Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC ML I do like your CG scale set up.

406PIlot Good call on the servo choice.

djmoose The lion in the cockpit would be fun.

Comment

• The gear are pretty heavy. Where are they compared to your desired CG?

Originally posted by RC ML View Post
      Next problem , make the cg thru extra weight or thru extra batteries .
      I measured both .
      No landing gear mounted . (not possible to measure , practical issues.)
      With extra weight cg 111,9 mm total wit = 10358 gr

Comment

• Complete assembled with landing gear i came on 107 cg (included +-600gr weight)

Tomorrow i have to play some more with that weight and position of the batteries to get it right

Comment

• The Gilmore just got delivered. I'll be unpacking things later this afternoon / this evening. Servo's & Engine have shipped out as well. Hopefully those will be in next week. Things will start going together very soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by RC ML View Post
            Blisters attached . The red lines correspondent not with all the planes . So here is some cutting and shaving to do. but the end result is ok for me.
            Good enough for gummint work!

Comment

• Regarding the Saito 90, Ray English, recognized Saito guru (I got mine from him after his modifications) suggests 24X12. It's a heavy engine. Would love to see someone's setup "under the hood" to see where/how they mounted batteries to get CG balance correct. Think there's enough room for a smoke tank?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                Regarding the Saito 90, Ray English, recognized Saito guru (I got mine from him after his modifications) suggests 24X12. It's a heavy engine. Would love to see someone's setup "under the hood" to see where/how they mounted batteries to get CG balance correct. Think there's enough room for a smoke tank?
                There is a ton of room in the cowl and fuse. I'm planning on running a 24x10 to start with.

Here a few quick pics I just took for ya.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210326_153737708.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	305920

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210326_133116042.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	305921

Comment

• Unboxing video with the first of my footage from the Crawford Auto & Aviation Museum! Enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	snap1.png Views:	0 Size:	801.3 KB ID:	305987Click image for larger version  Name:	snap2.png Views:	0 Size:	850.5 KB ID:	305990Click image for larger version  Name:	snap3.png Views:	0 Size:	858.4 KB ID:	305988Click image for larger version  Name:	snap4.png Views:	0 Size:	819.1 KB ID:	305992Click image for larger version  Name:	snap5.png Views:	0 Size:	762.4 KB ID:	305993Click image for larger version  Name:	snap6.png Views:	0 Size:	751.5 KB ID:	305991Click image for larger version  Name:	snap7.png Views:	0 Size:	766.6 KB ID:	305989Click image for larger version  Name:	snap8.png Views:	0 Size:	886.2 KB ID:	305994Click image for larger version  Name:	snap9.png Views:	0 Size:	672.5 KB ID:	305986

Comment

• djmoose Great job on the video!

The covering is self adhesive. It will tighten up with heat and will likely need some after its first time in the sun. Mine did.

The best way to tighten, if needed, is to use a heat iron with a sock on it. Set the iron temp accurately between 210 and 230 degrees F. Too much heat will "over shrink" the covering causing it to distort and misalign with the printed pattern. If shrinking over a sheeted area, press the covering to the wood after applying the heat. this will ensure the covering is adhered to the wood.

There are other Wedell-Williams model 44s out there. They are however, replicas. I suspect that this ARF is modeled after the Gilmore Red Lion replica that is in the Wedell-Williams Museum. That might explain why this ARF has the blisters when the actual Red Lion didn't at the time. https://louisianastatemuseum.org/mus...sawmill-museum

Comment

• Thanks for the info on the covering! Does anyone know what it's actually called? How did you arrive at your temperature values? Trial and error?

Yes! Fully aware of all of replica/blister info as we've discussed earlier in the thread. I saved all the specific details for the "Cowl" episode of the series.

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                      djmoose Great job on the video!

The covering is self adhesive. It will tighten up with heat and will likely need some after its first time in the sun. Mine did.

The best way to tighten, if needed, is to use a heat iron with a sock on it. Set the iron temp accurately between 210 and 230 degrees F. Too much heat will "over shrink" the covering causing it to distort and misalign with the printed pattern. If shrinking over a sheeted area, press the covering to the wood after applying the heat. this will ensure the covering is adhered to the wood.

There are other Wedell-Williams model 44s out there. They are however, replicas. I suspect that this ARF is modeled after the Gilmore Red Lion replica that is in the Wedell-Williams Museum. That might explain why this ARF has the blisters when the actual Red Lion didn't at the time. https://louisianastatemuseum.org/mus...sawmill-museum

Comment

• djmoose My model came with about a 6" x 10" piece of extra covering material. It allowed me to experiment with the covering on both sheeted and open framing. I set up a small test platform. I used a good covering iron and an IR thermometer to determine the best temp range.

That's how I found out that too much heat, or heated for too long goes from good to ugly really fast LOL..

Comment

• Great info! I'll say this again, your info on this plane is the main reason I pulled the trigger. Thank You!

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                          djmoose My model came with about a 6" x 10" piece of extra covering material. It allowed me to experiment with the covering on both sheeted and open framing. I set up a small test platform. I used a good covering iron and an IR thermometer to determine the best temp range.

That's how I found out that too much heat, or heated for too long goes from good to ugly really fast LOL..

Comment

• Glad that the info has been helpful.

Comment

• Ailerons now installed. The pre-drilled holes were nice, but maybe a scoche too wide. Really needed to coat the pockets with epoxy, and be sure to twist the hinges to get an even coating. Hopefully I did a good job. Thanks again to twowingtj for posting that video.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210328_133010.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	306170
                              Attached Files

Comment

• It's nice to see all of these Gilmores going together! Thanks for sharing your progress guys.

Comment

• [QUOTE=RCBobP;n306168]Ailerons now installed. The pre-drilled holes were nice, but maybe a scoche too wide. Really needed to coat the pockets with epoxy, and be sure to twist the hinges to get an even coating. Hopefully I did a good job. Thanks again to twowingtj for posting that video.

I noticed the same thing about the pre-dilled holes on the ailerons! I actually got my ailerons / hinges epoxied in last night. Did you check to make sure you had all the hardware? Mine was missing the screws for the servo covers. Not a huge deal I have some that will work with no issues, but I was a little disappointed they just flat out forgot to add those in.

Comment

• Keep looking! There were several items I thought were missing, but I dug deeper into the box, or looked in some of the other boxes and found them. I can't say for sure that your delivery was complete, I only know that I had to keep "taking inventory" and looking to be sure I had what I needed. Now my hold up is finding the right servo arms. I bought JR 8411 servos, but they come with arms that are only 10 mm at the longest. I have longer servo arms, but they won't fit the JR spindle.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                      KNow my hold up is finding the right servo arms. I bought JR 8411 servos, but they come with arms that are only 10 mm at the longest. I have longer servo arms, but they won't fit the JR spindle.
                                      wow, you're stuck with that little 4 way arm? 10mm is super small! The 8411 doesn't come with any other arms?

Either way, shouldn't be tough to find some arms: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-8-pack-dub674

Comment

• I wouldn't trust a plastic servo arm on a plane this size. But maybe that's just me. Good servo & bad servo arm just seems like a waist and potential point of failure. Everyone should build to the way they want or how they think is right. I'm just tossing in my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by djmoose View Post

wow, you're stuck with that little 4 way arm? 10mm is super small! The 8411 doesn't come with any other arms?

Either way, shouldn't be tough to find some arms: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-8-pack-dub674
                                          JR has plenty of arms for their servos. It’s just another delay having to wait for replacements. 😆

Comment

Working...
                                          X