X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Had a somewhat routine landing in heavy crosswind, actually did one 6" bounce, and the battery hatch door popped off. Taxied back and noticed the fuselage was cracked clean through at the back end of the battery compartment, held on only because of the wing. When I got it home, I noticed that this section is the weakest place of the entire fuselage, with several channels cut in it and the carbon fiber tube running along side the battery stops at this point; which makes no sense to me. I'm flying with a 5000mah battery and the Mr. RC Sound "speakers are just in front of the break point, so there is quite a lot of weight in the nose forward of the "weak" spot. Reinforced the channels with square wooden rods and carbon fiber rods running further forward and aft of the position, then epoxied the hell out of it. Wonder if anyone else is seeing this. Granted, some of my first landings when I got the plane were a little "rougher", so this crack must have been developing for some time. Just glad it didn't break loose in flight! That would have worthy of a video.

Got it back together, as you can see, and I think it's much more robust in that area.
    Where there small 2 or 3mm rods inside the fuse when it broke already. Mine broke and there are no rods and I know there are supposed to be some in there. Alpha
    AMA 1102566

Comment

• Man, after watching Goosekiller parade this one around for a few sorties this AM ... I am reminded all over again of what a fantastic looking bird this one is!

Comment

• Wicked COOL, Love mine!
        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by Bajora View Post
          Man, after watching Goosekiller parade this one around for a few sorties this AM ... I am reminded all over again of what a fantastic looking bird this one is!
          Thanks for the pics ya the second flight was a hole lot better then the first. talking about my take off Ssssssssh feeling dumb. Love that FMS Fox unreal was so stoked.

Comment

• Hi Bajora, simply and beautifully, there are no redundant details ...stickers etc...:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post
              Hi Bajora, simply and beautifully, there are no redundant details ...stickers etc...:Cool:
              Thanks I could have put more graphics on her but chose to leave her as is and glad you like her I sure do.

Comment

• Had a couple of great flights with mine today!
                First flight went well, landing was ok as I couldn't use flaps. The Flap Elevator mix (as per the manual) was way off. Landed and removed any mix and flew again. Dropped flaps and gear and it was perfect. I have noticed that you need to maintain a bit more throttle with this bird than with my other warbirds. She started to dipsy doodle so I added a couple of clicks of throttle and it smoothened out. Plenty of speed coming over the runway and probably four feet of altitude, so I rolled back throttle and she settled in perfectly. I started correcting for the port side pull and basically flew it until it stopped rolling. Nicest landing thus far.
                Slowly getting the hang of this airplane and her size.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post

Where there small 2 or 3mm rods inside the fuse when it broke already. Mine broke and there are no rods and I know there are supposed to be some in there. Alpha
                  No, mine was missing the reinforcement rods as well, so after I added my own, it flew great. Flew 5 times this weekend, loving this plane-it's quick and very responsive. Downsized the battery to a 4000mah (was using the 5000) and still got 7-8 minutes of flight time, with a lower throttle and same speed. Reprogrammed my AR636 so I have normal rate gain when flaps up, take-off flaps (only down 3mm as I never use take-off flaps) but with 80% heading gain on the elevator and rudder-now it tracks straight on it's own-even in a cross wind-and gently lifts off the runway (at which time I return it to flaps up rate gain). On the landing flaps, I only use about 60% of recommended and only rate gains and the landings are much smoother. Programmed the heading gain on take-offs with all my large warbirds (except the B-24's which don't need it-only the tail draggers). Guess this is cheating a little bit, but I can use all the help I can get. It took a lot of trial and error in figuring out how to program the receiver (since the flap channel is also the FM channel) to get all three modes while still using flap deployment on 1 and 2 very close. Even the Spektrum technicians where stumped, but they gave me enough technical information on % changes in each mode to activate it.
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: Mig 29 "Cobra", 8S EuroFighter-Bronze Tiger, A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, 8S F16 Wild Weasel, 8S F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, Stinger 90, Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge Demonstrator. FMS-SU-30,1700mm P-51, Corsair, Viper, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P51.

Comment

• Hello, now comes a 3dpup for the Spitfire 1600

Comment

•  

Comment

• Hi Guys! So I have been on the A-10 thread and now I'm jumping in here! Last month my wife and I went to visit our son who is in the Air Force and stationed in England at Mildenhall. I went to Duxford, and toured the hangers there. WOW! I have totally been bitten by the Spitfire bug! My wife and I have a "3 plane hanger" agreement, so I'm selling my Carbon Z T-28 to raise dough for a Spit (I'm guessing somebody can relate to this challenge). In the meantime I've been reading Michael Korda's "With Wings Like Eagles" and next I'm going to read Geoffrey Wellum's "First Light". I have been so completely blown away by the A-10...I had a Stinger 90 before, but the Hog is truly an amazing machine! I can't wait to taste what the Spitfire will be like! This last post by Field of Dreams touched a nerve...Duxford is amazing! Hoping to join your ranks soon... Rob

Comment

• Rob, you've reminded me of two "must reads" for all Spitfire fans by two of the giants in its development and testing; "Spitfire, a test pilot's story" by Jeffrey Quill and Alex Henshaw's "Sigh for a Merlin"
                          Both extremely entertaining and easy to read books that tell the story of the Spitfire from the inside. Imagine throwing a conrod at 20,000ft over Birmingham, or climbing for a display using half loops and prop hanging all the way! It's all in there.

Comment

• Thanks for those...will do! Rob

Comment

• @ fieldofdreamsflyer Hi and thanks , this was filming by my friend Peter Coxon (UK), one of the best for ... these wonderful events.;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rucky View Post
                                Hello, now comes a 3dpup for the Spitfire 1600
                                Rucky, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Do you have the Flightline Spitfire? It is on my '2018 Wishlist' Best, Elbee

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• WOW!
                                  Duxford would be so cool to see! Home of the Duxford Wing at one time during the Battle of Britain, led by the incredible Douglas Bader.
                                  Just watch some of the old footage of him getting into a Hurricane to roar off to do battle, tin legs and all. Awe inspiring.
                                  Just finished reading Reach for the Sky for the umpteenth time, have had the book since I was a kid and treasure it.
                                  Just to walk the grounds where he was would be a thrill for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2668.JPG Views:	4 Size:	37.5 KB ID:	142992Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2669.JPG Views:	2 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	142993Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2670.JPG Views:	2 Size:	41.5 KB ID:	142994Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2671.JPG Views:	2 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	142995Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2672.JPG Views:	2 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	142996

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Boy, how scale is THAT! I'm salivating at the prospect! Rob

Comment

• Hi Grossman and appreciate , ...SPITFIRE.... I can looking at for centuries ... if I live enough......:Cool:

Comment

• I agree, there are some planes that just look so graceful that all you have to do to impress is fly the pattern. I had some difficulties with the landings, but got it sorted out and did some really pretty landings last week. The trick was to keep a bit more power on than I had with the other warbirds and realize that with that narrow landing gear she's going to pull to the left on landing. If you listen to the commentary when a Spitfire is landing, the impress upon you the need to steer her to a full stop and be prepared to the P factor as she slows.
                                        Nimble and graceful in the air and just a joy to fly. The pilot from Akuma (Ben) is simply amazing and really finishes her off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	143149

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey Guys..I know somebody here will have the answer to this. What is the node on the leading edge of the wing, just outboard of the cannons? Is that a housing for a .5 cal machine gun? Some pictures show a red covering indicating the sticky tape they used to cover gun ports, but others seem to show nothing. Was it not always used as a machine gun port? Thanks for your help! Rob

Comment

Working...
                                          X