Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Dkalwishky, I'll be interested to know how the Castle struts install. Like xviper2 said, might have to order both sets to get scissors all around. I'm also on the lookout for a retract unit, at least for the nose gear that goes greater than 90 degrees like the real one. Like 100 or 105 degrees. The washer thing kind of works but one too many washers and the gear door won't close. Brandon, there's a challenge for you. See what you can find, I know they're out there and you seem to have a talent for finding parts from other planes of the same scale that work well on our little P-38. Endeavor to persevere! Brad

Comment

• Guys I'm looking to buy the P-38, not sure which color I want and I see the silver is out of stock, did it just go out of stock or has it been a while?

Comment

• I was not sure about what version i wanted. The silver pacific version is what the highest scoring US aces flew and where the p-38 strengths seemed to excel. That is the version i first wanted but i believe the silver is a thinner paint that may show more of the foam"cells"(have 2 hk aircraft that this was the case). Right or wrong, this and zooming in on fl p38 spare parts led me to the green fl p-38. Foam cells are quite visible on some parts but the green fills in most of the airframe cells quite nicely. I love the way this airplane looks and flies. I think orientation issues are minor between silver or the two tone green. Think silver sold out recently. Green seems less popular by a small margin based on sell outs. Better buy NOW.
        Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by CFIT rob View Post
          I was not sure about what version i wanted. The silver pacific version is what the highest scoring US aces flew and where the p-38 strengths seemed to excel. That is the version i first wanted but i believe the silver is a thinner paint that may show more of the foam"cells"(have 2 hk aircraft that this was the case). Right or wrong, this and zooming in on fl p38 spare parts led me to the green fl p-38. Foam cells are quite visible on some parts but the green fills in most of the airframe cells quite nicely. I love the way this airplane looks and flies. I think orientation issues are minor between silver or the two tone green. Think silver sold out recently. Green seems less popular by a small margin based on sell outs. Better buy NOW.
          Get both of them.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• dittos....both of them :)
            Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Interesting how picking a P38 has become like choosing what color of underwear to wear today! Hmmmm, what color!?!?!?

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

I have the Dubro also. 1st i balance the spinners. Most all the time I use electrical tape pieces to place inside the spinner at the high point(lightest) determined after giving her a spin or two, to determine the "high"/light part of the spinner. You'll see and be able to guess, or remove portions of tape to get the spinner ballanced. Most the time this is a pretty quick process. I have in some cases, used drops of CA to balance.

Then i put any decals on the props and spray a light coat of clear KRYLON Acrylic to give the decals a little more durability of not coming off. I then mount the props to the spinners. Give the prop/spinner a spin and see which prop is the heavy one (ends up at 6 oclock or close. If blade ends up at say the 7 position. The blade at 7 is the heaviest, and the other blade to your right as you look at it is at about 3, this is the second heaviest blade. Add weight to the lightest blade (closest to 12 oclock position) Most the time i use some clear scotch tape for weight. Don't be afraid to add a 2" long piece down the middle of the back side light blade to start out. It won't take many tape pieces and soon, the SECOND heaviest blade will be ending up at the 12 o'clock position. This tells you that the lightest blade to start out, and heaviest, are now close to the same. NOW, add just a little bit to that blade at 12(now the lightest) and "Wallah! You should be able to give her a spin, and it should not be stopping in the same position because a blade(s) is heavier.

NOTE: If in no hurry...Instead of scotch tape, i will keep adding very thin coats of acrylic for weight.
                Forgot to ask. When you balanced the spinners, I assume you balance the back plate as well?
                Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• Yes. When I described balance of the "spinner" before mounting props. That's what I was referring to. .the back plate.
                  Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLTRI View Post

I had the same problem, and found a simple fix.

