X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
    That could work if you're quick enough with both flight batteries. But if you're too slow on the second battery, the first ESC may go into programming mode. Easiest way would probably be to have a helper, and you both plug in a flight battery at the same time.
    Oh, I see. Yes, most ESC will only wait for "min" throttle for a certain period of time, and if they don't see it, then they go to programming mode. So if you want to range-set both ESCs, you have to be quick enough to not miss this time window. I didn't look up this specific ESC in the A-10, but others I have will enter programming mode after 5 seconds. So you have to be reasonably quick, but not supernaturally quick. Anyway, got it, thanks for the explanation.

Another way to address *only* the non-UBEC-ESC might be to plug the throttle cable for the UBEC-ESC into a different Rx channel, so it is powering the Rx, but not receiving throttle. For example the bind port has the signal wire weakly pulled high, weak enough that it can be pulled down by a bind plug, but when connected to a high-impedance input like the ESC throttle wire, it will be solid high. So it would have no pulses on it. Or you could use some other channel like the gear channel, and keep the gear switch set so that it looks like low throttle to that ESC. Then you can connect the actual throttle signal only to the non-UBEC-ESC, and program or range-set that ESC by itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
      Had a nice day flying at the field today and when I got home, I had a little present in the mail from Callie. Not sure what this is for but I'm guessing sometime in the near future I may end up joining Aros and his special little club.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_181224.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	266021
      My man, you can never go wrong with the Arctic Camo scheme! Can't wait to see yours!

Name:	done1.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	266049​​​​​​​
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Splat,

This will be something you want to get as well. Quickly check your lipos in the field.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Batte...6236638&sr=8-8
        Pat, I picked this up from MotionRC when I bought everything.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...and-discharger

Comment

• OK, good. Handy little devices for checking your lipos, and no field box should be without one.
          Pat

Comment

• I ended up picking up the 2 pack of HRB 6000mAh 50c's from Amazon. 150 for the pair; boy did I get taken on this spektrum stuff when I returned to the hobby a couple months ago. Live and learn. I will test the a10 with the new HRB's as well as my 5000mAh 30c spektrum batteries and see what's what.

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
              I ended up picking up the 2 pack of HRB 6000mAh 50c's from Amazon. 150 for the pair; boy did I get taken on this spektrum stuff when I returned to the hobby a couple months ago. Live and learn. I will test the a10 with the new HRB's as well as my 5000mAh 30c spektrum batteries and see what's what.
              I think you will be very happy with those HRB's. They were out of them recently, but after seeing your post I see the're back. I'll have to get some more of those myself. If you look in the Hobby Squawk category under batteries and a post I started recently called Lipo Wars, you'll see some testing on different Roaring Tops, the HRB 6000, the HobbyStar 8000 and the Admiral 6000 using an IR meter for actual C and tests on power draws with various outrunner and inrunner EDF's and you'll see how the HRB's did. I didn't test any Spektrum's because I think they are too expensive, no matter how good they are with all their extra features.

Long story short, I'm using the HRB's in all my inrunners and the RT 6250 35C in the outrunners only because they are 25g less in weight and give just a little extra mAh, but the HRB 6000 is right there, especially at that price and performs even better in the inrunners, so you won't be disappointed. The only thing I found was that in only one of the HRB's I purchased from Amazon, it tested out on the IR meter a good 15% worse (every single cell) on IR than the other 3. It charged fine, all cells up to 4.2 volts balanced, but also found it produced about 5-10% less mAh draw and Watts on a power meter when hooked up to an EDF and giving it full thrust. I immediately complained to Amazon, they sent me a new one next day air and a return package and I shipped it back to them, no questions asked.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• So FedEx will be dropping off a few boxes tomorrow, signature required...oh geeze my wife has to sign for them, yikes lol.

I stopped at Fred Meyers on the way home after work today and found a couple of NERF Vortex footballs with 2 whistles each for a total of 4. I've decided to go with the 122nd Wing Black Snakes livery as well for something a little different. Can't wait to open those boxes tomorrow after work, it feels like xmas eve lol.

