X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flyingiceberg View Post
    What is the best way to smooth out the foam after removing paint? I have some rough spots on my P51 that need to be smoothed out
    What has worked real well for me dealing with the fuzz* left over from cleaning up part lines or other surface discontinuities, has been to harden the fuzzed area with a thin coat of thin CA glue. This adds rigidity to the fuzz so that the new sharp sandpaper can actually cut the fuzz. Repeat until the surface finish is close to what you want.
    Then I apply a skim coat to the area using this product from MotionRC.
    https://www.motionrc.com/collections...g-compound-8oz

Hints: Sand in only one direction! Back and forth is two directions!:rolleyes:

Allow the Beacon to dry fully! I like to wait two days before I sand it with new sharp 220 grit sand paper prior to adding the color coats.

* The fuzz is the foam bead’s skin it is tough and resistant to dull sandpaper. This is much the same technique one would use to sand down kevlar or other tough fibrous materials.

All the best,
    Konrad

Comment

• Hello FIB,
      If it is just foam fuzz, a little elbow grease with a 200-400 grit foam sanding block.
      If it is very light scratches, go with Foam-Tac Foam Finish. If slightly deeper try some Ultra-Lite Spackle by DAP or equiv. That's all I use on foam for my smoothing compounds. If you got some minor gatoring going on, rub over it with one of those plastic freezer packs.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hey, thats a good thought, CB, what would I do without you!!

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

• I can't believe how many of you have replied. Thanks for all the suggestions! What a great community!
          It is a little fuzz and some uneven spots from the tape pulling a little foam too. I circled an example of the fuzz and you can see the rest of the foam. I have watched Chris's videos. I guess I rubbed a little to hard with the paper towel and acetone.

Comment

I can't believe how many of you have replied. Thanks for all the suggestions! What a great community!
            It is a little fuzz and some uneven spots from the tape pulling a little foam too. I circled an example of the fuzz and you can see the rest of the foam. I have watched Chris's videos. I guess I rubbed a little to hard with the paper towel and acetone.
            You are more than welcomed.

Through the community we'’ve learned that there is more that one way to skin a cat. (and yes that is a bad pun)
            Even with 50 years experience I too gleaned a new idea. The use of ice bags sounds intriguing to address the bane of EPO foam.
            I will work on this idea and hopefully report my findings here on Hobby Squawk.

I for one am learning from your experience.
            Please keep asking questions.

All the best,
            Konrad

Comment

• Krylon makes a primer that works really good to bond the fuzz, I've used it several times and love it.

TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• In the FAQs Krylon said they hadn't tried that product on EPO foam. Did you have to use and "special" process?

All the best,
                Konrad

Comment

• Originally posted by Aspirin View Post
                  In the FAQs Krylon said they hadn't tried that product on EPO foam. Did you have to use and "special" process?

All the best,
                  Konrad
                  Works fine on EPO...
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• I have used it on both EPO and EPS, and it works great. As a general rule, if something works on EPS it won't harm EPO. EPS is much more sensitive and reactive then most types of EPO.

Comment

• How is the bond? Can you mask over it without lifting up the primer? The issue with EOP is that the wax surface makes it very difficult for any paint of dies to adhere.

BTW; I often use "Frog tape for delicate surface" as my mask. I then use the hair dryer to warn up the mask's adhesive prior to unmasking. This makes it much less likely for the mask to pull the paint off the EPO.

Please note the term "warm". One does not want to expand the EPO beads!

All the best,
                      Konrad

Comment

• It has held up to masking with delicate surface tape alright, but pretty much the same as family's primer has. A few small flakes will come up during masking seemingly no matter what you try. That is why for simple markings like camo lines, I use either slightly wet newspaper or paper towel to mask things. Simple, and leaves no opportunities to peel paint. Obviously, this is not practical for detailed subjects, like numbers, insignias, or shark mouths, but it helps to reduce the touch up work.

Comment

• Also, if anyone is interested in the scale diameter prop mod I did a while back, the prop I used is finally back in stock: http://www.bananahobby.com/4-bladed-...ueryId=1880602. I have no idea how many are left in stock though, now that the HSD Skyraider is discontinued though.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                            Also, if anyone is interested in the scale diameter prop mod I did a while back, the prop I used is finally back in stock:http://www.bananahobby.com/4-bladed-...InStockEvent=1. I have no idea how many are left in stock though, now that the HSD Skyraider is discontinued though.
                            I put a few of these away this morning myself.
                            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Just curious as to why some people have bought 2 of these?
                              I am building my second Bearcat today. I am not sure about others, but I like multiple copies of planes that I truly like. I have 2 FL P-38s, 4 FMS B-25s, 2 FMS 1400mm Zeros and about 8 of the 1875mm "Sonic" B-17s! I love to fly my favorite planes.

Bob

ps MotionRC, I am patiently waiting for more multi-motored WWII bombers!

Comment

• Originally posted by borntoolate View Post

I am building my second Bearcat today. I am not sure about others, but I like multiple copies of planes that I truly like. I have 2 FL P-38s, 4 FMS B-25s, 2 FMS 1400mm Zeros and about 8 of the 1875mm "Sonic" B-17s! I love to fly my favorite planes.

Bob

ps MotionRC, I am patiently waiting for more multi-motored WWII bombers!
                                Same here Bob, I want to be flying some of these as long as I'm able then I'll just sit and look at them.
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Same here Bob, I want to be flying some of these as long as I'm able then I'll just sit and look at them.
                                  An excellent plan! I enjoy building, modding and flying these!

Bob

Comment

• Good thing huh!
                                    If all we liked was flying, we'd soon have nothing to fly!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                      Krylon makes a primer that works really good to bond the fuzz, I've used it several times and love it.

Are you able to sand the fuzz or does the primer help flatten it out? I have the fuzz and a few rough spots from the Gorilla Tape pulling a little more than just paint!

Comment

• Yes on both, it makes the smaller stuff lay down and hardens the larger fuzz so you can lightly sand it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B17_21.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	55944
                                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• I looked for this at Ace here in Cody, but, as usual, nothing, have to wait to hit Hobby Lobby in Billings, right now we're in high wind/lots of snow drifts conditions so not going anywhere for a while.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X