X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
    I know it isn't the correct color scheme for the Royal Navy but at 50ft and 50mph she looks like a Corsair anyway! Added an FMS T'Cat engine mold -- not sure worth the $ and work to do ? Has Mr RC Sound, P/W sound system which drowns out any natural prop noise very well. Looking at that large three blade finger slicer also added a SafeStart system. The panel mold lines are huge so why not highlight them I say.

Looks like a 12mph, 90 degree cross wind tomorrow, not good for the maiden so the EDF's will have to be flown.
    Very Nice BRK! The engine looks great and I like that you added color to the wheels...very scale! Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

I am on the same page Jerry! I hate those pesky mold marks too! I've been researching the yellow chromate versus zinc...I see photos of engine compartment and components but none of wheel wells and wing roots? I can't wait to try the aluminum technique...it will mean a coat of hairspray on top before the color coat, and then I'm thinking a clear coat on top of that for decals and washes. This is such a large canvas, and it will take a lot of paint, but the result will be awesome! I learned a lot from doing the A-10...I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Rob
      So much data and conflicting data at that.... See if this helps some.... https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hype...n-t121040.html

"The wheel wells of early model Corsairs deserve closer inspection. Like the cowlings, the main wheel wells, undercarriage legs and boths ides of well covers were painted in the underside camouflage colour, ANA 602 Non-specular Sky Gray. Wheel hubs were silver. However, the smaller forward area of the wheel to which the leg itself retracted was left in the factory primer finish, Salmon. Some aircraft had also Salmon inner surfaces of the small covers attached to the undercarriage legs.

The canvas covers in the wells were probably drab -coloured.

With the advent of the tri-colour camouflage on F4U-1A the same principle was applied with white replacing the Sky Gray with ANA 601 Non-specular Insignia White, and the However, the undercarriage legs remained grey throughout the production of this model, possibly due to the failure or indifference to notify a subcontractor about changed colour specifications. For the record, some photos of -1As seem to show silver undercarriage legs, but it could not be established to what extent such finish was applied. One theory is that Aluminium lacquer was applied on these assemblies during field depot overhauls.

In October 1944 the new factory instructions for the F4U production called for application of Interior Green on all internal surfaces including the cockpit. As an anti-glare measure, all cockpit panels above the lower edge of the instrument panel were to be painted matt black. Curiously, the new directive did not explicitly state what was to happen with the cowling's inner surface. Thus, subsequent machines showed either Zinc Chromate or Interior Green cowlings, until the last standardisation of colour post-war whereupon black was introduced in this area.

During that period, the wheel wells were also painted Interior Green. Undercarriage legs were initially still finished in light grey, but as existing stocks of parts were used up at the factory, the overall Glossy Sea Blue finish was carried over to the undercarriage legs and wheel hubs."

Comment

• More data from the same website:

First, let me say that the following is the result of years (decades?) of research gathered from photos, wrecks and documentation. In general for most USN WW2 era a/c you're correct that the wheel bays, gear struts, wheels, landing gear doors and fittings are the exterior color. However for a factory fresh and most in service F4U-1D, Corsairs the wheel bay would be Zinc Chromate Yellow, close to FS 33481. I wrote a monograph some years ago and it's on this website. Do a search on my name in Hyperscale's search function.
        Just from photographic evidence, it looks as if a lot of landing gear struts were in Aluminum Lacquer. Wreck evidence and New Old Stock (NOS) parts indicate that Nonspecular (flat) Light Gray (close to FS 36440) was very common. Grumman F6F-5 aircraft generally followed the rule "Paint it blue and send it through". Grumman was focused on maximum production and that was one way of achieving that goal, much like deleting the Insignia Blue surround on the national markings. I would also say that it appears many overhauled Corsairs left with Aluminum Lacquer landing gear. Corrosion was a constant battle for carrier based aircraft. I expect that high wear parts such as landing gear were often painted or touched up much like modern USN tactical paint scheme aircraft are.
        I wrote the following regarding the F4U-1D:
        F4U-1D Corsair. Cockpit: FS 34151 Interior Green. The area above the consoles was black. This matches the Navy's directives at the time very well. Inside of the wheel bays and engine cowling were also Interior Green FS 34151. Wheel bays could have been Zinc Chromate Yellow, FS 33481. Landing gear was Light Gull Gray or Aluminum Lacquer. After overhaul aircraft could have had the landing gear, wheel centers and wheel bays painted Glossy Sea Blue.
        I will also add that the interior of the landing gear doors could be either ZCY or Glossy Sea Blue. Also, note that the first production batches of the F4U-1D were delivered in the Three Tone scheme. I have also been unable to find a photo of a never overhauled F4U-1D with the anti-glare area in Flat Sea Blue. I would also say that applies to WW2 era F4U-4 a/c. I frequently see models of F4U-5 and -5N a/c with Flat Black anti-glare areas. This is wrong and against the directives of the time and contradicts (color) photo evidence. It should be Nonspecular (flat) Sea Blue.
        William Reece

