Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally I started to wash my bird with some Vallejo Wash. It turned out to look pretty old and done. I won't take a ride with a real bird looking so bad. It's my first time to use this technique, used three different type of color. Dark grey, Middle grey and rust.

Applied some water to the rivets and panel lines with a brush,
    then applied dark grey with a second brush.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_193019.jpg Views:	1 Size:	175.4 KB ID:	160835
    used a paper towel to remove exceeding color after approx. 5 min.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_194001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	160836
    next application
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_195506.jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.6 KB ID:	160837
    after second cycle
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_202237.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	160838
    next cycle
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_212340.jpg Views:	1 Size:	173.1 KB ID:	160839

and so on, guess I have to stop now. :-)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_202222.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	160840
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_220212.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	160841
    Remember to check the look under daylight.
    Now it looks like a Mad-Max style Jet. Not sure if you like it...but I do. I built many Jet's so far but this one will turn out different.

Comment

• Welcome, Edin and Wobisch!

Wobisch, I like your unique approach. In your photos some of the surfaces look like bleached denim jeans, which I think is a very unique effect. "Different" is good! As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I've used Vallejo paints in the past but not as washes. Are you using the Model Air series from Vallejo, or their normal, thicker paint series?
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Hi Alpha

The Denim Effect is much stronger under the LED Light in my hobby shop than outside.

I used the Model Air Series for the painting and the WASH Series for the washing. It seems that there are much more pigments inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181108_223851.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	160851

Thank you for making this nice bird... really love it. Next one will be the Phantom. Got it last week.

Comment

• Good stuff!!! Welcome to you all... :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinTN View Post
            Hello all, Still have too many pages here to go, I guess will be a winter project Thanks for any help. Ed
            Edin, Welcome, I was in the same mode about this time last year. Welcome to the "Squawk" and the A-10 was my first EDF and entry back to RC. I love it. Great project winter, summer, spring, or fall. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Wobisch View Post
              Finally I started to wash my bird with some Vallejo Wash. It turned out to look pretty old and done.
              Wobisch, Welcome and I wouldn't ride in it either, but I'd sure as heck fly it! Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Wobisch View Post
                Finally I started to wash my bird with some Vallejo Wash. It turned out to look pretty old and done. I won't take a ride with a real bird looking so bad. It's my first time to use this technique, used three different type of color. Dark grey, Middle grey and rust.

Applied some water to the rivets and panel lines with a brush,
                then applied dark grey with a second brush.
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_193019.jpg Views:	1 Size:	175.4 KB ID:	160835
                used a paper towel to remove exceeding color after approx. 5 min.
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_194001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	160836
                next application
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_195506.jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.6 KB ID:	160837
                after second cycle
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_202237.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	160838
                next cycle
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_212340.jpg Views:	1 Size:	173.1 KB ID:	160839

and so on, guess I have to stop now. :-)
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_202222.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	160840
                Click image for larger version Name:	20181108_220212.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	160841
                Remember to check the look under daylight.
                Now it looks like a Mad-Max style Jet. Not sure if you like it...but I do. I built many Jet's so far but this one will turn out different.
                Welcome brother!.... If I missed it I apologize..... I am doing some experimenting as well my A-10..... Did you gloss coat prior to the wash??
                Thanks

Jason
                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• I used an acrylic PU Coat which is semi gloss, you would use it to seal your wooden floor normally. That's actually what I don't like but it helps to get a stronger surface. Next step will be the decals and then one more coating with a matt coat from the airbrush shop. This is an experimental procedure. Not yet sure if all steps are in the right order.

This products I found in the airbrush shop meanwhile. Gonna use it as soon as the decals from Callie Graphics are applied.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20181109_064212.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	160937

Next time I will apply the PU coat with the air brush to avoid brushstroke.
                  Hope you understand and my english is good enough.

Have fun
                  Andy

Comment

• All good! Thanks for the additional info !! Happy landings!
                    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Uh oh.... I think she has a problem. Over the past few months I have been painting this a-10 and testing carefully as I go along. Everything pretty good so far. Paint job is complete.
                      Of course I have put the wings on before (many times)...but I have never used the screws. Today I tried to....three of the 4 worked fine...the aft one on the right wing would not screw in!
                      I looked closer and it has no threads (gold insert is there with hole, but no threads)........sigh....now what?

All help appreciated..

Stilgar

Comment

• Originally posted by Stilgar99 View Post
                        Uh oh.... I think she has a problem. Over the past few months I have been painting this a-10 and testing carefully as I go along. Everything pretty good so far. Paint job is complete.
                        Of course I have put the wings on before (many times)...but I have never used the screws. Today I tried to....three of the 4 worked fine...the aft one on the right wing would not screw in!
                        I looked closer and it has no threads (gold insert is there with hole, but no threads)........sigh....now what?

All help appreciated..

Stilgar
                        So much time has gone by since you received this plane. The only thing I can suggest is to contact Motion and plead your case and see what they can do. If they aren't able to do anything due to the passage of time, you can get the thread size and pitch and tap the hole. It's likely that one of these inserts got away from the production line without being tapped.
                        It's too late for you now, but this is one of the reasons I do nothing to a plane that's beyond stock till it's been put together and flown at least once. Another reason is that I don't want to spend all that time on the plane only to have it crash on the initial flights.

Comment

• Because of how securely those wing mount tab plates are glued into the wing root (I disassembled my wing from my crashed one, and it was next to impossible to get off), I think your only option is going to be tapping the hole yourself. MRC does sell the mount plastic parts, but like I said they are glued in so well that you'll damage the wing getting it off.

Pat

Comment

• Flight yesterday with a GoPro attached to the tail.

Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                              Flight yesterday with a GoPro attached to the tail.

Nice flight Pat - so nice to see the field again!

Regards,
                              Jim

Comment

• Great flight Pat. Never realized how much flex there was in the forward fuselage when the weight of the batteries is neutralized by vertical flight. Is this the same field Frank Tiano and the boys used to occasionally do Top Gun? Also, did you check out the huge A-10 with the brrrrrrt and flares in that same Youtube group? Pretty awesome but out of my price range I'm thinkin".:Scared:

Comment

• Thanks! Not sure about Frank Tiano, but we do have a Gunsmoke event every year that is a Scalemasters qualifier event.
                                  Pat

Comment

• I have good news. I was able to tap the hole on the wing attachment 'tab'....and now it has threads. Whew.... I really did not want to re-work finished paint jobs.
                                    I have finished installing the landing gear upgrades. Have to put the plastic 'cowls' back on. Here is the almost done nose area....
                                    Getting close...

Stilgar

Comment

• NICE !Love it.... My hog is almost done will be sharing PICS soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stilgar99 View Post
                                        I have good news...Getting close...Stilgar
                                        SG99, Looking great. Glad to read that you overcame the wing mount issue. Not fun. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• SG99, glad to hear you solved the mounting screw issue. Your bird looks really sharp! Better keep it out of the sun though.
                                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X