X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

My TX and RX provide receiver voltage telemetry, so I tend to use that to see how my BEC is performing when loaded. Alternatively, some use a small device to tell visually how adequate the receiver voltage is for a given set up like one of the devices listed in the links below.

http://www.towerpro.com.tw/product/v...splay-4-86-0v/

The Castle BEC 2.0 linked below is the one I have been using.
    https://www.motionrc.com/products/ca...caAv0VEALw_wcB

The Freewing F-14 80mm EDF jet PNP version ESC's should be "Opto", which essentially means they do not have an internal/built-in BEC. I'm not sure if that has changed (doubtful), but when I owned that jet it had Opto ESC's. The Freewing F-5 stock ESC in the PNP version should have an internal/built-in BEC.
    Ah, perfect thank you. I looked up a picture of the F-14 ESCs and I saw that “Opto” and had no idea what that meant. Thanks for clarifying! I’m also looking into the YEP 20amp Sbec. I’m still not sure what the difference is between an SBEC, BEC, and a UBEC...

Comment

• A good read. Doesn’t talk about linear BECs though.

Comment

• Comment

• Has anyone installed a JP Hobby 6s version fan in this jet? If so, what sort of current are you pulling?

thx, Dave

Comment

• Not sure if this has been ask before so my apology if it has .I am interested in buying the F22 but not sure which one to buy ,the 6s or 8s version Is there much difference between the 6s and the 8s version .I take it the 8s is faster and last a bit longer but does the extra weight of the 2 4s batteries ( 8s ) effect the flying of the 8s over the lighter 6s version. The 6s version is cheaper and I have some 6s batteries ,If I get the 8s version I will have to buy some 4s batteries but would rather buy some more batteries then regret buying the 6s version latter on down the line

Comment

• Personally I find the 6S versions plenty powerful enough for my taste. Some feel the need for that little bit of extra top end speed and climb but I don't find the performance difference enough to warrant the extra dollars. Just my two pennies.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Captain Moron Hi, well I have the 8S Version and it has plenty of power. But the 6S version flies also very well from what I have seen. I also have the F-4 on 8S and love it. So if you have to decide between stock 6S or 8S I would go for 8S. Also having the F-18 on stock 6S and I think a bit more power would be nice to have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                  Not sure if this has been ask before so my apology if it has .I am interested in buying the F22 but not sure which one to buy ,the 6s or 8s version Is there much difference between the 6s and the 8s version .I take it the 8s is faster and last a bit longer but does the extra weight of the 2 4s batteries ( 8s ) effect the flying of the 8s over the lighter 6s version. The 6s version is cheaper and I have some 6s batteries ,If I get the 8s version I will have to buy some 4s batteries but would rather buy some more batteries then regret buying the 6s version latter on down the line
                  I bought the 6s and while I ended up wanting more I had lots of 6s batteries and didn't want to invest in additional 2 or 4 cell batteries. The stock power is fine, if you fly it right, I wanted a bit more vertical and better speed.. the stock 6s ESC is rated up to 130a, I put in a custom inrunner set up with a FMS 12 blade fan and now this and my F18 with the same setup RIP. Pulls around 100a too.
                  Now I don't really feel the need to upgrade to 8s and I do love fast low passes and rocketing into vertical climbing. Pushing both planes hard on a 6000 my F-22 timer set to 3:20 of throttle with 4+ min flights, F-18 timer set to 3:40 with 4++ mins of flight. If I fly around scale I can get 5+ mins on both.
                  I also enjoyed the process of upgrading and building/balancing my own setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                    Not sure if this has been ask before so my apology if it has .I am interested in buying the F22 but not sure which one to buy ,the 6s or 8s version Is there much difference between the 6s and the 8s version .I take it the 8s is faster and last a bit longer but does the extra weight of the 2 4s batteries ( 8s ) effect the flying of the 8s over the lighter 6s version. The 6s version is cheaper and I have some 6s batteries ,If I get the 8s version I will have to buy some 4s batteries but would rather buy some more batteries then regret buying the 6s version latter on down the line
                    First, if you have 6s batteries, you can buy 2 lipos to run in series. That's what I do with mine. Also, I had these same questions when the plane was first released and Alpha was nice enough to help me make my decision. Here's what he said about the two versions:

"I've only flown about 30 flights on 8s. The bulk of the 8s flight testing was done by our team here. The main difference between the 6s and 8s is that the 8s will give you increased static thrust, which is nice for maintaining hovers or executing extended vertical, and an increase of about ~15mph in level speed. I hesitate to quote speed increases with the F-22 because its shape can conceal other factors that will impact perceived airspeed and energy retention depending on how the pilot is flying it. For example, scrubbing energy in needlessly tight turns will eliminate much of the benefit of the 8s' wattage. This is true for any model, but with the F-22, it is even more pronounced. Suffice to say, the 8s can reward pilots with judicious energy management and who learn how to surf the model and when to apply power and when not to apply power. Pilots with the 8s system who leave the throttle at full from takeoff to landing will be treated to a very fast and powerful flight, but flight duration will suffer. The 6s, by contrast, is less in either extreme and more "balanced" overall. It's lighter, for better or worse, and slower, for better or worse, and more floaty, for better or worse, and more economical, for better or worse. For my personal preference, same as I said with the F-4, I would choose the 6s. It can do everything I want it to, which in the context of an F-22 is more than just speed runs on the deck. If someone wanted to really push the envelope with the aforementioned high speed runs and accelerate out of maneuvers more authoritatively at the cost of higher wing loading and higher cost, then I would recommend the 8s.

