• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grats mate.

Comment

• Jo

Comment

• Looks great Xviper, mine looks like that until the wheels touch down and she goes into her bucking bronco act. Where are you placing your battery ??
        Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
          Had my maiden flight today. The video is of my second flight. Note how rough our field is. I am astounded by just how tough the gear is on this plane. I've seen few other fields as bumpy as ours and the gear is near bulletproof. It didn't even so much as hiccup. My maiden flight had a fairly bouncy landing as I had not determined how to land it yet. Compared to my Stinger 90, I'd say the Avanti is much more responsive to control input and is marginally faster. I might even say that the Avanti was a bit on the touchy side until I dialed down the rates even further and increased the expo even more. If I can close the deal on the sale of my Stinger 90, the Avanti will be my sport jet of choice.
          Video via Firefly Q6 (90* field) hat cam. Best viewed in full screen.

Great flight man!

Comment

• Nice!
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
              Looks great Xviper, mine looks like that until the wheels touch down and she goes into her bucking bronco act. Where are you placing your battery ??
              Grossman56
              I don't have a picture of the battery in place but I'm using a 5000mah, Gens Ace, 6s, 45C and it balances ~105mm - 110mm (finger method on a mark), upside down, wheels up.
              "Bucking bronco" ........... good description of what it looks like when driving X-country.

Comment

• Congrats XViper... Logged another 4 flts today on a Totally awesome Sunny Zero wind Day with Freewing's most Totally awesome Jet.. What else can I say?? Perfectamundo..:)

Comment

• Looks like the Avanti has great recovery ability after a stall. Don't try this at home though...

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
                    Perfectamundo..:)
                    :Cool: EEHHHHH! :Cool:

Comment

Looks great Xviper, mine looks like that until the wheels touch down and she goes into her bucking bronco act. Where are you placing your battery ??
                      Grossman56
                      I was in the same boat as you with the Bucking Bronco landings. I, like you, fly mainly taildraggers. So I think the trkie gear learning curve is part of it. I don't have the problem with the FL P-38 though.

The Avanti nose gear trailing link really compresses easy and springs back with a vengence. Add to that some rough areas at my field and nose bounce happens pretty easy. I did make a mod that eliminated the bounce for mine. I had noticed that the upper link collar on my strut was loose. I found no lock-tite on any of the grub screws. While I had the strut apart, I took a 5/16" long piece of blue silicon fuel tubing and slid it all the way down the strut piston near the wheel. Then reassembled everything with the lock-tite. The trailing link still has plenty of travel and is now cushioned at the lower end of the travel reducing the energy build up. Ten landings since with no more bouncing. :Cool:

Comment

• I got 10 phenomenal flights in with this aircraft on Saturday, and had a blast. I had so much fun until I was packing up, and I put the plane on the stand quickly to put the gear up for transportation home. As I put the retracts up, I had a club member behind me ask for help with a troublesome ESC on his scratch built plane (who is used to non-electric powered aircraft), and as I turn around to take my eye off my plane on the stand a gust of wind picks the plane up and smashes it into the ground several feet away :Scared:. It happened so quickly is was almost comical (but of course totally frustrating to see my plane crunched). So, I had to order a new vertical stabalizer, canopy, and some other parts. The wings are also scrunched, but I covered them in vinyl on the ends to take away the ugliness. So, the plane will be ready to take the skies with some new parts. Lesson learned, do exactly as I normally do and never take my eye off the plane on the stand, and pack everything up in the car, THEN go back and help :Cool:. That wind got the best of me, and is very "sneaky-sneaky".

Here is what I covered the wing tips with to hide the grossness worth of damage (still need to trim and smooth some more, but close) :

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1146.JPG Views:	1 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	79518Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1144.JPG Views:	1 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	79517

Comment

• Ah bummer man! Don't you hate when that kind of stuff happens?

For a positive, that faux CF vinyl looks sweet! Where did you get that and we should carry it!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                            Ah bummer man! Don't you hate when that kind of stuff happens?

