• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GG, I will probably cover that next week if weather permits
    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

I'm using Socokin 6s 6000's that I got from Amazon. Still listed at $66 each for Prime members.

https://www.amazon.com/Socokin-Batte...1421827&sr=8-2
      How do you like them, and how do they compare to some of your others? I have a set coming today. I figured why not since they are so cheap and seem very similar in C rating and weight to the HRB's, while being even cheaper. I'm going to run them on the Mig tonight and see how they do vs the HRB and spektrums.

Comment

• Originally posted by T- Elbert View Post
        I got in two flights on the new mig 29 this weekend. Using HRB 5000’s and a 1 1/2 ounce of nose weight. Both flights went very well although I will remove a half an ounce of weight for the next flight. I did not notice any negative tendencies but I have not really rung it out hard yet.
        I do like the size and large wheels. Very happy with it.
        Here’s a video of your second flight.

Comment

• Received shipping notice too... woohooo! :D

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
          We’re not sure what is causing the crashes.
          Suspects are related to:
          -air flow over wing / tail
          -CG location
          -receiver/receiver placement
          -satellites / satellite placements
          -RF noise coupling into receivers from ESCs
          -various pilot (world wide) experience levels (sorry guys...not a slap)
          -AoA on final / airspeed
          -control box malfunctions
          -flap deflection amounts
          -control set-ups...not by the book
          -missiles on / off
          -other yet unidentified....

Too early to tell. Nothing can be judged as the cause at this point.
          Add: Power distribution issues / UBECs not being able to cope

Originally posted by janmb View Post

You are going to be sadly disappointed 😂 Engineers don't stop being engineers just because we get to fly the damn thing 🤣
          Indeed!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
            OK gents, decals for the missiles are now available for order (had to get a new printer as the old one was damaging the paper). The cost for the decals will be $20 shipped to the continental US (if you live outside the US lower 48 states, please contact me for the total with shipping). I take PayPal and prefer the no fees option (if you want buyer protection, please send $21). The decals will include full sets for 2x R-27 missiles, 4x R-73 missiles, and the flare dispensers and radiation warning symbols. Detailed pics of decal placement and application instructions will be included.

PM me with your order and include your full mailing address if using the PP no fees option, and I will include my PP address. This will be sent in a full size envelope via USPS.
            A total of 16 sets of decals have gone out, and I have plenty more available. For those of you getting your shipping notices in Europe, shipping for the decals is fairly cheap (sent one to Switzerland for less than US $3). Let me know if you need any.
            Pat

Comment

• Had a shipping notice today in the UK will be with me on Thursday seems like forever waiting. James was right in early October.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                A total of 16 sets of decals have gone out, and I have plenty more available. For those of you getting your shipping notices in Europe, shipping for the decals is fairly cheap (sent one to Switzerland for less than US $3). Let me know if you need any.
                I'll happily take a set of you care to ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

I'll happily take a set of you care to ship.
                  PM me your shipping info and I'll reply with PayPal instructions.
                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post

How do you like them, and how do they compare to some of your others? I have a set coming today. I figured why not since they are so cheap and seem very similar in C rating and weight to the HRB's, while being even cheaper. I'm going to run them on the Mig tonight and see how they do vs the HRB and spektrums.
                    They are OK for the price. I flew today...two flights with the 6000 Socokins and two with 4400 Roaring Tops. Timer set for 3:00 and all batteries located the same...rear and center. Socokins are 5.5 oz heavier each than the RTs. You would think that 11 oz (~300 gm) would make a big difference, but I didn't see it. The lighter RTs do takeoff and climb quicker than the heavier ones. The flight characteristics aren't all that different as would be expected considering that the gross weight only changes by about 5%. Can't tell any difference in the landings.

After a 3:00 flight, landing pattern, and taxi in the 4400 were down to 15% capacity and the 6000s at 30%.

Given that a 4400 RT is close to $100 and the 6000 Socokin is about $66 I would say they are a good value. Too early to tell how they will hold up over time.

Comment

• I want to thank motion on a job well done, incredible service in the time of covid 19, you email me October 5 of my shipping October 6 it’s at my doorstep, Good job FedEx the box had a few dents and dings, the incredible packaging did it’s job. Motion RC, Thanks again for standing behind what you do! The mig29 looks great, the only thing I would have like to see is leading edge protection. Other than that Great job. Thanks Alpha.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                        Click image for larger version Name:	31DC0FAC-5319-414F-B82F-96803317D19A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	279050

Sorry - Missed seeing your question. See photo....may be 2mm vs 1 mm.

Absolutely no pitch change with speed changes.

Aileron is flush with the outer trailing edge of the wing. Others have adjusted the ailerons to match the flap. I may also. But it flies so nicely like it is.