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          After spraying these parts, I am glad that most of the silver will be covered... Silver just shows every little flaw in the foam surface... But this foam is really nice, non-the-less. :Cool:
          Awesome! Love this approach! can't wait to see how she turns out! I am sure its going to be beautiful.
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
            I know it isn't the correct color scheme for the Royal Navy but at 50ft and 50mph she looks like a Corsair anyway! Added an FMS T'Cat engine mold -- not sure worth the $ and work to do ? Has Mr RC Sound, P/W sound system which drowns out any natural prop noise very well. Looking at that large three blade finger slicer also added a SafeStart system. The panel mold lines are huge so why not highlight them I say.

Looks like a 12mph, 90 degree cross wind tomorrow, not good for the maiden so the EDF's will have to be flown.
            This a GREAT!! LOVE it! British Corsairs!! Woo hoo!

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Ok, got the throttle issue sorted out. The one step I was missing is that the throttle should be at it's bottom point when you turn on your transmitter, then after the tx has booted up THEN move it to full throttle, then plug in the lipo. Wa-la, I got the initialization chirp then the double beep. Immediately moved the throttle to the bottom and now I get motor engagement after I move the throttle up about a click.

Mark

Comment

• Here is an example of the "salmon" primer color... http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/t...Rapasi/00.shtm

Comment

• And an example of the Dull Dark Green... Makes your head hurt!!! LOL

Comment

• More salmon primer in the cowl and cowl flap interior, and some chromate yellow peeking through the wing roots...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                      Thanks OV-10. I tried what you noted about how to calibrate the throttle range. When I plug the lipo in I hear a musical chirp (do do doop sound) then I hear beep, pause, beep, pause,etc. I never hear just a double beep. So, I've tried moving the throttle back down immediately after the initial chirping sound as well as after a couple of beeps. Then I hear the 6 beep sound for the lipo engage. I still have to move the throttle stick up at least 4 clicks before the motor engages. BTW, I'm binding with the throttle trim at the bottom -100 on the main screen (throttle subtrim shows -129) and attempting to do the throttle calibration with it there as well.
                      Also, this is done with throttle cut off. I get high throttle warning when I power on the tx. Also using a Lemon rx
                      Thanks
                      There's still something not right.
                      1. The subtrim for throttle in the servo menu should NOT be touched. Leave it the way it comes.
                      2. If you are getting the high throttle warning, you are doing it in the wrong sequence. You turn ON the TX first with the throttle down, after everything turns on and the TX is ready THEN you raise the throttle to MAX, THEN you hook up the battery to the plane with NO throttle cut (do it with NO prop on just in case you're doing wrong still). Wait for the first beeps (nevermind what they sound like), THEN immediately lower the throttle stick to the bottom. Leave alone till you get the beeps for the number of cells in the battery. You should never have to do this again unless you change the ESC.
                      PS. You aren't leaving the bind plug in are you?
                      PPS. 2 or 3 clicks of freeplay isn't bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                        And an example of the Dull Dark Green... Makes your head hurt!!! LOL
                        LOL! Yep. After years of researching and painting Luftwaffe models it came to the point of paint it how you like it, based on what we do know, and dare someone to prove you wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

