Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I am SO digging the black canopy!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Black canopy + intense heat of summer sun .................... what will happen?????

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
        Black canopy + intense heat of summer sun .................... what will happen?????
        Cut open some vent holes in the bottom of the cockpit & nothing will happen....Just like what I did with my Stinger 90 canopy..;)Also did the same to my 80mm Avanti S..

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Cut open some vent holes in the bottom of the cockpit & nothing will happen....Just like what I did with my Stinger 90 canopy..;)Also did the same to my 80mm Avanti S..
          I painted my Stinger90 canopy black and it melted in less than an hour. It gets hot here in Kansas!

I now have a clear one for hot sunny days, and a black one for cooler days.

Comment

• Vent holes put into the Canopy are key no doubt!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donu View Post
              Vent holes put into the Canopy are key no doubt!
              Agreed. I even do that with clear canopies. Just the tip of a #11 blade twisted in near an upper area next to the canopy "frame". Only a small hole is needed and rarely even noticable.

Like poking a politician with a pin....just lets the hot air outLOL

Comment

• HAAA!!!

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Yeah no kidding, right!

Comment

• Quick couple of questions....

Does anyone e know the wing area area of the Avanti?

I see the ESC is rated at 100A, I just did a quick power check with my Emeter II and recorded 101 max amps with a Revo graphine 6S4400 (4.2v) lipo. I know this was an initial quick test on a freshly charged pack, should I be concerned? I have a lot of electric experience and not use to pushing ESC's this hard.....

thnx.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donu View Post
                      Vent holes put into the Canopy are key no doubt!
                      Thanks I'll give it a try

Comment

• Just got back from the field ... What a great flying airplane ! Loads of power , incredible up lines , lighting fast rolls , knife edge flight with no coupling, lands at a crawl , all I can say is wow ....

Comment

• Great to hear Felixs10 !
                          Mine is supposed to be here on Monday, it's posted as being in Casper, Wy now, so that's just a couple of hours away !

Great to hear that it flies so well. When I was looking for my first EDF, I got in touch with Alpha and this is the one he recommended, just glad I took his advice.

Gotta fly with that guy one day..........

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by DSumner View Post
                            Quick couple of questions....

Does anyone e know the wing area area of the Avanti?

I see the ESC is rated at 100A, I just did a quick power check with my Emeter II and recorded 101 max amps with a Revo graphine 6S4400 (4.2v) lipo. I know this was an initial quick test on a freshly charged pack, should I be concerned? I have a lot of electric experience and not use to pushing ESC's this hard.....

thnx.
                            This is why I'm running a castle 10 amp bec like others have mentioned. Just in case:Confused:

Comment

• The nose gear doors are flimsy and dont line up when close so I epoxied 2mm carbon rods on the inside of both doors. All is well

Comment

• The canopy looks SO MUCH better in black... Wow.

Comment

• Got the maiden and other flights in yesterday. What a sweet bird! I fly from a grass field and she took off and rose as smooth as silk. Required zero trim and flew like it was on rails. The color scheme really pops in the air.

All flights were done with Admiral Pro 4000mah 60C batteries to keep it light. 3 minutes were good with mixed throttle. With the way it climbs and zips around, it's hard not to stay in the upper 75% of the throttle just for the fun of it. Flew all flights in low rates and had no problem doing anything I wanted it to do. Even on low rates, the ailerons have a lot of authority and are very sensitive. I reduced the thow even more and increased expo. Still has a fast roll rate.

Time to land comes all too soon. The flap thows and elev mix in the manual were used and proved to be just right. She slowed down nicely and settled into a nice glide slope. On the first landing I went for a three point touch down. My field is not real smooth and has a lot of rough areas. On touch down the nose trailing link compressed and immediately launched the nose skyward with the rest of the bird following. She lept about a foot in the air followed by two more short hops. No damage. The two following landings were done by touching down on the mains first and trying to set the nose down easy. The nose still wanted to bounce. The nose strut compresses very easily. Maybe a heavier battery will overcome the tendency to bounce. The mains are sprung perfectly. I did wind up breaking the front of a nose gear door off on a clump of grass during a bouncing episode.

Other than the nose bouncing, which could be part of the pilot learning curve, I see this bird being the one that goes to the field most often. It's powered well stock and sounds great both on the ground and in the air. Grass field take offs are a non-issue for this bird. It has outstanding flight characteristics with no bad habbits. And the lighting package, what's not to like? It has already become my favorite EDF.

The guys at the field really admired the way she looks and flew. One guy said " Wow that thing looks fast just sitting there". I know at least three more were being ordered that day. Well done Freewing and the Motion RC Design and Test Teams. You've really given us a winner.

And for those looking for a first EDF, Put this one at the top of your list. Set it up mildly to really build your confidence and when you are ready turn her loose!

Comment

• TJ......I thought of you at the MOB's float fly yesterday and now I know that you had a higher plane LOL of activity. ;) Now we are even closer to the HOG :)
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I used Foam Tac on my canopy which works great but did anyone find out if the glue sent with the Avanti is for the canopy? Just curious......

Comment

• Hi Donu, you're chief correct, the included glue is what we use at the factory to adhere the canopy on essentially all Freewing's canopies.

Keep the flight reports coming, everyone! Thanks for posting.
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Flew mine yesterday. Jus hace to say wwwoowww she really is fast. Had 17 mil/h wind and no problems. Just at one of my landings I scraped my right wing against the asphalt.

Does anyone know if I can buy the paint for touch ups?

Comment

Working...
                                          X