Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet! Is it a kit? I'm purely an electric guy but a beauty like that I'd maybe change my way.

Comment

• The owner drew up his own plans and scratch built it. It's an impressive 40% scale.

Comment

• That's phenomenal!

Comment

• What are you folks doing about a wing bag? Any off-the-shelf products out there that will be a good size for these wings?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
            What are you folks doing about a wing bag? Any off-the-shelf products out there that will be a good size for these wings?
            I was looking into doing a custom.bag from revoc. But if there is something out there that is good or people are recommending I'd be interested as well.

Comment

• Well got out this afternoon for the maiden..... All went mostly well. Let's start by saying the manual high rate / control throws felt really sluggish. This could be just the airframe and how it's meant to fly, but to me aileron rolls, & elevator both felt really weak & sluggish with the book high rates. The book high rates were set as my "mid" rate. book low rates as my low rate & an increased high rate of about 30% as my high rates. The rudder felt right at home with the book high rate. No more or no less needed on the rudder, but the elevator & ailerons leaved something to be desired from the book rates. Short of the rates being a little light for my liking the maiden went great other wise. Having a new fg-90 to worry about being my first multi cylinder engine and this Gilmore being my biggest build since i started this hobby once past those nerves the maiden went just spectacular. Even with gobs of power from that fg-90 the Gilmore is a very scale flyer. Running at max 10% expo on my high rates the plane still felt very slow and predictable with any movement. My maiden flight went about 4min in total. Once i got it trimmed out I did just 2 or 3 laps then made 1-2 test approaches and set in for landing.

Here are some clips that a club member was nice enough to get with his cell phone and share with me.

Comment

• 406PIlot Congrats and well done! That radial sounds great!

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
                  Well got out this afternoon for the maiden..... All went mostly well. Let's start by saying the manual high rate / control throws felt really sluggish. This could be just the airframe and how it's meant to fly, but to me aileron rolls, & elevator both felt really weak & sluggish with the book high rates. The book high rates were set as my "mid" rate. book low rates as my low rate & an increased high rate of about 30% as my high rates. The rudder felt right at home with the book high rate. No more or no less needed on the rudder, but the elevator & ailerons leaved something to be desired from the book rates. Short of the rates being a little light for my liking the maiden went great other wise. Having a new fg-90 to worry about being my first multi cylinder engine and this Gilmore being my biggest build since i started this hobby once past those nerves the maiden went just spectacular. Even with gobs of power from that fg-90 the Gilmore is a very scale flyer. Running at max 10% expo on my high rates the plane still felt very slow and predictable with any movement. My maiden flight went about 4min in total. Once i got it trimmed out I did just 2 or 3 laps then made 1-2 test approaches and set in for landing.

Here are some clips that a club member was nice enough to get with his cell phone and share with me.

Engines sounds bang on perfect and looks up to the task of getting her around.

What is your final weight and what would you say about the behaviour in flight?

Thanks

DaleD

Comment

• DaleD Engine seems to be running good so far. I'll have to get back to you about the final weight I just don't have that number yet.

As far as flight behavior. It's hard for me to give a good characterization at this point. Only having the maiden flight to go off from which was a whole bag of nerves and trimming etc.... I would say it takes almost no power to pull it around in the air. The plane wants to fly. It's dossal. Don't expect any big hard snaps or anything of that nature. It handles well, but reacts slowly. It seems to be pretty predicable in it's response to input. That is about the best I can do only having 1 flight. When I get a few more flights and get my rates and everything really dialed into my preferences then I'll be better able to give a report how it's handling and general flight feeling are from my perspective.

One thing I can say for sure. I am setup nose heavy for my CG at 112mm and it was perfect! Thanks to everyone on the forums that figured that out. Book CG of 118mm would of been way to tail heavy.

Will say I'm super happy with this plane. No major issues on assembly or problems with parts etc. I think the FG-90r3 is a fantastic engine for this plane and would recommend it to anyone looking at a gas setup. AND THAT SOUND!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• 406PIlot OMG that engine sounds awesome! Great job!

