First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I'm sure they will.

Comment

• Hi,

I didn't read the ENTIRE thread, but I did poke around looking. I'm just gonna ask now: What kind of duration are you guys getting with a 5000 pack on this plane? Mixed throttle usage, of course. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaun Evans View Post
        Hi,

I didn't read the ENTIRE thread, but I did poke around looking. I'm just gonna ask now: What kind of duration are you guys getting with a 5000 pack on this plane? Mixed throttle usage, of course. Thanks!
        Hi SE,
        This is a VERY subjective topic. Are you the type of pilot that follows the recommendations to leave 40% in the tank so the life of the LiPo is extended. Or, do you ignore the common recommendation and potentially shorten the battery life?

I fly the AL37 with Admiral Pro 6000 and also SMC 6200 batteries and cruise at mostly 1/2 throttle or even a few clicks lower with some full throttle hot rodding. I set the timer at 4:30 and typically use about 3800 mAh (leaving about 40% in reserve).

You could expect the 5000 mAh battery to allow about 45 seconds less than this with similar mix.

Set your timer for 2:30 and see what your cell voltage is post flight. Shoot for 3.8 volts post flight for max battery life. Longer flights that draw the cells to 3.3 V will potentially shorten the battery life.

A guess is that you’ll settle on about a 3:30 flight time.

-GG

Comment

• Fellow Motion R.C. enthusiasts!.
          The Wallsburg Warbird Works is pleased to announce our CFO has approved the acquisition of a Freewing AL-37 for our growing fleet.
          now the question is, do I have Callie make up grafics to honor my father who was Pan Am's last senior pilot. Or something a bit more modern and colorful?.
          Either way I am looking forward to the challenges of the modifications recommended by members of this forum.
          flying this beautiful bird is enthusiastically awaited!.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad Driver View Post
            Fellow Motion R.C. enthusiasts!.
            The Wallsburg Warbird Works is pleased to announce our CFO has approved the acquisition of a Freewing AL-37 for our growing fleet.
            now the question is, do I have Callie make up grafics to honor my father who was Pan Am's last senior pilot. Or something a bit more modern and colorful?.
            Either way I am looking forward to the challenges of the modifications recommended by members of this forum.
            flying this beautiful bird is enthusiastically awaited!.
            I always liked the way PanAm logo airplanes looked, they were around when I was younger. Go for it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	511
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	368563
            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Spad Driver….

Don’t wait for responses. Instead read all this thread for the knowledge in it.

-GG

Comment

• Already did. That's why I said I was looking forward to the challenges of the modifications. Know all about your 3 AL-37's from your posts.
                I don't jump into the deep end of the pool first. Started in the shallows and have worked my way through to the triple lindy off the high dive. ( Rodney Dangerfield)😀!.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad Driver View Post
                  Already did. That's why I said I was looking forward to the challenges of the modifications. Know all about your 3 AL-37's from your posts.
                  I don't jump into the deep end of the pool first. Started in the shallows and have worked my way through to the triple lindy off the high dive. ( Rodney Dangerfield)😀!.
                  Good deal….Let us know if you have questions.

-GG

Comment

• So, after reading the all the posts and writing down a list of the recommended modifications. Chokes, reinforcement of upper wing, fuselage reinforcement etc...
                    now I have to wait until the plane arrives to see the structure. Before completely understanding the nature of these mods and why they are necessary.
                    my thanks to all of you that have contributed your 2 cents worth of your experience with this bird!.
                    those of us who follow the various forums here benefit from from it and have a better experience with our own planes because of it.
                    thank you one and all,
                    Spad Driver

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	7296F5DE-CA8C-4C5A-ABBE-290DC194A2DB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	368773Hi Spad Driver,
                      Additional evidence regarding upper wing skin reinforcement with 1/4 inch square carbon tubing epoxied to the top skin inside the wing wiring channels.

Both wing photos were taken after a LARGE number (several thousand) of flights…and I do aerobatics.

