X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you trying to rip the wings off?

Honestly, on 6S this thing is already fast, and way faster than scale.
    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      Are you trying to rip the wings off?

Honestly, on 6S this thing is already fast, and way faster than scale.
      LOL... I already have dual set of 12S 90mm EDFs. Just looking to see if anyone had done it before I try it.

Comment

• Only other thing I've seen is a few guys upgrade to the 90mm fans, but still on 6S.

I did however put a 12S JF90 in my F-22, and it screams!
        Pat

Comment

Only other thing I've seen is a few guys upgrade to the 90mm fans, but still on 6S.

I did however put a 12S JF90 in my F-22, and it screams!
          Nice. I do have the F-22 in 8S. What battery setup you used for 12S?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrthog View Post
            Picked one of these up from a guy at my local field, he never flew it because of an issue with the left aileron servo. When you plug batteries in the left aileron servo locks in the full down position . I’ve pulled servo horn and linkage off it still does it . I used a servo tester and cycled servo it works fine, plug back into control box locks down. I plugged both into rx directly they work fine? Can there be something wrong with the control box? Can I bypass it completly?
            If it works on the tester and directly to the RX logic points to the blue box as the culprit to me. I bypass the box for flight controls on most of the FW jets for mixing and individual trimming purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogietrim View Post

If it works on the tester and directly to the RX logic points to the blue box as the culprit to me. I bypass the box for flight controls on most of the FW jets for mixing and individual trimming purposes.
              Agreed! When I rebuilt my A-10 with new wings, I ran extensions from the aileron servos, then into a "Y" and that goes directly into the RX. I had the occasional (momentary) aileron freeze during flight. The plane flies perfectly now. I'm still convinced that certain control boxes have signal and/or ground leaching from one close circuit to another.

Comment

A written test and multiple check flights seems very extreme to me. Probably not a club you want to belong to then.
                I agree. Just by talking to guys when they show up you can normally get a handle on how long they have been in the hobby and their abilities. I can tell you as a club officer I would support any of that or want to be around anyone that would. .There;s normally more than one club / field in any giveb area might look on the AMA website most clubs attach their website and you can get a idea about them there.

Mike
                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghostman View Post

Nice. I do have the F-22 in 8S. What battery setup you used for 12S?
                  Currently running a pair of RoaringTop 6S 3700 70C's in mine.They are placed front to back with the back one shoved as far back in the rear cavity as it can go. I rerouted all the wiring along the sides of that cavity to give me more room. The front battery is about .5" back from the blue box. Similar to when I was running an 8S setup in it before I went 12S (8S setup in the pic).

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5024.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	268655Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5025.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	268654Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5026.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	268656
                  Pat

Comment

Currently running a pair of RoaringTop 6S 3700 70C's in mine.They are placed front to back with the back one shoved as far back in the rear cavity as it can go. I rerouted all the wiring along the sides of that cavity to give me more room. The front battery is about .5" back from the blue box. Similar to when I was running an 8S setup in it before I went 12S (8S setup in the pic).

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN5024.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	268655Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN5025.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	268654Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN5026.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	268656

Thank you! Nicely done. I bet she really rips!

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post

There are but honestly I'm not one for joining a club and jumping thru their hoops, i.e. proof of AMA membership, club dues, check flights with snobby instructors...and so on.
                      From what I hear clubs vary a lot. I happen to be lucky, because our club is all nice people, and every weekend is basically like a big tailgate party. But I've heard tales of clubs where it is more like a big Homeowners' Association board meeting, lol.

Comment

• "HOA Board Meeting" I'll have to remember that one.

Ours is more like the tailgate scenario. No food, but some of the guys play music.
                        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

From what I hear clubs vary a lot. I happen to be lucky, because our club is all nice people, and every weekend is basically like a big tailgate party. But I've heard tales of clubs where it is more like a big Homeowners' Association board meeting, lol.
                          LOL exactly!

