X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    I am happy to report after my testing that the 1/10 full body pilot from our friend Jet Mang at jethangar.com fits nicely into the Freewing 80mm A-10. I chopped off the boots, and sliced an appropriate amount under the instrument panel so his legs went all the way through, then dremeled off the pilot's butt to achieve the ride height I wanted. That's it!

Hog drivers have a high seat position and this figure is close enough to satisfy me. Note, the pilot figure I'm using is a Second, quality casting, which is why the resin is uneven inside the figure. Jet Mang's production pilots that he sends to customers are always First quality castings, inside and out. The detail on the figure itself is very crisp. In these photos I shot a quick gray and drab, and used black Sharpie for the visor, directly over the resin itself. I'll detail the figure and seal the visor with Future later. I don't have more than 30 minutes of free time each day when not working on work projects, so it's slow going.

I highly recommend anyone wanting a full body pilot in their Freewing 80mm A-10 to consider the pilot figure from jethangar.com. It is the best full body jet pilot figure I've found in this size. With a couple minutes of work, it fits into the airplane nicely, and the detail level really rewards someone with painting skills to up the scale factor of their A-10. Chris is in California and ships quickly. Any of us who've dealt with him and his father, a pioneer in our hobby, know their work speaks for itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7687.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	60695Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7688.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	60696
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7689.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.6 KB ID:	60697Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7691.jpg Views:	3 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	60698
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7692.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	60699
    Here's that earlier post, Pogo.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Hey Legman01, first off of course,thank you for your service. Second, that is an awsome picture you posted of the Hawg firing. I guess, instead of a burst rate you could call that a BRRRRRT rate lol. Anyway, it reminded me of something I read years ago about the development of the gun and the Hawg and all that smoke from the Avenger. I seem to recall that the escaping gas from the gun was actually causing flame outs during firing and as a result, they added igniters in the engines that would automatically come on during firing to counteract that tendency from sucking the gas into the engines. Just curious about that. Third, does your call sign have anything to do with your appreciation of women? Sorry, couldn't help myself, Brad

Comment

• Hey Pogo, welcome. I'm all about the opening canopies and I'm trying to workout a good mechanism for it so if you have any thoughts in that direction I'm listening. Thanks, Brad

Comment

• Thank you for the welcome guys. Alpha I don't know how I missed that but thanks for re-posting- good to know that space isn't an issue.
          Hi Brad- are you looking to have the canopy servo operated? I didn't (yet) with the Hornet as I'm channel limited with a DX 8 but will see down the road with it and the Hog. I guess the first thing is to get good photos of the full size mechanism and go from there. Having the model in hand will also be useful!:)
          Tom

Comment

• I've been lurking, and look forward to this release.

One lingering question that I have is regarding grass field ops. We have seen flight test videos of this A-10 flying off of hard pack dirt and pavement. With all the design work that has gone into the trailing link under carriage, any chance we can get a video showing this Hawgs ability operating from grass?

Comment

• Originally posted by 0nemildot View Post
              I've been lurking, and look forward to this release.

One lingering question that I have is regarding grass field ops. We have seen flight test videos of this A-10 flying off of hard pack dirt and pavement. With all the design work that has gone into the trailing link under carriage, any chance we can get a video showing this Hawgs ability operating from grass?
              This A-10 will love grass, that's all mine will ever see...welcome to Hobby Squawk!
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Hey Pogo, yes I'm interested in a servo operated canopy. Like you said, the first step will be to get the plane in hand. Also, I will probably wait on mods 'til I get comfortable with flying the stock plane. I learned a long time ago, the hard way, to fly a plane first and get to know it's flight characteristics before investing allot of time in extra scale details. Having said that, I have an LX A-10 hanger queen that could be used as a starting place for developing an operable canopy. As Alpha mentioned to me in a previous post on the subject, the LX A-10 operable canopy will need more engineering before it can work every time "without fail". Thanks, Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by 0nemildot View Post
                  I've been lurking, and look forward to this release.

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Onemildot! Alpha (Our R&D tech who works closely with Freewing/FlightLineRC) has indicated this gear and wheels were made with grass takeoffs and landings in mind for several of us that don't have access to smooth, paved surfaces for runways. So rejoice! This girl will do just fine on grass!

:Cool:
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    ...I learned a long time ago, the hard way, to fly a plane first and get to know it's flight characteristics before investing allot of time in extra scale details.
                    You too, Brad? LOL

I've learned the hard way not to bother with painting and detailing until a handful of successful flights are already under my belt. I made the mistake of breaking that tradition and painted a plane any ways...Sure enough I crashed it on the maiden.

Never. Again. :Scared:

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey Aros, it's like washing your car on a sunny day. You just guaranteed that it's going to rain!!! lol

Comment

• Amen to that! Although I have a car wash near by and I always see people getting their cars washed sometimes even WHEN it's raining! Keep them away from RC airplanes! LOL
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

You too, Brad? LOL

I've learned the hard way not to bother with painting and detailing until a handful of successful flights are already under my belt. I made the mistake of breaking that tradition and painted a plane any ways...Sure enough I crashed it on the maiden.

Never. Again. :Scared:
                          Well, not sure what to say- I seem to be able to crash new airplanes, old airplanes, detailed, not detailed...if I could find a pattern I'd know what to avoid too!:Confused: Wait, maybe it's the guy at the controls...
                          Tom

Comment

• Ha, Pogo, it's okay, I'm right there with you!

Comment

• Aren't we all! LOL
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I've have a Friend, who has solved that problem: He just DOESN'T fly em' anymore(Sad, Sad,Sad....)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dlxpkg2000 View Post
                                  I've have a Friend, who has solved that problem: He just DOESN'T fly em' anymore(Sad, Sad,Sad....)
                                  You don't know how true that is... I think I've maidened and tweaked every EDF at my field lol

Successfully, but I guess that's why they ask me to do it haha!

Comment

• This Hog eats grass for breakfast. This aircraft is easily the most capable foam electric jet in our entire lineup, and possibly on the market, period. I just posted photos of the final production wheels for the Freewing 80mm A-10. Search "#motionrc" to see it and other photos we'll be uploading soon from our friends around the globe.

Comment

• Hey all, I read decades ago that there are two basic laws of physics involved here. The first is called " emotional torque" which states that the probability of augering your plane in, especially on the maiden, is in direct proportion to how much blood, sweat, and tears you've put into it.:Angry: There are other factors involved of course like whether your plane has the glide ratio of a feather:Cool: or a manhole cover.:Sick2: Or whether there are any plane grabbing trees or how big of a group of "helpers" you have or if the ground was simply too high on that particular day.:Confused: Conversely, the second law is called "kinematic ugliness" which states that the uglier your plane is, the lower the probability of hitting the ground like a yard dart.:Crying: I had a plane for a long, long time that was so ugly I even stopped charging the battery and it still wouldn't crash!!!LOL Just thought this was a good time to share some fun facts, Brad

Comment

• Regarding an opening canopy and cockpit detailing I just dug out a 1/32 A-10 plastic model I started maybe 15 years ago and think it will be very useful for measurements of the ejection seat, canopy framing, HUD frame etc I'll certainly post this info when the time's right. Trying to make things is difficult when working from photographs, having to use the "that looks about right" method for dimensions, so using this model will be easier. :Cool:
                                        Tom

Comment

• Hey Pogo, I like your thinking in that and the pictures are very interesting. I'm trying to work out how that mechanism works. It's a very good starting place for sure. Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about ordering the canopy assembly for the LX A-10, I have one now but it is f.u.b.a.r. if you now what I mean. Brad

Comment

Working...
                                          X