Photo above is my current bird. Photo below is my RETIRED first bird (paint didn’t match after an attempted cosmetic fix).

The need for extra internal carbon is self evident, if you plan on flying her a lot and doing aerobatics.

It’s an EASY mod and well worth doing.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	2D6584E4-6C6F-4FF1-8E95-3E12D59E67DC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	368772

Comment

• Got it on my list as a must do.👍
                        motion rc brings us good quality airframes, but almost every rc bird can use upgrades and improvements. Especially ones that are flown hard and have their limits pushed!.
                        Do appreciate the advice though, glider guy!.
                        FEDEX says delivery tomorrow!. Then it's Christmas all over again!.
                        gotta do my happy dance!.

Comment

• I am new to this forum and new to the AL37. If this question has been discussed in the past, maybe someone can point me to the relevant pages. My test flying seems to show the need for some down elevator with flaps to keep the nose down on approach, but I see that the manual calls for UP elevator. What are most flyers using?

Comment

• Originally posted by jrf View Post
                            I am new to this forum and new to the AL37. If this question has been discussed in the past, maybe someone can point me to the relevant pages. My test flying seems to show the need for some down elevator with flaps to keep the nose down on approach, but I see that the manual calls for UP elevator. What are most flyers using?
                            Welcome JRF,
                            You should read the posts in this forum to take advantage of all the knowledge here.

Double check your CG. I have owned 3 AL37 planes, and they remain level when the flaps are lowered and raised. If a “little” flap and elevator mixing is needed in your transmitter, that’s not a big problem.

Strongly suggest you add a gyro. She flies a lot better with one. Also, add a little expo on the ailerons (20 to 30%) to settle her roll sensitivity a bit.

To give you an example, I fly on the CG mark with a gyro and 30% aileron expo and yesterday I made 10 flights in 15 to 20 knot wind gusts. She did fine!

With neutral stick, my elevator sits about 2 mm up. I fly with Admiral 6000 and also the SMC 6200 type batteries. Lighter batteries will lead to a more aft CG.

Keep about 4 clicks of power on approach with full flaps for a smoother controlled approach and landing.

Also search the forums on RF chokes….READ, LEARN, INSTALL them.

-GG

Comment

• Thanks GG. I am using a gyro at 50% gain and that works well. Also, my neutral setting on the elevators is about the same as yours. I was a little nose heavy and have now moved the CG to the marks. Are you using the recommended 10mm / 19mm travel on the flaps? That works out to only 30 degrees or so..

Comment

• Good deal. Yes…about 30 degrees max.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

I always liked the way PanAm logo airplanes looked, they were around when I was younger. Go for it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	511
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	368563
                                  The bird just recently sold out. I was looking at it last week and thinking I better pull the trigger on it soon or it will be gone...

I'm now on a quest.

Comment

• I am having trouble taking off from grass runway. Not getting enough speed. Using 5500 45c roaring top battery. Any suggestions.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
                                      ... The bird just recently sold out. ... I'm now on a quest.
                                      @jasmith41
                                      Looks to me like both versions are in stock $500

Freewing AL37 Airliner Base White Twin 70mm EDF Jet - PNP
                                      Freewing AL37 Airliner Twin 70mm EDF Jet - PNP

Comment

• Originally posted by Jade5233 View Post
                                        I am having trouble taking off from grass runway. Not getting enough speed. Using 5500 45c roaring top battery. Any suggestions.
                                        Grass creates a lot of drag against the wheels. Cut that stuff down as close as you can. My suggestion is to take off with the flaps at takeoff setting, that will help get it off the ground quicker. Also, you may be nose heavy. If you move the battery back a little it will also help the model take off faster, but make sure you don't make it tail heavy. Move it back just a little, like 1/2" at a time and see how it goes. I take mine off from short grass without any problems at all.
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Here's a video showing the P.8 Poseidon from my friend Robert, recorded at last weekend's EDF meeting in Wey, Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

Working...
                                          X