X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    If your RX is not one that can be forward programmed, it doesn't matter what TX you have. Using a cable suggests to me that you are doing it with a smart phone APP. I've never found the cable to work all that well. The Bluetooth dongle is a much better way for the APP to talk to the RX.
    So true xviper , I have to use the bluetooth dongle on all 25 of my older AR 636 receivers, which are not programable via the TX. The newer AR637T can only be programmed via a Spektrum TX and not with the cable or bluetooth thingy. With that said, the AR637T is much easier to program than it's predecessor, the AR636, where sometimes the cable worked, although the bluetooth does work better, but sometimes I just can't get it to pair. I either have to go have a drink and try later or a smart smack with a hammer has occasionally worked .

With all that said, I do have the AR637T along with a satellite in my A-10 and it is rock solid (but honestly does not really need it, but having it ain't bad either). If it helps supermotovinny, I have my rate gains cranked up to 50/55/60 (R/P/Y) on flaps up, priority 160, 60/70/80 on take-off flaps and 70/80/90 on landing flaps with no oscillations at full throttle in any configuration . I don't use any heading hold (except on some of the 3D planes) and I never use safe or program safe, but that's just me. A friend programmed safe into his 637T on his Mig and Gripen, which did help on the Gripen because it was difficult to follow the orientation at high speeds as it looks like a flying needle unless it's right in front of you. For the A-10, you don't necessarily need safe, but if it helps you relax a bit, go for it.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I may be wrong but I think when using the bluetooth tongle, you can get as3x but not safe.

Comment

• Hey Hugh Wiedman, what satellite did you use, I was thinking about putting one in mine

Comment

• Originally posted by steven gubala View Post
          Hey Hugh Wiedman, what satellite did you use, I was thinking about putting one in mine
          In the A-10 with the AR 637T, I used the SRXL2 DSMX Remote Serial Telemetry Receiver #SPM4651T and a 24" SRXL2 cable (which is 4 pins) #SPM9103. The remote I use for other jets that have the older AR 636 (F-4, F-18, F-16, etc) is the DSMX Carbon Fiber Remote #SPM9746 with 24" DSMX cable (not the SRXL2) and that is a 3 pin cable (#SPM9013). Hope I got the part numbers correct, just keep in mind the new 637T needs a 4 pin SRXL2 compatible cable and the older 636 just plain DSMX 3 pin cable. I think HH is out of the remote for the 637T, but they usually are and you can get them either on Amazon or I've gotten several of them from A Main Hobby (and other places as well). Not sure how necessary a remote is and I do not have any in my prop planes. On the other hand, I now have one in every one of my EDF's after learning of the higher RF interference that high output ESC's that are usually found in EDF's give out from GliderGuy. I also put in RF chokes (at his recommendation-especially in the A-10 with 2 ESC's) on all cables coming from the ESC and the other super important thing to do is keep the active portion of the antennae away from any carbon fiber tubes and ESPECIALLY as far away from the battery as possible. I located the remote all the way up front in the nose and the RX and it's antennae are as far back as possible behind the batteries. Always better to be safe instead of sorry! Hey, I don't need a signal loss to help me crash a plane, I can manage that task on my own without any additional help, thank you very much!
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thank you will check into this,

Comment

• Has anyone done a main gear upgrade to improve the plastic servo cases. With added weight of 90mm EDFs and 6k batteries, I think it's identified a weak point in the main gear. Any kind of downforce other than a smooth light touchdown on the mains, it forces the struts backwards and cracks the case.

Comment

• Just finished assembly of my A-10 and waiting till spring for the maiden. I do have a few questions:

1 - Elevator: do I need to do anything to adjust or set the angle or is the factory setting good and just set my rates from there?
                2 - Are the high/low factory rates good to start with?
                3 - Where are people getting the decals for the ordnance (not the stripes but the text nomenclature)?
                4 - the manual shows the CG way out on the wings, can I measure closer to the fuse?

Thanks and any other tips prior to maiden please feel free to share :)

Comment

• Originally posted by jseese View Post
                  Just finished assembly of my A-10 and waiting till spring for the maiden. I do have a few questions:

1 - Elevator: do I need to do anything to adjust or set the angle or is the factory setting good and just set my rates from there?
                  2 - Are the high/low factory rates good to start with?
                  3 - Where are people getting the decals for the ordnance (not the stripes but the text nomenclature)?
                  4 - the manual shows the CG way out on the wings, can I measure closer to the fuse?

Thanks and any other tips prior to maiden please feel free to share :)
                  1 - Set up by the book (about 5mm of "up" for neutral).
                  2 - Factory rates are good, adjust to your liking after maiden.
                  3 - The ordnance decals are available from me. I still have some sets available, $5 per set. PM me and I'll give you the ordering info.
                  4 - Yes, you can measure near the fuse. The book CG of 78mm is nose heavy. Most of us have it between 85-90mm.
                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    3 - The ordnance decals are available from me. I still have some sets available, $5 per set. PM me and I'll give you the ordering info.
                    4 - Yes, you can measure near the fuse. The book CG of 78mm is nose heavy. Most of us have it between 85-90mm.
                    Sent you a PM, thanks!

Comment

In case it helps, attached are a couple photos of balanced elevator, and I think the CG on this model is about 85mm. Also, I would recommend starting with lower throws than in the manual. A lot of Freewing/Flightline models have what I would consider high throws (at least for a maiden flight) in the manual. You can always go up if you find it too tame, but if you find it too erratic it might be your last flight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_094228.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	299507Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_094233crp.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	299506

Comment

• Heard a rumor (Facebook MRC customer community) that the A-10 and F-14 are now coming with the 80mm 1920 kv inrunners that are in the Mig. I don't believe everything I read, especially from those outlets, but that makes sense.

