Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To make more room in my car I take my AvantiS apart at the end of the day. To help protect the parts from dings and loss I made some protective bags from a Harbor Freight moving blanket. The wing bag has an inside pocket that holds the main wing rod and a magnetized screwdriver for assembly. I am not selling these but they are easy to make with an old high school sewing machine and some snaps or Velcro. The moving blankets are always on sale for $5.99.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpellicciotti View Post

You get 7 minutes on a 3300? I get about 3:45 on a 5000. What am I doing wrong?
      I know right? I get 2:30 on a 5000. If I want to cruise around I'll fly something else. IT'S A JET! Yes, I've pulled it back and gotten a little over 3 minutes on a 5000 but.....boring!

All of my 80mm EDFs I only get around 2:30 including the FW F-14.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpellicciotti View Post

You get 7 minutes on a 3300? I get about 3:45 on a 5000. What am I doing wrong?
        I'm just guessing here but I'm thinking the 5000 is just to heavy. the extra weight you're carrying make you use more throttle and it just kills your battery. my setup is so light I can get 9 mins if I want to just putt around at 35 MPH :Silly: Kenny

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

I know right? I get 2:30 on a 5000. If I want to cruise around I'll fly something else. IT'S A JET! Yes, I've pulled it back and gotten a little over 3 minutes on a 5000 but.....boring!

All of my 80mm EDFs I only get around 2:30 including the FW F-14.
          Yep I totally get what you are saying and we all have different tastes. For me I just hate the idea of spending $300 for a plane and $100 for a battery per flight to only fly for 2 1/2 min. I got these 3300 batteries for $35 each to use in my other war birds and they work just fine there. After watching the promo Videos I could tell I could use these batteries with a low throttle setting and get away with it. I was thinking 5 min but after a couple of flights getting 6-8 min I knew I had a winner. For me the difference between 70+ MPH to 100 MPH is not worth the 2 1/2 min flight time to the 7 min I'm getting. I do plan to get a 3300 60C battery for when I'm feeling a little froggy and want to open her up a little more. ;):) Kenny

Comment

• Originally posted by HANGER FIFTYONE View Post

I'm just guessing here but I'm thinking the 5000 is just to heavy. the extra weight you're carrying make you use more throttle and it just kills your battery. my setup is so light I can get 9 mins if I want to just putt around at 35 MPH :Silly: Kenny
            The difference in weight between your typical 5000mah, 6s and a typical 3300mah, 6s is just over 4-1/2 oz. or 240 grams. The flying weight of this plane with the recommended 5000mah battery is around 2600 grams or 92 oz. I somehow doubt that lightening this plane by 4-1/2 oz is going to nearly 2.5x the flying time. It would take a lot of "floaty" flying to get that kind of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
              The difference in weight between your typical 5000mah, 6s and a typical 3300mah, 6s is just over 4-1/2 oz. or 240 grams. The flying weight of this plane with the recommended 5000mah battery is around 2600 grams or 92 oz. I somehow doubt that lightening this plane by 4-1/2 oz is going to nearly 2.5x the flying time. It would take a lot of "floaty" flying to get that kind of time.
              OK then what's my secret if it's not the weight? I see the same thing with my war birds; bigger battery does not always equal longer flight time.

Comment

• The Avanti actually carries a little extra weight with no problems that I can see. I used it for breaking in the Gens Ave 5500 45c packs for the A-10 and have even ran the 5500 60c with no problems. The 60c packs do hurt the vertical acceleration a little but add to the carried energy and I get 4 minutes on either landing with them at or slightly above 3.8 per cell and less than 110 degrees. The plane is designed to be a performer but not so much a speed freak. It's a it's best doing multiple small loops in the same spot or a huge one with full throttle on the up line, It's also a blast for coming in about 6' off the deck rolling it on it's side and doing a knife edge climb out (throttle needed for this one). When you get right down to it, it's not a lot faster at full throttle (flat and level) than it is at a little over half. The only time mine sees full throttle is take off and when going vertical. Using the left stick judiciously is where the good flight times come in. Throttle up going up and drop it back when coming downhill. At the bottom of a downhill coasting run it is still capable of doing a full 75 to 100 foot loop with the throttle closed.
                It's a lot of fun to fly regardless of how you fly it and I like getting a little longer flight time per battery. Biggest down side is now it has to share batteries with the A-10 ;)
                My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Two maidens in one evening on two incredible planes... Been waiting on the wind to cooperate and tonight we had 9 to 15 mph right down the runway...
                  I put 2 flights on the Avanti, flys like it is on rails, just like you heard in previous posts...
                  I flew the A-10 once as the field was getting crowded and I had a nose wheel gear door came out of the slot and would not close again after the nose wheel was down. I put it back in the slot, but I want to look into this before I fly again...
                  The landings on both planes were great, The Avanti the best... The A-10 I was a little up and down on landing. Maybe a little nervous after reading about all the hard bounces. But with a little throttle management and a light finger on the elevator we greased her in with a little nose high attitude...
                  Both planes are awesome, fly fantastic...
                  Anyone looking for a Stinger 90...

