Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
    Rob,
    Some guys use a rounded point to create a divet in the foam. I used a .093 dia aluminum tube, I sanded the end smooth and pressed and twisted it into the foam surface. You have to be careful not to penetrate into the foam. The .093 is just what I had on hand. If I were to do it again I would use .063 dia. Tubing.
    Here is a pic of how mine turned out.
    Hope this helps!!
    Anthony
    Thanks a lot for the Information, i will do it exactly like you told.

Regards Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by tirolguy View Post

Thanks a lot for the Information, i will do it exactly like you told.

Regards Rob
      Rob,
      This was my first EDF and foam plane. I used to be big into giant scale. Anyhow I have a FW F-86 due to arrive tomorrow. I will be giving the plane a lot of detail and a new paint job. I will sealing the foam with Polycrylic then using high fill primer to smooth out the surface of the plane. I am then going to add rivet details by using the tubing inserted into a low wattage soldering iron. Just burning into the primer and Polycrylic. Should make for better flush rivets. I will be posting in the F-86 thread if your interested.
      Later!!
      Anthony

Comment

• Took some time off from my F-18 to install my DD cockpit in. I have a couple other pic's I will post later. The pilot is from JHH and and it's the perfect size. The trench in the sides of the A-10 is 6mm square for carbon rods to add strength to the model in case of a hard landing. I copied the setup of RCSkunkWorksADP in the following videos; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fB35t7fRWc , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DnmqS-i0g ; I have also installed the mod main landing gear that FreeWing offers. If it's possible to still buy one of DD's kits you won't go wrong by getting one.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dustman, Great work, DM. and thank you sharing those vids. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• What I want to know is, what kind of paint has everyone been using on these pilots? I have tried Testers spray paint and it seemed to be alright, until I TOUCHED it with a fingernail, and it came right off! Then I used the water base AV Air model paint and it beads up like the surface is waxed! What now??

Comment

• Originally posted by Warthog View Post
              What I want to know is, what kind of paint has everyone been using on these pilots? I have tried Testers spray paint and it seemed to be alright, until I TOUCHED it with a fingernail, and it came right off! Then I used the water base AV Air model paint and it beads up like the surface is waxed! What now??
              WH, if you're writing about the JHH Pilots, I hear ya. I've washed those in soapy water and even solvent and whatever it is, acrylics don't stick well and enamels rub off. I now spray a black automotive primer from Krylon (Home Depot) and then use acrylic and/or enamel paints. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	245449
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee is right, for resins like these, use proper primer after a thorough cleaning (soapy water and toothbrush). I rinse and scrub the figure in water water afterward to ensure all the mold release is completely removed from every nook and cranny. Enamel primers are best.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thank you both! I thought I was losing it. I even tried wiping it down with lacquer thinner, after soap and water didn't work. I tried wiping with acrylic airbrush thinner. No go.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	3AC807DB-9773-48AA-88FB-39EBFD1DEA1F.jpeg
Views:	720
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	245525Click image for larger version

Name:	3BFB0B30-4E44-4C95-9B59-D0116F319E0E.jpeg
Views:	724
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	245524Click image for larger version

Name:	8003087B-4E34-4E2D-8A9B-5D3F2273E9B3.jpeg
Views:	733
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	245523Click image for larger version

Name:	812B3A19-77BE-4CF6-946E-BC8C0BC716C9.jpeg
Views:	687
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	245522Click image for larger version

Name:	BB331728-8F6D-427F-8F6B-8D6C9D632BD2.jpeg
Views:	723
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	245521Click image for larger version

Name:	0B8D5D42-9E85-441B-BFD1-F7392EAE625D.jpeg
Views:	698
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	245520 Thank you very much to gravity-tester! Was able to change up my ords little bit🤙🏽

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WH, if you're writing about the JHH Pilots, I hear ya. I've washed those in soapy water and even solvent and whatever it is, acrylics don't stick well and enamels rub off. I now spray a black automotive primer from Krylon (Home Depot) and then use acrylic and/or enamel paints. Best, LB

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	245449
                      I cleaned up the bad paint, and found some plastic primer. It went great!! Almost done with detail painting. Thanks to you both for your help. John

Comment

• WH where did you get the shinny visor from? I want to redo the one on my pilot.

