X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    You're cleared in hot, Legman01, NO ONE here will try to shut up an A-10 pilot telling his A-10 stories.
    Amen to THAT! Cool::a10

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

You're cleared in hot, Legman01, NO ONE here will try to shut up an A-10 pilot telling his A-10 stories.

Desertlakeflying, we'll announce the pre-order around the end of the month or so. The aircraft is in production but we're waiting for it to ship before announcing the pre-order. When we do, it will be on our website's front page, here in this thread, on our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evoman View Post

Interesting that you sold your F-14 because it was not for you. Was it because you did not like its flight characteristics?
        One of the things I have discovered from playing a lot of combat flight simulators is that after flying a particular warbird for while you get to know if its for you or not. There have been several airplanes I always liked for the looks but once I got the chance to try them out in a simulator I either discover its not for me or it a match made in heaven. Case in point the P-51 Mustang, P-80 and L-39 are not for me, but less then glamours Warbirds like the F6F Hellcat, F7F Tigercat, BF-109 are a joy to fly for me.

That is why now I never consider buying a new RC plane that cost more than $200 without first have tried it out in a simulator. I got in to RC planes when I discovered they made an RC model of my favorite warbird the F6F Hellcat that i was quite familiar with already. The RC model of the Hellcat flew just as I expected it to.

As for the Hog, I have flown the A-10C enough in DCS to know it is a very stable flying bird which makes it ideal for those low altitude attacks and slow speed maneuvers. So I am sure i will enjoy flying this new beast of an A-10 model.

For those interested in becoming more familiar with the A-10C here is a video of how it is to fly in DCS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xprdtoqtzg
        I had a lot of problems with the F-14. Not because of the build quality or anything like that, it's just that this plane wasn't really designed for grass ops. It was perfectly powered to get off the ground from a paved runway as once it was in the air, if flew great. But my issue was getting it in the air to begin with, and my solutions added lots and lots of extra weight which affected the way it flew. Some pilots and planes weren't meant for each other and this is one of those cases. That's fine, it's not knocking MRC or Freewing at all. There are probably thousands of happy F-14 pilots and that shows the plane is a success. Just wasn't meant to be, and that's OK.

Comment

• Say Alpha, I'd like to know what materials you used to make those awsome steps for the Hawg. I'm guessing graduated aluminum tubing for the telescopic part but the actual steps have me stumped. Please advise, Brad

Comment

• Hi Brad, I fabricated the steps from 1mm styrene sheet, cut with scissors to shape, "drilled" with an x-acto to snuggly fit over the carbon telescoping tubes, then sanded to ensure each step's angles were flush with the other steps. After this photo was taken, a magnet embedded into the foam and later concealed under putty makes it easy to attach without marring the fuselage's appearance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	62751
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	112.8 KB ID:	62752
            Attached Files
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• From one modding modeler to another..................VERY IMPRESSIVE Alpha !!
              Of course you know that a lot of buyers are gonna want that as part of the base package. ;)
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• +1 on the entry ladder. Very nice bit of work.

Have a question for the developement/test pilot crew for this bird. It's been mentioned that this bird is designed to use 2 ea. 5K mah - 6K mah packs. The Admiral 5K 50C being the most logical. I am curious what the the optimal total battery weight range is and what batteries were used for testing? Were any Graphene chemestry batteries used for testing?

The reason I'm asking is my current inventory of 6S 5K lipos are getting tired, so new ones are in order. For this bird we're looking at at least four to facilitate a good day of flying/charging cycles. Performance, reliability, life span, and price are all part of the decision process. Looking at performance data from extensive testing, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons
                it seems like the Turnigy 6S 4K 65C graphenes might make a good choice for this bird. What they can deliver compared to many other batteries with much larger capacity ratings is impressive. The weight is slightly less than the Admiral 5K. Other thoughts??

Does MRC plane to get into the graphene market in the forseable future? Having an Admiral battery capable of 500+ cycles would be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                  +1 on the entry ladder. Very nice bit of work.

Have a question for the developement/test pilot crew for this bird. It's been mentioned that this bird is designed to use 2 ea. 5K mah - 6K mah packs. The Admiral 5K 50C being the most logical. I am curious what the the optimal total battery weight range is and what batteries were used for testing? Were any Graphene chemestry batteries used for testing?

The reason I'm asking is my current inventory of 6S 5K lipos are getting tired, so new ones are in order. For this bird we're looking at at least four to facilitate a good day of flying/charging cycles. Performance, reliability, life span, and price are all part of the decision process. Looking at performance data from extensive testing, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons
                  it seems like the Turnigy 6S 4K 65C graphenes might make a good choice for this bird. What they can deliver compared to many other batteries with much larger capacity ratings is impressive. The weight is slightly less than the Admiral 5K. Other thoughts??

Does MRC plane to get into the graphene market in the forseable future? Having an Admiral battery capable of 500+ cycles would be great.
                  Now that would be sweet! Going Graphine and trying to keep the weight down would rock!

Comment

Ain't that the truth!!!
                    My father was career Air Force and retired from Barskdale AFB in the early 80's. An AF Reserves unit flew A-10s at BAFB. In high school, I used to park off the end of the runway and just watch the A-10s fly. I wanted to fly myself, but my eyesight is crap (compounded with red/green color blindness); so, I became an aerospace engineer instead. For being a warthog, the A-10 is such a beautiful plane in the sky.

