strafing runs. Seeing vehicles with 2”+ armor look like swiss cheese put a smile on my face. I am from Wisconsin and I love cheese. Either from a cow or from a Warthog both make me smile. Click image for larger version

Name:	a-10 nose badger 2-8-17.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	61528Click image for larger version

Name:	a-10 tail Wisconsin.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	61529

Comment

Hi Trobinson99 and Jpinn, we will announce all orderable configurations soon. The mainstay 80mm PNP version, and an ARF PLUS version, will be available. Nacelle size, PNP vs ARF PLUS, ordnance options, accessories.... comically, there are TWELVE different configurations for a single color scheme aircraft, and we won't be able to stock them all as individual SKUs. Doing so poses far too great a risk that we have stagnant inventory on a particular configuration or more, so there will be some overlap. For example, the empty 90mm nacelle foam might be sold separately. We'll announce the final orderable configurations soon once finalized.

The good news is that production has started as of today. :)

Wooooo!! Great news! And I'm sorry if this has been covered previously, but I'm still confused about the ordnance... will the A-10 come with ordnance in the box, and there will be an optional set that can be purchased? Or is the ordnance package a 100% separate purchase? I don't care either way; just wanted clarification. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Medfire4905 View Post
                                      You guys are doing an awesome job. Keep up the great work. Here is the livery that I would like to do with the A-10 once I get my hands on it. I am and will always be a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan. The 115th FW (1993-pres) in Madison, WI was formerly the 128th TFW and FW (1981-1992) and had A-10's from 1981 to 1993. I was a member of the 128th ARW for 8 years.
                                      That's pretty cool....welcome to Hobby Squawk!
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Hey Medfire,
                                        Looks awesome. Here is some authentic ladder door art to go with that scheme. :-)

Cheers.

Comment

• Thanks TiredIronGRB and gravity tester. I like it. WOW! Donald Duck, riding a lightning bolt, packing heat, wearing a packers helmet and cheesehead. Now why would you ever think that has to do with Wisconsin? Was it the lightning bolt that gave it away?

Comment

Working...
                                          X