X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
    Hey Guys..I know somebody here will have the answer to this. What is the node on the leading edge of the wing, just outboard of the cannons? Is that a housing for a .5 cal machine gun? Some pictures show a red covering indicating the sticky tape they used to cover gun ports, but others seem to show nothing. Was it not always used as a machine gun port? Thanks for your help! Rob
    I am by far a Spitfire expert. But some of them had the 50 cal in the "node" you asked about. On this model from Flightline, I think it represents a faired-over 50 cal port and then further outboard on the wing, it housed .303 cal machine guns. 2 on each side. That is what the red squares on the yellow LE represent. The gun ports for the .303's. If I am wrong, please educate me. I always want to learn new things about these beautiful birds...

Comment

• http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ire_wings.html

The majority of Mk IXs of all types used the standard “c” wing, which could carry four 20mm cannon or two 20mm cannon and four .303in machine guns. From 1944 some were built with the “e” wing, which replaced the four .303in machine guns with two .50in heavy machine guns.

Comment

• So I guess the node is a fairing for not only a 50 cal position, but an additional 20mm position as well. In our model, it is faired over and empty to accommodate the .303 guns in the outboard wing panels. That is my best guess.... :Whew: LOL

Comment

• Yes, it seems that since the other ports are covered in red tape, then there are .303's in play. Like you, I deduced that the "node" was an unused option. I'm confident Alpha had that all researched with no detail left to chance! Rob

Comment

• Hello AlphamotionRC, I have seen on multiple sources that the 3DPUP cockpit for the Spitfire 1600 is already out. I wanted to ask why the STL-file is not available for download yet.

Christian Ruckerbauer

Comment

• Good question. It's not for a .50 MG. This shows the different wing types: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/conc...g-types.html/2 The MK XIVc had two Browning MGs mounted further outboard. The drawing doesn't explain the "blister" but it appears to be a location for a second 20mm cannon as shown on the type C wing. Not used on the MK XIV due to too much weight I assume.

The type E wing did have a .50 MG mounted next to the cannon, but on the inboard side. http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/conc...g-types.html/3

Comment

• Hey Guys...looks like I have a buyer for my Carbon Z T-28...PTL! So in anticipation of my new Spit, what was the outcome of the issue with the backplate not threading on the crankshaft? Just use a drill bit to hold the plate centered while attaching the prop blades? Was that all? Thanks...can't wait! Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

You asked, and we answered!

Motion RC is proud to announce the first in a new series of FlightLineRC 1600mm single engine warbirds, a Spitfire Mk.IX! Our smaller 1200mm Spitfire surprised us by being the most requested single engine aircraft from our FlightLineRC lineup that we've been asked by customers over the past year to size up. But far more than a simply sized up 1200mm Spitfire, our all new 1600mm Spitfire was redesigned from the ground up to feature more scale elements that are appropriate for this new class size of aircraft. Offering the "big plane" presence of the 1700mm class but at the lower price point and easier transportability of the 1400mm class, we have high hopes for FlightLineRC's 1600mm Single Engine Series. There are more to come, but for now, let's take a closer look at the FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk. IX, with most of these features being unique to this 1600mm version...

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U8ORvfoZp0

Scale Fidelity:
                  * 92% Scale Outline, 94% Scale Contours
                  * Scale suspension struts, pre-installed on all PNP aircraft
                  * Scale four spoke wheel, plastic, with brass axle shaft
                  * Scale four panel split flaps, plastic, with ribbing detail
                  * Scale canopy contours
                  * Cockpit floor and wall area is designed to accommodate a near-full depth cockpit tub, for you customizers/detailers out there
                  * Big 16" Prop
                  * LED wingtip lights
                  * Pre-installed dorsal signal light. Can be plugged into the circuit board to flash intermittently, but because the real Spitfire only used this light to flash Morse Code to communicate, I hope someone out there programs an Arduino to flash an actual Morse Code message, like "Cleared in Hot" or "I love pizza"

Durability:
                  * Soft tires, slightly oversized, for operation on rough surfaces
                  * Grass capable landing gear with thick steel pin and metal trunion
                  * Digital Metal Gear servos on all control surfaces
                  * Brass Ball Links on all control surfaces
                  * Nylon hinges on all control surfaces
                  * Plastic cowl
                  * Machine Screw Inserts molded into the spinner backplate for easy adjustment of the blades' tracking while mounted on the motor
                  * COOL: Plywood ribs and carbon spars sandwiched in a hollow chambered wing. Strong, light, rigid.

