Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, check out this short 26 second video to see what a BRRRRRRRT does to a Taliban pickup truck!!

This was taken about a month ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=AJX4j0TDiEE
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Finally have something to show for my cockpit modification efforts. This should also solve the gatoring issue.

Comment

• FYI: I just received my Hobby King 760mm long wing bags and they DO fit the A-10 wing with weapons pylons mounted but without the weapons mounted. You need 1 wing bag for each wing section. The 3 sizes HK advertises differ in length and width but they all have the 70mm height which is why you need 2 bags. At $10.00 per bag the $20 investment seems to make sense.
        Indy Damnbeenie

Comment

• Hey guys, I know this is not something for our A-10's but I just saw this for EDF models of aircraft with after burners!! Check it out!! Rob

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the new CenterBurner simulated afterburner system! This whole concept was conceived by my friend Air-Jon and wor...

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
            Hey guys, I know this is not something for our A-10's but I just saw this for EDF models of aircraft with after burners!! Check it out!! Rob
            Yep, big thread for it here already: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...r-light-system

Pat

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not really a jet guy other than the A-10 but if I ever did an F-22 I would have to have those for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                Finally have something to show for my cockpit modification efforts. This should also solve the gatoring issue.
                Hey Dirty Dee, those cockpit parts look great! How did you make them?
                Brad

Comment

• I drew them up on a CAD program then 3D printed the parts off

Comment

• Are you going to do the ejection seat and the rear deck as well? May need to get some copies of those.:Cool:
                    Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                      Are you going to do the ejection seat and the rear deck as well? May need to get some copies of those.:Cool:
                      Brad
                      Yup, working front to back at the moment with the parts. Crossing my fingers that the window frame will work with minimal re-printing/modifying.

Comment

• I don't get what supports this after you cut out the old stuff? Is there some kind of understructure across the bottom of the canopy piece (I sure don't see any)? Do you build the new section on a flat piece of balsa? Rob

Comment

• It just sits slightly under the existing foam surface. I'm not completely gutting the canopy

Comment

• Very cool DD. So are you making a canopy frame to outline the "glass" for more realism? I'm sure it's hard to know where to stop right?

Comment

• Yea, that's the plan. I basically destroyed my canopy to get measurements for the frame outline, but it's not going to be a guaranteed fit with all this work. After my frame prints out, ill have to dry fit the part and find all the spots that need to be tweaked. Modify the model , print, repeat.

Comment

It just sits slightly under the existing foam surface. I'm not completely gutting the canopy
                                Now I get it...thanks DD! I'm not that ambitious, but the 3-D thing sure seems to open up a world of possibilities! Hopefully that will make its way into the manufacturing process more and more and we'll see it as stock someday soon. Rob

Comment

Yea, that's the plan. I basically destroyed my canopy to get measurements for the frame outline, but it's not going to be a guaranteed fit with all this work. After my frame prints out, ill have to dry fit the part and find all the spots that need to be tweaked. Modify the model , print, repeat.
                                  Wow, quite the process. Glad to see your sticking with it. Seriously, I and others I'm sure will gladly pay for copies once you get it all worked out. So tired of the gator thing after detailing the stock version and having it look like bubble wrap after a day or two in the sun! Like Rob said, hope this becomes stock on future planes....or at least an option so there's not too much whining about expensive planes. There has to be a middle ground somewhere between cheap foam and more durable materials in key areas don't you think?
                                  Brad

Comment

• Yea, I'll definitely be willing to print a few sets at a reasonable price for people to offset the time/money spent on these upgrade parts. From the looks of the F4 thread, they are using that plane as a start for 3d printed interior parts to help against gatoring and add more detail. Not sure what extent and timeline they plan to go back to the current product line to do the same.

So I seemed to have some something right, because the frame is pretty close to the correct shape. Two more iterations and I think I should have a proper fit. my printer seems to have freaked out around the thin sections, so I'll have to do some changes to fix that.

Comment

• Dude! That's amazing!! Are you programming all that into a CAD design using code, or are you using a reverse engineering by scanning something for the dimensions??? Rob

Comment

• Thanks! Reverse-engineering by taking a pair of scissors to the canopy, and then tracing on a paper to get the rough cross sections :P . Use those along with some reference pictures to get the rest of the shape. also lots of measurements with calipers.

I originally tried to cast a plug inside the canopy, but I messed up and had to go the destructive route.

Comment

• It's shaping up pretty sweet. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                          X