Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little off topic, but how good does the spitty look on the conference table? Ooo I'm in love. :Love:

i knew timezones wouldn't work for me on the a10. It's almost 10pm Tuesday here. By the time preorder goes up I'll be in bed. Dang, even a day ahead I'm beaten by the yanks again... :Confused:

(anyone notice I used the word dang? I'm spending too much time on the forums with you Americans lol).

Comment

• Some of the time we added to this project was spent "Future-Proofing" the A-10 for 90mm power systems, above and beyond the stock 80mm power setup (which I still maintain will satisfy 90+% of you). The more we thought about it though, the more we accepted that the reinforcing time was time well spent to ensure the A-10 could handle the abuse I know some of you are planning for it with even faster and more thrusty power systems with the 90mm nacelle (shown above, sold separately). Queue diabolical speed-hacker laugh.

Here is a photo of the final production wing. Not content with the strength of a traditional solid foam and double spar wing on an aircraft of this size, we tested and tested and tested then finally settled upon the wing structure shown here. The aluminum caps set the dihedral and keep it there, the plywood ribs intersected by the carbon spars distribute loads evenly throughout the buttressed foam bulkheads. Sharp eyes will notice that the main spar tube is not your typical tube, either. It is woven ;) The secondary outer spars are square rod. The wing's flying surfaces are all gapless hinged, and individually reinforced. Finally, the main wing on the Freewing 80mm A-10 is made 35Bei foam, which is the heavier but stronger foam that HSD uses. The fuselage is 25Bei, which is what Freewing has been using recently (such as the F7F) and for quite a while. It is in general a better balanced strength/weight foam for most of Freewing's "normal" sized models, but the A-10's wing benefits from the 35Bei foam. The horizontal stabilizer also follows this construction, with plywood ribs and square rod spars throughout.

In summation, the model can be held be two people six inches in from either wingtip, and even the load in dives at 140mph won't snap the wing. But please, do try to fly her scale first.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC08872.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.8 KB ID:	68946
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Legman01 at the Wafflehouse with momma's babies............Dude, that is TOO FREAKIN :Cool:. Bet the waitress was :Thinking: :wacky
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Honestly I think anyone truly interested in this and wanted in right off the bat is up and waiting.

Mike
          Right you are my good sir. Haha. Been up since 5am waiting. It's GroundHOG day LOL.

Comment

• Nice well thought out design. Should be stronger than a lot of typical build up designs. Thanks for the picks Alpha. This is sort of like the warm up band :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              Some of the time we added to this project was spent "Future-Proofing" the A-10 for 90mm power systems, above and beyond the stock 80mm power setup (which I still maintain will satisfy 90+% of you). The more we thought about it though, the more we accepted that the reinforcing time was time well spent to ensure the A-10 could handle the abuse I know some of you are planning for it with even faster and more thrusty power systems with the 90mm nacelle (shown above, sold separately). Queue diabolical speed-hacker laugh.

Here is a photo of the final production wing. Not content with the strength of a traditional solid foam and double spar wing on an aircraft of this size, we tested and tested and tested then finally settled upon the wing structure shown here. The aluminum caps set the dihedral and keep it there, the plywood ribs intersected by the carbon spars distribute loads evenly throughout the buttressed foam bulkheads. Sharp eyes will notice that the main spar tube is not your typical tube, either. It is woven ;) The secondary outer spars are square rod. The wing's flying surfaces are all gapless hinged, and individually reinforced. Finally, the main wing on the Freewing 80mm A-10 is made 35Bei foam, which is the heavier but stronger foam that HSD uses. The fuselage is 25Bei, which is what Freewing has been using recently (such as the F7F) and for quite a while. It is in general a better balanced strength/weight foam for most of Freewing's "normal" sized models, but the A-10's wing benefits from the 35Bei foam. The horizontal stabilizer also follows this construction, with plywood ribs and square rod spars throughout.