Comment

• Hey Hangar 51, where in Springhill do you fly. I'm always up there visiting my daughter and grandkids and hope to be up there July 1st through the 3rd. I am bringing something to fly and was going to go to the club at the Centex plant property, but if your place is closer, all the better. She lives off of Springhill drive and west of Mariner. And for the question of the lights, I took the whole board off of the wings since running the extensions gets a bit crowded in the channel. I could have left the strobe lights on the panel and powered it, but the wing tip lights run off the ribbon wire and go to a voltage reduction circuit on the ICM. You can tell the difference from using the module and not in how bright the LEDs glow. Don't want to burn them out since I don't really know how much voltage they are rated at. The module and ribbon connectors are the way to go in saving space, but at this time I don't trust them.

Comment

• Originally posted by HANGER FIFTYONE View Post

OK then what's my secret if it's not the weight? I see the same thing with my war birds; bigger battery does not always equal longer flight time.
                      You fly like a little old lady driving to church on Sunday? You already admitted it yourself. You barely fly 1/2 throttle most of the time. That's your choice and your "secret". It's not a secret I care to know about or practice. I buy sportjets to fly the bag off them. If I wanted to just float around, I have my sailplanes for that or I'd buy a little Cub. Sailplanes, I can fly for hours on a single battery.
                      If you think 4-1/2 oz makes that much difference in flight time, try borrowing a 5000mah battery once and fly it the same way and see how long you get. 4-1/2 oz in a 92 oz plane is nothing.

Comment

• FREEWING AVANTI S JET

SUMMARY: In a word, WOW! Best foam EDF sport jet to date. They paid attention to the modelers. The list of features is fantastic. Finally sport jet landing gear with large wheels. It looks better in person. The size is perfect. Not too big, not too small.

ASSEMBLY: Not perfect but a very good value! I am second batch. I will most likely buy another in the future.
                        THE GOOD: Very easy to assemble. Close, solid fitting parts. Multiconnector with cable for wings. Not like HSD (and now V2) that does not allow for tiny movement and misalignment. Inspection window is icing on the cake. Carbon spar is far better than aluminum. Double front gear doors look better and hang down half as far so as not to catch the grass on bad landings. I thought the nose cone was silly and now think all models should be this way!
                        THE BAD: Ball joints a bit sloppy. Front gear sloppy. This has been addressed in previous posts and does not cause bad tracking. Front gear doors misalign when closed. I did not correct.

FLYING: Awesome! Looks good, sounds good, flys good. No trim needed. I was afraid of flaps due to past crashing experience with other models so did not use them for the first 6 flights. Second landing I did a bit of a "Bronco" landing. Fourth I knocked the nose off and bent the right landing gear sideways. No Bronco, came in too hard and compressed the gear all the way down. Had a tail cross wind. DOH! Flight seven I reluctantly tried flaps on a slider switch with a touch of power. Wow, what an awesome flying machine! It floated in smooooth. The only bad thing I found is that the left flap stayed down after landing. Lowering the right flap and raising the flaps again made it work. No delay used, direct control with a slider switch. Using an awesome Castle receiver. I think it is a servo problem. Yikes!

I used two 5000mAh 30C packs about 1/8" from the back end of the tray and one 5800mAh 30C (I think it is fake, it is only about 1 ounce heavier.) at the back of the tray with an extra strap added. I also added an arrow shaft through the fuselage with stiff foam in front of the pack as a crash bumper. I used full throttle for takeoff and 2 rounds (3 on the "5800") then half throttle to cruise until 2 min 30 sec. Takeoff to landing and throttle off was 3 min with around 3.78V per cell left. Battery a little warm. I think I seen on YouTube that someone said they used a 7200mAh pack with no problems.

NOTES:
                        Remember that the higher the mAh you use, the lower the C that is needed and the lower the mAh you use, the higher the C that is needed. The higher the mAh and the higher the C, the higher the weight.

