Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I'm sure there is a better way to post these videos:Thinking: but if anyone is wanting to see them before I get further help, just type in youtube DSCN 2892 canopy mechanism and it should come up and the followup video with the canopy will be visible over on the right. I just tried it from my work computer and it worked. Please bear with me 'til I get more help from Todd. Thanks,Brad:Goodbye:

Comment

• It took some doing but I found the video.

LX A-10 canopy mechanism without canopy part 1

Here is the video with the canopy on.

LX A-10 canopy mechanism with canopy part2

Nice work Brad!

Comment

• Thanks dkalwishky for going to the trouble. This is just a starting point for the Freewing A-10. I will be getting a spare canopy/cockpit when they become available so I can experiment further. I'm thinking a flat piece of aluminum strip about 3/8" x 1/16" formed to the leading edge of canopy to reinforce it but also to extend past the underside of the leading edge of the canopy about 3/16" to tuck under the trailing edge of the windscreen. This way you would still have the lap of the two parts for strength and the leading edge of the canopy would butt up against the trailing edge of the windscreen, like the real deal,instead of tucking under it like in the video. I'm all ears for other ideas, Brad

Comment

• Nice job Brad! That could make for a sweet mod!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• YES it Does...I still have the entire canopy from my L.X. too. Not to be done immediately, but this HAWG deserves an operating canopy, therefore it shall have one....If it ever gets here....?

Comment

• That is SWEET! Hat's off to you sir....

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                Thanks dkalwishky for going to the trouble. This is just a starting point for the Freewing A-10. I will be getting a spare canopy/cockpit when they become available so I can experiment further. I'm thinking a flat piece of aluminum strip about 3/8" x 1/16" formed to the leading edge of canopy to reinforce it but also to extend past the underside of the leading edge of the canopy about 3/16" to tuck under the trailing edge of the windscreen. This way you would still have the lap of the two parts for strength and the leading edge of the canopy would butt up against the trailing edge of the windscreen, like the real deal,instead of tucking under it like in the video. I'm all ears for other ideas, Brad
                Thanks for making the videos Brad! If that LX mechanism is reliable (motor and switches mostly I guess) I think it'll be the ticket. I would probably consider bolting the "shoe" (as you call it) to the canopy shelf for adjustment or removal, if possible. An alternative to a bent aluminum frame would be laminating say, 5 layers of 1/64" ply into the canopy, as i did with the Hornet- it takes to the shape without distortion and is light and stiff.. Thing about using the ply is it builds up to a "scale" thickness- I think you'd find 1/16" aluminum hard to work with. I think your idea of overlapping edges to lock the canopy down is really good and possible with the way this mechanism works. Anyway this is all a ways away, but it's fun to plan, huh? (or should I say eh?)
                Tom

Comment

• My Hobby King wing bag arrived today and have to say I'm impressed by it. For the price it seems to be very well made. Hope it will fit the wings of the A-10 when we finally do get them.
                  Thanks again for the heads up on that one T-cat. :Cool:
                  My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Mine showed up today as well! Where is that darn button??

Comment

• Can you please flip us the part number please so that when we order ours its sold out....lol

Pete

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
                        Can you please flip us the part number please so that when we order ours its sold out....lol

Pete
                        My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Tip of the hat....thanks guys !

Pete

Comment

• Mine showed up today too! :)
                            Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Thanks again . 25 bucks shipped to cally.
                              not bad at all....literally covered.

Pete

Comment

• You're welcome guys! Mine arrives last week and they truly are an AMAZING value for what you get. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test fit them in the near future at the field. It's doubtful a better quality bag for the price could be found easily, or at all. Ha-ha

Comment

• Thanks all for the feedback on the operable canopy. Tom, I like the idea of laminating 1/64" plywood. In either case, I'm thinking of tracing the outline of the leading edge of the new canopy for the shape, after making a careful cut to separate trailing edge of windscreen from leading edge of canopy, on to paper and then cutting out that pattern with the small band saw from aircraft ply that's say 1/2" thick. Then use that as a form for the aluminum,1/64" ply, or unobtainiumLOL.Then that shape could be glued to the underside of the leading edge of the canopy. The biggest problem I see with the LX setup was that the side rail slots that the shoe pins slid in were just glued to the foam. If you notice in the first video looking down on the shoe, I had to glue a balsa shim between the right rail and the foam to tighten it up. So I'm thinking that those rails should be mounted on a ply tray so that it doesn't get sloppy with cycles. Tom, I also like your idea of attaching the canopy with screws rather than glue for adjustment purposes. I would love for this to be a group effort. The current setup has about 50 cycles so far. Just thinking out loud:Thinking:Brad

Comment

• Brad that canopy mod is something I'm really interested in doing. Can you share what servo or gear are you using to open it up? ie servo is from? and did you fabricate the connecting arm from styrene or? Thanks, and again, this is way to cool not to try!
                                    Jim

Comment

• Hey Clearblue, happy to help. That's why I posted the video 'cause a picture is worth a thousand words. The cockpit/canopy I posted is a Frankensteined unit from a destroyed LX A-10 from years ago. I reconstructed it enough, with some modifications, to demonstrate what could be possible on the Freewing A-10. The mechanism is still available at Banana Hobbies. It is from the Blitzworks A-10. You can get the screw jack assembly with the connecting arm and shoe as well as the rails that the lower part of the shoe fits into for $18.00 The upper cockpit is $9.95 and the front/back canopy is $12.95 if you want to put the whole thing together like I had in the video. I would warn you that, unless you already have a functioning example, it's going to be hard to figure out what goes where. I talked to Alpha earlier in the thread about doing this but he didn't think it could be cost effective. He had one of the LX A-10s as well and wasn't impressed with the durability of the canopy system. I think it can be modified to work on the new A-10 and I'm going to try, hopefully with some help, to make it work- after I fly it for awhile of course. Brad

Comment

• Pasta is good but A-10 is freakin YUMMY!!!! ;)

Comment

• Post that preorder, I've got funds put aside for this and the Spit and it's burning a hole in my PayPal.
                                          TiredIron Aviation
                                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                          X