Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi SmokeNgun, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Alpha explained why there's play in the nose gear. In years past, the rigidity of gear created problems under load so often times the retracts could break under stress from, say, a very hard landing. The play you see is intentional and in fact helps the gear under load and stress. Hope that helps.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
      Grats on the successful maidens boys. Hopefully do mine tomorrow. Can't wait. :)

Hhnf, Bill, can you post me a quick of your battery position in the tray? Cheers mate.
      Hey Shirty.. Here is the position of my Turnigy HD 4000mah battery.. Good luck on your Maiden.. I'm sure you'll Ace it..:Cool:

Comment

• Thanks bill, thanks tcat too for the battery pics. I've got some zippy compacts at just over 800 grams, and the new graphenes are over 900, so was looking for a rough starting point for each. Weather forecast looks good (only 15mph winds), so tomorrows the day. Woohoo! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
          I've installed trailing links on my Stinger 90 and it really does improve the landings immensely. However, my Avanti should arrive tomorrow. I'll reserve judgement till I fly it and compare. I've loved my S90 but I'm not averse to putting it in Kijiji if the Avanti is that much better. Or even keeping both if both are just as good but "different".
          What trailing links did you use xviper? I ordered Avanti ones and I plan to put the Stingers wheels on them, seems like it'll work with a little finagling.

Comment

• Good luck Shirty, although I doubt you will need it! She's just THAT good! LOL
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
              Thanks bill, thanks tcat too for the battery pics. I've got some zippy compacts at just over 800 grams, and the new graphenes are over 900, so was looking for a rough starting point for each. Weather forecast looks good (only 15mph winds), so tomorrows the day. Woohoo! :)
              Here's the location I started in with the Gens Ace 5500 45c. I have since moved it back a bit. Latest flights were made with the back edge of the battery at the leading edge of the optional ply tray extension.
              Avoid high rates on the ailerons.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01974.JPG
Views:	1004
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	78055
              My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Thanks fellas. Though I have wondered about the comments from a few on roll rate - even though I'm used to big throws and quick surfaces- I did program 3 rates into my radio (just in case lol!) But as we say downunder, she'll be right mate (haha famous last words). Cheers boys. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron lake View Post

What trailing links did you use xviper? I ordered Avanti ones and I plan to put the Stingers wheels on them, seems like it'll work with a little finagling.
                  With few other choices at the time, I used the struts from the Freewing S. Scorpion 80mm. I've also used the same ones on my Venom and Eurofighter.

Comment

• Tahdah! :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1166.JPG
Views:	804
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	78067Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	805
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	78065Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1164.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	78066
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Mine is all ready to go. Maiden flight later today. Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips. I promised some photos in my previous post so here they are. My setup is as follows: Converted the power connector to Deans (to match everything else I have). Spektrum AR9350 receiver (2 satellites) with AS3X gyros and telemetry. I am running motor battery voltage, temperature, and RX battery volts right now on telemetry. I pushed the red wire out of the throttle channel from the ESC and capped it with heat shrink. I am running a separate 1300 mah LiFe RX battery through a switch for the radio. Based on past experience with most ARF's I have set my high rates to about 85% of the values in the manual. I have set my low rates to the suggested percentages of high rate in the manual. I have also set up a third rate that is the same as low rate but has some guesses at expo values I want to try. For the gyros, I started with three settings, none, 25% rate/0% heading and then 25% rate/25% heading. I can turn the heading gain up or down in flight so I will experiment with it and report back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                        Hi SmokeNgun, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Alpha explained why there's play in the nose gear. In years past, the rigidity of gear created problems under load so often times the retracts could break under stress from, say, a very hard landing. The play you see is intentional and in fact helps the gear under load and stress. Hope that helps.
                        With all this play there's no problem with tracking while going down the runway ? Seem like this plane is going to be all over the place on take off, but maybe with the weight of the battery perhaps it will be ok.
                        Will have to see..

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          Slapped another 3 flights on her this evening. I would swear this jet has a built in stabilizer!

Completely dead stick at 7:05 for the entire final approach. That's how floaty and controllable she is. :)

I'd like to know what camera you are using?

Rick

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                            With few other choices at the time, I used the struts from the Freewing S. Scorpion 80mm. I've also used the same ones on my Venom and Eurofighter.
                            Thanks xviper

Comment

• Shirty - Lookin' gooooood! :Cool:
                              SmokeNGun - This jet tracks better than any jet I have ever had. How's that for "slop endorsement"? LOL

rpellicciotti - That is the Mobius 2 Action Camera 1080P 60FPS. Sweet camera!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Even with the serious play in the nose strut, it tracks just fine :). I wouldn't worry about it :Cool:.

Comment

• Have fun on your maiden flights guys! Those planes are looking good. :Smug:

Comment

• Four more flights today bring mine to 21. Had a strange experience with it today too. Made a take off on my last flight and climbed out before rolling over into a split S to come back down the runway when all of a sudden it made a right hand turn all by itself. Not sure of why, it's almost like it snap rolled to the right. Luckily I was at enough altitude to fly out of it but now it has me concerned. It did something very similar yesterday while putting it through a loop. As it was coming down the back side it just suddenly changed directions on me, again at enough altitude to recover from it with no issues. Maybe too much throw in the elevator? :Confused: I was flying on my mid rate for elevator which is the same as the manuals low rate.

Comment

• I cant find the reference searching back about the 6s balance plug adapter that is placed on the wing connectors to take the strain from the wiring when disconnecting the wings. I have the ones i picked up from BuddyRC and those dont fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                                        I cant find the reference searching back about the 6s balance plug adapter that is placed on the wing connectors to take the strain from the wiring when disconnecting the wings. I have the ones i picked up from BuddyRC and those dont fit.
                                        I think what you are thinking of is from the A-10 build video. I ordered some as well and they are too large for the Avanti's cables. They do however fit the 6s batteries I have. Hoping the harness for the A-10 is larger since that's what I really ordered them for anyway.

Comment

• Second flight on her today, had an audience this time. Figured out what I was doing wrong on landing. Being a tail dragger guy, I forgot to pull the nose up as the last second to flare. She started into her bounce again, and I pulled back elevator and she immediately settled in. AH HA thinks I,:Cool: Now I know !!;)
                                          Again, the plastic base of the front gear came loose, so she's back in traction, hopefully I've got her right this time.
                                          But what a great flying bird !
                                          Afterwards I took her over to the rougher grassed section of the field and demonstrated her 'off road' capabilities to the crowd as they stood there gob smacked.
                                          Very impressive plane.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X