---
                    Warbirder

Comment

...It seems like the Turnigy 6S 4K 65C graphenes might make a good choice for this bird. What they can deliver compared to many other batteries with much larger capacity ratings is impressive. The weight is slightly less than the Admiral 5K. Other thoughts??
                      I am intrigued by the Graphenes...However, the Turnigy 6S 5000 65C Graphene on Hobby King weighs 886g (including wire, plug & case) according to their specs, while the Admiral 6S 5000 50C weighs 751g. Am I looking at the wrong graphene battery? And yikes, the price! Nearly 200 bucks for one lipo...Eeep! Still, I am intrigued by the technology and potential.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

I am intrigued by the Graphenes...However, the Turnigy 6S 5000 65C Graphene on Hobby King weighs 886g (including wire, plug & case) according to their specs, while the Admiral 6S 5000 50C weighs 751g. Am I looking at the wrong graphene battery? And yikes, the price! Nearly 200 bucks for one lipo...Eeep! Still, I am intrigued by the technology and potential.
                        Aros, the pack I was looking at is the 6S 4K 65C pack. Testing shows it puts out more than most 5K - 6K packs. Weight is only 733gr and cost is $85.28 from US warehouse. On the 5K graphene, I'm seeing $123 per pack and yes much heavier.

Comment

• Ah I see...I will have to snag one and test it out...I was thinking 5000's because that's what I use for a lot of my jets and now my FMS 1500 Razorback.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• To be clear, the Freewing 80mm A-10 is designed for two Admiral 6s 4000s or 5000s. My comment earlier about 6000s was only to demonstrate that the model's large battery bay could fit/CG larger packs if that is what a pilot has. But 6000s are certainly NOT necessary! While I have flown a variety of battery sizes during testing, ALL of the videos published we've posted so far show the aircraft performing on 4000s or 5000s since that is the size range we're recommending. The flight performance and duration shown in the videos is what one can expect in the final product.

Comment

• Hey Alpha, thanks so much for the info on the entry ladder. For the silver part, is that also just painted or wrapped with aluminum heat tape? Dimensions would also be helpful unless they are going to be offered as an upgrade. Excellent job in any case. You obviously have a good eye for scale. Here's some more shots of the Hawg, Thanks, Brad

Comment

Aros, the pack I was looking at is the 6S 4K 65C pack. Testing shows it puts out more than most 5K - 6K packs. Weight is only 733gr and cost is $85.28 from US warehouse. On the 5K graphene, I'm seeing $123 per pack and yes much heavier.
                                Yeah, but powerful or not... mAh is mAh and you'll take a drastic hit in flight time dropping down to 4k.

Let's be hoenst... If you have more power, you're going to use it! Same reason why cars with more power also come with a heavier foot and less mpg. Just can't resist! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

I get $123.00 for the 5K, 6s, 65C Graphene. Are you including shipping from their Int. Warehouse? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene...5c-w-xt90.html They are only slightly more money when available from their Oregon warehouse.
                                  I commented on this in another forum ..................... When you buy high C Graphenes, you are actually "upsizing" (given the same mah rating). For example, when you buy a 1500mah Graphene, it's more equivalent to a "normal" 1800mah. An 1800mah, is closer to a 2200. A 3000mah, is closer to a 3600mah. Therefore, a 5000mah, is more like a 5500mah. The big advantage of a Graphene is two fold. You get a higher actual C and hence, you get a significant amount of extra "punch". It's been said by those in the know, that no battery can actually put out much more than 30C - 40C. The Graphene 65C puts out a "real" 30+C. Non-Graphene type LiPos when rated at a high C, can barely put out 1/3 for "real".
                                  If you choose a Graphene of the same dimensional size in a high C rating, compared to a non-Graphene, you get less mah, BUT, when flown in the same manner, you get more punch and the same, if not slightly more flight time. Another example would be my Admiral Pro 3600mah, 4s vs 3000mah, 4s Graphene in my twin 70mm SebArt Mig 29. Both fly about the same time but the Graphene has way more punch on a vertical hand launch and can do a faster level pass AND the Admiral Pro come down HOT and starting to get a bit puffy. The Graphene is barely warm and solid.
                                  Maybe "mah is mah", however, with the Graphenes, each mah seem to be able to do more for longer. I'd love to see the Admirals go to graphene technology.

Comment

• Exactly my point xviper2. Then add the fact that the graphenes can get 500+ cycles for lifespan. I really like Admiral battery quality standards and specs. Would like to see what an Admiral graphene could be. Especially for EDF use. We don't use NiCd or NiMH batteries for motor power anymore because electric power has, and will continue to, evolve.

Comment

• Hi guys- my first post! Like everyone here, I'm really looking forward to owning this model and plan on modding it a bit (probably next winter as who wants to be in the shop in the summer?). I like opening canopies so that leads me to a question: is there room for a full depth cockpit or does a battery occupy that space?- I can't tell from the photos I've seen. It doesn't matter of course but this bird deserves a full cockpit if possible.
                                      Photos are of my 90mm Haoye F-18 with a scratch-built cockpit- the pilot is a Jet Hangar Hobbies 1/10 figure (and I'll certainly be getting one of his brothers for the Hog).
                                      Tom

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk Pogo! Nice looking SB cockpit there! Yep another JHH 1:10 pilot will be perfect for this Hawg...As for if this one will have room for a FD cockpit, I can't recall what Alpha said on that...Try searching this thread for "Full depth cockpit" or the like or Alpha may respond soon.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hi Pogo, welcome to Hobby Squawk!

A few pages back I posted photos of this A-10 showing the same Jet Hangar Hobbies 1/10 pilot figure seated inside. It just takes a minute to cut off his boots, and shave down his butt a bit, but otherwise it fits right in. There's plenty of space to detail if you're into that sort of thing. Nice looking cockpit, by the way!

Comment

Working...
                                          X