In summation, the model can be held be two people six inches in from either wingtip, and even the load in dives at 140mph won't snap the wing. But please, do try to fly her scale first.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC08872.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.8 KB ID:	68946
              That's awesome Alpha, thanks so much for posting! Strong wing, indeed! I will be flying mine as scale-like as possible... no rocket ship here.... on tankbusting missions over my field. It will also patiently await the installation of a turn-key cannon smoke system installation, provided by MotionRC sometime in the summer (see what I did there? ;))

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Right you are my good sir. Haha. Been up since 5am waiting. It's GroundHOG day LOL.
              Ah, but the question everyone wants to know is... did you have lasagna while waiting? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Some of the time we added to this project was spent "Future-Proofing" the A-10 for 90mm power systems, above and beyond the stock 80mm power setup (which I still maintain will satisfy 90+% of you). The more we thought about it though, the more we accepted that the reinforcing time was time well spent to ensure the A-10 could handle the abuse I know some of you are planning for it with even faster and more thrusty power systems with the 90mm nacelle (shown above, sold separately). Queue diabolical speed-hacker laugh.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC08872.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.8 KB ID:	68946
                Alpha, Motion, and Freewing......artisti!

Comment

• I smell smoke..........is someone burning the bacon?? Oh crap........it's the Ben Franks lighting up in my pocket waiting for that button(now officially known as the Extinguisher) to appear. LOL
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike_Then View Post

That's awesome Alpha, thanks so much for posting! Strong wing, indeed! I will be flying mine as scale-like as possible... no rocket ship here.... on tankbusting missions over my field. It will also patiently await the installation of a turn-key cannon smoke system installation, provided by MotionRC sometime in the summer (see what I did there? ;))

Ah, but the question everyone wants to know is... did you have lasagna while waiting? LOL
                    Hahahaha! Baking it now in my A-10 apron in front with nothing in back singing Brrrrrtttttt's a Mia. LOL

Comment

• Mornin' Charlie. It's Hog Day!:Cool:

Comment

• TMI T-CatLOL

Comment

• Friggin awesome! It's a shame we've gotta cover it with foam haha!

Comment

• :):Cool:!

Comment

• Today's the day Warthogphiles! :)

I will try to give a 3...2....1...post when he's going to hit the live button!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                Today's the day Warthogphiles! :)

You wouldn't be teasing I hope Aros!! Lets get it on!!! See if we can crash the server!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                  Today's the day Warthogphiles! :)

Who's the "he" that's going to be "Releasing the Kracken!" ????? just so we know who to cheer for....

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                    Mornin' Charlie. It's Hog Day!:Cool:
                                    YES IT IS TONY. The Southern Tier RC community won't be the same after they unleash the both of us loose with these hunters :)
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• For the record, "He" is not "me". :D I'm already eyeballs deep in the next wallet killers so the A-10 torch has been passed. Have fun, everyone, I'll try to rejoin the party later with better internet coverage.

Before I go though, I will prod your marriages a little further and say that I think this A-10 signifies a real "level up" in terms of value for our customers in the context of BSF (Big Scale Foam). I love my Freewing F-14s (note, plural), and for $579 without ordnance they were a great value when first released, and now at an even crazier $549 the fact that they remain a very high seller makes me feel really good. It indicates that listening to our customers is its own reward. As the first Twin 80mm in Freewing's Super Scale Series, the F-14 established what we could accomplish in this new Class. Naturally, 16 months later, the A-10 as the second Twin 80mm in Freewing's Super Scale Series gives us the opportunity to raise that bar, and I think when you all read the production page in detail as I know you all will, you'll notice an entire raft of "All New" components and features that this A-10 brings to the table. Bigger retracts, taller wheels, better grass handling, new wing connector, wildly innovative wing structure design, upgrade options, multiple decals, all new motor, all new fan, all new pilot, larger 100A ESCs, more detailed cockpit and scale ordnance, etc, etc, etc.

The Freewing 80mm A-10 Warthog is, in short, our Empire Strikes Back to an already exciting A New Hope.

May the BRRRT be with you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	68986
                                      Attached Files
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Mark, one half of our two esteemed leaders. :)

("Wallet Killers") LOL
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• "He" would be Mark more than likely, so everybody give him a hand, and count backward from 10!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X