X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
    Re: flaps .................................. I have mine on a 3 second deployment. They seem to work fine. One thing of note, when I first got the plane put together, both flaps worked. The next time I powered it up, one flap did not work. Checking everything, I discovered that one of the mult-plugs in the circuit board was not fully seated. After wiggling it and pushing it down all the way, the dead flap started working. The other plug also had some movement although not as much. You guys might want to double check these plugs. A poor seat could result in a servo not working if deployment is too slow. In any case, I'm keeping mine at 3 seconds.
    The first thing i did when flap failed to go up was a visual inspection and wiggle test. No problems found. Changed setting from 6 seconds to 3. 5 flights with no problems.

Comment

• Great pic mate! (God I love those 16's of yours...).

Clocked up another 6 flights today, I'm sooooo digging this plane. (My big 3D birds are starting to give me filthy looks as I walk out with the avanti each morning...) just such a nice, fun, easy, no stress bird to fly. (Once you tame down those ailerons a little). Tracks so well I might take it to my next imac meet just to stir the boys up lol. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
        I'm sooooo digging this plane. (My big 3D birds are starting to give me filthy looks as I walk out with the avanti each morning...) just such a nice, fun, easy, no stress bird to fly. (Once you tame down those ailerons a little). Tracks so well I might take it to my next imac meet just to stir the boys up lol. ;)
        Agree completely Shirty. My other birds are feeling a bit neglected as well. This bird is so much fun. The ailerons did need to be tamed a bit. Moved mine in one hole on the servo arm. Got her to do a really nice pop top on the last outing. A real winner here MRC and FW.

Comment

•  

Comment

• What a great video! You guys rock!

Comment

• Thanks Shirty! You're right, she is no-stress, my favorite kind! My warbirds are also giving her the stink eye lately every time she gets to hop in the back of my SUV instead of them. ;)

urrl, another great Owl Production video! :)
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

•  

Comment

• There are three AvantiS jets at JAXRC now. They all fly great. We all added the wing fences. I cut the rib cutout about 3mm wider all the way around before I glued my fences on. I didn't want to cut the foam 3mm deep all the way around. I just scored the edges of the foam and when I slid the fences on it crushed the foam just enough to seal everything. I used white glue to hold the fences on. My Avanti has a Minion for a pilot and Roy's has the pilot out of a Freewing F86 that flew through a barbed wire fence. We had a combined eleven flights today and every one ended with a perfect landing without touching the grass edges of the runway.

Comment

• Where did you get the minion ? I can't find a good one to put in there.

Comment

• Just thought I would throw some info for those of us with the Avanti. This past Saturday I was flying my Avanti when it suddenly lost power. This happened while doing a flyby down the runway. I was already too far down to attempt a runway landing so I just put the gear back up and went to belly land in the grass at the end. Boy his jet will float a long way. I ended up going further than the mowed part and went into some higher grass. The nose cone had come off and one of the front gear doors has also popped off. No major damage. I went back and put the gear door back on, but discovered that spring that holds it open was missing. It turns out that this spring is needed to properly sequence the doors and let the wheel go in without hitting the doors. After trying to rig it so it would still work, it was time to order the door set from Motion. I also ordered a new nose cone since the other had been scratched. Now I have an extra spring and gear doors so I don't have to sit around waiting for parts.
                      The loss of power was caused by a cell going bad in the battery. This was a suspect battery that I forgot I had marked to check it. Completely my fault and now that battery is history. I love this jet and today we had the radar gun out to see the speed. Flat and level flight, 92mph. Coming out of a dive got it to 102mph. I using 5000 mah HRBs that weigh 771 grams. Going to get some Roaring Top 5000mahs with 70c and see if it gets any better, but it's quite fast enough for me. And for those that wonder if the FMS Futura is better or faster, my son has one and flew my Avanti also. He says that the Futura is only slightly faster but the Avanti flies much lighter and more precise. In fact he says he might sell his Futura and get the Avanti. And his Futura has an Aura gyro in it, so it goes to show that Motion and Freewing got it right.

