Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I have assembled my A-10 and I'm just waiting for the TL nose gear to show up and I'll be ready for the maiden. Just curious if the nose gear door should close when the landing gear is in the down position? The nose gear door closes when I retract the gear but it remains open when the gear is down. Is that the way it should be?

Thanks,

Jay

Comment

• Elbee
      Elbee commented
      Editing a comment
      I1, the nose gear doors remain open on the 1:1 Hawg. However, you can switch the position of the the nose gear door servo (open/closed) on the blue box to closed after gear deployment I think on the Freewing aircraft. Look at your options on your blue box. I know the later versions of the box offer several configs. Best, LB

• Thanks LB! I’ll take a look at the blue box

Comment

• Jay,

As Elbee said, the door stays open on the full scale. That said, I'd just leave it be as it works correctly out of the box.
      Pat

Comment

• Was looking at grabbing this airframe for a winter/spring detailed build. My whole plan was to weather the aircraft, detail it up to include the cockpit and then create a livery package for it to emulate the 354th Fighter Squadron (Bulldogs) out of Davis Monthan AFB. Sadly, as I have been reading, it sounds like these aircraft are all now arriving pre-decaled up. I am pretty sure I already have my answer, but is there any way to secure one of these "naked" with no livery installed? Anyone we can reach out to at Freewing to request this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Dizzle View Post
          Was looking at grabbing this airframe for a winter/spring detailed build. My whole plan was to weather the aircraft, detail it up to include the cockpit and then create a livery package for it to emulate the 354th Fighter Squadron (Bulldogs) out of Davis Monthan AFB. Sadly, as I have been reading, it sounds like these aircraft are all now arriving pre-decaled up. I am pretty sure I already have my answer, but is there any way to secure one of these "naked" with no livery installed? Anyone we can reach out to at Freewing to request this?
          There's "Alpha", who was the MotionRC guy who worked out of the Freewing factory but I haven't seen or heard anything from him for a long time, so don't know what's going on there. You might contact MotionRC customer service with your query. Can't say if anything will come of it but all you can do is try.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            There's "Alpha", who was the MotionRC guy who worked out of the Freewing factory but I haven't seen or heard anything from him for a long time, so don't know what's going on there. You might contact MotionRC customer service with your query. Can't say if anything will come of it but all you can do is try.
            Thanks for the reply. I will reach out and let you guys know of the response. LOTS of great info on this thread. Clearly have a lot of reading to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
              Jay,

As Elbee said, the door stays open on the full scale. That said, I'd just leave it be as it works correctly out of the box.
              Hey Pat,

Sounds good! I’ll leave it just the way it is. The voice in my head is saying don’t fix it unless it’s broke

Thanks,

Jay

Comment

Was looking at grabbing this airframe for a winter/spring detailed build. My whole plan was to weather the aircraft, detail it up to include the cockpit and then create a livery package for it to emulate the 354th Fighter Squadron (Bulldogs) out of Davis Monthan AFB. Sadly, as I have been reading, it sounds like these aircraft are all now arriving pre-decaled up. I am pretty sure I already have my answer, but is there any way to secure one of these "naked" with no livery installed? Anyone we can reach out to at Freewing to request this?
                Rick, don't let the preinstalled decals stop you from getting the A-10. When I bought my second one, which came with decals already on the ship, I was a little perturbed. I tried removing one, just to see how well it would come off. What a PITA!! So I just painted over them and applied a different livery from Callie Graphics.

Comment

RD, you can strip the whole airframe. The A-10 was my return choice to RC after many years away. I did not know any better and just stripped the paint off all the surfaces using acetone. Kind of a smelly process, but harmless to the EPA foam. I then added 3-4 coats of Minwax Polycrylic semi gloss and painted with Behr latex. It is a process, but what the heck it's a hobby, too. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looking on Callie Graphics site for livery... what scale is this 80mm airframe?

Comment

• 1/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                        1/10
                        Thank you!

