Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have comparative info on the performance of the 3672 1900KV 9 blade 90mm vs the 4068 1835kv 12 blade 90mm on the FA18 or any other jet?
    Static thrust comparison for short grass field TO?
    Top speed difference?
    Sound difference?

Comment

• >10% more static thrust on the 1835kv

Slightly slower top speed, most likely, 2-4 mph

Sound is more whoosh vs. whine.

Significantly heavier than the 1900kv

Comment

• Thanks! Sounds like you’d not recommend swapping out the current stock 1900kv?

Comment

• Originally posted by Modelhead View Post
          Thanks! Sounds like you’d not recommend swapping out the current stock 1900kv?
          Depends on what you're hoping to achieve. The 1835kv to me is a mandatory upgrade for 6S to something like the F-22 where (I'm) flying a lot of alpha and accelerating from slow flight often. The extra thrust is necessary and warranted.

I don't fly my F-18 the same way and fly it a lot more scale like, so it's not necessary (to me), to upgrade. I find the new stock power plant and speed adequate on a relatively light for the size plane. However, if I were flying off of long or wet grass I might still want to upgrade. I've got a spare 1835kv EDF in my parts box but haven't seen a need to put it in the F-18.

Comment

• I fly out of my house off of my lawn. I live on the water. I have and Avanti 80 mm that I takeoff and land no problem. However the Avanti uses 75% of my usable “runaway“. What I need is the most thrust available to get it airborne quickly. I’m not so much worried about landing as the landing direction is uphill and shouldn’t be an issue.I’m curious does your F-18 have the newer 1900kv or does yours have the older motor set up? Also, since it sounds like you fly the free wing F 18, at high alpha entering a stall does it nose forward nicely or does it tend to tip stall? Thanks in advance for the conversation.

Comment

I fly out of my house off of my lawn. I live on the water. I have and Avanti 80 mm that I takeoff and land no problem. However the Avanti uses 75% of my usable “runaway“. What I need is the most thrust available to get it airborne quickly. I’m not so much worried about landing as the landing direction is uphill and shouldn’t be an issue.I’m curious does your F-18 have the newer 1900kv or does yours have the older motor set up? Also, since it sounds like you fly the free wing F 18, at high alpha entering a stall does it nose forward nicely or does it tend to tip stall? Thanks in advance for the conversation.
              Mine has the newer 1900kv motor.

I've been flying off pavement, but if I had any concern about getting off quickly, I'd put in the 1835kv EDF and make sure to use T/O flaps. Mine rotates quickly in about 100-125 ft., but again, off of pavement. It's balanced to be fairly neutral, with only minor down stick pressure inverted and in an inverted upline 45 degree test. If you're nose heavy expect longer.

The F-18 has a tendency to stall to drop a wing and enter an incipient spin in a stall, not stall straight ahead, both in accelerated and conventional stalls. It's not hard to fly, but will bite if you run out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

Comment

What I need is the most thrust available to get it airborne quickly. I’m not so much worried about landing as the landing direction is uphill and shouldn’t be an issue.
                The F-18 is tricky to land in confined spaces, maybe not the best jet to take-off and land on your lawn, be it uphill or not.

Originally posted by Modelhead View Post
                Also, since it sounds like you fly the free wing F 18, at high alpha entering a stall does it nose forward nicely or does it tend to tip stall?
                Forget about sustained high alpha with this Hornet.
                It just doesn't do it. It tip-stalls badly and bites you hard in the back. :'(

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                  Forget about sustained high alpha with this Hornet. It just doesn't do it. It tip-stalls badly and bites you hard in the back. :'(
                  I wouldn't dream of attempting high alpha with this F-18, not even with your setup!

My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Vectored Thrust Unit please Motion RC!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
                      >10% more static thrust on the 1835kv

Slightly slower top speed, most likely, 2-4 mph

Sound is more whoosh vs. whine.

