Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed. If you are referring to the Freewing A-10 viper pit on RC Groups, I fully concur. Ever since Tony left because of the nastyness, that was it for me. We might both be suffering from post forum stress.;) However, check out what's going on at Yellow Aircraft P-38 rebirth and conversion thread. That's a good example of a healthy supportive thread on RC Groups that I am involved with. Always loved your avatar BTW.
    Brad

Comment

• Speaking of battery consumption. This is what I have found using jeti telemetry.

From a grass field, taxi from pits to take off position eats up 100 mah.

Missing a landing and doing a go around and landing again consumes 800 mah.

I rarely use use full throttle since the A10 does not look scale at this power setting. Even take offs are performed at 60-75% power.

I find take off and landings fun and challenging to do right and often do entire flights of these. On 5000 mah packs, I can get 5 of these in per flight. My target is 80% of battery capacity.

Have no no idea of flight times since I switch over to mah consumed vs timer 5 years ago. But I’ll add a timer soon just to compare what you guys getting.

John
      Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

• Originally posted by john2kx View Post
        Speaking of battery consumption. This is what I have found using jeti telemetry.

From a grass field, taxi from pits to take off position eats up 100 mah.

Missing a landing and doing a go around and landing again consumes 800 mah.

I rarely use use full throttle since the A10 does not look scale at this power setting. Even take offs are performed at 60-75% power.

I find take off and landings fun and challenging to do right and often do entire flights of these. On 5000 mah packs, I can get 5 of these in per flight. My target is 80% of battery capacity.

Have no no idea of flight times since I switch over to mah consumed vs timer 5 years ago. But I’ll add a timer soon just to compare what you guys getting.

John
        Hey John,that's exactly what I'm hoping to get to as far as takeoffs and landings this spring if it ever stops raining. I've put the upgraded mains on and looking forward to honing my scale takeoff and landing skills. Good info about battery consumption. I still use the timer because it lets me know where to stop pulling back on the power for approach based on what percentage I set the timer to disengage. Still on the DX 9 but probably going to get the IX 12 for more telemetry. Love the Jeti but just can't part with that much cash. My credit card is already on fire.:Whew:
        Brad

Comment

• Best Friends Forever now...Love it!

And I love this forum. Everyone here is awesome!

Keep “HobbySquawk” Beautiful :) KHB

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
            Best Friends Forever now...Love it!

And I love this forum. Everyone here is awesome!

Keep “HobbySquawk” Beautiful :) KHB
            Goof Ball!!! LOL But it is true!! Everyone here is pretty awesome! This is my little place of sanity and peace when the rest of the world has lost its collective mind!!!! :Silly::Drooling::Angry:

Comment

• A gentleman's resolution, thanks to all. I continue to believe that we can each find and contribute to a meaningful online oasis. Just because we can't physically see each other doesn't mean we can't become real friends of mutual respect and concern.

Back to Hog talk:

Is there any interest in a 3DPUP cockpit? Anything else?
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                It really does depend on how you fly it. I can get 4 minutes out of it with my Admiral 4000s without too much of an issue. However, I enjoy flying it slow and scale, and even occasionally gliding. It still surprises me just how well it glides! I still mix it up with a few loops and rolls with a few blips of full throttle, but I don't stay there long.
                Plus 1 on how you fly it. Also depends on your battery condition.

Mike
                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                  A gentleman's resolution, thanks to all. I continue to believe that we can each find and contribute to a meaningful online oasis. Just because we can't physically see each other doesn't mean we can't become real friends of mutual respect and concern.

Back to Hog talk:

Yes sir! The cockpit & any ordnance...

Comment

• Alpha, a Cockpit and Ejection Seat for the A-10 would be outstanding. I expect delivery of an A-10 today and the mods will begin immediately. Tango Yuma, MotionRC.
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Drop in cockpit would be great. Optional mechanism for operable canopy would be even better or at least the hinge mechanism for the canopy directly behind the ejection seat. Several have done it but it's allot of work.

Comment

A gentleman's resolution, thanks to all. I continue to believe that we can each find and contribute to a meaningful online oasis. Just because we can't physically see each other doesn't mean we can't become real friends of mutual respect and concern.

Back to Hog talk:

Pardon the French, but HELL YEAH.

In the meantime.... lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	127078
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	127079
                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Very cool, but a lot of work!!!! It should be great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                            Very cool, but a lot of work!!!! It should be great!
                            Wow, quite a clean project there. Cound not help but notice the cortex. I just started flying air plane flight stabilizers that work very well this winter in a EF Turbo bushmaster. Amazing how these electric gizmos work so well together now. I can’t control the wing rock of my A10 but know a decent flight controller will help.

Have you flown the A10 with and without flight stabilization? Electric or turbine version.

John
                            Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

• Starting to take shape Jan... great job on the tank install, was wondering how you would go with that. Looks heaps of room still for your powerbox etc. Gotta say I'm really looking forward to vid of it flying.

Comment

• I'm wondering about the c.g. Without the batteries to balance and the turbines probably being heavier......Hope that works out O.K.

Comment

• 3d printed pilot and ejection seat.

Comment

• [QUOTE=ColtPilot; printed pilot and ejection seat.[/QUOTE]

Very well done, sir!:Cool: Would you consider sharing 3DP files at some point in time?
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hardway: Thanks :-)

John2kx: Yes, I have flown mine both with and without a gyro. Installed it primarily for nose wheel, but cleans up flight in bumpy conditions too. About 20 flights without, another 145 with. Only electric this far (on this model)

Shirty: Thanks, me too :-)

downwindleg: CG is a bit of a challenge for turbine A-10s in general, for the exact reason you mentioned. The important thing is to keep turbines light and as far forward as possible (why I use thrust tubes rather than aft mounted turbines), and move all the other fixed payload as far forward as possible (in my case the air trap, pumps and batteries). My turbines weigh less than the fans + escs. CG will be fine, with auw about the same, probably a little lighter.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Very well done, sir!:Cool: Would you consider sharing 3DP files at some point in time?
                                        Would if I could. I made the purchase from England at $65 painted and delivered. They can make what ever scale you want and put your face to the pilot also.

Comment

Absolutely YES!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X