Comment

• That's the best part about the hobby. It turns us in to kids on Christmas morning all over again. Enjoy!
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                    That's the best part about the hobby. It turns us in to kids on Christmas morning all over again. Enjoy!
                    Ain't that the truth, the toys just get more expensive the older you get lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post

Ain't that the truth, the toys just get more expensive the older you get lol.
                      Ain't THAT the truth!!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yeah, I thought Motion and Freewing were putting a real dent in my wallet, and then I got into turbines.
                        Pat

Comment

• Oh Pat. There goes the wallet.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yeah, I thought Motion and Freewing were putting a real dent in my wallet, and then I got into turbines.
                            So when I was stationed in Hawaii back in my Navy days there was a part of the base where guys flew out by our magazine areas and we'd have to occasionally chase them away when we were building because of HERO conditions and RF energy during ordnance events. Anyway a guy was flying this really nice turbine F-15 and my guys and I were watching him for a few minutes and letting him get some flight time before we had to tell him he had to pack it up. We he did a few cool aerobatics, put on a show for us because he knew we were watching and then the bird went strait and level and flew out to sea until we couldn't see it any more. We kept waiting for it to come back but the dude just hung his head after a minute, lowered his transmitter antenna, packed up his stuff and walked back to his truck by where we were parked. We asked him what happened and he said his radio must have locked out or got some interference from the base and he lost control of the bird. Asked him how much he just lost and he said about 15k! Hopefully it washed up on shore somewhere but even then it would probably be a total loss. I was like damn I'm never putting that much into a bird and here I go buying the most expensive foamie I've ever had lol.

Comment

Yeah, I thought Motion and Freewing were putting a real dent in my wallet, and then I got into turbines.
                              Pat, forget about a dent in the wallet with the turbines, more like a cramp in your retirement, or maybe your kids can just go watch their inheritance fly off into the wild blue!
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Santa...oh wait, FedEx!

Unboxed and made sure everything was there, no damage and all looks good. The batteries for this thing are HUGE! Installed a few NERF whistles in the nacells and started detailing the tail feathers before assembly. Are the decals all waterslide??

Name:	a10xmas.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	266661Click image for larger version

Name:	unboxed.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	266662Click image for larger version

Name:	whistles2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	266663Click image for larger version

Name:	whistles.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	266664

Comment

• Yes. Clean off the area before application and take your time and you'll be rewarded with some really good looking decals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post

Santa...oh wait, FedEx!

Unboxed and made sure everything was there, no damage and all looks good. The batteries for this thing are HUGE! Installed a few NERF whistles in the nacells and started detailing the tail feathers before assembly. Are the decals all waterslide??

Click image for larger version  Name:	a10xmas.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	266661Click image for larger version  Name:	unboxed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	266662Click image for larger version  Name:	whistles2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.8 KB ID:	266663Click image for larger version  Name:	whistles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	266664
                                    December came early for you this year. Hey, on that Futaba radio, you will more than likely need to reverse the throttle channel to get the ESC's to arm, I have a Futaba 7C that I fly with and all 15 of my Freewing EDF jets, I had to reverse the throttle, maybe you won't for some reason but if you run into problems trying to get them to work properly, you might want to try that. You will like that Futaba radio and rx, you don't have to worry about adding satelites and all that, it should work great in that A-10. I woud change out the battery holder on that radio though, get you a nice battery pack, I wouldn't trust that 4AA battery spring loaded tray, old school. I can message you my phone number if you need some help setting it up, I don't mind.??

Comment

• Thanks Corsair, if I run into any problems I'll for sure hit you up lol.

Comment

• Nothing like A-10 pictures for everyone to enjoy

Comment

• First, those are awesome pics! Great looking 'hog, almost looks real!

Second, grew up in West Jordan / Syracuse area there in Utah lol.

Comment

Working...
                                          X