• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bill34207 View Post

Pos 0 -100%
    Pos 1 -31% Elev 2%
    Pos 2 40% Elev 4%

I started off at the forward recommended CG but have already moved to the rearmost recommended setting.
    Thanks! I am off to maiden. Video to follow. Can't wait!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Good luck Aros. Five flights today bring this one to 17 and was lucky enough for Keith to show up and run camera on the last flight. Wind pattern today was mostly NNW at around 8 mph (crosswind and forcing me to fly reverse pattern to the east wind pattern I normally fly and am comfortable with.) A less than stellar flight performance on my part and far from a graceful touchdown after the gasser cranked up right behind where I was standing. I couldn't even hear myself think, let alone what the fan and motor was doing :Clown:

My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• At least yours didn't do the bucking bronco thing like mine !!
        Gotta figure that one out. Got everything working now except the plastic anchor for the front landing gear, which was flexing at the front end, therefore not allowing the gear to fully retract. It's drying now, so we'll see.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          At least yours didn't do the bucking bronco thing like mine !!
          Gotta figure that one out. Got everything working now except the plastic anchor for the front landing gear, which was flexing at the front end, therefore not allowing the gear to fully retract. It's drying now, so we'll see.

Grossman56
          Gman,
          Of the multiple hundreds of landings i've had with the 86, that was my worse landing at NEFI last year, and of course caught on video. Yes, the best advise I can give you is when you get a foot from the ground, try to extend your flare/touchdown as loooooong as possible. Bleed off that speed/energy! IF, you do touchdown early, don't over correct the plane coming up by elevator down...

Anyway...attachedi video at the 4:00 mark, show's one of my "Skips" when landing.. be ready to add a little power, sometimes, to get that smooth landing after touching down too soon.

Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Just got back from a highly successful maiden and three successive flights. Holy crab cakes this jet is SWEET!!!

I used the Admiral 4000 for the maiden. CG at 110mm. Flew on low rates which were still a little sensitive so I dialed them back on the other flights. This jet is ROCK SOLID. By far the most stress-less maiden I can remember. Takeoff roll is on rails, flies on rails, needed just a click or two or right and it was like it was my 100th flight with her. Incredibly floaty with flaps, so much so I dead-sticked the landings on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th flights completely. (I have a high approach over a tree line which affords me the opportunity with a jet as floaty as this). What more can I say that hasn't already been said? It's really hot today so I am going to wait until dusk for my next flights. Wow, this thing is a home run any way you slice it. I couldn't be more thrilled!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Congrats Aros.. After flying the Avanti you going to mothball the F-16??:)

Comment

• Nah, but she may be taking a back seat for a little while. ;)
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• When you decide to recommission the F-16 you'll wonder what that lead weight is that you're flying..LOL

Comment

• Morning flights with Doug. I got razzed on RC groups forum by a few guys so I removed two of the whistles as the sound did sound like overkill on the slow flybys. The single mid sized Nerf Vortex football whistle sounds best to me, blending in with the jets own sound. Doug and I discover that wheelies are indeed possible as the onlooking owls tilt their heads in puzzlement.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1103.JPG Views:	1 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	78002Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1105.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	78003Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1104.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	78004 Congrats to all on their awesome maiden flights and videos! They look amazing.