Comment

• Glad you could put them to good use, Casey. That is one mean looking Hog! Now you just need a few rounds of 30mm combat mix and you're ready for battle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
                            WH where did you get the shinny visor from? I want to redo the one on my pilot.
                            DM, I used Model Master Gloss Black and a water color brush that holds a lot of paint. I started in the center of the visor and pulled the paint to the edges doing 1/2 at a time and always starting from the center. The brush never touches the visor, only the paint. It's almost like a drip that you manipulate to the edges of one side and then redip and do the other side. Gotta work quickly but not fast, if you know what I mean. I then laid the pilot on his back, visor facing up, and walked away leaving over night to dry. I have done all the visors on my pilots that way since. Hope this explains my process. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Can anyone recall when the attached pic of a Canopy operating mechanism was posted? Additionally, can this item be purchased? I appreciate any info on this interesting subject Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_212949.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	245730Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_213024.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	245731 . Bronco Mike

Comment

• I can't remember exactly when, where and by whom that canopy opening mechanism was posted, but I had the LX A-10 that had this feature in the stock plane. Banana hobby sells that A-10 under their brand "BlitzRCWorks". Here is a picture of that canopy open:

Name:	pr75417img41.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	245734

Banana also sells the mechanism: https://www.bananahobby.com/canopy-o...1576-prd1.html
                                You may be able to adapt it to this A-10. The other option is to invent your own based on what you've seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by walkerm45 View Post
                                  Can anyone recall when the attached pic of a Canopy operating mechanism was posted? Additionally, can this item be purchased? I appreciate any info on this interesting subject Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_212949.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	245730Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_213024.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	245731 . Bronco Mike
                                  WM, the only person I recall that had a video of an operating canopy was RCjetdude and Pogo. I believe those were both scratch-built. It would be very early in this thread say Fall of 2017. Hope this helps. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• The operating canopy looks professionally built. Very simple unit, and easily adaptable. Looks like a job for DD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WM, the only person I recall that had a video of an operating canopy was RCjetdude and Pogo. I believe those were both scratch-built. It would be very early in this thread say Fall of 2017. Hope this helps. Best, LB
                                      I think that mechanism shown is from the LX A-10 and I considered using it but decided adapting it would be as much work as making a more scale scratch built version. I scaled up parts from a Tamiya plastic model I have and fortunately it pretty much worked out the first time. Getting the geometry right with things like this is always challenging and of course "the devil is in the details". I wish I had .stl files to share for the parts but everything is made from wood, plastic etc. so...
                                      Here's the video first posted in 2017 showing the canopy gong up and down, up and down, up and......
                                      Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb9Z...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00536.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	245792
                                        Originally posted by Pogo View Post

I think that mechanism shown is from the LX A-10 and I considered using it but decided adapting it would be as much work as making a more scale scratch built version. I scaled up parts from a Tamiya plastic model I have and fortunately it pretty much worked out the first time. Getting the geometry right with things like this is always challenging and of course "the devil is in the details". I wish I had .stl files to share for the parts but everything is made from wood, plastic etc. so...
                                        Here's the video first posted in 2017 showing the canopy gong up and down, up and down, up and......
                                        Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb9Z...ature=youtu.be
                                        The LX used a jack screw and was junk. Been there done that.

Mike.
                                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Name:	DSC00536.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	245792

The LX used a jack screw and was junk. Been there done that.

Mike.
                                          Me, too. After looking at it out of the package, I labeled it and tossed it into my parts box, never to be seen again (until I threw out the box). It was, however, the only "manufactured" mechanism of its sort at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X