X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD,

Move to Arizona. We fly all day in the winter. ;)
    Pat

Comment

• Another part finished :Cool:. Now to see how well it prints.

Comment

• What CAD system do you use? Those look awesome!

Comment

• I use solidworks

Comment

• The LITENING targeting pod is now available for download from cults3d for anyone interested (or direct PM/email/paypal).
            AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING targeting pod modeled for the 1.7m Freewing A-10 Thunderbolt II. Body has a slot to fit attachment hardware: https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-f-16c-90mm-weapons-attachment-hardware Head and turret are fully pose-able, but require gluing to stay in place

FYI, I have several more ordinance planned, and the majority will remain free and hosted on both cults3d and thingiverse.

Comment

• They need to start calling you the Mad Scientist. Always in the lab cooking up new parts and bits. :Smug:

Comment

• Hi Chaps,

My new star is born... assembled yesterday night, great looking bird. I started a slightly different camo (adding dark grey).
                But I have some strange behaviours. I did a check on the forum in this thread but did not find a lot of info.
                All connections are on PCB as per instructions.
                However, when the landing gears go down, the front light does not always switch on. Other lights are working fine.
                One elevator does not move at all, the second one move randomly and only when other sticks are moved. Other control devices are working fine.
                I connected one battery to the cable with the BEC (and Bec to RX) and got the motor beeping every 2 sec with a small movement of the fan. I guess I just need to setup the speed controller.

I am considering bypassing the PCB for the main commands and keep only the landing gears, doors and lights on it.
                And I will install a separate battery for the RX (Multiplex 2.4ghz with telemetry).
                With default configuration, I understood that the RX is powered by the BEC connector.
                Did someone made these change already? How easy is it to do? How is the PCB powered? Are the speed controller 'servo' connectors powering the PCB and RX too?
                With my other electric planes I just disconnect the red wire from the speed controller when using the external RX battery?
                Sorry for all these questions but I'm rather used with 'basic' planes. :-)
                Greetings from Belgium.

Comment

• Welcome to the Squawk!!! So glad to have you here!! Nice A-10!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by LucB View Post
                    Hi Chaps,

My new star is born... assembled yesterday night, great looking bird. I started a slightly different camo (adding dark grey).
                    But I have some strange behaviours. I did a check on the forum in this thread but did not find a lot of info.
                    All connections are on PCB as per instructions.
                    However, when the landing gears go down, the front light does not always switch on. Other lights are working fine.
                    One elevator does not move at all, the second one move randomly and only when other sticks are moved. Other control devices are working fine.
                    I connected one battery to the cable with the BEC (and Bec to RX) and got the motor beeping every 2 sec with a small movement of the fan. I guess I just need to setup the speed controller.

I am considering bypassing the PCB for the main commands and keep only the landing gears, doors and lights on it.
                    And I will install a separate battery for the RX (Multiplex 2.4ghz with telemetry).
                    With default configuration, I understood that the RX is powered by the BEC connector.
                    Did someone made these change already? How easy is it to do? How is the PCB powered? Are the speed controller 'servo' connectors powering the PCB and RX too?
                    With my other electric planes I just disconnect the red wire from the speed controller when using the external RX battery?
                    Sorry for all these questions but I'm rather used with 'basic' planes. :-)
                    Greetings from Belgium.
                    Try swapping the elevator connectors on the connector board to see if the unresponsive elevator servo works or not. Make sure your ESC's are calibrated.

Comment

• Thanks Hardway :Cool:
                      Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Try swapping the elevator connectors on the connector board to see if the unresponsive elevator servo works or not. Make sure your ESC's are calibrated.
                      I forgot to mention, when I connect the servos directly to the RX, they are working fine. But will try anyway, thanks for the hint.

Here is the beast after few hours of work. Camo paint is not that good, I had an issue with my airbrush and run out of paint... so she's missing the final layer. Light weathering done already. I still have that big mouth decal to put. I think I will crop it because these water decals are so tick, they do not round easily.

Comment

• anyone have any direction or tips on how to easily do the Alaska squadron paint scheme with this model? Really interested in doing mine this way!

