Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass ops can be a little rough on the structural integrity of the fuse. If you can grease your landings every time, then no worries. However, if you have the occasional "thump" of a landing, then consider reinforcing the fuse about mid-body with a carbon rod or tube or square. I epoxied a square rod about 12" - 15" long on each side of the fuse. There's even a channel on each side already in place as if it was designed with a rod in mind.

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk Waconut! What type of big birds are you used to flying? If you've flown anything in the warbird monoplane category, you should do fine with the A-10. It feels stable in the air. On landing, keep a little throttle on with the nose up a bit. Touch her down gently on the mains.

I'm with xviper in the carbon fiber in the fuse for stiffening. I used 5mm square about 17" long on each side.

Comment

• 33% WACO
        Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
        Welcome to Hobby Squawk Waconut! What type of big birds are you used to flying? If you've flown anything in the warbird monoplane category, you should do fine with the A-10. It feels stable in the air. On landing, keep a little throttle on with the nose up a bit. Touch her down gently on the mains.

I'm with xviper in the carbon fiber in the fuse for stiffening. I used 5mm square about 17" long on each side.
        I have flown many low wing sport models. My giant scale has all been classic birds Cubs and bipes. I just sold my 33% WACO and using the funds to get into electrics. I will try to post a pic of my WACO. It was a labor of love t build and detail. There is a nice video of it flying on YouTube, just search 33% Waco turn up the volume.

I will read through this thread to try and pick up on the necessary mods and also some great detailing tips.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
          Hi guys,
          I have been flying gas giant scale R/C and I am making the switch to smaller electric planes. I am considering the A10 for my 1st jet. I will be putting a 250ft grass strip in my back yard, will this be enough room for the A10?
          Thanks!!
          Anthony
          Welcome to Hobby Squawk, WacoNut. The Freewing A-10 was my first entry into EDF and jets in general. Had the JHH Phantom with all the proper requirements, but sold it due to change in marital status. I love my A-10, high quality stuff. Flies on rails and lands good when you fly it all the way home. Saw your Waco in another picture, beautiful work, Sir. Glad you're on board here. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            I think the range of 4000 to 6000 mah batteries is a recommended one and is dependent upon various personal preferences for performance and flight time. The 4000's can make for a lighter plane and hence, a bit more peppy performance, while the 6000's can provide for a longer flight time but with a weight penalty and possibly more work to get the correct CG. For example, I fly this plane on 5000's (middle ground) and typically, with the Gens Ace and Admirals, not problem. However, with the HobbyKing Heavy Duty batteries, I can't get the canopy to close when the batteries are located for the correct CG. Sure, I can auger some foam here and there and make it work, but I chose not to use the HD batteries. I think you could get the 6000's to work but it's going to take a bit of modding to make that happen. It sort of depends on how much you really want to use the batteries you've already purchased. Personally, if it were me, after spending that kind of money on batteries, I'd make them work even if it meant relocating something or extending the battery tray and strap. Your 4 batteries probably cost you almost what the plane costs. it would be a shame not to use them. However, if you have other planes that can use them and you can justify the addition purchase of lighter batteries, then sure. Just make sure you take note of the battery's dimensions and weight before you buy. Some 5000mah bats can weigh just as much, if not more, than some 6000mah bats - same principle applies in reverse. You can find 6000s that are small enough and light enough to work in this plane without too much modding.
            I found that if i stack the 2 - 6000's right in front of the control box, my CG comes in at 82mm. From what everybody say's it should fly and land just fine, thanks

Comment

Hi guys,
              I have been flying gas giant scale R/C and I am making the switch to smaller electric planes. I am considering the A10 for my 1st jet. I will be putting a 250ft grass strip in my back yard, will this be enough room for the A10?
              Thanks!!
              Anthony
              A-10 works very well on grass! And a 250ft strip is really enough.

Comment

• Hi Guys,
                I am going to place my order for the A10 tomorrow. Here is a list of what I am going to order with the plane. Upgrade Shock absorbing main gear, (2) Admiral 5000mAh 6S 22.2V 50C batteries, Eagle A3 Pro Gyro, Digital Battery Capacity Checker, GT Power Professional Servo Tester, Beacon Foam-Tac glue 2oz. I will be adding rivet and panel line details as well as a new paint job. Are the stock decals good or should I place an order with Callies?

I will also order some 5mm carbon fiber tubes to reinforce the fuse as recommended. I do plan on adding the Nerf Whistles as well. I am just getting into Electric planes so I am assuming the 5000mAh batteries will be sufficient for 3-4 minutes of scale flight? Let me know if you see any issues with the items I am ordering or if there is something else I should get.

Thanks!!
                Anthony

Comment

• Hi Anthony! Well, I would say a gyro really isn't necessary on this bird..She's extremely well behaved in the air, and if you fly her to the ground, the landings are truly a non-event. Now, that doesn't mean a gyro is a mistake...I just wouldn't look at this model as one that really needs it. Some do. This one, not so much. But it's all about how YOU feel safe flying a model.

