Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case anyone knows here (I messaged Aros as well), is it possible to add a custom picture for the profile signature (the space below each post of a user) instead of just text? I tried adding a picture and it allowed me to save it, but nothing shows up in the signature. So, it may be either not be possible, or the picture isn't within the allowed specs such as file size, type, and dimensions. Hmmm

Edit: Nevermind, I got it working!

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Reverse your struts and it will stop the bouncing.
      Yeah but you shouldn't have to do that. What other plane has anyone had to do something like that on? And truthfully T.I., it wasn't that long ago that you were ready to give up on this plane. I have yet to hear anything about an updated ETA on the new oleo type gear...........in fact....well, let's just hear from Alpha on the gear please. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
        Yeah but you shouldn't have to do that. What other plane has anyone had to do something like that on? And truthfully T.I., it wasn't that long ago that you were ready to give up on this plane. I have yet to hear anything about an updated ETA on the new oleo type gear...........in fact....well, let's just hear from Alpha on the gear please. Brad
        No we shouldn't have to do that Brad. Neither should we have to sit grounded waiting for a replacement strut. I can personally attest to the fact that reversing the struts works. Believe it or not. I am flying and it is working until a better solution comes along. I have back my confidence with the plane. What does it matter if you should have to do something like reversing the struts on a plane as long as it keeps you flying? You clipped the main springs if I recall correctly but you shouldn't have to do that either. Just sayin'... If you are not willing to try the mod that is up to you but please don't get frustrated at someone else for suggesting it. George is merely trying to help.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

No we shouldn't have to do that Brad. Neither should we have to sit grounded waiting for a replacement strut. I can personally attest to the fact that reversing the struts works. Believe it or not. I am flying and it is working until a better solution comes along. I have back my confidence with the plane. What does it matter if you should have to do something like reversing the struts on a plane as long as it keeps you flying? You clipped the main springs if I recall correctly but you shouldn't have to do that either. Just sayin'... If you are not willing to try the mod that is up to you but please don't get frustrated at someone else for suggesting it. George is merely trying to help.
          I appreciate the feedback. Yes I did clip the springs in an effort to modify the gear to a safe alternative. However, when Alpha stated , in answer to my request for a gear solution, that MRC was going to release a new set of oleo type gear in a limited run for the A-10 that would be coming out this month, I dropped George's mod like a burnt match. For the record, I am not frustrated with George at all. He has probably, along with you, set the bar pretty high for the rest of us and I commend both of you for that. In addition, I have to say that when Alpha mentioned the release of said new gear, there was a stampede of people on this thread wanting the new gear besides me. If I was going to be frustrated, it would be about getting the new gear, not picking on a fellow contributor. Thanks, Brad

Comment

• It's all good Brad. We are all trying to move in the same basic direction and I do hope that Alpha and team can execute soon on something that will work. Limited runs of anything make me nervous though because it implies when their gone their gone and I am often too late to capitalize before their OOS. I hope that is not the case. In the meantime I am at least flying and enjoying this awesome plane with the main struts reversed and for that I am truly grateful. I had my own set of frustrations recently with my 90mm and some ESC issues on 6S but I think I have that one licked now. This past Sunday was the first time I have gotten to enjoy just flying the snot out of it. :)

Comment

It's all good Brad. We are all trying to move in the same basic direction and I do hope that Alpha and team can execute soon on something that will work. Limited runs of anything make me nervous though because it implies when their gone their gone and I am often too late to capitalize before their OOS. I hope that is not the case. In the meantime I am at least flying and enjoying this awesome plane with the main struts reversed and for that I am truly grateful. I had my own set of frustrations recently with my 90mm and some ESC issues on 6S but I think I have that one licked now. This past Sunday was the first time I have gotten to enjoy just flying the snot out of it. :)
              Did the updated firmware fix the issues with your ZTW ESC's?

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Did the updated firmware fix the issues with your ZTW ESC's?
                Yes but I still needed to get more air over/under the ESC's to keep them cool. One thing that is a bit wierd with these ESC's that I have not seen with any others is that I have to plug both batteries up to their respective fans to get them to initialize and it also appears that if one fan/ESC goes out they both go out. Thought I had it all sorted out and was flying it when both fans quit on an upwind pass. Ended up dead sticking it into a corn field. Minimal damage, all repaired now but the ESC's overheated or at least one of them did. Neither one was pulling over 100 amps but I got it to do it again while secured to a column. Max temps. on the programming card indicated 37-38C. I raised the ESC's up a bit In their cavities and tried it again. Ran them at WOT for 3 minutes with no issues. Checked max. temps again and they only got up to 33-34C. I have now got over 7 flights on it on 6S now. The pairing to initialize thing still has me puzzled though.

Comment

• Now when the new struts do come out. I hope guys are just buying for their need and not buying few sets at a time. Especially if it's a limited run!!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    And truthfully T.I., it wasn't that long ago that you were ready to give up on this plane.

Absolutely, after smashing the nose I was ready to stomp the dang thing into foam dust :Angry: but now I'm flying the crap out of this plane with zero issues, I love it. I'll probably build an ARF with 90mm fans and before it ever has a battery in it I'll reverse the struts and put the modded plate on the nose gear.
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• About these new Oleo's ............................. Were they designed primarily for landing on paved runways or are they being designed to reduce bounce on grass? I fly only off grass and my landings are a mixed bag. Most of the time, I get this horrible bounce and break a nose pin, while occasionally, I'll grease one. If these new struts were meant for guys on pavement to reduce their bounce, then I guess I'll just have to keep practicing my landings with this plane. The A-10 and the 90mm Venom are the only two planes that give me grief when landing. I've installed trailing links in my Venom and it has helped tremendously and I'm getting better with it all the time. The Venom isn't nearly as heavy on the nose and it can take repeated beatings without blinking. The A-10, on the other hand, not so much. All my other planes are "generally" not a problem (dumb thumbs not included).

