Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I installed the new TL nose gear and focused my attention on landings yesterday. My field is grass (fairly short but not manicured by any means).

Must have landed 15 times and expereced no bouncing at all. Touch and goes were also performed without bouncing as well.

The one one problem I did notice was too much compression of nose gear during first stage of take off run. Limiting power to 50% until I could get the nose light by holding about 1/2 up elevator did eliminate tire contacting rear gear door but does require a completely different approach to the take off run. I could see the nose go down when this occurred if I was close enough but could see the braking effect every time it happened. I’m really surprised the door did not come off.

Thinking about putting a piece of fuel tubing around solid tube to limit amount of compression before flying it again. CG is at 86 mm, so I assume being nose heavy is not my issue.

Also noticed front nose door does not close all the way. I did have a pretty hard landing during my maiden that may have bent pin attached to retract rearward, causing this issue. Door is cracked open about 1/8” in front portion of door.

I will say the gear swap swap was a 100% improvement over my first three flights.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CE01EDE0-B560-42DE-B951-237A079149B9.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	123901
    Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

• Had my A10 maiden last night. Flew 4:50 on 2 Admiral 6s 5000. Winds were a little higher than normal at about 15mph. No issues with flight at all other than requirement for some up trim once in the air. Did have a minor bounce on the landing but i think it had to do more with heavy crosswind and low landing approach speed than anything else. Almost entire flight was at 1/2 throttle and I was very happy with the way it handled. Produced a really good sound in the air. Additionally, I am exceptionally pleased on the ease of the wing removal/installation and the universal plug. Overall, in my opinion, this is going to be a great flying plane!

Comment

• Huge Congrats Jerry on your successful maiden and flights! This is an incredibly awesome bird. :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by john2kx View Post
          I installed the new TL nose gear and focused my attention on landings yesterday. My field is grass (fairly short but not manicured by any means).

Must have landed 15 times and expereced no bouncing at all. Touch and goes were performed without bouncing as well.

The one one problem I did notice was too much compression of nose gear during first stage of take off run. Limiting power to 50% until I could get the nose light by holding about 1/2 up elevator did eliminate tire contacting rear gear door but does require a completely different approach to the take off run. I could see the nose go down when this occurred if I was close enough but could see the braking effect every time it happened. I’m really surprised the door did not come off.

Thinking about putting a piece of fuel tubing around solid tube to limit amount of compression before flying it again. CG is at 86 mm, so I assume being nose heavy is not my issue.

Also noticed front nose door does not close all the way. I did have a pretty hard landing during my maiden that may have bent pin attached to retract rearward, causing this issue. Door is cracked open about 1/8” in front portion of door.

I will say the gear swap swap was a 100% improvement over my first three flights.

Click image for larger version Name:	CE01EDE0-B560-42DE-B951-237A079149B9.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	123901
          That's an interesting report on your experience with the new NG. I'm curious if anyone else will have the same result of the compression being so sensitive and how far down it travels?

Comment

• I semi-successfully maidened my A-10 yesterday. Shortly after takeoff, my right aileron started glitching. I was able to make a couple circuits to get her mostly trimmed, then brought her in for a two bouncer landing (I landed a bit hot, which wasn't totally unexpected on this problematic maiden flight). Troubleshooting on the ground found that the right aileron was glitching while the motor was running, but not when the motor was off. I plan to do some more troubleshooting, to determine exactly where the problem lies. I'm hoping that it's not the servo. i'd hate like hell to have to rip out the servo from a brand new wing. Whether or not the servo is bad, I will probably bypass the circuit board and plug my ailerons directly into RX, and will probably run them as split (non- Y'd) ailerons.

Chuck
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
              I semi-successfully maidened my A-10 yesterday. Shortly after takeoff, my right aileron started glitching. I was able to make a couple circuits to get her mostly trimmed, then brought her in for a two bouncer landing (I landed a bit hot, which wasn't totally unexpected on this problematic maiden flight). Troubleshooting on the ground found that the right aileron was glitching while the motor was running, but not when the motor was off. I plan to do some more troubleshooting, to determine exactly where the problem lies. I'm hoping that it's not the servo. i'd hate like hell to have to rip out the servo from a brand new wing. Whether or not the servo is bad, I will probably bypass the circuit board and plug my ailerons directly into RX, and will probably run them as split (non- Y'd) ailerons.

Chuck
              I had this exact same problem in my A4. Servo glitched only when power applied. I replaced just the servo and no issues since. I have had good success with all the various boards, just a bad servo occasionally, and even that is rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
                Wow .............. Norway! If you don't fly in the cold, you don't fly at all. :Cold:

Comment

I got to fly my A-10 for a few, final electric flights this weekend at the first rc meet of the season. -17C cannot stop determined pilots lol. Flights 159-165 done without drama of any kind

Turbine conversion next.

https://youtu.be/rwduIUiO8tQ
                  How do you guys manage your batteries and flying time at that temp? I lose a lot when the temp drops, and I don't have onboard telemetry, so it gets too dicey for me! Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                    I semi-successfully maidened my A-10 yesterday. Shortly after takeoff, my right aileron started glitching. I was able to make a couple circuits to get her mostly trimmed, then brought her in for a two bouncer landing (I landed a bit hot, which wasn't totally unexpected on this problematic maiden flight). Troubleshooting on the ground found that the right aileron was glitching while the motor was running, but not when the motor was off. I plan to do some more troubleshooting, to determine exactly where the problem lies. I'm hoping that it's not the servo. i'd hate like hell to have to rip out the servo from a brand new wing. Whether or not the servo is bad, I will probably bypass the circuit board and plug my ailerons directly into RX, and will probably run them as split (non- Y'd) ailerons.

