Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dustman, You could reverse engineer the marking by having Callie simply Cut and Assemble the Blue, Red, and Brown colors; Paint the Vertical Yellow and apply the marking. I did that for the Nose Art and Tail Flash on my Phantom. Time consuming, but the results are better than a full printed vertical decal. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post

This looks awesome. May I ask what reference pictures you used for applying the jolly Rodger scheme? That's the scheme I'm doing mine in but actually finding it quite difficult to find reliable images online to go by in order to get it correct.

Dont suppose you have a pic of directly above your model do you? The main bit I'm struggling with is where to start and finish the black around the canopy. And how far down to come on the sides.
      VFA-103 never flew Legacy Hornets. They went from Tomcats to Super Hornets - and they only fly the 2-seat F model, so there isn't necessarily a "correct" point of reference when translating the scheme to a single-seat Legacy Hornet. The best you can do is approximate based on the Super Hornet scheme. I would feel comfortable using the attached references.

Comment

• Hey All, I would like to pick up where others have left off with the design of a 3DP Cockpit. If anyone has good references, or OBJ Files and STL files already, please post those here or start another 3DP thread for this task. Additionally, if you willing to Create and Publish parts as well, Just Do It, as they say. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• F18 rippin https://youtu.be/EmUyEQX149U

Comment

• Originally posted by JazzmanB View Post
            Brilliant flying again. A lot of pilots could learn from your landings. Feels really good to watch flying I can't actually pick on lol.

To compensate I guess I shall have to bitch about the soloshot instead :D
            Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Installed the full metal gear servos for the elevators tonight. They are soooooo much better than those hybrid metal junk one. I didnt even get past setting up the throws on mine before the r/h one stopped. With power off I found it was locking and was hard to un jam it. No idea how but it appeared to strip a gear or jump a tooth or something. And this was proven when I installed the new servos with the push rods set exactly the same. The right hand side was up a good 5mm over the left hand side. And I know I set them both the same because I was really particular about it. This also explains why even when it was working the right hand one was moving on a completely different path to the left hand one. Now both move perfectly together. They also move way smoother. The hybrid metal gear ones I found were really juddery through their travel. These are buttery smooth.
              I'm starting to think these hybrid metal gear servos are a big part of why a few of these birds have gone down. I think the metal gear is just stripping the one nylon gear. When I get a chance I may take the servo apart to see if my theory is correct.

Anyways all good now thanks to Motion RC. Really hope they claim back all the warranty stuff from freewing. Personally I think freewing should have a recall on these hybrid metal servos because they are garbage.

Anyways go end on a positive I masked and painted up my vertical stabs tonight. Starting to make progress. I told myself I wouldn't paint it and put the decals on until I flew it but then I thought if I fly an all grey model I'm likely to get disorientanted and crash it anyway. So figured I might as well get it down. My faith in the model is completely restored now those full flying stab servos are swapped out.
              Next step will be to mask and paint the fuselage * canopy.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Brilliant flying again. A lot of pilots could learn from your landings. Feels really good to watch flying I can't actually pick on lol.

To compensate I guess I shall have to bitch about the soloshot instead :D
                Thx so much for the compliment. Really means alot. I try to fly from that spirtual place where im fully relaxed yet fully present and in Rytymm. Nothing too technical just try to create a realistic vibe that flows and is fun for people to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by JazzmanB View Post
                  Thx so much for the compliment. Really means alot. I try to fly from that spirtual place where im fully relaxed yet fully present and in Rytymm. Nothing too technical just try to create a realistic vibe that flows and is fun for people to watch.
                  Precisely!

No nervous pilot ever flies well - neither on a technical nor aesthetic level. Being relaxed, despite focused, is paramount.

It is understandable that no one is in that place all the time, and especially not when fresh in the hobby or maidening a new model that might or might not turn out to fly well. But is is equally important to understand the importance of confidence and relaxation as a goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post

That would be a sight to see. I can see the front gear catch wire and cartwheel down runway. Awesome! You do realize those carrier landing are done at a correct approach angle and speed, and have gear that are designed for deck landings....
                    Just learn to land the plane slowly. Any slower here I’d be going backwards.
                    Click image for larger version Name:	F5458D9D-61EC-47A8-92B0-4E9BF23B1E0D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	210798
                    Could I also ask how you masked around your canopy and fuselage to get the curve nice and crisp and even on both sides. You just part free hand part measure? Or paper/ card template folded in half to ensure both sides the same? Any advice here greatly appreciated. Painting the vertical stabs was pretty straight forward but painting that black on top of the fuselage and around the canopy looks like a challenge. And it is a focal point so will look awful if I cock it up.

Comment

• It's not the new FW F-18 Carl...

Comment

Precisely!

No nervous pilot ever flies well - neither on a technical nor aesthetic level. Being relaxed, despite focused, is paramount.

It is understandable that no one is in that place all the time, and especially not when fresh in the hobby or maidening a new model that might or might not turn out to fly well. But is is equally important to understand the importance of confidence and relaxation as a goal.
                        And as ya know its deeply emotional. Like connected deeply to the plane as if im in it lol. We need to be sensitive, relaxed and in that moment just like playing music. Its a form of mediation really and ENDLESS stuff to keep learning and growing at. So much subtlety to refine. I just saw a virtuosic indian Raga concert with sitar and Tabla, talk about rytymm VIBE and being FULLY RELAXED. That is whole other level of being fully relaxed and fully present :)

Comment

• It's been so hot in the shop that I'm taking my sweet time on #2 F-18c. Got the Elevator servos replace, glued the mounting brackets better, rx installed (temp), tighten up the elevator bearing.

