X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha (or anybody):

I am considering adding an Eagle gyro -- I've never used one, and I'm thinking of trying the A3L -- not only because it's the least expensive, but the simplest -- I figure the least I can screw up doing the setup. I'm mostly looking to reduce wing-rock as the wind picks up.

I'm using the Admiral 10-channel diversity Rx -- I'm running my nose steering to a separate channel (mixed with rudder) to allow for independent sub-trim. I'm thinking I would run ONLY the nose steering through the gyro, in hopes of keeping the model straight on take-offs. If I understand this right, I can set the "gain" of the gyro to be variable on the "R Knob" on my new DX8. Currently I have the dual elevator servos and dual rudder servos Y-connected directly to the Rx (bypassing the blue box).

OK, tell me what I have right and what I've got wrong in this plan! Is it a mistake to go with the cheapest Eagle (considering I'm only looking for basic stabilization and nothing unique in programming)?

I flew my 6s Raptor three more times today (flights 5, 6 7) -- best flights and landings yet, and really enjoying this terrific model, as I start to explore the flight envelope. Obviously I'm a little concerned about adding a gyro -- and through some mistake on my part turn a gorgeous model into a puddle of foam.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
      Alpha (or anybody):

I am considering adding an Eagle gyro -- I've never used one, and I'm thinking of trying the A3L -- not only because it's the least expensive, but the simplest -- I figure the least I can screw up doing the setup. I'm mostly looking to reduce wing-rock as the wind picks up.

I'm using the Admiral 10-channel diversity Rx -- I'm running my nose steering to a separate channel (mixed with rudder) to allow for independent sub-trim. I'm thinking I would run ONLY the nose steering through the gyro, in hopes of keeping the model straight on take-offs. If I understand this right, I can set the "gain" of the gyro to be variable on the "R Knob" on my new DX8. Currently I have the dual elevator servos and dual rudder servos Y-connected directly to the Rx (bypassing the blue box).

OK, tell me what I have right and what I've got wrong in this plan! Is it a mistake to go with the cheapest Eagle (considering I'm only looking for basic stabilization and nothing unique in programming)?

I flew my 6s Raptor three more times today (flights 5, 6 7) -- best flights and landings yet, and really enjoying this terrific model, as I start to explore the flight envelope. Obviously I'm a little concerned about adding a gyro -- and through some mistake on my part turn a gorgeous model into a puddle of foam.
      I may not understand exactly what you are trying to control via use of gyros but would defiantly want ailerons active. Nose steering is manageable without gyro as well as rudder and elevator, but activate those too if possible.
      Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

Alpha (or anybody):

I have the A3L in mine. Admiral 10ch receiver as well. I run elevator, ailerons, nose stearing and rudder through it and it is on all the time. I set only gain 1 and turn gain 2 all the way down. I have not bypassed the blue box and don't see a need to do so. My A3L is wired in between the blue box and receiver. Gain 1 is at about 10 o'clock and it is solid in the air.

Comment

• Just some minor painting left to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_184127.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	168327

Name:	IMG_20181223_230247.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	168328

Comment

• Looks great! Did you end up swapping out the front wheel, or did you replace the whole nose gear?

Comment

• Just the front wheel. Nose wheel from 90mm F-16.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                Just the front wheel. Nose wheel from 90mm F-16.
                Don't you mean an F-16 main wheel? ;)
                Pat

Comment

Just some minor painting left to do.

Name:	IMG_20181223_184127.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	168327
                  Did you buy the blisters or make them?
                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    Did you buy the blisters or make them?
                    Yes... I would like to print, or buy a set..... :-) or are these... medication plastic packaging...???
                    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• I vacuum formed them.

Comment

• Now with the missile bay...

