X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys,
    Because in my opinion F22 remains bets jet i want to order one, but i have some constraints. Until now i flew only acrobats and our field is with grass. I want to buy a PNP version 6S. I read a lot of this topic but i have yet some questions. F22 stock 6S is capable to take off from grass?
    I saw for flying this plane is need to have a receiver with min 6 ch. What configuration did you use? I ask you because i don't understand how can i setup so many servos with only 6 ch?
    Another problem is what battery to buy? What is minimum needed for this plane as capacity? I read 4000 is not good, need to have 5000-6000? And how C? 5000 60C will be ok? Here what is minimum? If i choose 35C/70 burst i saw the weight is less 100 gr vs 50c for example.
    Thank you for your opinions,
    Badan Kit - Yak55M 2.8m; EF - Extra 300 2.3m; Multiplex - Funcub;Funjet Ultra2;Parkmaster;FW - F22 90-X45 Xicoy;ROBBE MISTRAL 2.0

Comment

• This will fly just fine from grass.
      All of the servos are tied into a junction box that essentially Y's together ailerons, flaps, elevators, rudders and landing gear, and then has one lead for each to go to your RX. So a 6-ch RX would be fine.
      I fly my 6S jets on RoaringTop 5800 35C and 6250 35C. Both are plenty for this jet.
      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        First the mAh does not directly translate to weight. The F-22 is one of the most forgiving planes as far as weight is concerned. But you will, or at least I did, notice a 1/4 or 1/2 lb difference.

the Motion rep should never have recommended a 4000. I would recommend a 6000 and even a light weigh 8000.
        hi Evan ,
        Can you please give more details on a light 8000 battery so I can purchase and try one out ?

would you say C rating on battery translates to weight ?

what C rating you recomend for stock f22 , 90mm, 6S ?

take care , Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post

I pretty much only fly my 90s with 6000s. The F22, F18 and F4 don't seem to notice the weight and actually fly a bit better overall. I do notice a slight increase in vertical with a 5000 as expected but the 6000 is no slouch in that area. I'm also not using the stock 6s EDF fan in any of mine though.
          hi , so what Benifits have you found not using stock 6S EDF ?

thanks Joe

Comment

• Don’t trust C ratings printed on site or batteries. There are some 25C packs I’ve used successfully in 90mm EDFs and some high C that puffed. My suggestion is to listen to what works for others and buy one and try it, if it works buy more.

I really think a 6-6200 50C is the sweet spot for the F-22 on 6S.

I have two of these 8000...

https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-80...o-battery.html

Originally posted by rcfun View Post

hi Evan ,
            Can you please give more details on a light 8000 battery so I can purchase and try one out ?

would you say C rating on battery translates to weight ?

what C rating you recomend for stock f22 , 90mm, 6S ?

take care , Joe

Comment

• ok, understood, thanks, but how can i do some mix for all these surfaces? some crow, some flaperons for elevator, or frein i saw here a movie..or in this case i have to abandon bluebox and use only my receiver
              Badan Kit - Yak55M 2.8m; EF - Extra 300 2.3m; Multiplex - Funcub;Funjet Ultra2;Parkmaster;FW - F22 90-X45 Xicoy;ROBBE MISTRAL 2.0

Comment

• Originally posted by Oachidori View Post
                ok, understood, thanks, but how can i do some mix for all these surfaces? some crow, some flaperons for elevator, or frein i saw here a movie..or in this case i have to abandon bluebox and use only my receiver
                Then you will need at least a 10-ch RX, 11 if you want nose steering separate, and you would need to bypass the junction box. This also means you would need to run wiring to the ailerons, flaps and main landing gear as those are handled through ribbon cables from the junction box. Your channel minimums would be:

1 Throttle
                2 Ailerons
                2 Elevators
                2 Rudders
                2 Flaps
                1 Landing Gear
                Pat

Comment

• And it takes a lot of mixes to then get the surfaces to do everything. What radio do you use?