Comment

• Maiden flights completed this morning. Headed to the local soccer field at 745 this morning, aside from a few groundskeepers, two hot air balloons landing and some joggers, I had the place to myself. A beautiful morning to fly, put her together and did a range check on the radio, checked control surfaces, and with the preflight complete set take-off flaps and throttled up to full power.

First flight...the take off roll seemed long, she might have been a little nose heavy, but even with half flaps and full power it took full up elevator to get her airborne. Once airborne I climbed out, raised the flaps and gear and chopped the throttle to half and started circles around the field to trim her out. Didn't take much but a little up elevator trim and aileron trim and she was flying beautifully. Since it has been like 10 years since I flown ANYTHING I decided to keep things calm. Just flew her around in circles and figure 8's to get a feel for her. Even with 30% expo it seemed like the ailerons were touchy so might have to adjust that and maybe take it down on the elevator...maybe that is why the take off roll was so long? Anyway had a couple of "oh crap" moments when I was looking away from the jet to the radio, she will get away from you fast! Wanted to see how she did with no throttle so dead stick'ed her and she floated like a dream. I would hate to actually come from altitude on a dead stick with no power though because once she looses enough airspeed she comes down pretty fast. Put power back on and after about 3:30 my timer went off and I started dirtying her up for landing, full flaps and gear and brought her down for a nice bounce...not enough flare lol...but she took it like a champ and I rolled her to the pits to check the batteries. After 3:30 in the air plus maybe another 45 seconds getting her down for landing the batteries showed 47%. Not bad.

So my heart could slow down now lol, first flight over. I sat and watched some other flyers that had shown up for a bit then threw in my second set of batteries for the next flight.

Second flight...same take off roll but didn't seem as long and she was off. Cleaned her up and full throttle to the vertical, she went up like a rocket! Half roll on top and stayed at altitude for a bit and decided to cut loose a little more on this flight. Roll rate was good, loops, split-s, high speed passes. What a freaking awesome bird! Great range between slow and fast, can putt around or can get fast and freaky. Hell of a stable flyer. Timer went off again at 3:30 and just like that it was over and time to bring her home. Dirtied up, and this time held the nose and greased the perfect landing. Taxied for a little bit and then shut down, battery check was 39 and 37%.

In conclusion, what a freaking awesome jet and a great couple flights...only damage to the bird was a bent pitot tube on the wing when I was putting her back into the truck and it got snagged on my jacket lol. Made me wish I had more batteries or a good field charger to stay out a little longer but I'm going to get another bird now so I have two, one to fly while the other is charging lol. 1600mm Spitfire or Corsair? 😁

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maiden2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	268794Click image for larger version

Name:	Maiden1.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	268795

Comment

Believe me that is something on the forefront of my mind, I worked in aviation pretty much my whole adult life both military and civilian and deal with the feds a lot. I'm not much worried about the FAA but the annoying "Karen"s that come outta the woodworks when you do anything that they don't like and threaten to report you or whatnot.

And I have checked out the requirements for my local club, like I said they require an AMA membership (not a big deal and probably should have one anyway) and then they have a written test and a proficiency check flights with multiple instructors to see that you are "good enough" for their club. I understand the reasoning behind it but its the principle of the matter to me.
                              The AMA membership is primarily for the insurance. It's one of the few rules at our club that is strictly enforced, because all it takes is one mishap causing property damage or injury, and the settlement can bankrupt the club.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

The AMA membership is primarily for the insurance. It's one of the few rules at our club that is strictly enforced, because all it takes is one mishap causing property damage or injury, and the settlement can bankrupt the club.
                                And I get that, I don't have a problem with AMA membership being a requirement at any club. I think its a good thing.

Comment

Maiden flights completed this morning. Headed to the local soccer field at 745 this morning, aside from a few groundskeepers, two hot air balloons landing and some joggers, I had the place to myself. A beautiful morning to fly, put her together and did a range check on the radio, checked control surfaces, and with the preflight complete set take-off flaps and throttled up to full power.