Name:	IMG_20181224_101826.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	168355

Name:	IMG_20181224_102216.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	168356

Comment

• One of the jet (turbine) guys, Patrick, volunteered to use my good Sony for some video of the F-22. He only lost it once when I was doing the vertical roll and he zoomed in a little too tight.
                          Wish I could take credit for the maneuver around the 3:30 mark but it was an accident. I didn't have quite enough throttle applied and it stalled. Looked pretty cool though, but next time I'd prefer to have a little more altitude. I found myself glad that Freewing added the hard plastic wingtip undersides too when I tried to turn before it had bled off enough speed..

My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

Now with the missile bay...

Name:	IMG_20181224_101826.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	168355

Name:	IMG_20181224_102216.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	168356
                            Looks really good with the lights and raised canopy Steve! I wonder if internal bays are possible?- I may try... Meantime, the little guy is ready for his jet.
                            Merry Christmas everyone!
                            Tom

Comment

• F-22 8S problem. Has anyone had a problem with starting the motor after binding? Control surfaces all work but not the throttle. Motion RC has replaced the USC and BEC but that didn't change the problem. I'm using Spektrum DX9 and Spektrum 9 channel receiver. Throttle is set to low trim and Throttle Travel is set to 120+ on Low throttle.

Comment

Alpha (or anybody):

Once the plane is about 1-2 seconds into takeoff roll the rudders are better, and safer, for keeping the plane tracking straight while on the ground. I use the A3S3 in most my EDFs and to be able to change modes AND adjust gain requires 2 separate channels. It’s definitely worth the price for the A3S3. They work great in all the planes I have (most of Freewing’s military selection). After you install one they become very easy to program with a laptop. With adjustable gain, you don’t need to replug it into a laptop all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhpilot View Post
                                  F-22 8S problem. Has anyone had a problem with starting the motor after binding? Control surfaces all work but not the throttle. Motion RC has replaced the USC and BEC but that didn't change the problem. I'm using Spektrum DX9 and Spektrum 9 channel receiver. Throttle is set to low trim and Throttle Travel is set to 120+ on Low throttle.
                                  Is it beeping? I don't understand why you've got the throttle travel at the low end set at +120. Usually, you crank the travel more at the high end (if you feel you might get a little extra on the top end). More importantly, what does the throttle show on the monitor? On any of my models, with the trim tab on the face of the TX clicked to as low as it will go, my monitor says -129. If you've got your travel at the low end set to +120, your monitor should be reading something like -150. That seems a bit too low. Are you sure your throttle channel isn't reversed? Again, what's the monitor say? Mine says -129 to +100, from low to high. Your's should say -150 to +100.

Comment

• Spektrum... one end f throttle should be +100 to 120 %.... the other end should be -100 to -120% If both are at +120% then center of stick is 0 which is HALF THROTTLE (centered servo) And both ends of stick travel are full throttle (Spektrum "mode" ESC... Futaba "mode" ESC would have both be 0 throttle)... and thus never initialize any ESC.

Plug a servo in the Throttle channel and power up the RX system without an ESC connected. See how the servo responds to throttle stick Play with the EPA/ATV/Endpoint adjustments. You will instantly see what I mean. If you are not getting at least 100 deg of servo travel, you won't initialize most ESCs that want to see a high throttle value followed by a low throttle value.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Added an afterburner ring to the center burner because I miss the blue flame effect during taxi. An early morning test flight as tomorrow's Christmas present hopefully.
                                       - Breakthrough Afterburn Jet Effect, Color Change From Blue To Yellow To Red, At The Same Time, The Brightness Of Afterburn Responds To Throttle Channel.- Safe Power On With The Battery Polarity Reversal Protection Function. If The Input Polarity Is Not Correct,  The Controller Wi

Comment

• This morning's flight; the aluminum foil tape really out did the chrome spray paint in the exhaust. The center burner seems so much brighter now.

Comment

• Originally posted by urrl View Post
                                          This morning's flight; the aluminum foil tape really out did the chrome spray paint in the exhaust. The center burner seems so much brighter now.
                                          Looks amazing dude!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X