Comment

• Originally posted by djmoose View Post
                        406PIlot OMG that engine sounds awesome! Great job!
                        Thank you. That saito radial has a sound like no other it's simply outstanding. The engine makes the plane so real it's crazy. I couldn't be any happier with the Red Lion Gilmore!!!

Comment

• I'll show you how to attach the landing gear and tail wheel in this episode. Also, a special bonus, I ordered the extra set of wheel pants from @MotionRC and there was a pleasant surprise of an extra spare piece I was not expecting. Check out the end of the video to see what it was!

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap1.png
Views:	440
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	309861Click image for larger version

Name:	snap2.png
Views:	446
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	309857Click image for larger version

Name:	snap3.png
Views:	424
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	309858Click image for larger version

Name:	snap4.png
Views:	435
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	309860Click image for larger version

Name:	snap5.png
Views:	418
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	309859

Comment

• According to the instructions, mine is now 95.8% complete. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_135606.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	310036Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_140104.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	310037
                            There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• WrightBrosRC 95% complete!!!!! Exciting when things really start coming together!! So close to that maiden!

Well the weather was nice today. I got out with the Gilmore and put 5 more solid flights on it. Now having a bit more flight time I can say the book high rate controls are pretty decent. This plane is just slow in it's movements to stick inputs regardless of the control throw / rates. It's just how this plane fly's. Now that I understand that it feels much better in the air. I was to used to EDF's and Extra 300 type air frames. This Gilmore is really easy to fly and it's fantastic in the air. It makes beautiful show passes and holds that "semi" knife edge really well. Just feed the plane up elevator at slow speeds and it holds it in the air until the control gets soft and mushy then it just gently starts to nose down. The stall is so predictable and easy to catch with this plane. Landing this plane isn't overly difficult now that I've figure out it can slow down a lot before it stalls. The FG-90 pulls this plane around with no problems, it has just tons of power. Honestly the FG-60 would of been plenty of power and speed for this plane. But who complains about MORE POWER!!!!!

I'm not sure how many other planes in my hangar are going to get flight time now HAHAHAHAH.

Here is a quick little fly-by clip of the Gilmore this afternoon

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
                                According to the instructions, mine is now 95.8% complete.
                                Yeah, I've never bought into that ARF nonsense. Maybe for trainers and foamies, and the like. To the purists I'll grant them, these are not build it yourself from a box of wood kits. But a lot of these kits that call themselves "almost ready to fly" still need 15-20 hours of work with some degree of skill. Now that I'm back north from my winter respite, I'm looking forward to getting back to business with my Gilmore!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCBobP View Post
                                  What are you folks doing about a wing bag? Any off-the-shelf products out there that will be a good size for these wings?
                                  I just ordered a custom double wing bag from REVOC. They are a bit pricey because of the shipping cost (Located in Poland). However they are worth every penny in quality, material, hands down the best out there.

Comment

• It's great to see all of these new Gilmores coming together and starting to take to the air.

The elevator servo swap on my Gilmore has been on hold while we've been setting up the new hangar/shop in the new house. It's about 90% there now. Then it's time to swap servos and get back to flying!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shop1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	310452Click image for larger version  Name:	Shop3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	310453Click image for larger version  Name:	Shop4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	310454Click image for larger version  Name:	Hagar1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	310455Click image for larger version  Name:	Hangar2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.7 KB ID:	310456Click image for larger version  Name:	Hangar3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	310457

Comment

• Such a nice shop / work area. Quite the collection of planes filling the hangar!!!!! I see the Gilmore standing in the corner.

Comment

• The cure to too many planes? More planes!

I see your Gilmore. Did your cowling come with the blisters as part of the cowl, or did you glue them on? From the photo you can't see any seams!

Comment

• 406PIlot Thanks.

RCBobP In my defense, about 1/3 of the planes belong to my wife, including the big Tiger Moth and the Pilatus Porter under construction. There's another area, not camera worthy, that has all of the wing bags and many more kits and ARFs waiting their turn.

My Gilmore cowl came with the blisters installed. Up close, the seams are visible.

Comment

Working...
                                          X