X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Raptor3596 View Post
    Finished up the 90mm A-10 this weekend. I was frustrated because my airbrush gun failed as I was almost finished. Resorted to brushing the last few patterns on the bottom under the nacelles.

I liked the Arctic Camo, but decided at the last minute to go with the "Flipper" scheme. The contrast was nice with the dark and light greys.

In order to achieve the same CG as I had before, I needed to stack the HRB 6000s ontop of one another for now, but offset a little. With the 80s I had 5000s lined up.

I flew it today, with 6000s and also with 5000s. The efficiency and power of these inrunners over the 80mm outrunners is very noticeable. At a 4 min flight time on the 80mm with 5000s, I was coming in at 30-40%, depending on throttle management.

With the 90s I was at half throttle most of the time, and cruising at near the same speed as the 80s at full throttle. The throttle was much faster and I had a vertical climb that wouldn't stop. I came in the first flight with "light throttle" around 3:30 to check the 6000s and they were at an impressive 64% still. Next flight I bumped up to 4:30 with more aggressive throttle and I was 51%. After running out of 6000s I swapped over to my 5000s and at 3:30, I was coming in around 50-55%.

Landing was much easier with the 90s. The added weight, needed constant throttle, which if you're like me and tend to throttle down to early, it teaches you fly all the way in.

Im so glad I did this swap. Now to find some wider batteries to disperse the weight a little more in the fuse.
    Outstanding report and great looking "hog", you are my new hero. The stock version is such a pleasure to fly and all I could think of was "how can it be any better than it already is", but after reading your analysis, I rescinded my initial wish list to Santa and changed it to twin 90's. Doubt it will get there in time and I did hear the sound of someone rolling on the floor laughing from all the way down here in South Florida, not a good sign. And BTW, those aluminum spinner caps look sharp! But I guess the real question is what does the top pilot in your family (obviously your son) think about the conversion.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Outstanding report and great looking "hog", you are my new hero. The stock version is such a pleasure to fly and all I could think of was "how can it be any better than it already is", but after reading your analysis, I rescinded my initial wish list to Santa and changed it to twin 90's. Doubt it will get there in time and I did hear the sound of someone rolling on the floor laughing from all the way down here in South Florida, not a good sign. And BTW, those aluminum spinner caps look sharp! But I guess the real question is what does the top pilot in your family (obviously your son) think about the conversion.
      The aluminum spinners do look cool. I sprayed a light coat of aluminum on the fan blades. Another contrasting color idea. I want to do the Nerf whistle mod, but I'm not buying two $15-$20 nerf balls just to tear out the whistles. Maybe the Dollar Store has some knock offs I can use.

My son's desire to get an A-10 for himself hasn't changed. As you can see in one of the photos, he took flight with it and had a constant grin. I'm trying to coax him into doing better in school with his distant learning Zoom schooling, that I have to say is absolutely damaging kids social skills and learning abilities. Kids need more social interaction than adults. Another conversation for another day though.

Maybe Motion or Freewing would "Poster" my son, and give or discount an A-10, showing a 13 year old can even "Maverick" this jet. He flies it inverted, which I still haven't mastered yet. I would put it on a credit card, but the wife saw all the Motion items I have purchased on the card since July. I'm not trying to sleep on the couch this winter.

Comment

• I know, I wish Motion would change their name on the boxes to "Acme Supplies"

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
          I know, I wish Motion would change their name on the boxes to "Acme Supplies"
          Good idea!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	coyote.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	291318
          Anyway, I was looking at MotionRC site and see that the newer 80mm jets come with an inrunner. The A-10 specification page says:
          2x 3530-1900KV Brushless Outrunner Motors w 9 blade fan

But the 80mm Mig-29 and the Avanti specs say:
          2x 3658-1920kV brushless inrunner motors w 9-blade fan

So an intermediate option might be to keep the same nacelles and just change to the new inrunner motors...? I would guess that the external dimensions are the same so they fit without much work, but I didn't verify that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

Good idea!

Anyway, I was looking at MotionRC site and see that the newer 80mm jets come with an inrunner. The A-10 specification page says:

So an intermediate option might be to keep the same nacelles and just change to the new inrunner motors...? I would guess that the external dimensions are the same so they fit without much work, but I didn't verify that.
            The A-10 came out quite a bit before the MiG. The later releases in the MiG era elected to go with the inrunners for more grunt. That's why the specs are different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

Good idea!

I thought about just upgrading to inrunners and staying 80mm, but I had a 90mm set up alread sitting on a shelf wanting to get put back into the air. Im curious to see the performance and power comparisons between a 90mm and 80mm inrunner set ups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raptor3596 View Post
                Got the 90mm EDFs put together. The 1900KV inrunner motors and 130amp esc fit perfectly. I wasn't sure about the aluminum spinner caps, but they add good contrast.