I probably didn't help you make a decision. Suffice to say, they're both valuable enough that we decided to carry both in PNP format. Two different airplanes, two different flight profiles, two different price points.

When I fly the 6s and 8s PNPs back to back, as I have done several times, I always set my timer for 4 minutes and land shortly thereafter. The cells typically come down near the same, with the 8s being slightly higher if there ever was a difference. The more visually apparent difference between those two flights is the "size of the arena" so to speak. With the 6s, I can fly a very tight pattern and put on a multi-maneuver show in that 4 minutes. With the 8s, the flight looks identical except the airspace covered is wider, taller. I hope that makes sense. But again, this is strictly in the context of how I fly. Frankly I'm probably the worst person to ask, because I developed the darn thing so I know its preferences, and can thus fly nearly identical flight plans on two different power systems, and also because I'm more interested in individual maneuvers, where the lighter 6s shines, as opposed to chaining maneuvers together, where the more powerful 8s shines."

Hope that helps. It certainly helped me decide on 8s. With that said, my buddy has the 6s version which I have flown as well and it performs great too!

Comment

• Buy some 2s and go with the 8s version. Later add TVs.

Comment

• My preference would be 8S. I've only seen many of both the 6S and 8S, as well as a 10S and 12S custom power system versions, but do not own the jet yet. For the relatively low cost of adding a 2S LiPo to a 6S pack in series for 8S, I think it's a great mix of performance and value. This F-22 out of all the Freewing 90mm jets is best suit for higher voltage power systems because the airframe itself lends extremely well to slow or fast flight, the battery compartment is absolutely massive, and the extra weight is much less noticeable. Even the 8S version lands incredibly slow, let alone the slow flight performance is still phenomenal. Many people do not go with the 8S version of the 90mm jets because of either the added cost (which I really don't think it all that much compared to the 6S version), or the worry of the added weight causing faster landing speeds and/or more difficult landings, the feeling of it flying heavier, and taxing of the components a bit more (landing gear, servos, etc.). This jet on 8S seems to be just fine, and it wouldn't worry me a bit. I like to have some extra zip when I want it, and when I don't I can still cruise around just fine, and it still does stunning aerobatics. For me personally, the 8S is a no-brainer. I STILL plan to order the 8S, since I don't own the F-22 yet and I am chomping at the bit.

Many of the 90mm Freewing jets on 6S I find lethargic, and I dislike flying them like that. The 80mm jets I find perform amazing on 6S, while the 90mm jets leave me wishing for much much more. So, 8S or above for the 90mm jets is my jam if it can take it somewhat easily (and this F-22 can).

Comment

• Damn that’s a long post!

Comment

• Way too long.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your advice I found what Alpha said very interesting ,thanks JamesonC for the info .What Alpha said made sense to me so I will go with 6s as I like to try and fly my models scale like .Flat out speed does not bother me to much so the 6s looks the one for me Thanks again everyone

Comment

• 8S all the way! It transforms this platform! Best bang for the buck on the 90 MM range.... Though I am Partial to the F4 as well!
                                On 6S I felt it couldn't get out of its one way. But...... Thats what we have options!!! Enjoy..... My 22 ALWAYS come to the field with me!
                                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Good Day

I acquired the Admiral RX600SP 6-Channel DSMX Receiver for the F22 Raptor plane. My transmitter is the Spectrum DX7s ver 1.03​. The receiver has:
                                  Port Servo
                                  Aux2->Power from battery, otherwise nothing works
                                  Throttle->Throttle
                                  Aileron->Aileron
                                  Elevator->Elevator
                                  Rudder->Rudder
                                  Gear->Landing Gear
                                  Aux1->Flaps

All work fine except the flaps do not work. My Wing Type is setup with "1 aileron, 1 flap" and the tail is "Normal". The Switch Select is setup with Trainer: Inh, F Mode: Inh​, Gear: Gear​, Flap: Inh​, Mix: Inh​, Knob: Inh​. I tried setting up Flap to Aux1 instead of Inh, but it does not give me that option. It only gives me the Inh or Aux2 options, and as stated I cannot connect the Flap servo to Aux2 because of the power connector. It has to remain on Aux2. In the Flap System function, I do have Sw: Flap set. I have been working on this for days to no avail in making the flaps work. Can you assist ?

Comment

• Jag_Dieppe, Don't own this airframe, but wanted to welcome you to "Hobby Squawk". Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Jag, can you post a pic of your receiver as it is in the plane? I don’t know about admiral receivers, but typically with dsm2/dsmx units the power plugs into the bind port, which would free up your aux2. Aux 1 may be gear, again I don’t know about admiral units. I think on some lemonRX units it is.

edit: disregard my ignorance please, I just looked at that receiver and see the bind port is the aux2 port. My apologies. I don’t think there is a workaround, other than maybe putting the power in on a y cable with some other channel.

Comment

• I have a DX8G2, and the only other thing I can think of is channel assignments. I’m surprised it didn’t work straight off with flaps in aux1.

Comment

• If you go into system setup, and channel assign, do you get a screen like this? And does aux1 say flap?
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X