Significantly heavier than the 1900kv
                      Thanks, Mizer67 , been wondering how much more thrust the 12 blade delivers over the stock 9 blade. I just finished putting the 1835 Kv 12 blade in both of my F-4's and F-18 Canadian. I already had one in my F-16 when I got it as an ARF and it performs exceptional in that for getting off of grass and vertical, so the upgrade was called for. To give you an idea of just how much power that 12 blade has, in the F-16 (which everyone complained flew "heavy"), I now use a brick of a battery, the HobbyStar 8000 mah in it and it flies exactly the same (including TO and vertical) as it did with a much lighter RT 5500 mah, but pushes the flight time to over 5 minutes. This is currently the only EDF that the 8000 can fly with, but hoping to try it in the F-4 and F-18 at some point (assuming I can even get it to fit in and it doesn't destroy the CG-100 to 110 in my case for the F-18).

The F-4's and F-18 had the original 9 blade 1750 Kv Outrunner so the upgrade was significant. Modelhead, if the cost isn't prohibitive, I definitely recommend the 12 blade, even if yours already has the upgraded 9 blade since you have a shortened grass runway. It turned my birds into rocket ships, reducing the take off run (with TO Flaps) to almost 1/2 the previous distance (but again that was over the original outrunner). I don't know what the 9 blade weighs in at, but the 12 blade weighed 545g, about 150 g heavier than the original outrunner. But there's no substitute for horsepower.

The F-4's get off the grass in 100 feet and the F-18 in slightly less, even though my F-18 has an extra 450 g of weight in modifications which has virtually no affect on that 12 blade. They all get off in about the same distance as my Avanti, but then I don't use TO flaps with that. I'm convinced the 0-60 off the line is superior to the 9 blade, its performance going vertical is superior and I have to say the sound, at least for me, is much better, as M67 says, a much more guttural whoosh vs a "school girl" whine. The 12 blade now is definitely my "Breakfast of Champions" for any 90mm.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I took the liberty of filming my Avanti punching off my makeshift downhill runway. Note at what point it goes airborne relative to the end of the “runway”. Curious what you guys’ thoughts are on how the F18 with the stock 1900 KV will perform relative to this? Perhaps I should maiden elsewhere??? I approach and land from a different direction. Vid to follow.

Comment

• Here is the approach and landing. It was longer than typical.. There’s another additional 50 feet beyond where she stopped before hitting a rock wall. There are no go arounds. Thoughts on landing the F18 here please. Thanks!

Comment

I took the liberty of filming my Avanti punching off my makeshift downhill runway. Note at what point it goes airborne relative to the end of the “runway”. Curious what you guys’ thoughts are on how the F18 with the stock 1900 KV will perform relative to this? Perhaps I should maiden elsewhere??? I approach and land from a different direction. Vid to follow.
                            That’s like a carrier takeoff and landing! Good job. It’s risky with the F/A-18C though as the Avanti is still lighter and lands slower, so they don’t compare well. It would likely be beneficial to select a more advantageous and safer takeoff/landing area.

Comment

Here is the approach and landing. It was longer than typical.. There’s another additional 50 feet beyond where she stopped before hitting a rock wall. There are no go arounds. Thoughts on landing the F18 here please. Thanks!
                              Wow, you got some major cajones and skills to match. Can't speak regarding the 9 blade but the 12 blade I just put in my F-18 Canadian would need another 30 feet at least beyond the Avanti. Although my 2 F-4's and the F-18 do take-off now with the 12 blade in almost the same distance as my Avanti, but that's on a level grass field (not the down slope you have) and use TO flaps where I do not use TO flaps with my Avanti. I also suspect the 12 blade, as mentioned earlier by Mizer67, has about 10% more static thrust than the 9 blade so my distances may be shorter than you would get on the 9 blade.