Comment

• Originally posted by p51mustangman View Post
                          anyone have any direction or tips on how to easily do the Alaska squadron paint scheme with this model? Really interested in doing mine this way!
                          P51MM, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. In this thread, there are two or more members who have built the Alaska livery. Also, Online there 3-views of that scheme. Also, check Callie Graphics https://callie-graphics.com/collecti...r-graphics-set for the correct decals for that livery. Also, check pictures in "the Lounge" for great pix of the A-10's that have been built by other members. Best, LB
                          Last edited by Elbee; Feb 1, 2019, 12:22 PM. Reason: Added Hyperlink to Callie Graphics
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks Hardway :Cool:

I forgot to mention, when I connect the servos directly to the RX, they are working fine. But will try anyway, thanks for the hint.

Here is the beast after few hours of work. Camo paint is not that good, I had an issue with my airbrush and run out of paint... so she's missing the final layer. Light weathering done already. I still have that big mouth decal to put. I think I will crop it because these water decals are so tick, they do not round easily.
                            I found the issue, it is the... user. I did not connect correctly the plug. Now everything is fine.
                            During the weekend we had our local hobby show, announcing the start of the flying season. This year we had a special "Jet" chapter (if you are interested in knowing what we build in Belgium, let me know and I will post the pics).
                            My A10 got a prize. Some could not believe it's a foamy 'cause she doesn't look like a foamy. Thanks Freewing having made this plane. :Cool:

Comment

• Glad you got your wiring issue figured out, and congrats on the award!

I get the same comments too almost every time I fly (we get a lot of spectators at our field as a lot of people come down from the north for winter). They can't believe it's made of foam.
                              Pat

Comment

During the weekend we had our local hobby show, announcing the start of the flying season.My A10 got a prize. Some could not believe it's a foamy 'cause she doesn't look like a foamy.
                                LB, Congratulations on the :Win: and Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Are most people just upgrading the nose gear? I bought an upgraded nose and set of mains but now I’m reading that you should only do one or the other?

I fly off a geotech runway and i would prefer to use all of the upgraded gear since i already bought them. Any idea if that will be an issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by flyAA View Post
                                    Are most people just upgrading the nose gear? I bought an upgraded nose and set of mains but now I’m reading that you should only do one or the other?

I fly off a geotech runway and i would prefer to use all of the upgraded gear since i already bought them. Any idea if that will be an issue?
                                    I have upgraded both the nose and main landing gear and now enjoy bounce free landings. No issues for me with upgrading all landing gear. I know enjoy this great Freewing jet so much more knowing a not so perfect landing will not result in the bronco bull ride.

After too many bouncy landings I upgraded to the new shock absorbing landing gear. Big improvement. Now I no longer worry if my A-10 landings will result...
                                    Last edited by JTClark; Feb 16, 2019, 02:52 PM. Reason: added video link

Comment

• Originally posted by JTClark View Post

I have upgraded both the nose and main landing gear and now enjoy bounce free landings. No issues for me with upgrading all landing gear. I know enjoy this great Freewing jet so much more knowing a not so perfect landing will not result in the bronco bull ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MKSwwIFho&t=215s
                                      Awesome thanks! That’s good to know.

One last question lol. Is anyone not doing the mod to move the rear nose gear door back so it doesn’t rub the nose wheel? I don’t feel like messing with it if it’s not that big of a deal.

Comment

• Greetings to everyone....I'm a little bit late to the party, but wanted to share with the group. I pretty much read this thread completely before working up the nerve to buy this. I've been in and out of the hobby since the late 80's and recently discovered Motion RC and these great jets. I currently have the 1600 spitfire, F16 v2 70mm, a 64mm a10, and the 80mm F14 which is on it's way! Love all of them! This was my first attempt at making any really modifications besides rc geeks' centerburner on the F16.

The build was just as advertised by everyone....very simple and only a couple of hours. I added rivets and basic weathering via a Tamiya kit. RCJETDUDE provided his 3D printed whistles that were much cheaper and easier than dissecting nerf footballs. They sound AMAZING!! Thanks Steve!!!! Once powered up I discovered the right side aileron servo was slow and buzzing, so after a quick email to MRC customer support I had a new servo on the way. Since I had to pull the tape and re-wire, I wanted to do something unique and take advantage of the telemetry on the ix-12 which is new to me. So I've added a working pitot tube as well as voltage and temp sensors. A little surgery working with the panel lines around the stock pitot tube and some k&s 1/16 tubing was simple. One note about the tubing is that the k&s tubing has a slightly smaller inside diameter than the pitot tube which had me concerned would constrict the air flow. I tested the system with both the supplied silicon tubing and with the smaller brass tubing. Both yielded identical airspeed results. I routed them to the backside of the printed board and carefully notched out two openings to easily plug the silicon air line along with servo connections.