First flight...the take off roll seemed long, she might have been a little nose heavy, but even with half flaps and full power it took full up elevator to get her airborne. Once airborne I climbed out, raised the flaps and gear and chopped the throttle to half and started circles around the field to trim her out. Didn't take much but a little up elevator trim and aileron trim and she was flying beautifully. Since it has been like 10 years since I flown ANYTHING I decided to keep things calm. Just flew her around in circles and figure 8's to get a feel for her. Even with 30% expo it seemed like the ailerons were touchy so might have to adjust that and maybe take it down on the elevator...maybe that is why the take off roll was so long? Anyway had a couple of "oh crap" moments when I was looking away from the jet to the radio, she will get away from you fast! Wanted to see how she did with no throttle so dead stick'ed her and she floated like a dream. I would hate to actually come from altitude on a dead stick with no power though because once she looses enough airspeed she comes down pretty fast. Put power back on and after about 3:30 my timer went off and I started dirtying her up for landing, full flaps and gear and brought her down for a nice bounce...not enough flare lol...but she took it like a champ and I rolled her to the pits to check the batteries. After 3:30 in the air plus maybe another 45 seconds getting her down for landing the batteries showed 47%. Not bad.

So my heart could slow down now lol, first flight over. I sat and watched some other flyers that had shown up for a bit then threw in my second set of batteries for the next flight.

Second flight...same take off roll but didn't seem as long and she was off. Cleaned her up and full throttle to the vertical, she went up like a rocket! Half roll on top and stayed at altitude for a bit and decided to cut loose a little more on this flight. Roll rate was good, loops, split-s, high speed passes. What a freaking awesome bird! Great range between slow and fast, can putt around or can get fast and freaky. Hell of a stable flyer. Timer went off again at 3:30 and just like that it was over and time to bring her home. Dirtied up, and this time held the nose and greased the perfect landing. Taxied for a little bit and then shut down, battery check was 39 and 37%.

In conclusion, what a freaking awesome jet and a great couple flights...only damage to the bird was a bent pitot tube on the wing when I was putting her back into the truck and it got snagged on my jacket lol. Made me wish I had more batteries or a good field charger to stay out a little longer but I'm going to get another bird now so I have two, one to fly while the other is charging lol. 1600mm Spitfire or Corsair? 😁

Click image for larger version  Name:	Maiden2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	294.5 KB ID:	268794Click image for larger version  Name:	Maiden1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	351.0 KB ID:	268795
                                  Congrats Splat, now you know why I said "hold the flare" also a little tip on the pitot tube, don't glue it, unless you already have, but to keep that pitot tube safe when not in use or transporting, lay it in one of the velcro straps on the velcro part and wrap it up like you would a battery but only use the velcro part at the tip of the strap, stays with the jet at all times, or if you leave a battery in the front, just lay it on top and strap it there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Congrats Splat, now you know why I said "hold the flare" also a little tip on the pitot tube, don't glue it, unless you already have, but to keep that pitot tube safe when not in use or transporting, lay it in one of the velcro straps on the velcro part and wrap it up like you would a battery but only use the velcro part at the tip of the strap, stays with the jet at all times, or if you leave a battery in the front, just lay it on top and strap it there.
                                    Hold the flare...it will echo in my head every landing now lol.

Comment

• Well done Splat! You will love her more with each flight.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Congrats Splat! Nice maiden report. I do the same as D and put the pitot tube under one of the velcro straps for transport. If you want to get crazy, build a transport and storage rack for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5459.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	268822Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5455.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	268823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5453.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	268824Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5460.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	268825Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5461.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	268826
                                        Pat

Comment

• Congrats Splat! I flew mine today as well. Your long takeoff was probably because of the elevator trim, you just needed to find the right spot and now you're set. As you've probably seen from hundreds of pages on this thread, you definitely need to keep that nose up during landing and to make that happen: (1) have the balance a bit further back than the manual (you already are aware), and (2) don't dead stick the landing, you need to keep some power in to retain the elevator authority for the flare. I find that when the Nerf whistles start working that is the perfect power setting for landing with full flaps.
                                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X