In the end, I definitely would agree with T-CAT , at least for the maiden, first fly it at another location and measure the exact distance you'll need, for both taking off and landing. No need to send her into the drink on the first flight. No doubt, that downhill take-off strip will eventually help, but so would a nice 10-15mph headwind. ​​​​​​​
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Just got a head's up from EA-6B Geek that my F-18 Canadian appeared in April's Focal Point section of Model Aviation News, thanks for the heads up as I've yet to even receive it. Did look up the digital version and yup, there it was. Can't for the life of me figure out who submitted it. OK, to be honest (not my strong suit), I did, back in August. Jennifer told me then that they were getting hundreds of submissions since everyone was locked up doing nothing but building, but that sooner or later, she'd get it in. I later submitted my A-10 Arctic Thunder I think around October and she told me that was in the que as well, but to be patient. I usually leave the issues stacked up and get around to them when I have to go someplace and sit and wait, like a doctors office, so no telling how long it would have taken for me to find out. I don't get very much useful info out of the magazine (all of my info/recommendations/guidance comes from the brilliant and knowledgeable folks in this forum-which I'm extremely grateful for), but I do like the Focal Point section because I love to see the incredible work people are doing. And occasionally there are a few ads of interest or a feature on a new release that's interesting. I had another article that also appeared a couple years ago on a War Birds event one of our clubs hosted, and they included a written synopsis of the event I did along with pictures I submitted, including one of my B-24's that miraculously ended up winning Best World War II Warbird (the judges must have been bribed).

Anyway, I would love to see all the outstanding looking F-18's that many of you guys have posted here also appear in the Magazine, as well as the outstanding Mig's, AL-37's and others. It's kind of fun to see something in print and be able to say hey, I know that guy, well sort of, at least through this forum. All you need to do is e-mail your best photo, along with a short write up on the aircraft itself, and it will eventually appear. Let's flood this magazine with MRC products and all of us Squawkers!

You can submit it through www.modelaviation.com, or better yet, just send an e-mail directly to Jenni Alderman, at jennifer@modelaircraft.org. Don't tell her I referred you or she'll probably never talk to me again, as I can achieve that end without any extra help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210328_013337.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	306213
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                  Just got a head's up from EA-6B Geek that my F-18 Canadian appeared in April's Focal Point section of Model Aviation News, thanks for the heads up as I've yet to even receive it. Did look up the digital version and yup, there it was. Can't for the life of me figure out who submitted it. OK, to be honest (not my strong suit), I did, back in August. Jennifer told me then that they were getting hundreds of submissions since everyone was locked up doing nothing but building, but that sooner or later, she'd get it in. I later submitted my A-10 Arctic Thunder I think around October and she told me that was in the que as well, but to be patient. I usually leave the issues stacked up and get around to them when I have to go someplace and sit and wait, like a doctors office, so no telling how long it would have taken for me to find out. I don't get very much useful info out of the magazine (all of my info/recommendations/guidance comes from the brilliant and knowledgeable folks in this forum-which I'm extremely grateful for), but I do like the Focal Point section because I love to see the incredible work people are doing. And occasionally there are a few ads of interest or a feature on a new release that's interesting. I had another article that also appeared a couple years ago on a War Birds event one of our clubs hosted, and they included a written synopsis of the event I did along with pictures I submitted, including one of my B-24's that miraculously ended up winning Best World War II Warbird (the judges must have been bribed).

Anyway, I would love to see all the outstanding looking F-18's that many of you guys have posted here also appear in the Magazine, as well as the outstanding Mig's, AL-37's and others. It's kind of fun to see something in print and be able to say hey, I know that guy, well sort of, at least through this forum. All you need to do is e-mail your best photo, along with a short write up on the aircraft itself, and it will eventually appear. Let's flood this magazine with MRC products and all of us Squawkers!

You can submit it through www.modelaviation.com, or better yet, just send an e-mail directly to Jenni Alderman, at jennifer@modelaircraft.org. Don't tell her I referred you or she'll probably never talk to me again, as I can achieve that end without any extra help.

Congratulations!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                    Just got a head's up from EA-6B Geek that my F-18 Canadian appeared in April's Focal Point section of Model Aviation News.

Hugh, Hah, looks like a classified ad. You're not selling to get the MiG are you? Seriously excellent ink my friend. Congrats! Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hugh, Hah, looks like a classified ad. You're not selling to get the MiG are you? Seriously excellent ink my friend. Congrats! Best, LB
                                      Not a bad idea, as long as you'll sell me your F-18 Black Aces!
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Congrats Hugh Wiedman! Well deserved!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Speed DEMON
                                          F-18 with the 90mm 1835 inrunner on a Roaring Top 70C 5500 🔥 142mph over the ground 😎😎

Comment

Working...
                                          X