The Admiral's are great batteries and those are the ones I use on this sweet bird. You can expect 3-3:30 minute flights on average. Dependable, strong batteries with decent low resistance that rivals any other batts on the market.

Upgrading the gear isn't a bad call. I upgraded mine and I saw a noticeable difference. Good luck and happy landings!
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I agree with Aros, no need waisting your money on a gyro for this hog, she flies perfect right out of the box, as for the stock gear, mine had lots and lots of flights on the stock gear, holds up very well if you ask me, unless of course you want the more scale look, I think it looks better though, its a heavy jet either way, use those big flaps and it's a baby to land.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips guys,
                      The Gyro is more for me to play around with, always wanted to try one in a plane. The maiden will definetly be done without the gyro.

I just placed my order so no turning back now. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I have to finish up a Dumas WACO and get it off my table.

Thanks Again!!
                      Anthony

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys,
                        The Gyro is more for me to play around with, always wanted to try one in a plane. The maiden will definetly be done without the gyro.

I just placed my order so no turning back now. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I have to finish up a Dumas WACO and get it off my table.

Thanks Again!!
                        Anthony
                        Well, you bought the best EDF ever made if I may say so, it flies that well, some guys had landing issues and some of us managed to figure it out before the bronco thing you surely have read about, your going to love it I'm sure of that, just stay on top of your approaches and don't fall behind on the power curve.......

Comment

• Would anybody be interested in trading a bomb for a twin missile rack?

i need another bomb lol
                          Attached Files

Comment

•  
                            BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Originally posted by Glazier808 View Post
                              Would anybody be interested in trading a bomb for a twin missile rack?

i need another bomb lol
                              May be you can take a look for some 3D printed parts!?

Just take a look at thingiverse:

Download files and build them with your 3D printer, laser cutter, or CNC.

Comment

• Hello peeps I’m new here to HS and am about to pull trigger on this beautiful bird, I’ve read up a lot on replacing the front landing gear but mixed reviews on if it fits, causing clearance issues etc. I can’t find a definitive answer, can some of you point me in right direction please?
                                Oh and in. A side note someone mentioned 3D printed parts my buddy makes a ton of stuff for RC racing community and I’m sure would be willing to make whatever someone would need if there was a call for it. LMK. Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrthog View Post
                                  Hello peeps I’m new here to HS and am about to pull trigger on this beautiful bird, I’ve read up a lot on replacing the front landing gear but mixed reviews on if it fits, causing clearance issues etc. I can’t find a definitive answer, can some of you point me in right direction please?
                                  Oh and in. A side note someone mentioned 3D printed parts my buddy makes a ton of stuff for RC racing community and I’m sure would be willing to make whatever someone would need if there was a call for it. LMK. Thank you
                                  WH, Firstly, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. As for the LG, the consensus is reverse the OEM mains and keep the OEM nose gear if you fly from hard surface. In the A-10 forum early on, there are many suggestions, I did as I wrote and have zero issues other than Pilot error. This model was my first re-entry back into RC flying and it is awesome, to say the least. If you'll check Thingiverse, there is a nose gear brace that your buddy could print for you. The brace works well. Also, check out cults3d.com for Dirty Dee's Cockpit Kit and Ordinance bits and pieces. He designs some great things for this A-10. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi Guys, I received my A-10 yesterday and I am impressed. This is going to be fun to detail. I am ordering a cockpit and other details from DD. I had a couple quarts of paint mixed for it today. I am going to replicate the paint scheme below. I have to work all weekend so progress is going to be slow.
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	11135D08-1281-4E80-A530-A72C29EE446B.jpeg
Views:	747
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	236575

Comment

• WN, great livery and I don't recall seeing that one done before. Enjoy your build. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• That is the only pic I have found of an AC with the scheme.
                                        it is definitely different from the usual schemes.

Comment

• Hi WN-
                                          Welcome to hog heaven. That's one dirty pig in the picture. Ha ha. So the 23rd fighter group at Moody AFB is the only A-10 squadron with the sharks teeth nose art. It's a little blurry but that insignia on the upper mid fuse (below the satcom antenna) looks to be from the 75th fighter squadron, the "Tiger Sharks". I am bringing all that up as you can probably find several other pics on the interwebs from that squadron and you might find what you are looking for. Standard A-10C colors are FS36375 (light) and FS36320 (dark). Too bad the AC number isn't on the landing gear sponson. That would almost solve everything. One more thing: If you are ordering graphics from Callie (the best) and you are OCD about scale, you might want to have her downsize the font a little bit. This model is almost but not quite 1/10th - more like 10.3-ish. Point is that some of the graphics might look a little big if you order her standard 1//10. Some care, most don't. That's what makes the hobby fun - to each his own. Anyway, enjoy the build and flying. It's a great airplane.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X