Too bad the battery makers lie so much about their ratings. 5000mAh at 30C is 150A for a 100A ESC. IF the motor pulled 100A continuously, a 5000mAh pack would go from full to completely dead (3.0V per cell?) in exactly 3 minutes. A 3300mAh battery would need to be 45C to be close to the same rate. At 100A it would go from full to completely dead in 1.98 minutes. To run 7 minutes with a 3300mAh battery you would need to AVERAGE 28.28A.

Comment

• ADD-ON I used full rate elevator and rudder. I used low rate aileron with 50% expo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosytime View Post
                            Hey Hangar 51, where in Springhill do you fly. I'm always up there visiting my daughter and grandkids and hope to be up there July 1st through the 3rd. I am bringing something to fly and was going to go to the club at the Centex plant property, but if your place is closer, all the better. She lives off of Springhill drive and west of Mariner. And for the question of the lights, I took the whole board off of the wings since running the extensions gets a bit crowded in the channel. I could have left the strobe lights on the panel and powered it, but the wing tip lights run off the ribbon wire and go to a voltage reduction circuit on the ICM. You can tell the difference from using the module and not in how bright the LEDs glow. Don't want to burn them out since I don't really know how much voltage they are rated at. The module and ribbon connectors are the way to go in saving space, but at this time I don't trust them.
                            Wow Rosy you are very close to where we fly; south on Mariner past County Line right on Denton left on Kitten Trail Right on Dennis Dr. Google Earth shows are FPV course cut in the grass kind of a U shape in the field. I would be happy to take you flying :f4phantom when you're here. :Cool: Kenny

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                              You fly like a little old lady driving to church on Sunday? You already admitted it yourself. You barely fly 1/2 throttle most of the time. That's your choice and your "secret". It's not a secret I care to know about or practice. I buy sportjets to fly the bag off them. If I wanted to just float around, I have my sailplanes for that or I'd buy a little Cub. Sailplanes, I can fly for hours on a single battery.
                              If you think 4-1/2 oz makes that much difference in flight time, try borrowing a 5000mah battery once and fly it the same way and see how long you get. 4-1/2 oz in a 92 oz plane is nothing.
                              I like to fly the Avanti at about 3/4 throttle after takeoff, any slower than that makes me sleepy. I set my throttle activated timer at 3:15.

Comment

• Spring on nose doors:
                                Has anyone looked at the open springs on the nose doors? If the doors pop off during a not so perfect landing, the spring goes flying instead of the plane. Since you have to order the complete door set for those springs, a homebrew spring seems to be needed when one or both may come up missing.
                                Looking for ideas and suggestions.

Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron lake View Post

I like to fly the Avanti at about 3/4 throttle after takeoff, any slower than that makes me sleepy. I set my throttle activated timer at 3:15.
                                  I'm like you in the way I fly this plane. I think my timer is set at 3:30. I use a couple of "newish" 5000mah, Gens Ace batteries. They come down with plenty left so gradually, I'm developing the confidence to increase the time by a 1/2 minute at a time.
                                  We've all seen and know from personal experience that this plane can be flown at very low throttle settings and just lope it along for the whole flight if so desired. Additionally, I think that battery consumption goes up exponentially as throttle input goes up arithmetically, especially on EDF planes. And also like you, I didn't buy this plane to see how long a flight time I can get out of it. I prefer to go home to take my naps.

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                                    Spring on nose doors:
                                    Has anyone looked at the open springs on the nose doors? If the doors pop off during a not so perfect landing, the spring goes flying instead of the plane. Since you have to order the complete door set for those springs, a homebrew spring seems to be needed when one or both may come up missing.
                                    Looking for ideas and suggestions.

Sam
                                    This happened to mine when it went off the runway and a corn stalk took one of the gear doors off. Amazingly the tabs didn't break, but of course the spring was no where to be found. I simply found a small coil spring and cut a length off of it, then used needle nose pliers to bend it into the shape of the stock spring. It's not pretty, but it works fine and really only took about 10 minutes.

Comment

• I just want to say that I love this jet! I fly it hard and land between 3 and 3.5 min and have 25-30% battery left every time (5200's 50C). Next step, TURBINE!

Comment

• Originally posted by JZA80 View Post
                                        Hello from Switzerland
                                        I got my Avanti since Last Friday and i Love her!!
                                        here some Pics of this amazing Bird.
                                        Hello what color is a spray booth at Avanti? And is it sprayed from inside or out? Thanks

Comment

• Here is a video of mine with a few silly sound effects, I love doing flips with this sweet jet!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X