Chuck
                    Replace the servo. Don't risk it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

How do you guys manage your batteries and flying time at that temp? I lose a lot when the temp drops, and I don't have onboard telemetry, so it gets too dicey for me! Rob

Keep the batteries warm. It might be as simple as keeping them in a pocket/pouch inside your coat. 90 deg F is good. When 20C was the highest you could get, people warmed their batteries to 120F just before flight of a model with high current demand, because it gave noticeable improvement to max power. (you don't want them to go above 140F EVER....)

Yes, LiPo loses capacity and ability to deliver current when cold, so you don't want them to be cold when you put them in the model. The foam will keep them from cooling down rapidly and self-heating under high current will help during flight.
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

Unless you leave your batteries outside in the cold, they don't get that cold when they stay inside the car till needed. On a sunny day, the interior of the car stays pretty warm due to the greenhouse effect. Once you put them in the plane to fly, they don't really get cold. Remember, they get warm during use. In an EDF, they get used quite strenuously. Even in my prop planes, the batteries don't get that cold in winter. The only ones that might get cold are the ones used in my sailpanes and even those get a good power up every few minutes. In many instances with the sailplane, once up high, the temps can be actually warmer than at ground level and clearer skies allow the sun's radiation to warm up the battery compartment.
                        BTW, I flew my ROC Hobby 70mm Super Scorpion a few days ago. It was -4C out at the time. Use that same method of keeping the battery in the car till needed and the plane blasted through the sky no different than during a hot summer day.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          Wow .............. Norway! If you don't fly in the cold, you don't fly at all. :Cold:
                          This is definitely the truth this time of year. Snow has been a far bigger issue this winter though. Got 1.5 meters of the darn stuff.

As far as batteries goes, we obviously keep them indoors during night. During the day you can either keep them heated in a car, inside the jacket or anything along those lines. You definitely want to avoid them getting really cold for sure, especially right before flying.

On a completely different note, I am converting my hog to turbine power. For anyone interested in following the build, I will post updates and pictures on the following facebook page. It should be viewable with or without an account.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

This is definitely the truth this time of year. Snow has been a far bigger issue this winter though. Got 1.5 meters of the darn stuff.

As far as batteries goes, we obviously keep them indoors during night. During the day you can either keep them heated in a car, inside the jacket or anything along those lines. You definitely want to avoid them getting really cold for sure, especially right before flying.

On a completely different note, I am converting my hog to turbine power. For anyone interested in following the build, I will post updates and pictures on the following facebook page. It should be viewable with or without an account.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

And here I thought build season was in the winter?! Looking forward to see this conversion.

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post

And here I thought build season was in the winter?! Looking forward to see this conversion.
                              Would have started a bit earlier, but had a few weeks to wait for my engines. Made me able to fly my favorite model at the first meet of the season anyway, and got tons of time now before the season really kicks in, so worked out just fine :D

Comment

Would have started a bit earlier, but had a few weeks to wait for my engines. Made me able to fly my favorite model at the first meet of the season anyway, and got tons of time now before the season really kicks in, so worked out just fine :D
                                Can wait to see and hear about the conversion!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry's Flying Circus View Post
                                  Had my A10 maiden last night. Flew 4:50 on 2 Admiral 6s 5000. Winds were a little higher than normal at about 15mph. No issues with flight at all other than requirement for some up trim once in the air. Did have a minor bounce on the landing but i think it had to do more with heavy crosswind and low landing approach speed than anything else. Almost entire flight was at 1/2 throttle and I was very happy with the way it handled. Produced a really good sound in the air. Additionally, I am exceptionally pleased on the ease of the wing removal/installation and the universal plug. Overall, in my opinion, this is going to be a great flying plane!
                                  Congrats Jerry - excellent job! Can't wait to maiden mine as well (as soon as I get steady temps above 50, I'll give it a go).

Regards,
                                  Jim

Comment

• Folks:

Just got an e-mail from Motion RC that the upgraded Nose AND Main gears are in stock!!! I already received my TL Nose Gear, so I am good to go. In reading through most of the posts here, I may not need the main gear since I fly from grass. I guess we will see after I maiden her soon! Just wanted everyone to know they are back for sale at Motion.

Regards,
                                    Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post
                                      Folks:

Just got an e-mail from Motion RC that the upgraded Nose AND Main gears are in stock!!! I already received my TL Nose Gear, so I am good to go. In reading through most of the posts here, I may not need the main gear since I fly from grass. I guess we will see after I maiden her soon! Just wanted everyone to know they are back for sale at Motion.

Regards,
                                      Jim
                                      Indeed they are! Just ordered a set of straight mains - want those rather than trailing links, most of all since I will be using wheel brakes, something that works better with rigid legs than trailing links.

Comment

• Dito!! Unless it was a mirage, I finally got the mains ordered 10 minutes ago. WOOHOO!!! Hey Anthony, you and Steve are off the hook.LOL

Comment

• Ha! Now let’s hope I get mine in too. My order had to be canceled because the system didn’t catch that it was out of stock when I hit the buy button. They are supposed to remember to get mine out on the first run.

Glad you were able to get them ordered Brad.

Comment

Working...
                                          X