Note: It is a result of one flap push rod being slightly too long. Adjustment of the ball link was maxed out. I decided to leave it and made the other flap match. Full scale sailplanes use negative flap, so I wasn’t concerned. I didn’t want to mess with modifying the push rod. Visually, for display, I can always add a touch of transmitter vernier knob positive flap input.

-GG
                        Thx GG I’m going to try that on mine.

Comment

No problem. A very small amount of foam removal allows for a better fit. Dab on some oily make-up on the battery corners and put the lid on to see where to trim (lip stick, etc.).

Suggest you use the RF chokes (search this forum for “ferrite”). Lots of discussion about these.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	3739619E-55CB-4026-A42C-7E31BFFFCDC4.jpeg Views:	151 Size:	24.2 KB ID:	278990Click image for larger version  Name:	4045C9B6-ABA3-46DA-9228-03E405A0669B.jpeg Views:	147 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	278991Click image for larger version  Name:	C161AA68-9220-4CB6-A358-46698929434A.jpeg Views:	139 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	278992
                          Wow thats much father back on the front battery than mine with exact same batteries. Is the front battery in line with the edge of the top tray at the front ? Mine is 1.25” forward of the tray edge.

Comment

• Reaper911 - I sat the Admiral Pro 6000 on the middle bay. The front edge of the battery exactly lines up with the front edge of the wooden tray. The rear of the middle battery is as far back as I can get it....blocked by the BB.

With missiles on, gear down, and the lid on....it exactly stays level when lifted on the CG marks with the batteries in their location.

This CG condition suites my flying style. I am happy with it.

Let me know if you like cruising around with negative flap. Inverted I must add just a touch of forward stick...but not much at all.

Pretty day today / Left work a bit early and got to enjoy the 7 to 9 mph light wind conditions. Flight totals:

- 8 MiG
                            - 4 F-4
                            - 5 P-38
                            - 0 AL37....no room in the truck. She sat at home pouting.

A good afternoon’s worth of enjoyment. At 4 min on the MiG, I am consistently using 3800 to 4100 mAh of the 6000 mAh capacity and post flight is 3.7 V to 3.8 V. I like to keep a reserve for go-arounds. And, longer flights mean a longer charge time + shorter battery service life. I treat my batteries conservatively to extend their life.

If you didn’t already order Pat’s decal set, the decals add a nice touch.

-GG

Comment

• Thats pretty much aligned with where my packs ended up with similar amounts of foam removed from the underside of the canopy. Balancing on the marks underside the wing. I dont know how the guys that are claiming the book CG is 'hilariously' nose heavy are getting CG much further back because you're running up against physical space limitations pretty quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                                Thats pretty much aligned with where my packs ended up with similar amounts of foam removed from the underside of the canopy. Balancing on the marks underside the wing. I dont know how the guys that are claiming the book CG is 'hilariously' nose heavy are getting CG much further back because you're running up against physical space limitations pretty quick.
                                Ummmm....lighter batteries is the only way I can see.

-GG

Comment

Ummmm....lighter batteries is the only way I can see.

-GG
                                  AFTERBURNERS!! I have to hang almost half of my front battery off the middle mount to balance mine. RT 5800s 35C and Nano-Tech 5000s 45-90C. The rear battery is backed against the rear wall. This gets me about 10 cm behind the factory CG marks. I like the way it flies there. If I line up the battery at the front of the middle tray mine is about 25mm behind the CG marks. On flight number 7 I accidentally installed the battery like that and it was a spooky flight. I was able to land it fast with no flaps but with the gear down it was very pitch sensitive. I'm more careful now. ;-)

Comment

Reaper911 - I sat the Admiral Pro 6000 on the middle bay. The front edge of the battery exactly lines up with the front edge of the wooden tray. The rear of the middle battery is as far back as I can get it....blocked by the BB.

With missiles on, gear down, and the lid on....it exactly stays level when lifted on the CG marks with the batteries in their location.

This CG condition suites my flying style. I am happy with it.

Let me know if you like cruising around with negative flap. Inverted I must add just a touch of forward stick...but not much at all.

Pretty day today / Left work a bit early and got to enjoy the 7 to 9 mph light wind conditions. Flight totals:

- 8 MiG
                                    - 4 F-4
                                    - 5 P-38
                                    - 0 AL37....no room in the truck. She sat at home pouting.

A good afternoon’s worth of enjoyment. At 4 min on the MiG, I am consistently using 3800 to 4100 mAh of the 6000 mAh capacity and post flight is 3.7 V to 3.8 V. I like to keep a reserve for go-arounds. And, longer flights mean a longer charge time + shorter battery service life. I treat my batteries conservatively to extend their life.

