X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeeMeDo View Post
    Well I got my maiden in Monday even with pretty good crosswinds it went great. I was doing a 360 range check and just decided to take off. Used an Admiral 6s 4000 battery, Admiral\ Lemon Rx with satellite, no gyro. Had 53% left after 3.5 minutes.
    Our runway is so rough my FW F-16 can't take off but the Avanti S took off at 3/4 throttle. Going to have a lot of fun with this for sure. Thank you for all your posts which helped.

Jeff in LA USA
    Way to Go SeeMeDo . Wait till you get a few more flights in and really start to trust this bird, it's a "trainer" in a wolf's clothing, but don't let anyone you fly with know that. It will do any acrobatic maneuver you can think of, and plenty that you can't. Wait till you try some high alpha stuff and a few knife edge passes, you'll think that it must have it's own pilot in it actually flying. It makes me look like I've actually got some skills, which couldn't be further from the truth.

The guy who designed and licenses the Havoc is one of our members and I think even he acknowledges how well the Avanti flies!
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thank you Wildman, the Avanti S flies great and the landing gear are fantastic,
      Jeff in LA USA

Comment

• Originally posted by larspe View Post

That looks great. Any chance you can send me or post the STL file so that I can print an identical tray myself? Thanks again!
        Thank you. I’m glad this can help . I’ll start a Thingiverse page and post the STL by this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildnloose View Post
          T-CAT,
          You know, I was just starting to search for pictures and ideals of receiver placement. Then I saw your idea. Great idea. I do not have a 3d printer but I surely can make something similar out of balsa. Thank you!!!
          Ha-ha, any time! What’s funny is that I actually starting building the tray out of balsa. Since I am new to 3D printers, my first thought was to just build the tray, but I realized I could design something and print it. I’m still getting used to that.

Comment

• Slightly off topic, but I finally got around to editing a video of the maiden flight of my 120mm Avanti XS. I take the Freewing Avanti out pretty much every weekend, so I wanted to try the larger one. My landing could have been better....but could have been worse!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
              Slightly off topic, but I finally got around to editing a video of the maiden flight of my 120mm Avanti XS. I take the Freewing Avanti out pretty much every weekend, so I wanted to try the larger one. My landing could have been better....but could have been worse!

Congrats on the flight . The characters you placed as the pilots are awesome, ha-ha.

Comment

• Niiice!

Comment

• Hi all have just finished off assembly mine it has been coated with a gloss eurathan and i made my own nose leg support i also made a deck to mount the RX above the program board , i am using 5000 6s 40c that i use in my Prometheus bipe plane ,i have set up three rates on elevator,aieliron and flaps . I am not going to set up delays on flaps or retracts . We have a grass runway which is reasonable .I like to set a new model CG a bit on the nose and have seen some say they set it st 115 mm I have set mine at 110 , anyway hope to maiden on Wednesday if the weather gods play nice , oh i did also read that some reduce the rates on the rudder/ nose wheel to assist in takeoff tracking , should i do this . As a bit of fun i have an afterburner ring on the rear wish me luck
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by rsunleaded View Post
                    Hi all have just finished off assembly mine it has been coated with a gloss eurathan and i made my own nose leg support i also made a deck to mount the RX above the program board , i am using 5000 6s 40c that i use in my Prometheus bipe plane ,i have set up three rates on elevator,aieliron and flaps . I am not going to set up delays on flaps or retracts . We have a grass runway which is reasonable .I like to set a new model CG a bit on the nose and have seen some say they set it st 115 mm I have set mine at 110 , anyway hope to maiden on Wednesday if the weather gods play nice , oh i did also read that some reduce the rates on the rudder/ nose wheel to assist in takeoff tracking , should i do this . As a bit of fun i have an afterburner ring on the rear wish me luck
                    Nice work, good luck on the maiden but you won't need much luck, this is such a sweet flying EDF, certainly one of the best. IMO, I would not necessarily reduce the rate on the rudder, in fact you may want to set a high rate on the rudder in the event you want to knife edge with the Avanti, which it will do very nicely. Instead, you may just put in a lower rate on the rudder for take-off, then switch to mid or high rates in the air. Also, it really doesn't even need take-off flaps (and will lift off quickly even without 100% throttle), even on grass (which I also fly on) but full flaps on landing is nice. It floats in very nicely so let it slow down on landing so you can land on the mains first. The only way you can get in trouble on landing this EDF is with too much speed and landing on the nose gear first, a big no-no, like all EDF's, which may give it a little bounce on landing and thereafter something you can't control.

Regarding the CG, I fly mine with a RT 6250 (about 75 g heavier than your 5000) and I have the battery way back under the foam. It has a fairly wide CG envelope but again IMO it flies better in the 120-125 mm range, allowing for you to fly it slow in high alpha and helps in keeping the nose up in landing.

