Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEADS UP. This was in my F22 90mm 8S edf jet. Fortunately, I figured it out. 😋

Comment

• Hello I have both edf setups 90mm JP 8s and stock freewing unit, which differences are between them in performance and sound? I have to select one for my this kit.

Comment

• First Flight bound to my IX12 and with the new LIGHTBURNER!

Comment

• Who else flies the F-22 after dark?

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I have a question for those who fly both the F-22 and the Avanti-S. Which plane do you like the best...and why? I fly the Avanti and I really like it. I am considering getting the F-22. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Comment

• I have both but both are on 8s. They are both great but different. Only reason not to get one over the other is you like scale versus sport or vice versa...

Comment

• Thanks for the info Evan. I like watching scale planes, but have always preferred sport planes. Have you clocked your 8S Avanti on radar?

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                  Thanks to RCjetdude (Steve) for hooking me up with the stl files and info on the LEDs. Dual LEDs on the nose and single LEDs on the mains.

Tom
                  Hi there, could you please share STL files for the twin light. I can't seem to find them.
                  Thanks

Comment

• Yes, 145 level. The F-22, also on 8s is "only" 126.

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                    Thanks for the info Evan. I like watching scale planes, but have always preferred sport planes. Have you clocked your 8S Avanti on radar?

Comment

• Evan , so you are running 2 4S batteries in series. What brand and what mAh capacity please?

Comment

• Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                        Evan , so you are running 2 4S batteries in series. What brand and what mAh capacity please?
                        Btw I should have the exhaust tip finish for this weekend all goes well. We will do the rescaling tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

• I started with 8s zippy compact 5800. Now I’m using 5200 Hobby Star in 6+2. RC Juice just came out with a new ESPEED line and I have their 6200 as 6+2 coming to try.

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                          Evan , so you are running 2 4S batteries in series. What brand and what mAh capacity please?

Comment

• So I set the f22 up per the manual, and with the battery (5000 mah) towards the front next to the blue box. I still have to trim the plane down. Instead of 5.5 like the manual ask for, I’m more nose down about 6. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something else I should be looking at? Once it’s trimmed the plane flies like it’s on rails, the perfectionist in me believes I should not have that much trim in there to keep the nose down which is about 6 to 7 clicks down.

Comment

• I had an incident today with my F-22, I have about 10 flights on it. First edf flight of the day so I was taking it pretty easy. The power felt a little diminished on takeoff but I figured I was imagining things as the flight went on. After a landing attempt go around, I lost all power and servo control mid flight and never recovered. Upon damage inspection I found that the negative terminals on the EC5 connectors were melted together. Has anybody had a similar experience? I assume it was arcing instead of making contact? Everything is stock 6s, RoaringTop 5500mah 45C lipo, Spektrum receiver, IX12 radio. I've used the lipo the past year in all my other edf's so maybe 40 cycles on it. It came down at 3.78V across the board so it wasn't LVC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F22_2.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	236827
                              Attached Files

Comment

• If you figure out what happened, please let us know.

Comment

• Comment

• Welp, after about 50 or so fights on my 6S raptor, I think I had my first brown out. I was doing an aileron roll at full throttle and all of a sudden she stopped rolling and froze at 90 degrees angle of bank, motor died, and I had no control. After about 2 seconds, I regained flight controls but no motor. Was able to dead stick it in back to the runway thankfully. Walked up to it and still had no motor control but still had all the flight controls. Even tried dropping the throttle to zero and toggling the motor cut on the TX. After unplugging and re plugging the battery, everything returned to normal. Sound like a brown out? Guys at the field had no clue. My setup:

Stock 6s motor, esc, and bec
                                    Spectrum 9ch receiver with 2 satellites, all 90 degrees apart and in different geometric planes.
                                    Roaringtop 35C 6250mah
                                    A3L gyro for ailerons and rudder only
                                    Upgraded D85MG servos for the elevators
                                    Tailerons

Should I upgrade to a Castle 10amp BEC? And if so, do I really need to cut the red wire from the ESC to the throttle input on the receiver as shown?
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2795784D-FBF5-44BA-899F-0EE2A0F0815B.jpeg
Views:	642
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	237504

