Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to maiden the Avanti today and even in 10-15 mph winds she was awesome! Of course winds were pretty much down the runway, wouldn’t have even tried in cross winds. Handles good slow and at top speed she seems to be on rails. I was worried about the CG being back too far, even with the battery full forward. I had to trim up elevator on first flight. Put 2nd battery in about 1in. back and with 2 clicks of down she flew straight with hands off at 1/2 throttle.
    +1 on 1/2 suggested throws and expo, don’t need near as much as what’s in the manual. I set those up for high rates but didn’t touch them.
    Nurvious since this was the first jet I’ve flown but it doesn’t have any bad tendencies.

Comment

• Awesome! Great news, grats mate.

Comment

• Way to go TLC, its a great airplane, I love mine!!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• How durable are the wing servo connectors? They don't look like they would like being taken on and off a lot.

Are you guys taking the wings off after each flying session or leaving them on?

Comment

• I leave mine on and retract the gear, she travels in the back of the crew cab just fine that way.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• I leave mine on as I have a mini van and it fits perfect in the back. Only one of my EDF or foamies that I break down before hauling is the A-10. Everything else fits.

Comment

• Built my Dad a custom Avanti and he decked it out in USAF livery.

This Avanti is covered in Econokote.
                For those unfamiliar, it's a low temp version of Monokote iron on film. Gloss White and Insignia Blue.

Decals and paint were removed from the stock model. Most of the yellow comes off with really high tack tape, I used a brush on paint remover (citristrip) for the gray.

Use a sock on the iron and low temp. Taking your time is critical - neither the covering nor the foam take kindly to even moderate levels of direct heat. Spray paint was used on the plastic parts needing coverage, no primer required. Decals provided by the consistently awesome Callie Graphics. :cool:

The process was a royal *pain* but the results came out friggin' awesome. Honestly didn't weigh it before/after, but I observed no detriment to performance! :D

Vic

Comment

• That color contrast will make it a lot easier to see. Great job!

Comment

• Very nice Ace! Looks pretty sleek.

Comment

• Great job Ace!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• :Cool:Nice!

Comment

• Awesome!

Comment

• So, the Avanti is in for rebuild after a less than spectacular landing! I have some aftermath pics coming once I get her reassembled. Basically, the fuse and vertical stab are being replaced. I had a crack in the fuse that I glued together a few times but its a weak spot and tends to let go in the same spot. Cracking open the fuse to repair the front retract mount didn't seem to help it either so I knew it was a matter of time. She did this really weird thing where she rolled over on her back on landing approach and broke the stab at the base and cracked in the same place again in the fuse. Glued everything back together again, but I just don't trust it, so, possibly spare parts, at least the stab, don't think I'll use the fuse again.
                            May I repeat, you learn to repair them long before you learn to fly them!!
                            Or, as I said to a fella who just joined our club and was flying with the president when he managed to crack up his new glider pretty badly.
                            He said that was a pretty expensive flight and I said, " Don't worry they slowly get cheaper!"

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              He said that was a pretty expensive flight and I said, " Don't worry they slowly get cheaper!"

Grossman56
                              OR NOT...............am still feelin the bite in my wallet over the Warty :Sick2:
                              Just a little self reminder Warbird............"midair collision avoidance maneuvers require vertical departure instead of lateral". ;)LOL
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Got that right, after dancing the Avanti off the runway, I took Shangrila up and the rudder servo packed it in. And at an angle wouldn't you know it.
                                Got her straightened around and dropped the gear and flaps after horsing her around the pattern, I noticed that she was crabbing and there was no side wind, oh oh!
                                Got her down safely not a scratch. Tell me why I love my FMS Mustangs!!!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Just got the u shaped brace for my nosegear, what did ya'll use to glue it in?

Comment

• I used 30 min epoxy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrandonTW82 View Post
                                      Just got the u shaped brace for my nosegear, what did ya'll use to glue it in?
                                      I did gorilla glue
                                      Eventually Gravity Always Wins

Comment

• Uhu por. ;)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	130353 i am still flying this plane every weekend

Comment

Working...