My second mod was to add JP 75mm brakes. Probably not necessary, but I always wanted to add brakes and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do it. Once I received the brakes I realized the hubs have a square recess that lock the hub and were designed with a specific strut in mind. The hubs would just spin on the axle of the freewing struts. I used a 1mm sheet of aluminum and tin cutters to cut out a bracket to wrap around the main strut. I also had to drill out the mains to accommodate the 6mm axle. So far they seem to work great on taxi tests, but the only issue I have found is that even after making end point adjustments on the radio, they are locking up the wheels when engaged. I use a 3 way switch and figured out that if I apply full brakes and back off to middle setting they provide the perfect braking power. In other words, the electromagnet requires full power to initially engage, then intermediate power works. If anyone else has JP brakes and run into this, feel free to chime in with a solution. Maybe they just need to break in a little, but I'm thinking that adding a few copper shims between the magnet and hub would help, but jp doesn't provide any extras.

All I can say is so far this jet is amazing and I can't wait get it in the air. Looking forward to reporting back with a successful first flight!!

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by dlink72 View Post
                                          Greetings to everyone....I'm a little bit late to the party, but wanted to share with the group. I pretty much read this thread completely before working up the nerve to buy this. I've been in and out of the hobby since the late 80's and recently discovered Motion RC and these great jets. I currently have the 1600 spitfire, F16 v2 70mm, a 64mm a10, and the 80mm F14 which is on it's way! Love all of them! This was my first attempt at making any really modifications besides rc geeks' centerburner on the F16.

The build was just as advertised by everyone....very simple and only a couple of hours. I added rivets and basic weathering via a Tamiya kit. RCJETDUDE provided his 3D printed whistles that were much cheaper and easier than dissecting nerf footballs. They sound AMAZING!! Thanks Steve!!!! Once powered up I discovered the right side aileron servo was slow and buzzing, so after a quick email to MRC customer support I had a new servo on the way. Since I had to pull the tape and re-wire, I wanted to do something unique and take advantage of the telemetry on the ix-12 which is new to me. So I've added a working pitot tube as well as voltage and temp sensors. A little surgery working with the panel lines around the stock pitot tube and some k&s 1/16 tubing was simple. One note about the tubing is that the k&s tubing has a slightly smaller inside diameter than the pitot tube which had me concerned would constrict the air flow. I tested the system with both the supplied silicon tubing and with the smaller brass tubing. Both yielded identical airspeed results. I routed them to the backside of the printed board and carefully notched out two openings to easily plug the silicon air line along with servo connections.

My second mod was to add JP 75mm brakes. Probably not necessary, but I always wanted to add brakes and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do it. Once I received the brakes I realized the hubs have a square recess that lock the hub and were designed with a specific strut in mind. The hubs would just spin on the axle of the freewing struts. I used a 1mm sheet of aluminum and tin cutters to cut out a bracket to wrap around the main strut. I also had to drill out the mains to accommodate the 6mm axle. So far they seem to work great on taxi tests, but the only issue I have found is that even after making end point adjustments on the radio, they are locking up the wheels when engaged. I use a 3 way switch and figured out that if I apply full brakes and back off to middle setting they provide the perfect braking power. In other words, the electromagnet requires full power to initially engage, then intermediate power works. If anyone else has JP brakes and run into this, feel free to chime in with a solution. Maybe they just need to break in a little, but I'm thinking that adding a few copper shims between the magnet and hub would help, but jp doesn't provide any extras.

All I can say is so far this jet is amazing and I can't wait get it in the air. Looking forward to reporting back with a successful first flight!!

Dave
                                          DAVE!!!! Nice job on the mods and welcome to the Squawk! I have used the JP brakes and it is usually just a matter of taxi testing to set the end points until they drag. Keep us posted on how things go.

Comment

Working...
                                          X