X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

What exactly do you mean by "all the SAFE features"? If you have SAFE enabled 100% of the time you will not be flying the Avanti (or your Habu) to anything like its full potential.
    sorry yes, started off on the Habu in Beginner mode. Now I’m flying it Intermediate mode, if I take my hands off the sticks it rolls wings level or if I press the the bind button it recovers to straight and level. Although I don’t really need this stuff now

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
      Ok thanks, can you give me a link for a suitable Safe receiver ?
      cheers
      PS, the place I fly is grass only. Is it OK on grass ?
      Avanti has big wheels and is fine on grass.

AR637T has all the channels you need and telemetry to keep track of your flight pack voltage. What transmitter do you use?

Comment

• Thanks
        I’m using a Spektrum NX8

Comment

• You can go look on Horizon Hobby or places that sell Spektrum. I don't have any recommendations or suggestions since I don't use gyros in general or SAFE in particular...

It's good on decent grass, probably one of the best EDFs there is on grass.

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
          Ok thanks, can you give me a link for a suitable Safe receiver ?
          cheers
          PS, the place I fly is grass only. Is it OK on grass ?

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "all the SAFE features"? If you have SAFE enabled 100% of the time you will not be flying the Avanti (or your Habu) to anything like its full potential.
            You really are right there. SAFE is for sissies. Crash a few planes and you'll get quick smart. Play with the wind. It's the medium you fly in. I used to go out on windy days and fly an old J3 Cub and let it hang in the wind like a seagull....It's like playing a fast video game on the sticks. It shows you where the boundaries are....EDF's don't like SAFE....

Comment

• Ok thanks for the replies guys.
              The grass aspect is actually the most important because where I fly although the grass is short it’s quite spongy.
              The Habu with its big chunky wheels copes well with it.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Simon Bee;n326437]Thanks
                I’m using a Spektrum NX8 [/QUOTE
                Safe is a handy tool when learning to fly, but if you learn how to fly under buddy box instruction at a local model flying club you do not really need it.. If you can fly without it then you will be better off doing so as YOU will be flying the plane, not technology, where is the fun in that. !!!.. . Put a gyro in if you must to help if your flying days are restricted as it will make life easier until you get used to flying in wind..

Time to get rid of the blue blanket Simon ???

The Avanti flies well off grass and in the wind, you do not NEED safe or a gyro to fly the Avanti but what you do need is air time. Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post

SAFE is for sissies. ....
                  Comments like that are not helpful and say more about the writer than about people who choose to use SAFE.

Comment

Comments like that are not helpful and say more about the writer than about people who choose to use SAFE.
                    I'm a purist. What did everyone do before SAFE? You flew by the seat of your pants. Simplicity is best. If one wants to use electronic flight management, great. Many people turn it off! You are an RC Sage. I give you that. You properly forewarned the dude that he wouldn't be flying anything to it's full potential with all the SAFE features enabled...You did the right Zen thing by teaching a grasshopper about flight!...😜

Comment

I'm a purist.
                      So you only drive stick shift cars with crash gearboxes, no power steering nor power brakes, right?

Comment

• I've divorce wives because they are hard headed and argumentative...

Comment

So you only drive stick shift cars with crash gearboxes, no power steering nor power brakes, right?
                          Not anymore. My knees were killing me from all the clutching and braking. There are very few standard transmissions available anyway. They were fun while they lasted. SAFE stands for: Stay Away From Electronics!...Seriously, would you rely on an autonomous vehicle? I think the less points of failure in the RC signal path the better. That was my original point....

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            I've divorce wives because they are hard headed and argumentative...
                            You need to check your spelling. I believe "divorced" is spelled with a "d" at the end . You stuck it at the end of your handle. Evan D...lol...

Comment

• Cool, you can be my spell check! Or grammar police.

Comment

That was my original point....
                                Your "point" did not require you to be insulting and offensive.

Comment

• We all have different types of humor, I didn't take his post as insulting or offensive.

Both of you do have a point though. Do we drive our cars for enjoyment or to safely get from point A to B. My Corvette and your Brit mobile (honestly forget what model it is, older MG?) are in our garages because we simply enjoy the drive. Many people look at cars as a utilitarian devise (many would like them outlawed) and want all the aids they can get on them.

I see gyros and safe the same way, some even see radios the same way and go back to the days of free flight and control line. Most R/C planes don't need any assist and I get more enjoyment from them with no assist. Some might have a waggle to the extent it bothers me and I'll put a gyro in to take care of it (sometimes I don't like in the case of my FPV Flight Line Bronco which has a bad waggle I live with). Think of them as a car that would be difficult to drive without power steering.

I don't have any planes except my Apprentice I use for training with SAFE. But I have seen where very experienced people at the field I fly at that have the FrSky version and have used it to save a plane they let get too far away and lost perspective. So while I many or may not use these "aids" I see their benefit and why some would want them. But I also think that people should ween themselves away from the controllers and not rely on them as a crutch once they develop the skills to fly without them.

Comment

• It's a hobby, fly however and whatever you want as long as you aren't hurting people or damaging property. I bet "some" people even use mixing. LOL If I can't fly a particular aircraft without mixing, gyros and auto this and that, then I need to learn how or get rid of it for something that is designed properly. I admit that I do like a gyro on the tail rotor of helicopters. Some aircraft are garbage, but some people like the challenge!

Comment

• I used to believe that safe is for sissies. But lets be honest, a lot of people probably would not be flying if it were not for safe. It has a place in this hobby, and I would not call them sissies (well not anymore).

I consider myself a purist, been brought up the older way of crashing planes and learning to fly without assistance. I don't use expo (crash everytime I try to use it), and I don't have any mixes in my planes (personal reasons).Long story short regarding mixes, judging a pattern meet guys would get really mad at me because I could see their planes making corrections (because of the mixes added) and I would deduct for them. The key is to not let me see them so blatantly. Smoother flying means less deductions.

I have been warming up to using gyro receivers, not quite there yet but I am considering it. I know an rc pilot (who is considered one of the best to have ever flown, earlier in his life). I was talking to him at a funfly event we had this past weekend. He told me that after all his years of flying to improve his skills, he does not believe he will ever fly without a gyro. It makes the experience much more enjoyable (he is at the stage of his life where he flies for enjoyment, not competition). He said that you can call him a wimp all you want (that will never happen, he can still lay it down with the best if he wanted to).

Now if he says that, then who am I to talk?

But I will say this, use safe to assist you, but don't let it prevent you from improving your skills.

Comment

• Any issues flying in colder weather? Besides cold fingers and the batteries? Say 30-45°F

Comment

• Originally posted by Lextek View Post
                                          Any issues flying in colder weather? Besides cold fingers and the batteries? Say 30-45°F
                                          I've flown in the 20's a few times . Frost on the grass runway with no problems . No issues with flight time as well

Comment

Working...
                                          X