If you didn’t already order Pat’s decal set, the decals add a nice touch.

-GG
                                    You left work early and logged 17 flights this afternoon!!
                                    Just curious, how many flights are you getting on your packs before you have to toss them. I have several packs I bought in 2017 and they are still going strong with no puffing but I don't put near as many flights in as you. I never recharge at the field so I am limited to 5-10 flights per trip max depending on which planes I take.

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

You left work early and logged 17 flights this afternoon!!
                                      Just curious, how many flights are you getting on your packs before you have to toss them. I have several packs I bought in 2017 and they are still going strong with no puffing but I don't put near as many flights in as you. I never recharge at the field so I am limited to 5-10 flights per trip max depending on which planes I take.
                                      Being able to recharge at the field is a key factor for good battery health, at least in my case. Obviously not everyone has that option, but it is a huge bonus if you can do that. 1: Avoid charging batteries at home that you end up not using, 2: Immediately storage charge used batteries before going home. (I typically make the last flight a touch short so don't have to recharge that pack before heading home)

Comment

• Off topic, but you asked....

As much as I fly, battery charge/discharge cycles are the limiting factor before I toss them. LiPos typically only give 200 to 300 FULL charge/discharge cycles from literature I read (3.3 V to 4.2 V = full cycle) before they die.

Extending the number of cycles is a must. The P-38 is EASY on batteries (twin batteries). The AL37 and F-4 are HARD on batteries (single battery). The MiG, if flown at 1/2 throttle, is pretty easy on batteries. BUT not many will fly the MiG that way. 4.5 min on 2500 mAh per battery was a good average when I was flying the MiG CAREFULLY waiting for the upgrade servos to arrive. Post flight 3.8V to 3.9V. Now...3800 mAh to 4200 mAh at 4 min post servo upgrade. Post flight 3.7V to 3.8V. Still conservative usage....but a good flight time, extending cycle count, and 55 to 60 min charge time. AND if observers show up to watch....I can push it hard for 4 min and not worry.

A 3X to 4X cycle count is a goal. If I don’t get at least 900 cycles, it gets expensive. But still cheaper than playing golf! I have seen Admiral 3000 packs used for the P-38 go 5X typical. 5 min flights consuming 1300 to 1500 mAh on average.

Studying the literature, here are the best practices offered on the Internet to extend cycle count:
                                        - Leave 40% in the tank...consume no more than 60% capacity (don’t laugh)
                                        - Avoid discharging to 3.3V
                                        - Don’t charge at lower than 50F
                                        - Warm before flight at lower than 50F to avoid cracking the cathode material
                                        - Don’t leave sitting around with more than 3.8V per cell
                                        - Best storage value is 3.7V to 3.8V per cell
                                        - Minimize the time sitting at full charge....although one really good study showed minimal impact on battery life by leaving fully charged and stored that way
                                        - Increase the C value if the battery gets much warmer than warm bath water during a flight. HEAT IS A KILLER of the number of cycles a battery will give
                                        - If your charger supports it, don’t charge beyond 4.1 V. My chargers don’t support this type control
                                        - Charge at the C rating or less. LOL - With a 25V pack at 6 amps, that’s a 150W charger. Hard to find chargers that support more than 100W per battery. Thus, for a 100W charger, you see in the range of 4.1A to 4.5A initial current for a 6S pack = about a 1 hour charge time After a flight
                                        - Don’t leave batteries in a hot car HEAT is a KILLER
                                        -Don’t charge in direct sunlight (heat thing)
                                        -Not necessary to cool before charging
                                        - Buy quality batteries
                                        - CAUTION- Batteries left in storage for a long time should be periodically recharged back to 3.8 V
                                        - Ok to fly connected in parallel HOWEVER do not charge while connected in parallel

Infrequent fliers can drive hard and toss a pack when it begins to puff. Driving hard will limit the life more to the 200 to 300 cycle life or less.

For the curious....I run 3 chargers and 16 batteries (10 6000 and 6 3000) for the birds. EDF flights first then the P-38. Last P-38 flight....First EDF pack is ready to go again. I MUST extend cycle counts with this number of batteries. So I treat them nicely. Each charger charges 4 at a time (EV Peak CQ3 brand).

Max # in a day = 40 flights with nature breaks and lunch AND rest breaks. You start to get STUPID after a while on the stick. I do this number rarely. Typically, I run through 2 sets and done = 18 flights when MiG is with me and 26 when I take the AL37.

My RC flying is not at a club. Clubs are awesome. I am a member of a soaring club.

-GG

Comment

• GG, you are a Beast! I flew five flights on the Mig yesterday and was more than ready to call it a day. Staying fully focused during each flight wears me out as much as physical effort.

Comment

Working...
                                          X