Transportability and Usability:
                  * Removable Wings (Wing halves are screwed together, then screwed to fuselage)
                  * Removable Cannon Barrels
                  * Removable Antenna Mast
                  * Removable chin scoop (the part most prone to frontal wear)
                  * Quick Disconnect Circuit Board
                  * Access holes to adjust Elevator/Rudder linkages without removing the wing
                  * Gyro ready plywood area near CG
                  * Two decal sets included:
                  -- MA621 DV-A, Squadron Leader Tony Gaze, 129 Squadron, 1943
                  -- BS393 GW-Z for Lt. Michel Boudier, 340 Squadron, 1942
                  * Additional sets made available by Callie Graphics, including George Beurling, Pierre Clostermann, etc.

Performance:
                  * 6s 4000-5000 battery
                  * 8-10 minutes of flight, even with heavy throttle usage
                  * Trainer-like handling and stability in the air (although still recommended for intermediate+ pilots due to the narrow gear stance)
                  * Accepts violent banking input at slow speed without a snap, very docile!
                  * Difficult to master an 8 point roll with that small rudder, consider it a challenge
                  * Scale Plus Presentation: not overly fast yet not slow
                  * Near unlimited vertical
                  * Can fly 5+ consecutive tight loops without losing steam (if you don't mind a puking pilot)

When When When How Much How Much How Much:
                  * Slated for production in late February, ETA is early April time frame
                  * Projected price is $329-$339. That's not a typo! :)

Notes:
                  All these photos are of the color test sample that I personally prepared for the factory. The Production version will have the complete markings/warnings/etc not shown here. Look out for Mike and Ryan's official video next month! We plan to due a very mild satin sheen. Unless people really want a matte finish?

Thanks to Pilot Evelyn for giving us a sense of scale with the FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk.IX
                  Hi Alpha, just another note regarding the possibility of Super Sizing the Flightline Spitfire one more time to 2000mm+ wingspan... J.M.

Comment

• so I just got mine and in the process of building it, but I just want to be clear that the control throws are fine or should I turn them down a touch? I don't want a plane that will snap if too much elevator is used? thx glenn

Comment

• Originally posted by axerhand1976 View Post
                      so I just got mine and in the process of building it, but I just want to be clear that the control throws are fine or should I turn them down a touch? I don't want a plane that will snap if too much elevator is used? thx glenn
                      You can leave them at published just give yourself plenty of expo. Controls are very effective so put some expo in there as well. I like about 30% elevator and maybe 15-20% aileron to start. Then fly it and adjust for your own taste. Remember on this model to watch for nose over on takeoff so be ready to hold some back pressure when you give it power especially on grass but it'll nose over taking from smooth runways as well if you don't catch it.

Comment

• thx beeg, I think I will just go with 70% on the rates and go from there. I just hate expo, I've tried it on many planes never liked it.

Comment

• I’ve been flying mine with 85% on the aileron and rudder, 60% on the elevator, and normally use 30% expo on all surfaces. It’s enough elevator that I have no nose over issues even with the 8000mAh brick of a battery. Seems like I never have to move the sticks much as the Spitfire is very responsive and performes best with a gentle touch.

Comment

• Originally posted by axerhand1976 View Post
                            thx beeg, I think I will just go with 70% on the rates and go from there. I just hate expo, I've tried it on many planes never liked it.
                            I understand, but I highly recommend expo on the Spitfire. Dialing the rate on the elevator down will tame your elevator stall and ensuing snap, but you will need that extra elevator throw for ground handling and possibly for the flare too.... Just a thought! Good luck in whatever setup you choose! :Cool: Great airplane!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rucky View Post
                              Hello AlphamotionRC, I have seen on multiple sources that the 3DPUP cockpit for the Spitfire 1600 is already out. I wanted to ask why the STL-file is not available for download yet.

Christian Ruckerbauer
                              Im waiting o this also.

Comment

• Maybe i'm a bit arrogant but, RC -pilots flying with such Spitfire,do not need any expo ... because they must have at least little more than moderately flying capabilities;)

Comment

• Hello pilots the STL files for the Spitfire are online
                                  Spitfire Mk.IX 3D Printed (3DPUP) Cockpit Set from Freewing - FLW30310910

Comment

• Originally posted by Rucky View Post
                                    Hello pilots the STL files for the Spitfire are online
                                    Rucky, I clicked on the link you've posted and it directed me to the F-4 3DP files for the cockpit and accessories. I went to the Motion RC website and could not find the STL files for the Spitfire cockpit. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Rucky, I clicked on the link you've posted and it directed me to the F-4 3DP files for the cockpit and accessories. I went to the Motion RC website and could not find the STL files for the Spitfire cockpit. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Best, LB
                                      Go to Motion and search
                                      FLW30310910 It is there and you can do the email alert!! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                        Go to Motion and search
                                        FLW30310910 It is there and you can do the email alert!! :Cool:
                                        Hrdwy, Just contacted MotionRC and JetManMike told me the pix and order info will be up on Monday. He was uncertain whether the 3DP files would be available at this time. I'll check in with MotionRC on Monday. Hope you're on the mend. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LOL, I just had chat with him also but you beat me to the forums.

Comment

Working...
                                          X