Seems MRC likes to upgrade the EDF's a couple months after I get an aircraft! Happened with both my F-4s, my F-16, and my F-18! And maybe now the A10. Already upgraded the others with the bank account breaker 90mm 12 blade 1835 kv inrunner (but what a great fan-go powerful and expensive or stay home). Including new afterburner cones for each and the fans I coulda got a Mig with all the extras. The A10 is staying pat with the "old" outrunners, kind of like the whine in this bird, as IMO, it has plenty of power as is and I already get 5 minutes on 2 RT 6250's, so if it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Brother Hugh I am with you. Still rocking the old outrunners on my A-10 and have no desire to upgrade. Like you, love the whine and the performance is just fine. As for inrunners, just assume every single Freewing jet we've carried will be coming out with a High Performance (inrunner) version to replace the outrunner version(s). I myself, as the man who publishes the product pages, doesn't even know ETAs until a directive is sent to me. So as a customer I am often flying just as blind as anyone else, lol.
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Aros thanks for the insight. I do appreciate the fact that MRC is doing their best to upgrade and stay ahead of the curve. You guys are definitely the gold standard as far as I'm concerned so this wasn't a knock on MRC by any means. We could see it coming when the question of outrunners vs inrunners was introduced some time ago and it's nice to know that you listen to your customers and act on it. Now if we could just get some huge EDF's with 10 minute flight times, I'd be in 7th heaven. No doubt it will happen in the future. Look how far foam EDF's (actually all foam aircraft) have come just in the last 5 years. What a great time for this hobby!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by steven gubala View Post
                              Thank you will check into this,
                              Here is a current link to the ferrite RF chokes. You will appreciate the variety.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4MMIBW...0DWYTPTEY0BYM7

Hugh is a good man for suggesting these. I lost a A-10 twice and an F-4 before adding these RF noise filters. I have not lost a HIGH CURRENT ESC bird since I started using them (loss due to loss of control that is). Search the forums for the words ferrite or RF choke or for my posts for info how/where to install them.

Note: Statistically significant: 2,000+ flights on an AL37, 1,000+ flights both on a MiG-29 and F-4 with RF chokes and no radio issues. Lost an A-10 twice and an F-4 once BEFORE using RF chokes. For a light, easy, cheap addition....I am convinced of their value. All losses were FAILURE to respond...lawn darts. All it takes is for the binding/handshake lookup table communication to be disrupted by RF noise and in you go. These radios are resistant to but not totally immune to system RF noise. I am pretty sure some of the MiG-29 losses that were not caused by flying fast with flaps down are due to not having installed RF chokes.

2nd A-10 loss was total (1st crash was repaired) ....haven’t gotten another, YET.

Working on AL37 #3 after hitting a lamp post with new AL37 #2. RF chokes don’t suppress pilot error. I retired AL37 #1....wore it out!

ALWAYS keep blue sky between the plane and ground obstacles, and you won’t hit them! Don’t do this and watch foam pieces flutter earthward. UGH!

-GG

Comment

• thank you GG , I personally never used, beside recently as you know , i never lost a plane in the air , i will look over those for sure.
                                Thank you for sharing !

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                  Brother Hugh I am with you. Still rocking the old outrunners on my A-10 and have no desire to upgrade. Like you, love the whine and the performance is just fine. As for inrunners, just assume every single Freewing jet we've carried will be coming out with a High Performance (inrunner) version to replace the outrunner version(s). I myself, as the man who publishes the product pages, doesn't even know ETAs until a directive is sent to me. So as a customer I am often flying just as blind as anyone else, lol.
                                  You do such a fabulous job with your explanations of products Aros! For you to explain an event or phenomenon is to identify its cause is exceptional. Almost like you can go into a mode others cannot. Great job, buddy! I'm reading again, I love the English language. Sometimes I wished I'd had their accent. Such a charmed company!

Comment

• Dear all,

This thread is full of resources and input! Like it. Thanks for all the great input. I just received my 80mm A10 2x weeks ago and could fly it the past 2x weekends for 4 flights. Wow & what a great plane to fly at the field! Awesome.

I had bad experience with part of the first waterslide decals I applied with them falling off the aircraft at the first takeoff. MotionRC EU quickly and kindly sent new ones to my house: well done Pete @ customer support!

Now I would like to do things properly and I have bought the Micro SET and Micro SOL formulaes. Just wanted to confirm with you that these products will be compatible with the paint & foam of my A-10. I only found 2 posts hardly speaking about these product in the search engine of this thread and would not like to mess up with this beautiful bird!

Many thanks & best regards,

Manu

Comment

• Manu,

Yes, Micro Sol and Micro Set are compatible with these planes. I have been using it for years.
                                      Pat

Comment

Manu,

Yes, Micro Sol and Micro Set are compatible with these planes. I have been using it for years.
                                        Many thanks for such a fast answer! I’ll get the ball rolling then. I think all my initial decals (for the ones remaining :) ) have suffered slivering...

Manu

Comment

• So I only use the Micro Set after applying decals. This helps the "snuggle down" to the foam. Afterwards I usually spray a few coats of clear to seal everything. My go-to for this was Testors (Dullcote and Glosscote), but it's all getting hard to find now. Otherwise it's Krylon 2X Clear Matte.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X