BTW, I also have the P-2 Bi-Plane, don't see it much anymore and got it when it first came out, looks great and flies well but rarely get it out much more. It is a bit heavy for the wing loading, especially compared to my 60" Beast Bi-Plane which is much larger and actually lighter (balsa and monocoat-not foam) which gets more flying time when I decide to take a Bi-Plane out.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hi

Comment

• Hh

Comment

• Well what can i say committed an absolute rookie mistake and i have been flying RC for almost 30 years , aileron set reversed which resulted in roll to the left on liftoff , and broke the nose off ,and broke the wing spar, really felt so stupid anyway after a careful examination i have ordered a new fuse ,wing spar , wing fence no other damage and have stripped it out and will keep it for small damage repair oh well when you have been involved with aero modelling for over 60 years ,30 years this time i have lost count of the number of models that have not survived maiden as i have always said GRAVITY ALWAYS WINS will report back when it is repaired

Comment

• Originally posted by rsunleaded View Post
                            ...Well what can i say committed an absolute rookie mistake and i have been flying RC for almost 30 years , aileron set reversed which resulted in roll to the left on liftoff , and broke the nose off ,and broke the wing spar...
                            Oops, sorry to hear that, I just did that myself a month ago with another plane. Ready to re-maiden the plane tomorrow. It's funny how once you get it stuck in your mind that something was already checked, it is hard to notice it being wrong. Full scale pilots have strict checklists, and still a lot of accidents boil down to "forgot a checklist item." Humans are stupid, machines will rule us all someday, lol. Anyway, best wishes on the re-maiden. It is a nice plane, worth fixing.

Comment

• Hello To all
                              I am new to EDF and just got my Red Avanty and i have a few questions

1 I am flying at 7000 feet would it be better to use a 12 blades or the 9 blades

2 I noticed that the space between the blades and the housing is very big has any one done something to reduce that gap?? i know that the point of ducting a propeller is to aboid the turbulence at the tip of the blades or isnt it???

3 I have just fly the Avanti 2 times and i noticed that on turns it takes a big dive needs a lot of elevator is that ok??? or i might be too nose heavy???

Thanks for your help
                              BTW I also bought the Freewing F14 it looks incredible but i am too afraid to fly it hehehehehehe

Comment

• Just purchased my own Avanti S and I’m extremely excited to say the least. My question is, what are your favorite mods to do? I’d like to get pilots, paint the cockpit, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdarland View Post
                                  Just purchased my own Avanti S and I’m extremely excited to say the least. My question is, what are your favorite mods to do? I’d like to get pilots, paint the cockpit, etc.
                                  For me it didn't need a lot of mods, just an outstanding flying sport jet. Gets over 5 minutes of aggressive flying on a RT 6250. Lands easy, takes off of grass in a short distance and can knife edge all day long. Very easy to get into a slow high alpha and stay there until you punch it out.

I did do a bit with the cockpit and added 2 pilots, added a little extra paint and covered the entire jet with 4 coats of clear gloss spar urethane, added an afterburner just for the hell of it and did add some carbon fiber tubes to the nose gear doors because after a while, the spring holding it closed bows the doors in. Some reinforced the base of the nose gear retract, but after 150 flights I haven't had an issue so it is still stock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_002638.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	286580Click image for larger version

Name:	20191002_205641.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	286581Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_215545.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	286582Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_132916.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	286583Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_115609.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	286584
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by jdarland View Post
                                    Just purchased my own Avanti S and I’m extremely excited to say the least. My question is, what are your favorite mods to do? I’d like to get pilots, paint the cockpit, etc.
                                    1. A popular "burner" mod is available from the RC Geek:
                                    The original CenterBurner line of simulated afterburner lighting systems is the world’s best and most trusted simulated afterburner lighting system! Designed around a custom built LED light boards, it provides a center "glow" and flame effect like a full size jet aircraft afterburner!

2. There is a lot of debate on this thread about "put on the wing fences or not". People seem to have different preferences. I like them: (a) knife edges better; (b) lands slower; (c) protects the servos a bit if you carry the thing around with gear retracted.

3. Some people put a nosegear brace on. I printed up a few of these, but didn't bother to install it yet.
                                    This is a part for the Nose gear brace/support for the Freewing AvantiS in ABS or PLA, 30% filling, 0.2mm resolution, 5 layers everywhere If your plane never flew yet print the +1mm, i used the -1mm because i had a crash and i bent the front gear, i could not repaired it as a new one. -1mm = 13mm from the gear to the back of the plate 0mm = 14mm +1mm= 15mm +2mm= 16mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0F_y3McXKQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I did do a bit with the cockpit and added 2 pilots, added a little extra paint and covered the entire jet with 4 coats of clear gloss spar urethane
                                      Excellent job! The pilots are awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

1. A popular "burner" mod is available from the RC Geek:
                                        https://thercgeek.com/the-centerburner/
                                        That's the one I used, have them in all of my EDF's except the A-10 (but I sure wanted to but got talked out of it since the A-10 does not have them-but then my Stinger 90 and Avanti probably shouldn't either but who cares, they look too cool to go without them). Also it helps if you line the exhaust nozzles with Aluminum AC tape, shines even in bright sunlight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191002_180354.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	286627
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Possibly brace the front gear doors. Think of a way to keep the nose gear doors spring up after gear deploy, it usually falls. It still works fine, just looks funky. Although I don't want to spend the money, a faster edf setup would be ideal too, but its not necessary. I put a tailcone on mine, painted it black. I really like the way it looks. I painted the jet with a durable coating, satin finish. I like it, makes the foam a little tougher.

Comment

Working...
                                          X