Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I could not find it in the 103 page thread. How challenging is the Avanti S to fly? I have a fair amount of fast airplane experience as the proud owner of a FMS P-39 (sucks that it was discontinued), but my EDF experience is limited to a UMX F-16, and a brief flirtation with a Stinger 64mm 4s before my former home field banned EDFs. Would I be better off going for the Avanti (which everyone raves about, but costs roughly $700 including 3 batteries and spares), or picking up a 64mm edf (another stinger or parkjet), and getting more experience on that. Thank you for your replies.

Comment

• Get more experience on a larger not so fast plane. Your stated experience is with birds that weighed 3 lbs or less.
      The Avanti is double that and that additional weight that you have not experienced in landings yet could get real expensive real fast.
      Welcome to the Squawk ;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by YKTMXBOW View Post
        My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I could not find it in the 103 page thread. How challenging is the Avanti S to fly? I have a fair amount of fast airplane experience as the proud owner of a FMS P-39 (sucks that it was discontinued), but my EDF experience is limited to a UMX F-16, and a brief flirtation with a Stinger 64mm 4s before my former home field banned EDFs. Would I be better off going for the Avanti (which everyone raves about, but costs roughly $700 including 3 batteries and spares), or picking up a 64mm edf (another stinger or parkjet), and getting more experience on that. Thank you for your replies.
        The AvantiS is a *****cat to fly. It will go as fast as you want or at a moderate speed if you like. What planes have you flown that are around 50 inch wingspan? How comfortable do you feel with larger planes? If you have solid flying skills, then this is a good plane. But you really need to have solid skills on a plane that has a wingspan of around 50 inches. The Stinger 64 4s is fast and will give you some good practice on a speedy plane, but you still need to be worried about the size differential.

1. Stable plane to fly for a first EDF so long as you have solid ability with a prop plane
        2. Plane doesn't have any bad tendencies.
        3. Will go fast or moderate and do every maneuver in the book.

Comment

• I'm with the guys! My first and only jet so far, is the Avanti. It's a great airplane, but like anything fast, you have to be able to stay ahead of it. Also some trike gear experience, which it looks like you have.
          It's hard to give any solid advice to someone that I haven't seen fly, so I have to assume that you are under experienced rather than over, so I'd advise caution and work your way through the maze of faster aircraft and as CB said experience in landings is a must. She's not a 'chop your throttle and glide her in'
          kind of bird unless you have good skills and judgement. If you are ready for her, there is not a greater first jet in my opinion.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Well, you guys talked me into buying an Avanti! Looks like maidens on both these great jets will happen at Joe Nall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legman01 View Post
              Well, you guys talked me into buying an Avanti! Looks like maidens on both these great jets will happen at Joe Nall.
              Tell me about your table...

Comment

• I've looked in the fuselage electronics area and it appears like there is enough exit cooling air. As others have mentioned though there isn't enough coming in.

Having seen some mods I am thinking of using 3D printed NACA ducts on both sides of the fuse in the location in the picture.

One member mentioned that the holes he cut in a similar location actually blew air out. Not understanding why?

Do you guys think these NACA ducts will work to keep the batteries and ESC cooler?

Comment

• What type of rubberized glue does Freewing use to hold their magnets in place?

My canopy magnet was installed on edge and very well stuck. I had to remove it since the canopy wouldn't fit the fuselage flush. Now I need to reglue it.

What glue to use?

Thanks...

Comment

• Goop

Comment

• Originally posted by tommyt View Post
                      What type of rubberized glue does Freewing use to hold their magnets in place?

My canopy magnet was installed on edge and very well stuck. I had to remove it since the canopy wouldn't fit the fuselage flush. Now I need to reglue it.

What glue to use?

Thanks...
                      You should invest in Foam-Tac if you're gonna have foamies ;)
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• hay guys im building a new avanti my old one is getting tired thinking about putting the freewing inrunner 12 blade in it... would this be an upgrade over the stock set up

Comment

• 6s 3558 12 bl 1820 kv

Comment

• I'm working on finishing my paint job, but work keeps getting in the way.
                            Note to self....do not touch or rub the silver paint for three days !! You would have been done by now dummy.
                            BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• That's going to be nice!

Comment

• Couple shots of the build so far t45 pilots

Comment

• Don't touch it...don't unwrap...till the Callie Graphics arrive.
                                  BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• That's awful pretty paint t33, what brand is it??

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                                        Don't touch it...don't unwrap...till the Callie Graphics arrive.
                                        Wow that looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see the finished job. Nice one.

Comment

• Ok I couldn't wait any longer, so took my heat gun out and unwrapped her, Oooooo

Comment

Working...
                                          X