For a positive, that faux CF vinyl looks sweet! Where did you get that and we should carry it!
                            Thanks! I completely agree that Motion should carry it. I looked for the product first on Motions website, but it wasn't there so I had to look elsewhere. It's made by Hangar-9, and is there Peel and Stick line called UltraTrim (for the carbon fiber roll, it's ITEM #: HANU91000). They come in 3-3/8"x78" small rolls. It's perfect for trim pieces and accenting not only because if it's size, but because it is peel and stick, and therefore requires no heat to activate the adhesive, which is ideal for our foam planes. Hangar-9 has all sorts of colors, and some carbon fiber patterns. Some other vinyl manufacturers carry Peel and Stick versions of their vinyl covering material/products, but some are more like stickers and don't conform well to edges and rounded surfaces. The UltraTrim is very thin (and comforms a bit better than all the others I've tried). Being extra thin helps with weight and conformity, but the downside is it doesn't hide imperfections underneath nearly as well and the other thicker materials. However, it's still much better and worthwhile over the other covering products I've tried. Just my opinion though, and that's worth....maybe nothing. LOL

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...odID=HANU91000

Comment

• It does look great though, T-Cat !
                              Good to know if I ever need to make major repairs.
                              I was really hoping to get some response on battery placement, just go the 5000 and it's longer than the 4000.
                              I've been going by the Factory CG as well, any comments on that ??

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

It does look great though, T-Cat !
                                Good to know if I ever need to make major repairs.
                                I was really hoping to get some response on battery placement, just go the 5000 and it's longer than the 4000.
                                I've been going by the Factory CG as well, any comments on that ??

Grossman56
                                Thanks Grossman! It thankfully adds a bit of a unique look, and helps hide the visible damage that was an eyesore. Once I get the new canopy on, and vertical stabilizer, it will be looking almost as good as new.

I wish I could help on the battery placement, but my take wouldn't be accurate as the power system I'm using is heavier and so is the 6S battery. The rear of my LiPo is literally lined up perfectly with the rear screws of the battery tray.

Comment

• Sorry to hear it mate. But nice fix, looks good. A mate of mine did the same to his hsd turbine viper that caught fire, you'd hardly notice it was burnt with the carbon-look covering. I'm constantly reminding people in my pits to put their planes on the ground after tinkering, seen way to many get blown off tables etc. we get a lot of windwillies as well as gusty winds, so gotta keep a close eye on them when they are on the tables. Grossman I'm using a zippy compact 5000's, I have mine lined up with the rear of the tray. I haven't tried the graphenes yet, but I'm assuming with the extra 110 grams of the graphenes I'll need to put it a bit over the back of the tray.

Comment

• Thanks Shirty !

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                                      Sorry to hear it mate. But nice fix, looks good. A mate of mine did the same to his hsd turbine viper that caught fire, you'd hardly notice it was burnt with the carbon-look covering. I'm constantly reminding people in my pits to put their planes on the ground after tinkering, seen way to many get blown off tables etc. we get a lot of windwillies as well as gusty winds, so gotta keep a close eye on them when they are on the tables. Grossman I'm using a zippy compact 5000's, I have mine lined up with the rear of the tray. I haven't tried the graphenes yet, but I'm assuming with the extra 110 grams of the graphenes I'll need to put it a bit over the back of the tray.
                                      That's for sure. It happens in the blink of an eye. What a pain! Thankfully it does cover the damage rather well, and the people at the field that would notice it would just think I did a bad job covering it since the wrinkles in the foam are still visible through the film, just not as apparent. It's good enough though, and not worth buying new wings for.

Comment

• I use the admiral 5000's (new long skinny ones) and they sit even with the front of the tray. So added another strap in the front of the tray as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcflyguy View Post
                                          Flap issue... it's not the connectors. Has to be the board. One or the other will not go up after landing with full flaps. No issue with take off flap setting. They will always go down. Cycle power, they go up, then work normal till after landing.

Will have to bypass board for the flaps.
                                          9 flights after speeding up servos it did it again. Always the port side flap that doesn't go up after a full flap landing. Installed y-harness. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                          X