Comment

• Originally posted by Gvasiloff View Post
                                      Welp, after about 50 or so fights on my 6S raptor, I think I had my first brown out. I was doing an aileron roll at full throttle and all of a sudden she stopped rolling and froze at 90 degrees angle of bank, motor died, and I had no control. After about 2 seconds, I regained flight controls but no motor. Was able to dead stick it in back to the runway thankfully. Walked up to it and still had no motor control but still had all the flight controls. Even tried dropping the throttle to zero and toggling the motor cut on the TX. After unplugging and re plugging the battery, everything returned to normal. Sound like a brown out? Guys at the field had no clue. My setup:

Stock 6s motor, esc, and bec
                                      Spectrum 9ch receiver with 2 satellites, all 90 degrees apart and in different geometric planes.
                                      Roaringtop 35C 6250mah
                                      A3L gyro for ailerons and rudder only
                                      Upgraded D85MG servos for the elevators
                                      Tailerons

Should I upgrade to a Castle 10amp BEC? And if so, do I really need to cut the red wire from the ESC to the throttle input on the receiver as shown?
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2795784D-FBF5-44BA-899F-0EE2A0F0815B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	237504
                                      Since the stock 130A ESC doesn't have a built-in/internal BEC, you will not need to cut or remove the middle red wire of the throttle lead if using an external BEC for powering the electronics (assuming you're just replacing the stock BEC for the Castle BEC).

Be sure to check the receiver again to see what the voltage output is on the stock external BEC to see if it isn't providing sufficient voltage. Also, do several range checks of that receiver to see if it went faulty. If you have telemetry logging capability, that may help diagnose the issue as well.

If I'm running a gyro, as well as this many digital servos (and some aftermarket digital servos) and I chose an external BEC that is different than the stock supplied external BEC, I would recommend one that has a bit higher threshold than the Castle BEC 10A (which is 5A continuous and rated up to 6S input max). For example, the Castle BEC 2.0 (the non-waterproof version) has a higher current rating for larger headroom, as well as provides the option of using it with higher voltage setups if you chose to change the power system and ESC to 8S, 10S, 12S, etc. down the road.

Comment

• That’s really good info, thank you.

How do I check the output voltage of the stock BEC to the receiver like you mentioned above? I have a little volt meter, but not sure where to measure.

I’ll look into that BEC 2.0 as well, thank you. Any idea if the 80amp esc on the a Freewing F-14 also doesn’t not have a built in BEC? It’s hard to tell from the info on motion’s website and they cut the label off the ESCs on the model when it comes from the factory. It looks like the 80a one for the F-5 May have a built in ESC, but I want to know for sure before I upgrade that one as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gvasiloff View Post
                                          That’s really good info, thank you.

How do I check the output voltage of the stock BEC to the receiver like you mentioned above? I have a little volt meter, but not sure where to measure.

I’ll look into that BEC 2.0 as well, thank you. Any idea if the 80amp esc on the a Freewing F-14 also doesn’t not have a built in BEC? It’s hard to tell from the info on motion’s website and they cut the label off the ESCs on the model when it comes from the factory. It looks like the 80a one for the F-5 May have a built in ESC, but I want to know for sure before I upgrade that one as well.
                                          My TX and RX provide receiver voltage telemetry, so I tend to use that to see how my BEC is performing when loaded. Alternatively, some use a small device to tell visually how adequate the receiver voltage is for a given set up like one of the devices listed in the links below.

http://www.towerpro.com.tw/product/v...splay-4-86-0v/

The Castle BEC 2.0 linked below is the one I have been using.
                                          https://www.motionrc.com/products/ca...caAv0VEALw_wcB

The Freewing F-14 80mm EDF jet PNP version ESC's should be "Opto", which essentially means they do not have an internal/built-in BEC. I'm not sure if that has changed (doubtful), but when I owned that jet it had Opto ESC's. The Freewing F-5 stock ESC in the PNP version should have an internal/built-in BEC.

Comment

Working...
                                          X