LOL! Yep. After years of researching and painting Luftwaffe models it came to the point of paint it how you like it, based on what we do know, and dare someone to prove you wrong!
                          Roger..... Is that RLM 76??? IT should be RLM 65.... LOL Been down that road many times..... I love the RLM colors though!

Comment

• Thanks xviper. Yep, got it all sorted out. See my post above. It was the step of not having the throttle down when I turned on the transmitter that was mucking up the process. Subtrim is good and throttle cut is good. Now a couple clicks and I have motor engagement. I'm good to go. Now just need a good day weather-wise.

Comment

• Hardest,
                              Love what you’re doing. Great research. AND I bet you know that the “Birdcage” is a Dash 1 NOT a Dash 1A.
                              My order is in to Callie for graphics, so it won’t be too long now. Just gotta complete the F7F first.
                              Keep us all informed as you go.
                              BTW, did you spray over the factory paint or seal the foam first wig Mineax ( acrylics)?

Comment

• Hardway,
                                Sorry on the above salutation...darn spellchecker corrector thingy...

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
                                  Hardway,
                                  Sorry on the above salutation...darn spellchecker corrector thingy...
                                  LOL.... I thought nothing of it until I re-read it and then had to laugh!! I didn't seal the factory paint at all. Just used light coats (very light) of RUST-OLEUM Painter's Touch 2X Metallic Aluminum in the spray can. Thanks Alfer!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                                    Thanks xviper. Yep, got it all sorted out. See my post above. It was the step of not having the throttle down when I turned on the transmitter that was mucking up the process. Subtrim is good and throttle cut is good. Now a couple clicks and I have motor engagement. I'm good to go. Now just need a good day weather-wise.
                                    Saw your post after I posted. Glad you got it. A couple clicks is perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
                                      Hardest,
                                      Love what you’re doing. Great research. AND I bet you know that the “Birdcage” is a Dash 1 NOT a Dash 1A.
                                      My order is in to Callie for graphics, so it won’t be too long now. Just gotta complete the F7F first.
                                      Keep us all informed as you go.
                                      BTW, did you spray over the factory paint or seal the foam first wig Mineax ( acrylics)?
                                      ALFER..........I concur with your comment.
                                      As a matter of fact, I proposed the following to Alpha in a PM back on 12/18 but am still waiting. ;)

The reason for my PM about the Corsair, the -1A designated as the birdcage variant has me :Confused:Should it not actually be a F4U-1 designation.:Thinking:
                                      Every source that I find(see below) indicates that the birdcage variant was the -1 and the move to the -1A involved the Malcolm Hood (bulged) canopy and omission of the cockpit bombing window. The -1D incorporated the single piece "blown" canopy which is correct and remained as such for all subsequent variations
                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F4U_Corsair
                                      https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...aircraft_id=87
                                      http://www.aviation-history.com/vought/f4u.html
                                      https://www.plane-encyclopedia.com/w...t-f4u-corsair/

What am I missing in the facts :Thinking:

Best regards,
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I agree Charlie...I just figured Alpha must have come across something I haven't seen. Another thing I caught lately...the shots of Ken Walsh's Lucky 13 don't seem to have the blacked out strip on the wing for a walkway? And BTW, Callie does have the number 13 with a shamrock behind, along with the word "Viva" for the cowl, for any who might be interested! Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                                          Where the [3-digit] number would fit it’s 35-36mm across.
                                          O-T, Did you post at one time here that you doing one of Lt. Paul Whitings' Corsairs? Just checking as I am looking at one of his and wouldn't want to duplicate your efforts. Respectfully, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X