Comment

• I thought they were working on a TL nose gear because that is what all the grass ops guys are saying they should have left in place to begin with.

Comment

• Hey guys those of u who have made a new front plate to help the nose gear retract slop.... what are u cutting the sheet metal with?? tried my dremal but did not come out very well

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            About these new Oleo's ............................. Were they designed primarily for landing on paved runways or are they being designed to reduce bounce on grass? I fly only off grass and my landings are a mixed bag. Most of the time, I get this horrible bounce and break a nose pin, while occasionally, I'll grease one. If these new struts were meant for guys on pavement to reduce their bounce, then I guess I'll just have to keep practicing my landings with this plane. The A-10 and the 90mm Venom are the only two planes that give me grief when landing. I've installed trailing links in my Venom and it has helped tremendously and I'm getting better with it all the time. The Venom isn't nearly as heavy on the nose and it can take repeated beatings without blinking. The A-10, on the other hand, not so much. All my other planes are "generally" not a problem (dumb thumbs not included).
                            My understanding from Alpha was that the new gear are for short grass and or pavement. The original gear was designed for taller grass capability. Brad

Comment

I thought they were working on a TL nose gear because that is what all the grass ops guys are saying they should have left in place to begin with.
                              Trailing link for nose and oleo for mains so that we can mix n match to our hearts desire was what I remember they(Alpha) were gonna be pursuing.
                              And I'm not one of those grass guys wanting a trailing link nose. ;) but do want oleo mains :Cool:
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                About these new Oleo's ............................. Were they designed primarily for landing on paved runways or are they being designed to reduce bounce on grass? I fly only off grass and my landings are a mixed bag. Most of the time, I get this horrible bounce and break a nose pin, while occasionally, I'll grease one. If these new struts were meant for guys on pavement to reduce their bounce, then I guess I'll just have to keep practicing my landings with this plane. The A-10 and the 90mm Venom are the only two planes that give me grief when landing. I've installed trailing links in my Venom and it has helped tremendously and I'm getting better with it all the time. The Venom isn't nearly as heavy on the nose and it can take repeated beatings without blinking. The A-10, on the other hand, not so much. All my other planes are "generally" not a problem (dumb thumbs not included).
                                I think the oleo mains are primarily for us pavement guys (or short grass) They are also supposed to be bring in a trailing link nose gear for the grass field flyer.
                                On your current mains (since you are grass field ops) you might want to consider shimming the mains to give a little pre-load to the action. Check posts from "The Don" on RC Groups under the A-10 thread there. He came up with the idea using screws to adjust the amount of deflection but can also be done with some shims. (Check Crash Guru for more details)
                                My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• TI!!!! Do you feel like you are living Groundhog Day over and over???? LOL I can't wait to try a flight now with the mods... Had been holding off on doing it, but it seems that 6000 hours of stick time or 10 hours makes no difference on this bird and her bouncing... Just when you think you have it down to a science, a little variance in airspeed and/or angle of attack, (or both) and bounce city!!!! Anyway, thanks again for posting the fix over and over.....

Comment

• Originally posted by gravityworks View Post
                                    Hey guys those of u who have made a new front plate to help the nose gear retract slop.... what are u cutting the sheet metal with?? tried my dremal but did not come out very well
                                    Used the dremel and just took the time to cut it slowly and a little oversized and then work it down... Not a lot of fun though!! :-)

Comment

• I did the same, and I used the metal cutting blade. Made it a little oversized in the center cutout, then ground it down as needed.
                                      Pat

Comment

Yes but I still needed to get more air over/under the ESC's to keep them cool. One thing that is a bit wierd with these ESC's that I have not seen with any others is that I have to plug both batteries up to their respective fans to get them to initialize and it also appears that if one fan/ESC goes out they both go out. Thought I had it all sorted out and was flying it when both fans quit on an upwind pass. Ended up dead sticking it into a corn field. Minimal damage, all repaired now but the ESC's overheated or at least one of them did. Neither one was pulling over 100 amps but I got it to do it again while secured to a column. Max temps. on the programming card indicated 37-38C. I raised the ESC's up a bit In their cavities and tried it again. Ran them at WOT for 3 minutes with no issues. Checked max. temps again and they only got up to 33-34C. I have now got over 7 flights on it on 6S now. The pairing to initialize thing still has me puzzled though.
                                        Wow, those are some finicky ESC's. I didn't realize they had some quirky stuff. With airflow like the A-10 has, it's shocking those ESC's were shutting down. The initializing thing is weird, no doubt. At least it's working more consistently now, and hopefully you won't have any further issues with shutdown.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Wow, those are some finicky ESC's. I didn't realize they had some quirky stuff. With airflow like the A-10 has, it's shocking those ESC's were shutting down. The initializing thing is weird, no doubt. At least it's working more consistently now, and hopefully you won't have any further issues with shutdown.
                                          Yeah, if I disconnect one of the ESC throttle leads from the connector board the remaining ESC will initialize no problem provided there is power to the BEC and receiver but plug both throttle leads into the board and then power the fan with the BEC tied to it and it will just sit there and beep slowly until you power the other fan and then they will both initialize at the same time. The only thing connecting them electrically are the throttle leads. I may need to contact someone at Altitude Hobbies to see what they can tell me. Have you flown your 90 yet?

Comment

Working...
                                          X