I found out I didn't need to purchase the esc mounts or the tail nozzles separately. They were included with the Nacelles.
                good stuff! Did you have to extend the esc battery wires at all or were they long enough stock?

Comment

• [QUOTE=flyAA;n291360]

good stuff! Did you have to extend the esc battery wires at all or were they long enough stock?

I did have to extend the battery wires and also added servo/throttle extensions since the control board is moved to the front of the fuse. I didn't want to use the same wires from the old ESC since it was size 12 and the 130amp ESC has 10.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Raptor3596;n291364]
                    Originally posted by flyAA View Post

I did have to extend the battery wires and also added servo/throttle extensions since the control board is moved to the front of the fuse. I didn't want to use the same wires from the old ESC since it was size 12 and the 130amp ESC has 10.
                    Thanks!

We’re the battery wires way too short before you extended them?

Comment

• [QUOTE=flyAA;n291404]
                      Originally posted by Raptor3596 View Post

Thanks!

We’re the battery wires way too short before you extended them?
                      Hard to say exactly how short. Just eying it, I saw it wouldn't reach the area under the cockpit. I would be guessing, but it was probably 6-8" too short. I picked up a roll of black and red silicone strand wire on Amazon for around $10. More than I needed and now I have extra for another job or charger wiring.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Raptor3596;n291421]
                        Originally posted by flyAA View Post

Hard to say exactly how short. Just eying it, I saw it wouldn't reach the area under the cockpit. I would be guessing, but it was probably 6-8" too short. I picked up a roll of black and red silicone strand wire on Amazon for around $10. More than I needed and now I have extra for another job or charger wiring.
                        Thanks for your help!

Comment

• So I just got the 1700mm A-10 with the 80mm I was thinking do you guys think it's a good idea to put in the AS3X?

Comment

• Originally posted by supermotovinny View Post
                            So I just got the 1700mm A-10 with the 80mm I was thinking do you guys think it's a good idea to put in the AS3X?
                            It's an "idea", neither good nor bad. It's a matter of personal preference. This plane flies so well, even in crosswinds and wind buffeting where a gyro would be beneficial, that a gyro isn't really necessary. AS3X implies a Spektrum receiver. If that's what you've already got, then go ahead and use it. If you've already got a receiver that isn't a Spektrum or doesn't have AS3X, then adding a simple, cheap gyro like the HobbyEagle A3L would be the next most reasonable way to go. However, if you are suggesting that you'd like "SAFE", which is associated with a Spektrum AS3X RX, that's another story. Is that what you want?

Comment

• yes, i have one but I was trying to getting it to work and it's just not working at all..I have use the AS3X in my other planes and i have had no problems but for some reason, it just doesn't want to take the AS3X. The other 2 planes that i have had it built on so I went out and got one more so I know there is a way to sent it up on my DX8e but cant seem to find it

Comment

yes, i have one but I was trying to getting it to work and it's just not working at all..I have use the AS3X in my other planes and i have had no problems but for some reason, it just doesn't want to take the AS3X. The other 2 planes that i have had it built on so I went out and got one more so I know there is a way to sent it up on my DX8e but cant seem to find it
                                Have you programmed it? It must be programmed to make AS3X work. Which RX is it? It must have SAFE capability if you want SAFE. If it's one that has "forward programming", then it can be done through a capable TX but I don't know if a DX8e is one of those. If it's not a RX that can be programmed via "forward programming", then you must do via a smart phone APP and a Bluetooth dongle.
                                The 636 series of RXs must be programmed via the smart phone APP. The 637 series and up can be "forward programmed". The RX must also be "open stock".

Comment

• The dx6e has forward programming so I assume the dx8e does too. And the 637T rx is a forward programming rx. After using different receivers with different methods of As3x programming, personally I prefer the forward programming capabilities.

Comment

• .deleted

Comment

So I just got the 1700mm A-10 with the 80mm I was thinking do you guys think it's a good idea to put in the AS3X?
                                      I can feel a big difference with AS3X on/off with my Avanti, but not so much with the A-10. It is quite a bit heavier and has higher moment of inertia around every axis.

One major caution here - for whatever reason, Spektrum has disabled programming over the USB cable and the smartphone app on newer AS3X receivers. The ONLY way to program these newer receivers is with a new transmitter. So be careful what you buy. If you don't have a Tx capable of programming Spektrum's gyro, then other options are a separate gyro, or a compatible Rx with integrated gyro (Motion sells both).

Comment

• ya i have done the update with the cable..Maybe i will just have to get a new TX lol...

Comment

ya i have done the update with the cable..Maybe i will just have to get a new TX lol...
                                          If your RX is not one that can be forward programmed, it doesn't matter what TX you have. Using a cable suggests to me that you are doing it with a smart phone APP. I've never found the cable to work all that well. The Bluetooth dongle is a much better way for the APP to talk to the RX.

Comment

Working...
                                          X