I got my maiden flight in, and four more flight after that. Everything went without a problem. A little elevator trim and aileron trim, and completely rock solid. It makes you so comfortable actually, that I felt more than safe to do aerobatics on the maiden. That speaks a lot about the plane. I've already said a long bit about the great aspects of the plane in this thread on a post long ago when I had only one flight on Alpha's production model. I loved it then, and I REALLY love the jet now after getting more stick time on it. I used low rates for aileron, and middle rates for everything else. The ailerons even on low are MORE than enough to do virtually any aerobatics you want it to do that involves them. The middle setting of throws on the rudder was enough to do knife edge fine, and elevator had plenty of authority on middle rates as well. It lands gently, flaps work fantastic for slow flight, and I went without any mixing at all on flap to elevator for pitch. Slowed down enough, drop the gear, wait, feed in flaps, and I didn't notice any significant pitching. The trailing link struts worked great and made landing extra nice and delicious. My 6S Jetfan setup I assembled and installed worked flawlessly (although I tested the heck out of it ahead of time just in case), and is faster than my modded Stinger 90 with a more aggressive power system. For reference, I am flying mine with a very heavy 900g 6S 5000mah battery and with the extra weight of the aftermarket power system, I virtually needed a battery that heavy to balance well as I only have a little more room the move forward. The plane handed the added weight completely fine, and almost unnoticed. I installed an afterburner ring and ran the wiring through the top of the fuselage and then under the battery tray, and that also worked out great, thankfully. I decided to try the blue canopy on for style. It's growing on me. I ordered a few canopies just to paint a bunch and see which ones I like most and want to interchange from time to time.

To sum it up :), this is by far the best PNP jet I've ever flown for the money. Hands down....not even a contest.

Comment

• Grats on the successful maidens boys. Hopefully do mine tomorrow. Can't wait. :)

Hhnf, Bill, can you post me a quick of your battery position in the tray? Cheers mate.

Comment

• Those are some nice and crisp photos of your Avanti Tommy! Very nice!

Comment

• Nice report T-CAT! Yep, she's every bit worth the gushing we've been doing over the past few months. Apologies to all the Stinger 90's out there that will be seeing less air time. ;)
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks guys! It's been awesome hearing how other people like theirs as well.

I laughed hard at the Stinger 90 comment because I was just talking about that with a friend today :D. I love that plane and it's going to be a lonely beast with the Avanti doing everything it could do AND better, AND cheaper. Ha-ha

Comment

• For reference, I am flying mine with a very heavy 900g 6S 5000mah battery and with the extra weight of the aftermarket power system, I basically needed a battery that heavy to balance well as I only have a little more room the move forward. I also have the small weight of the AB light providing a bit more weight to the rear as well. The plane handed the added weight completely fine, and almost unnoticed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	78030Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1108.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	78031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	78032

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                  Thanks guys! It's been awesome hearing how other people like theirs as well.

I laughed hard at the Stinger 90 comment because I was just talking about that with a friend today :D. I love that plane and it's going to be a lonely beast with the Avanti doing everything it could do AND better, AND cheaper. Ha-ha
                                  Not so fast!

The Stinger90 still sounds better with that big 90mm fan and after I install Avanti main gear with those trailing link struts it'll land like a peach.

I really like both jets:Hug:

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron lake View Post

Not so fast!

The Stinger90 still sounds better with that big 90mm fan and after I install Avanti main gear with those trailing link struts it'll land like a peach.

I really like both jets:Hug:
                                    I've installed trailing links on my Stinger 90 and it really does improve the landings immensely. However, my Avanti should arrive tomorrow. I'll reserve judgement till I fly it and compare. I've loved my S90 but I'm not averse to putting it in Kijiji if the Avanti is that much better. Or even keeping both if both are just as good but "different".

Comment

• I love my Stinger 90, and will still always enjoy flying it, but sound may just about be the only thing better about it (you're definitely right about that), and that's even something that can be changed, or just subjective in general :). I'll be keeping my Stinger (I think ;)) since it's a treat to fly. However, the Avanti simply makes me not have the urge to fly the Stinger as often simply because it's hard for me not to prefer the added features of the Avanti and the more crisp flight characteristics.

Comment

• Slapped another 3 flights on her this evening. I would swear this jet has a built in stabilizer!

Completely dead stick at 7:05 for the entire final approach. That's how floaty and controllable she is. :)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have just one complaint.
                                          Received my Avanti S on Thursday 5/25/ put it together 5/28.

My only complaint is the front nose gear has a lot of play in it. The retract pin that hold the strut, as well as the wheel pin and am not sure what the other
                                          items are call that have the e-ring on them. This is going to cause big problem trying to take off.

Trying to figure out away to rid all this play.
                                          Wonder if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X