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

And it takes a lot of mixes to then get the surfaces to do everything. What radio do you use?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UtXjl_rg4c
                    I have a Multiplex Royal SX and a receiver with 12 ch for this plane.All these mix i already have because i had a F 22 home made on depron and i had exactly all these surfaces without landing gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by rcfun View Post

cool , TKS for heads up , I fly edf and turbine jets , for me looking for real time battery energy or fuel remaining while flying to get longest possible flights telemetry !!

when I purchased rc motion f22 90mm, the tech on phone recomended the 6s 4000ma battery , which I purchased, flies great but very short flights

so I am thinking with right programming and telemetry Jeti radio can get me bingo notification time to land with out constantly getting voltage readings .

i will ck out resources you recommend, TKS again..joe
                      I put Mui 150 in all of my jets. This will give you live mah consumed, voltage, amps and will hold that information in a data analyser so you can go over the whole flight at a later date.
                      I fly to mah consumed setting alarms to remind me through the flight. That and voltage warnings means for example I can get 8 minute flights out of a FMS 80mm hawk. Using a 5300 6s and landing at storage voltage

Comment

And it takes a lot of mixes to then get the surfaces to do everything. What radio do you use?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UtXjl_rg4c
                        Hey Evan,
                        i could make the same mixes but without TV.Anyway how do you use these mixes in flight i speak? I remembered i had a mix with ailerons end flaps and for small speed i used both flaps and ailerons like ailerons and after 50% of throttle only ailerons. I suppose crow you use it only after landing? Can you give me more details about your experience with this plane?

Comment

• Typically I fly with a regular set up like the manual. On high rates I have full span ailerons and tailerons. I don’t like the feel of full span flaps so don’t use them. As you note I normally use crow and rudder air brakes after landing (very effective) but I have played with them in flight and it is interesting how fast it slows in the air. Using them with a cobra maneuver is pretty cool.

My TVs are mechanical and always on so it effects everything too.

Comment

• I asked this question on another forum, but thought I'd try here in case it was more active for the F-22.

I bought the 6S version of the F-22 from Motion, waiting for it to get to me, but already looking at a little modding. I'm looking to keep it light for high alpha and the smaller fields that I have to fly at now. I have the FMS fan in 80mm and it was a very large upgrade vs. my 4-year old Freewing 3530 motor, while being lighter to boot vs. the (older) FW "high speed" edition.

So, it has me looking at 90mm fan options to give a little more vertical than stock. Has anyone tried either the FMS 1900kV 3546 motor or alternately, the Freewing 4068-1835kV HET inrunner motor in the F-22? Not really looking for a whole lot more top-end speed, but would like the additional vertical from what I've seen.

Comment

• Mizer67 Hi Mizer, our 4068-1845kv inrunner setup will increase the vertical, acceleration, and a small bit of speed in the F-22. I haven't tried the FMS 3546 so other would need to weigh in there.
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Mizer67 Hi Mizer, our 4068-1845kv inrunner setup will increase the vertical, acceleration, and a small bit of speed in the F-22. I haven't tried the FMS 3546 so other would need to weigh in there.
                                Thanks Alpha! I appreciate the reply.

I was able to chase down some specs. to compare on these EDFs, which I didn't think I would find:

4068-1835 (12-bld)
                                Weight: 515 gr
                                Thrust: 4200-4400 grams (assuming this is a peak number)
                                Installed Thrust (.72% of peak est.) = 3100 gr
                                Thrust increase vs. stock net of weight = 2975 gr

3546-1900 (12-bld)
                                Weight: 327 gr
                                Thrust: 3940 grams (assuming this is at ~25.2V although not indicated on the video), so not much difference, minus the 63 gr. of weight. Maybe more thrust from 12 bld. vs. 9, but can't tell pitch...
                                Installed Thrust (.72) = 2800 gr
                                Thrust increase vs. stock net of weight = 2863 gr

(Stock) 3746-1750 (9-bld)
                                Weight: 390 gr
                                Thrust: 3800-3900 gr
                                Installed Thrust = 2770 gr
                                Thrust increase vs. stock net of weight = N/A

Obviously all of these are without losses from being installed in the aircraft. I expect to weight ~3,694 grams with battery (6S, 5000).

My 80mm 2100kv pro motor only puts out 2750 - 2800 grams installed at peak voltage (vs. the 3500 claimed, in a test stand I assume), which is fantastic for the Mirage (mine weighs 2260 grams).

If I assume ~28% loss on the F-22, but even with the added 125 gr. of weight, it does appear to provide a ~7% advantage (on paper) to the heavier inrunner vs. stock. 28% might be a tad high though, it's only an estimate...I'd assumed more like 20% loss to be more common.

Thanks for helping me noodle that out. I'm sure I'm missing something, as my knowledge is limited, but it helps on paper to see.