When you guys happen to crash, happens to all of us, what is your protcol for testing parts out. Say, y harness, extention leads, EDF/ESC, etc? The Rx are so cheap I throw them away if the crash is really hard, like in my case the case split in two.
                          Planes
                          -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                          -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• So it's not a Super Hornet - a dream paint scheme won't be stopped by an inconvenient historical fact, kinda like a lot of those "What if Hitler/Nazi Gemany" documentaries on the History Channel :)

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                              It's been so hot in the shop that I'm taking my sweet time on #2 F-18c. Got the Elevator servos replace, glued the mounting brackets better, rx installed (temp), tighten up the elevator bearing.

When you guys happen to crash, happens to all of us, what is your protcol for testing parts out. Say, y harness, extention leads, EDF/ESC, etc? The Rx are so cheap I throw them away if the crash is really hard, like in my case the case split in two.
                              The only crash I've had in 5 years is my Avanti, which was totalled from pilot error, doing knife edges and slow four pointers at 1 meter altitude. So I don't have any protocol as such, especially since it's a clear pilot error and no hardware to blame or suspect. None of the involved hardware will fly again.

Comment

The only crash I've had in 5 years is my Avanti, which was totalled from pilot error, doing knife edges and slow four pointers at 1 meter altitude. So I don't have any protocol as such, especially since it's a clear pilot error and no hardware to blame or suspect. None of the involved hardware will fly again.
                                I’m asking protocol or how do you go about testing the hardware of the down plane, so that parts (servos, landing gear, servo extensions, etc) can be used in another plane or places in parts bin for later usage.

but 1m off the ground, that’s ballsy

Planes
                                -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

I’m asking protocol or how do you go about testing the hardware of the down plane, so that parts (servos, landing gear, servo extensions, etc) can be used in another plane or places in parts bin for later usage.

but 1m off the ground, that’s ballsy
                                  Get a servo tester. You can find good ones online for about $15. And make sure you get one that has a cycle function as it's good to let servos cycle for a few minutes to make sure they are good. You'll need a separate RX pack to power the tester. It works for retracts too.

I test and cycle all my servos and LG in a new plane to make sure there are no issues, and I use it to test electronics after a crash to determine if they're still usable.
                                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                    Get a servo tester. You can find good ones online for about $15. And make sure you get one that has a cycle function as it's good to let servos cycle for a few minutes to make sure they are good. You'll need a separate RX pack to power the tester. It works for retracts too.

I test and cycle all my servos and LG in a new plane to make sure there are no issues, and I use it to test electronics after a crash to determine if they're still usable.
                                    Hey Pat, yes sir I’ve picked up one from motion. Not testing servos on a new plane is foolish IMO. Some disagree and think testing is not that important, which I’m flabbergasted at. I didn’t know if you guys test servos for a longer duration, measure resistance in servo extensions, etc after a crash

Example: When I get a new plane I’ll test the servos for 3-5 minutes using the “cycle function” of the tester. But after a crash, didn’t know if people would test the servo for a longer duration
                                    Planes

Comment

• After a crash I just make sure they still function properly and don't have any stripped gears. I typically only cycle them for a short period (less than a minute) as the cycle test really only makes sure they don't burn up or stop working when new.
                                      Pat

Comment

When I get a new plane I’ll test the servos for 3-5 minutes using the “cycle function” of the tester.
                                        3 - 5 minutes is about as long as many EDFs will fly for and during a flight, you aren't using any particular servo continuously for that whole flight (unless you've got things running through a gyro stabilizer that's on all the time). You can't prevent every possibility. What if the servo craps out at minute 6 or 7 or 8 of your "testing". Do you cycle your gear for 5 minutes continuously? Do you do a range test at 100 feet? Maybe you should go 150 feet. If you worry all the time about such things, you will never test enough and never fly anything. If you fly at a proper facility and follow their rules and use your own common sense, that's about all (and maybe more) than what can be expected from any hobbyist.
                                        Understanding the above and also understanding that this hobby spawns a lot of compulsive/obsessive behavior (not to mention anal retentiveness), you can find examples go NOT doing enough in all areas. I've seen guys spend weeks and months putting minute details into their planes, change out this and that, then don't want to fly the plane in case it crashes or they do fly it and it lasts 30 seconds. I guess it's up to each individual to draw the line at where "enough is enough".

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                          3 - 5 minutes is about as long as many EDFs will fly for and during a flight, you aren't using any particular servo continuously for that whole flight (unless you've got things running through a gyro stabilizer that's on all the time). You can't prevent every possibility. What if the servo craps out at minute 6 or 7 or 8 of your "testing". Do you cycle your gear for 5 minutes continuously? Do you do a range test at 100 feet? Maybe you should go 150 feet. If you worry all the time about such things, you will never test enough and never fly anything. If you fly at a proper facility and follow their rules and use your own common sense, that's about all (and maybe more) than what can be expected from any hobbyist.
                                          Understanding the above and also understanding that this hobby spawns a lot of compulsive/obsessive behavior (not to mention anal retentiveness), you can find examples go NOT doing enough in all areas. I've seen guys spend weeks and months putting minute details into their planes, change out this and that, then don't want to fly the plane in case it crashes or they do fly it and it lasts 30 seconds. I guess it's up to each individual to draw the line at where "enough is enough".
                                          I'm aware you can't prevent ever possibility, that applies to everything we do on a daily bases. You are walking in to the "What if" where people get often blue in the face and I find my class at for when instructing conceal carry classes.. Range is something however that specified by the manufacture and has been more or less accepted as a "standard" in this hobby to do it at 90 feet.

Point of my comment is this:

My original F-18 went down on the maiden. EDF, ESC, Servo extensions, appear to be fine. What would you and other members here do to say "Ok I can use X part in my other plane.
                                          Planes

Comment

Working...
                                          X