I installed the blades to the hub on the bench, and screwed (torqued?) them down to what felt good and snug, without stripping the hub or cracking a blade. After balancing, I installed them on the plane. With the spinner off, I was looking at the hub and blade, and discovered a couple of the screw weren't fully seated. With the props on the plane, I went back over each screw. Backed them all out slightly, and then re-torqued each one, one at a time. It's just easier to see and "feel" each screw and blade when it's on the plane...
                    Howdy! I'm at the prop balance stage on my P-38 and can't find a video anywhere, even youtube (SHOCK.......!!!) that addresses balancing 3 blade hubs and spinners.They only want to talk about just the blades. Very disappointing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:s:shy:
                    Bob Duncan

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post

Howdy! I'm at the prop balance stage on my P-38 and can't find a video anywhere, even youtube (SHOCK.......!!!) that addresses balancing 3 blade hubs and spinners.They only want to talk about just the blades. Very disappointing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:s:shy:
                      I just haven't had time to make a video on how i balanced my 38's props, but will soon. A little bit earlier in this thread i described my technique...but anyway, here's a couple vids i found. Same idea as i use.

How to correctly balance 3 blade Propeller for Radio Control Model Aircraft

I made this video to show how to balance 3-blade plastic propellors (props) for RC models. Whether its an RC Plane, quadcopter, hexacopter, drone, etc. This ...

Here's a vid that will help also with the plate/hub balancing.

Learn how to balance your RC propeller and spinner using Du-Bro's Tru-Spin Propeller Balancer. Prop balancing and spinner balancing is easy and can improve ...

Learn how to balance your RC propeller and spinner using Du-Bro's Tru-Spin Propeller Balancer. Prop balancing and spinner balancing is easy and can improve ...

Lon

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

I just haven't had time to make a video on how i balanced my 38's props, but will soon. A little bit earlier in this thread i described my technique...but anyway, here's a couple vids i found. Same idea as i use.

How to correctly balance 3 blade Propeller for Radio Control Model Aircraft

I made this video to show how to balance 3-blade plastic propellors (props) for RC models. Whether its an RC Plane, quadcopter, hexacopter, drone, etc. This ...

Here's a vid that will help also with the plate/hub balancing.

Thanks Lon. I've been looking at these videos as well. Have you seen this one? What are your thoughts?
                        Bob Duncan

Comment

• Joining the Allied Green P-38 community ;). Found a local seller that bought it and doesn't want it (still unflown and not built), and selling it for $250. That deal is too difficult to pass up. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                            Joining the Allied Green P-38 community ;). Found a local seller that bought it and doesn't want it (still unflown and not built), and selling it for $250. That deal is too difficult to pass up. :D
                            Great deal!! $$ My bet is you will love it :)
                            Lon

Comment

• I'm hoping so :D. It looks to fly amazing just judging by the videos and seeing it at the field.

Comment

• NO WAY!!!
                                Great deal T Cat.
                                Now I wonder if the local field guru convinced him it was a poor airplane. If so, you might want to send him a letter of thanks!!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks! Ha-ha, if I found out that was the cause, I'll be sure to write a thank you letter :D. From the sounds of it, the gentlemen selling the plane just isn't into foam planes and it was an impulse buy. Thankfully that allows me to get into this plane for less money so I have some left over to put the suspension struts on it and purchase some batteries.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                    Thanks! Ha-ha, if I found out that was the cause, I'll be sure to write a thank you letter :D. From the sounds of it, the gentlemen selling the plane just isn't into foam planes and it was an impulse buy. Thankfully that allows me to get into this plane for less money so I have some left over to put the suspension struts on it and purchase some batteries.
                                    Don't forget the real engine sounds and other audable sounds from "MrRCSound." Real engine sounds, guns and more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fG0NNImI7I
                                    Bob Duncan

Comment

• I would love to do that! I just have some save some more cash or at least maiden it before I sink more dough into the plane. :)

Comment

• Is there any update on the ETA of the suspension struts upgrade MotionRC is offering?

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                          I just ordered the landing gear from Castle. Can't wait to get and install them!
                                          They showed up today, really wish the nose gear had shocks. They look very nice, can't wait to install them this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                          X