Comment

• I'm happy to help where I can. Two notes:

1) Take all manufacturer's specs with a grain of salt. Most all are benchmark results. Once installed in an aircraft, results will vary. The same unit installed in a 90mm F-22 versus a 90mm Stinger 90 or 90mm F-86 will yield different results. Ultimately, specs will get you close, but still expect to install it before making a final judgement on which is better at obtaining your specific performance objectives.

2) I designed our F-22 around the Freewing fan, so be mindful of adaptation requirements. Those who have installed Jetfan shrouds can attest to this.

Whichever you choose, your spread of options are all on the right track.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                    I'm happy to help where I can. Two notes:

1) Take all manufacturer's specs with a grain of salt. Most all are benchmark results. Once installed in an aircraft, results will vary. The same unit installed in a 90mm F-22 versus a 90mm Stinger 90 or 90mm F-86 will yield different results. Ultimately, specs will get you close, but still expect to install it before making a final judgement on which is better at obtaining your specific performance objectives.

2) I designed our F-22 around the Freewing fan, so be mindful of adaptation requirements. Those who have installed Jetfan shrouds can attest to this.

Whichever you choose, your spread of options are all on the right track.
                                    Agree on the specs. being at best, approximate. As I've gotten into EDFs, I test thrust with a pull scale. It's not as nice as a stand and lose some losses in this method to inaccuracy and to friction, but the best I can accomplish inexpensively to get vector direction of what the T/W ratio is for any changes made.

Testing (with a sample of one on my Mirage) is what showed 28% loss from both installation and likely somewhat inflated mfg. maximum specs. I've been through a few fan changes there, usually Freewing drop-ins.

I do hate foam carving and love simple "drop-in" mods that are also reversible, so that does help codify an initial direction as I have no experience in 90mm's so far. I've yet to dive into higher-end setups (Jetfan and the like), but imagine I'll go there eventually.

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

• Originally posted by john2kx View Post
                                      The aura 8 was the first flight stabilizer I tried. Worked great but requires dragging a laptop to field to make adjustments. I’m not familiar with the hobby eagle, so no comment.

Since you you fly jeti, I would use a Rex 7 assist. One device that serves as rx and flight stabilization (gyros). The real benefit comes with all adjustments performed via your Tx.

i have found the cortex pro to have a slight edge in a high performance 3D plane...but at a much higher cost ($300 + cost of rx).
                                      hi, now some time gone by from this post ,

any other thoughts on jeti rex 7 assist receiver for gyro features?

i have also used aura8 and cortex In the past but would prefer use gyro features built into Jeti receiver , so all in one device and controlled from jeti transmitter

Think the jeti rex 7 assist is solid for gyro features?

thanks for your thoughts !!

note - I am new to Jeti and to the F-22

Comment

• Hello everyone!

I purchased the Freewing 60mm (2.55") x 17mm PU Rubber Treaded Wheel for 4.2mm Axle for the mains and the Freewing 45mm (1.77") x 16mm PU Rubber Treaded Wheel for 4.2mm Axle for the nose for my F-22. I didn't realize the stock axle was going to be too long due to the bulge in the center of the stock hubs. If I use the stock axle then I would have to leave the gear doors off. I'd prefer to use a different axle that allows them to stay put.

Anyone know which axle works with these wheels and the Freewing F-22? The MRC site does not have the specifications on the various axles so there's no way to pick one by looking it up.

Edit: Going to try the F-16 axles for now as I spotted a Q&A answer on the F-16 axle that says its 29mm on the mains. That should be close.

Comment

• Originally posted by rcfun View Post

hi, now some time gone by from this post ,

any other thoughts on jeti rex 7 assist receiver for gyro features?

i have also used aura8 and cortex In the past but would prefer use gyro features built into Jeti receiver , so all in one device and controlled from jeti transmitter

Think the jeti rex 7 assist is solid for gyro features?

thanks for your thoughts !!

note - I am new to Jeti and to the F-22
                                          I use Jeti Assist in most of my bigger planes,from my Jet legend F16 turbine to my Freewing AL37. I put a REX assist 10 in the F22 and I still don't seem to be able to dial it in completely so I have been flying it without the gyro and prefer it. I'm sure I will get it working well with the gyro but as it is I just fly it on calmer days without the gyro on. IMO its an odd airframe and whatever the standard settings on jet models for jeti assist it doesn't seem to work well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X