Comment

• About to maiden the A-10 (after many months procrastinating on the paint scheme). Sorry, but instead of clawing my way through 560 some odd comments, can anyone direct me to the first few threads on how the maidens have gone...any info on results good or bad on fresh out of the box A-10 flights have gone. Thanks guys...

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyHerbAir View Post
                            About to maiden the A-10 (after many months procrastinating on the paint scheme). Sorry, but instead of clawing my way through 560 some odd comments, can anyone direct me to the first few threads on how the maidens have gone...any info on results good or bad on fresh out of the box A-10 flights have gone. Thanks guys...
                            Can't really direct you to some threads on maidens, but I do have a couple of suggestions that have worked out well for me.
                            1) Manual suggests to balance it at 78mm. Too nose heavy for me, start around 88-90mm. I fly mine at 95mm which allows for a slower landing with full flaps while keeping the nose up. The only real problem people have had with this is landing fast with nose gear hitting either first or simultaneously with the mains which will cause the nose to bounce up and end up bucking like a bronco down the runway, usually ending in disaster. Balancing it at 78mm IMO makes this happen more often, while going to 90mm or more makes it super easy to land. This aircraft will slow down much more than you would expect and can glide in on low power nicely.
                            2) Use about 4-6 clicks of up elevator trim with recommended flap deflections.

That's about it, this is actually one of the easiest EDF's to fly and land. Has plenty of power and flies scale at 50% throttle.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will reach out and let you guys know of the response. LOTS of great info on this thread. Clearly have a lot of reading to do.
                              In response to this...Motion RC replied as follows:

They are all shipping with the decals pre-applied. This was a decision by freewing.

Best Regards,

So looks like will be doing a repaint if I pull the trigger.

Comment

• Hey fella’s. So I installed the trailing link nose gear and I’m noticing the wheel will easily contact the gear door. Did I miss something or install it backwards? Here’s a pic of what it looks like when I push down on it.

Thanks,

Jay​

Click image for larger version  Name:	20BB3881-4A26-4AEF-A2DD-045DD689A2E4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	358331

Comment

• I think that's the way it goes. It's a "give and take" sort of thing. You have a couple of choices. One is to stiffen up the spring in the strut so it doesn't compress quite so much when it runs along a bumpy surface. Two is to stretch the spring on the door so the spring holds the door a bit away from the strut, yet still be short enough to pull the door fully closed when the gear is retracted.
                                  PS. One more choice. After I smacked the gear on a rough landing, the whole door broke off. I just left it off.

Comment

• Hey Viper, thanks for those suggestions. By changing this out, it solved 1 problem but created another .

I wonder if I rotated it 180 degrees if it would effectively still work?

Thanks,

Jay

Comment

• Originally posted by lt1pwr View Post
                                      Hey Viper, thanks for those suggestions. By changing this out, it solved 1 problem but created another .

I wonder if I rotated it 180 degrees if it would effectively still work?

Thanks,

Jay
                                      It's possible. The suspension will still work but look at the way the tire is behind the vertical line of the strut. If you turn it around, the tire will be in front of the vertical line and you may find ground steering to be very twitchy. You may simply turn your plane into a "wandering minstrel". Easy enough to try. Oh, and the tire may hit the top of the wheel well if turn around. See how much clearance you've got as is and decide if there's enough if the tire was turned over.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        It's possible. The suspension will still work but look at the way the tire is behind the vertical line of the strut. If you turn it around, the tire will be in front of the vertical line and you may find ground steering to be very twitchy. You may simply turn your plane into a "wandering minstrel". Easy enough to try. Oh, and the tire may hit the top of the wheel well if turn around. See how much clearance you've got as is and decide if there's enough if the tire was turned over.
                                        Ok sounds good. I'll take a look a the clearance in the wheel well. Wonder if I should just put the stock gear back on and take my chances on my grass runway. Hmmm...

Thanks,

Jay

Comment

Working...
                                        X