Comment

• Flap issue... it's not the connectors. Has to be the board. One or the other will not go up after landing with full flaps. No issue with take off flap setting. They will always go down. Cycle power, they go up, then work normal till after landing.

Will have to bypass board for the flaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                          Great pic mate! (God I love those 16's of yours...).

Clocked up another 6 flights today, I'm sooooo digging this plane. (My big 3D birds are starting to give me filthy looks as I walk out with the avanti each morning...) just such a nice, fun, easy, no stress bird to fly. (Once you tame down those ailerons a little). Tracks so well I might take it to my next imac meet just to stir the boys up lol. ;)
                          Hey Shirty...Does that mean Freewing should produce more Sports Jets ??? I say totally...Much more Fun factor than Scale Jets...:Cool::)which judging by all the posts & comments are not getting flown ...LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Hey Shirty...Does that mean Freewing should produce more Sports Jets ??? I say totally...Much more Fun factor than Scale Jets...:Cool::)which judging by all the posts & comments are not getting flown ...LOL
                            Ssshhh, don't tell anyone I said this - but yes! (Never thought I'd get into sportjets, but they fly too darn good not to have one. Or two, or...). Got another 6 batts charged for the avanti and about to leave home for another day of flying. See you this arvo.

nice vids as always urrl. Sorry bout the crash, but good to see it didn't stop you for long. :)

Comment

• Thanks a lot guys for all the Input on the polyurethane. Decided for Varathane because of the UV protection. Hope it stays clear for a long time.

Comment

• i use tree house studios high gloss acrylic spray paint from hobby lobby 6 buck a can and does not yellow says so right on the can. goes on soo smooth 3 light coats and it looks great.

another several flights today with gps on board. 106 mph level and over 111 with a slight dive.. i am removing the igyro 3e i put in it as this plane needs no gyro at all.

Comment

• I let my buddy take her for a spin for a couple flights. He was floored as I knew he would be. I'm half tempted to just set my radio down on the ground and let her fly around on her own. LOL
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• 6 more flights down yesterday. 6 batts charged again for today. Guess who has a new favourite jet? ;)

Comment

• Nice!! That's how it's done :).

I flew 10 flights yesterday, and overall I'm loving this jet and it's versatile abilities. I'm looking forward to more soon. Unfortunately, next weekend our field isn't open, so I guess it has to wait two weeks. Ugh :Scared:

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcflyguy View Post
                                        Flap issue... it's not the connectors. Has to be the board. One or the other will not go up after landing with full flaps. No issue with take off flap setting. They will always go down. Cycle power, they go up, then work normal till after landing.

Will have to bypass board for the flaps.
                                        i also have noticed a flap issue with mine. Flight #5 went to deploy the flaps for landing and the plane rolled hard to the right, pulled the flaps up and tried again, it still rolled hard right. I just figured I lost a flap servo, no worries on a no flap landing as this plane virtually flys itself. After landing the flaps were working just fine. On flight #9 after I landed the right flap would not come up, cycled the power and once again the flaps were working just fine. I have since bypassed the circuit boards and hard wired all the control surfaces to the receiver except the retracts and the lights. Not a big deal as I never take the plane apart for transport. I checked and double checked all the connections before I hard wired everything. OBTW it only takes four 18 inch extensions to convert it over as long as you have enough ports on the receiver. Other than that this is a absolutely awesome plane!

Comment

• Had my maiden flight today. The video is of my second flight. Note how rough our field is. I am astounded by just how tough the gear is on this plane. I've seen few other fields as bumpy as ours and the gear is near bulletproof. It didn't even so much as hiccup. My maiden flight had a fairly bouncy landing as I had not determined how to land it yet. Compared to my Stinger 90, I'd say the Avanti is much more responsive to control input and is marginally faster. I might even say that the Avanti was a bit on the touchy side until I dialed down the rates even further and increased the expo even more. If I can close the deal on the sale of my Stinger 90, the Avanti will be my sport jet of choice.
                                          Video via Firefly Q6 (90* field) hat cam. Best viewed in full screen.

Comment

Working...
                                          X