Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They were never touted by MRC or Freewing to eliminate the tendency to bounce. I have only one flight on mine, off of grass, with the new mains and it did not bounce but I was able slow it down and set down on the mains first. I agree on the TI reverse strut mod. It works.

Comment

• I've put mine down pretty hard a couple times since going with the TL nose gear, and I've not had the dreaded bucking bronco scenario since doing that. I really do think the best bet on this jet is the stock mains with the upgraded nose and not the other way around.
      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
        I can safely say that the new mains oleos do absolutely diddly squat to stop the bounce landings LOL I'm using the original front nose gear and got a real bouncer on my last flight/landing which typically broke the pin in the trunion which means I need to repair my GAU 8.
        I'm not moaning as I prefer the look of them but they don't work as well as the T.I mod which does stop the bounce. I'm more annoyed that the pin snapped as if it just bent, the plane wouldn't be damaged.
        I've figured I just need to really concentrate on those perfect approaches and touch downs, or it'll bite!!
        The key to the bounce had more to do with the response and reaction from the nose gear, IMO. Changing out the mains wasn’t going to fix that. The oleo mains were more for aesthetics and for the hard surface guys.

TI’s mod apparently helped with the way the initial impact and response transferred to the nose gear. It too was brilliance!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

TI’s mod apparently helped with the way the initial impact and response transferred to the nose gear. It too was brilliance!
          Awe shucks:Nerd:

TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I keep posting this when bouncy gear comes up...

With the spring loaded struts, you should have the spring compress appx 1/4 to 1/3 of available travel with the plane sitting on the ground RTF. (battery in it)

You can adjust the spring tension by disassembling the strut,

add a plug to compress the spring more if the spring was over-compressed, leaving inadequate travel available.

Clip the spring (try 1/2 of a turn at a time) I grind it ff with a Dremel cut-off wheel) if there is too much tension.
            Alternatively you can replace with a weaker spring. the nose wheel usually requires a significantly lower "spring constant" than the mains (softer spring) because there's a lot less weight on the nose. (further from the CG than the mains)
            Some heavy duty grease can add some shock absorber value to aid in damping the bounce.

If you have dealt with RC cars you know there are assorted springs, spring spacers and shock oils available to adjust the bounce so you are not bottoming out and yet not driving a Pogo stick. Same basic idea.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• A-10 in the movies, once again. This is such an iconic attack jet!!

Unfortunately...well, just watch!

Comment

• Sky Wolf, Warner Bros. Blocked your video link! Damn I wanted to see it! :Angry:
                What movie is it from?

Comment

• Dang, that was fast. Sorry guys! It was from Rampage. The A-10was eaten by a giant croc.

Comment

• LOLLOLLOLGreat!!!
                    Another realistic aviation scene in a movie! I wonder when they’ll take it seriously and create a realistic movie, that’s historically correct, using today’s technology. I think the way I’d go about making the movie would be a compilation of historic air battles, not unlike the History Channel’s Dogfights series you can watch on YouTube. I would make my first movie on the life of Gabby Gabreski, so you’d have him piloting the P-36, 39, 40, Spitfire MK IX, P-47, P/F-80, F-86 and whatever else after that! Now I’d pay to see that in a theatre, something I quit doing after paying to see Redtails.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
                      Dang, that was fast. Sorry guys! It was from Rampage. The A-10was eaten by a giant croc.
                      You guys don't get giant crocs at your rc club??? You need to move to oz lol. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post

You guys don't get giant crocs at your rc club??? You need to move to oz lol. ;)
                        I can imagine, Shirty. There is way too much 'CROCK' at my club. ;)LOL
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                          At some point I will have to try it out. AMA doesn't really do me any good as a field owner. If there is ever a claim at my field, they let my homeowners insurance take the hit and they are conveniently in second place. When I found that out from my agent, that was the end of the AMA for me. As a flyer on a sanctioned field, that would be different of coarse. I miss the old Sportflyer days. Their insurance was much better IMHO. Sorry for the sacrilage but it's true.
                          Well that is completely true that AMA is secondary to Homeowners. But AMA is more than just insurance. They provide the safety code and sanction flying clubs on a national level, which fosters the safe operation of models in an organized fashion. Flying under AMA guidelines has important benefits - lately the AMA has made it possible for us to be exempt from new UAV FAA regulations. This is something they've been fighting hard for (we want to be able to operate our models under AMA guidelines instead of FAA regulations). I really don't want to take a test and get a license from the FAA to fly a model in my back yard. Because I abide by the AMA code, I don't have to. Washington is trying to change that and AMA is fighting it. Sportflyers had great insurance but did nothing as far as lobbying on our behalf.

I apologize for the threadjack. Let's get back to talking about how bad landings make the A10 bounce! I've found that with full flaps, the hog will come in slowly on tippy-toes and never bounce. You guys need to stop with the smashing 10G carrier landings!! I'm still on the original gear, never made any mods and its perfect.

The mods seems to be helpful, don't get me wrong. But it's also a good thing to let the hog slow down and glide in. Its not hard, this plane is very easy to land. Increase the flaps to full, all the way to the stops. Right before touchdown the motors should be at idle (or off), and the nose should be up, and it will just settle in like a feather. No bounce.
                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I agree with all of that themudduck. I am going to make a concerted effort to slow the hog down on landings and see if that does the trick. New mains on the beast for spring and although I haven't heard anything positive about them, I'm convinced that at least they will land like all my other planes which, in turn, will make the whole experience more predictable. Glad someone else realizes the shortfall with AMA insurance and I totally agree with their other attributes.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
                              I can safely say that the new mains oleos do absolutely diddly squat to stop the bounce landings LOL I'm using the original front nose gear and got a real bouncer on my last flight/landing which typically broke the pin in the trunion which means I need to repair my GAU 8.
                              I'm not moaning as I prefer the look of them but they don't work as well as the T.I mod which does stop the bounce. I'm more annoyed that the pin snapped as if it just bent, the plane wouldn't be damaged.
                              I've figured I just need to really concentrate on those perfect approaches and touch downs, or it'll bite!!
                              Sorry to hear about that.
                              I believe that the main culprit for that heel-toe bounce is the nose gear. It is too lively. The diff fluid has worked for me so well that i have no plans for getting the new trailing link nose gear. FYI I did soften my main springs a bit. I have had some really hot landings with no issues. No rodeo bounce.

Comment

• I'm going to give that a go! Thanks Itgordon00.
                                I fully admit that the last bouncing session was my fault, I was a little too hot and should have spooled up and gone around on the first bounce. Like I said though its annoying that the pin snapped rather than bent......

Comment

• To any of you who used a "wash" when weathering your A-10, does anyone have a particular shade or manufacturer that you thought was especially good for the smoke effect? I'm touching up last year's job and wanted something for panel lines and general smoke/dirt. Rob

Comment

• Hey, what replacement Pilot Figure are ya'all using for the A-10? I presume a 1/10th scale, but I'm uncertain. :Thinking: Assistance, please. Best, Elbee
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• 1/10th Jet Hangar Hobby is what most seem to be using

Comment

• DD, Thank you! LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
                                          To any of you who used a "wash" when weathering your A-10, does anyone have a particular shade or manufacturer that you thought was especially good for the smoke effect? I'm touching up last year's job and wanted something for panel lines and general smoke/dirt. Rob
                                          I used this with my airbrush:

Comment

Working...
                                          X